Is a pattern forming? Yes, casting a certain kinda fella has become a trendy next-gen staple says Destructoid. It appears that companies cannot build a succesful scary game unless the protagonist falls under the following strict guidelines:
(1) Must be ruggedly emo. The bigger the chin, the better.
(2) Must wearing a leather jacket at all times. Especially when dealing with the forces of evil in any climate under dim lighting.
(3) Must have medium length hair unless there's a military angle.
(4) Must not own a pair of shorts. Ever. Converse shoes? Fired. Baseball cap? Fired. If a model shows up in an ironic T-Shirt he will be turned away.
(5) Brow must protrude enough to totally cloak eye sockets whenever possible. Must stand directly under lamps when milling around for added effect.
(6) The more perpetually moody, the better. Must never look scared, no matter what kind of crazy shit presents itself. The more sullen and distant, the better!