An internal SCEE Q+A re. PS3, from E3, has made its way onto the web. It's an interesting read - in many ways they would have been better off just releasing this, it would have better communicated some of their points. The highlights, by my reading, or 'new' info:
- Console Assembly will start simultaneously in Japan & China in the summer
- Main semiconductor manufacturing had already started as of E3.
- Specifications are "very close to final"
- Hints at DLNA compliancy (see questions on HDMI)
- Stresses "PS3 is a computer" - notes that standard USB adaptors can be used with PS3. Specifically notes that you'll be able to use standard card readers, wifi adaptors and usb port multipliers (although doesn't address how this will be achieved wrt drivers), and transfer data from PCs and other AV/CE devices.
- The noise output of PS3 is approx 29 db! (Or roughly the same as a slim PS2).
- PS3 is 'BD Live' compliant. (Internet-connected Blu-ray features, like downloadable content and Picture-in-Picture info browsing during movies etc.)
- Up to 8 controllers are supported (presumably 4 wireless + 4 wired).