Submitted by Krike 2010d ago | article

The best RPGs for the PS3

Looking for a new game and not knowing where to start? PlayStationPure is trying to help you out with this special. We provide you a list of all the best games available for the PS3, so you have no troubles finding the perfect game. Today: the greatest RPG games! (Enchanted Arms, Eternal Sonata, Fallout 3, Folklore, PS3, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Valkyria Chronicles)

APOFISBORICUA  +   2010d ago
THIS REALLY SHOWS
The lack of more varied RPG's on the PS3. At least they are coming. I hope the games keep coming. I think that FALLOUT 3 isnt that great, Oblivion is a better choice if you want a western RPG, Eternal Sonata is a good game also. I think that Folklore to me is more os an action game with just a few RPGs element. I also think that Folkore is the most underated and underapreciated game on the PS3. The game is just AMAZING!! Too bad that people didnt bought it, as that have assured a sequel. Also Valkyria Cronicles is the best strategy RPG available on any console and the best RPG on the PS3... to bad its sales warranty a PSP downgrade on the sequel.
The games are coming PS3 fans, owr RPG dose soon will be given with Tales of Vesperia and Demons Souls, so instead of posting here defending the PS3, bashing the 360 or vice versa...if you have a PS3 buy its exclusives. At least 360 fans did that. Also I dont think that rigth now the 360 has a quality RPG also as Im playingLost Odyssey and even if its a good game its had its fault. The only one I can think is Mass Effect but really its tematic and style doesnt appeal everyone. At least it got a sequel coming. A very good one I believe. Too much games to play in the fall and early next year.

PEACE AND GAMING!!!
#1 (Edited 2010d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
JL  +   2010d ago
First off, I have to disagree (though I didn't hit the button) with the "lack of more varied RPGs on PS3" comment. I mean, from what I see, we have action/rpg, western RPG, traditional RPG, tactical RPG. So, I'm not sure how it doesn't seem varied. Unless of course you mean lack of depth in the genre, which then I might agree with (at least here in US), which is evident indeed when they're including something like Enchanted Arms in a Top 10 list. However, like you said, that's all about to change really quick, thankfully.

Also something I definitely will agree with is Valkyria Chronicles. God I love that game. Pure awesomeness. It really is a shame it didn't sell better. I'm going to have to borrow my roommate's PSP just to play the sequel.

Is Folklore really that good (btw it's an action-rpg, so yea, still rpg)? I'm going to have to pick that up, I've been meaning to try it out, and played some short demo on psn a long while back (which was ok, but didn't really stand out to me, then again neither did the VC demo and we know how that turned out). So I may very well have to give Folklore a try, especially since I'm sure I can get it pretty cheap at this point.

Personally I really really liked Fallout 3. Though I will have to agree, Oblivion was better for mine. Both games though I thought were great and they both sucked LOTS of hours out of my life.

We definitely have some gems coming up too. I'll definitely be picking up Demon's Souls. And I'll get Tales of Vesperia if it ever releases over here (you mention it, but, unless I've missed something, I don't know that it's even been confirmed to be coming to the US). Also will be getting Dragon Age and Borderlands and Alpha Protocol. I think that's all for this year (of course I could be missing something). Plus have WKC and FF coming early next year. So definitely things are going to turn around for the RPG front of PS3 really quick and soon.
SaiyanFury  +   2010d ago
Tales of Vesperia is coming to the US thanks to a reliable source here on N4G. I can't wait for it. The best RPG experiences on the PS3 so far are undoubtedly Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles. If a great game like ToV comes out, that will further the library. We need only have patience.
JL  +   2010d ago
I must have missed that then. I remember "hints" that they were planning on localizing, just never saw anything definite and surely not a date. When is Tales coming over here?

And I agree, VC is hands down the best RPG to come out for the PS3 this generation so far. I haven't played Demon's Souls yet, but from what I've heard/read/seen, sounds like it's going to be amazing too. Can't wait.
APOFISBORICUA  +   2009d ago
IT SEEMS EVERYBODY...
dissagrees but nobody read the comment. Fanboys...just so inmature. Anyways keep your fanboyism, with it you are not helping the PS3 or the 360. Im helping Sony more than you fanboys because at least I bougth and will be buying its exclusives. Not like most of you. Jesus This Site is REALLY Crap!!!! A fanboys hive. You cant post the minimal thing when you have all the rabid ones behind you wanting to bite your A$$. LOL!

ANYWAYS:

PEACE AND GAMING!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: It seems that thanks to my post my bubbles are going to dissapear LOL!! TAKE THEM if you want but I believe I didnt said anything bad. I Bet most of you dont even read past the first sentence. LOL!!
#1.4 (Edited 2009d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
JL  +   2009d ago
Wow, somebody is having a fit. Calm down dude. I read your entire post, but I still disagreed with some things in it. For one, I disagreed with the "lack of more varied RPGs" comment. I think that was just 'cause you worded it wrong though and you meant there just aren't alot of RPGs on the console. In which case, I do agree the selection in the RPG genre for PS3 is a bit slim. However, the way you worded it, it sounded more like a comment on the style of RPGs to me (like they're all the same thing). I also disagree with saying Fallout 3 wasn't that good, cause I had lots of fun playing that game and loved it. However, I do agree with that Oblivion was better.

Here's the point though, you gave an opinion. Some people are going to have a different opinion. Thus, they're going to disagree. So they hit the disagree button. See how that works? Is it really so bad that people disagree with you? Granted I know some on here go overboard with it and disagree with things in almost an abusive manner. I do disagree with taking away your bubbles if they did that. As far as everyone always getting in an uproar because people disagree with them though: big deal, get over it. Of course not everyone is going to have the same opinion as you (granted I can see fanboys on both sides disagreeing with you out of spite: Sony fanboys 'cause they read that first sentence and was done, the Xbox fanboys because they saw you said something like Sony is going to really start getting some good RPGs, then mentioned that xbox doesn't have many quality RPGs either). People need to chill out, though.
Sangria  +   2010d ago
"Buy if you want to experience an epic story with all it shows up."

Sorry but no. I bought Eternal Sonata wishing it could have a great story (i found the synopsis about Chopin's death really interesting) but the game is pretty short and there is no character beside Chopin that have an interesting psychology (and even there, Chopin is not that great).

If we had to sum up everyone's psychology:
- Chopin: This world is my dream, i don't care about you.
- Polka: I will die but i like your idea, Chopin.
- Allegretto: I love her but shh.
- Beat: Kawaii idiot.
- Viola: I love him but shh.
- Salsa / March: Kawaii idiots.
- Jazz: I'm f-ing serious.
- Falsetto: I love him but shh.
- Claves: I love him but i have a dark secret.
- Crescendo: I am peaceful.
- Serenade: I am Crescendo's wife.

That's all. And to me, there are four things a RPG must have to be good: great architectures, great battle system, great scenario and great characters design and psychology. And Eternal Sonata only has the two first. It really disappointed me whereas it had a so great scenario potential.
#2 (Edited 2010d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
A LIVING LEGEND  +   2010d ago
Few and far between.Starvation leads to desperation.....
Never mention Enchanted Arms,EVER.
The PS3 is lacking in this regard,however 'niche'.Oblivion was,imho,utter and complete trash.Morrowind was superior,less the visuals.
Demon Souls,WKC,Borderlands,etc.etc. ....
"A bird in hand is worth two in the bush".The drought is nearly over.
I almost forgot Fallout,how strange.A great idea yet not fully realized.I like the 'bleak,war torn world of mans worst intentions' but reducing said world to 'go here' get 'gun' isn't a long term relationship that I remember fondly.
RealityCheck  +   2010d ago
I agree with every single point you made even though some of these thoughts are almost taboo to say aloud around here, but it's true. Bubble up.
Obama  +   2010d ago
VC is the best jrpg this generation so far. I hear good things about Demon souls so it should be another great rpg as well.
keysy420  +   2010d ago
enchanted arms
may be the worst game of this gen 360 and ps3
JonnyBigBoss  +   2010d ago
Valkyria Chronicles is the best RPG so far this generation.
UltimateIdiot911  +   2010d ago
Yes, it's so far the best I've seen. Gameplay is simple and if you know your troops well, then most missions will be a breeze but the challenges on hard mode is hard. The story is amazing though cliches but nonetheless I loved it. I dislike the anime though not at hate yet, it's drifting off tangent from the story by a lot especially with adding Falido in everything.
San Frandisco  +   2010d ago
H3llz yeah VC FTMFRPGW!
The_Zeitgeist  +   2010d ago
Once again they always forget Folklore with these lists. Has no one played it.
2Negative  +   2010d ago
Folklore is on page 3 of the articale.

Fallout 3 (Note: 89%)
Eternal Sonata (Note: 80%)
The Elder Scrolls VI: Obilivion (Note: 89%)
Valkyria Chronicles (Note: 85%)
Enchanted Arms (64%)
Folklore (Note: 87%)
#8.1 (Edited 2010d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
somekindofmike  +   2010d ago
lol, well done on reading the article ;) you'd make a good detective :)

I recently picked up folklore yesterday, after hearing so many good things about it being a bit of a hidden gem, I'm only about 2 hours into it, but I'm hooked and can't wait till my next opportunity to play.

In these short two hours, I already care about the characters & the story, and I want to know what happens! that already puts it into the top percentage of elite games that make me care! other games such as killzone / cod4 are great games, fun to play, but as far as i'm concerned very forgetable stories, the only reason I play those over and over is for a completist pleasure & trophies.
#8.2 (Edited 2010d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
JL  +   2010d ago
@mike
I think you just sold me on Folklore and pushed me over the edge there. I've heard good things about it too. So I've been kinda wanting to try it out. I remember playing the demo and not being TOO into it (not that it was bad, just didn't stand out for me at the time), so was kinda on the fence about it. However, that's very much how Valkyria Chronicles was for me too. The demo didn't stand out, kept hearing good things about it, then broke down and bought it and LOVED it. That was alot due to the fact that, like you mention for Folkore, I became attached to the characters and story really quick. And VC turned out to be probably my second favorite game this generation so far. So yea, I think you sold me, I'll pick up Folklore sometime soon.
shovelbum  +   2009d ago
I have yet to play Folklore but I plan on it very soon.
Naar  +   2010d ago
Cross Edge is the best JRPG to now
also Valkyria Chronicles is great game amazing story but still cross edge have better game play for the ppl who love JRPG
rukia_chan  +   2010d ago
white cronicles is the best.
Bazookajoe_83  +   2010d ago
Demons soul
I can strongly recommend it to everyone who likes rpg´s, one of the best ive played.
Tee7soo  +   2010d ago
Demons soul
is the best on the ps3 , and a must buy for all rpg players .
INehalemEXI  +   2010d ago
Demons Souls
Indeed a must buy for PS3 owners who are into rpg's.
bankai  +   2010d ago
only two good games on this list
eternal sonata and valkyria chronicles

i dunno why everyone is saying demons soul, what if the game comes out and it sucks ass. people need to play a game before saying its good.

man i hate best of lists
ThatCanadianGuy  +   2010d ago
Ever think like, you know, people have played it??

I own the game, most people i know own the game and we've all come to agreement.The game is f*cking fantastic.
SaiyanFury  +   2010d ago
I will tell you now, Demon's Souls is an incredible RPG experience. I am not hyping it, I'm speaking from experience. I got the Asian/English version back in February and it's awesome. It's not for the light-hearted, but it's great.
bankai  +   2009d ago
i would actually like to say thank you to the two posts above me.

thats one thing i was worried about was it being overhyped garbage.

its developed From Software the same dev that did kingsfield and i hated that game. however they also did Tenchu which i like.

so though i am looking forward to this game, i have been very skeptical
winther_  +   2010d ago
Fallout 3 is indeed one of the best RPG's on PS3 ever.. However, I also own Oblivion since Im a big Bethesda fan, although, I find Oblivion to be very hard playing on a console unless you are playing some sort of archer class.. Or maybe Im just doing something wrong, as I always get my ass beated when playing sword/shield class og two-handed clas.
NaiNaiNai  +   2010d ago
Rofl all but 2 are on the 360. XD >.> its funny to see people attacking 360 pages for this, but no its okay here. XD just classic.
#16 (Edited 2010d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
themyk  +   2010d ago
folklore.
DonCorneo  +   2009d ago
Right on, bro. Folklore is a gem.
It is the PS3's fable 2.

In fact, it has better graphics than gayble even though it was released a year prior. It is also longer than gayble - gayble can be beaten in 8 hours. It has a better story/narrative than gayble. The murder mystery is intriguing and the twists are just insane while gayble's is just plain and uninteresting. The design and atmosphere are also top-notch. But its combat system is what really makes it much, much better than gayble.

Oh yeah, there are epic boss fights and the sub-bosses are also fun.
#17.1 (Edited 2009d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
NobleRed  +   2010d ago
This list is an epical fail
First no Demons Souls in the list and this is the best RPG for the ps3 and second Fallout 3 is buggy as hell.
Immortal Kaim  +   2010d ago
Currently playing Valkyria Chronicles, really enjoying it. I'm starting Tales of Vesperia when I finished, couldn't be bothered waiting for the Aus PS3 version to arrive.
Magnus  +   2009d ago
I wish Sony braught out a new Wild Arms game for the Ps3 Tales of Vesperia I am stoked about and White Knight I am waiting for aswell. But I am not a big fan of strategy rpgs and I am not a big fan of Oblivion and Fallout 3. Sony made alot of great rpgs for the Ps2 but since the PS3 its as if they have stopped I know I am getting FF13 for my PS3 and I might rent the 360 version just to see how it runs. I wonder whats going on in Japan I need more JRPGS for my PS3 besides Cross Edge, Disgaea, Eternal Sonata, and Valkyre Chronicles. Atelier Rorona shoud be coming soon to fill the empty void of my JRPGS.
gersh  +   2009d ago
Did they forget Disgaea 3? I didn't see it or Cross Edge.
theusedfake  +   2009d ago
they definitely did forget them.
Disgaea 3 was amazing, haven't played
Cross Edge yet though.
#21.1 (Edited 2009d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Gun_Senshi  +   2008d ago
oblivion and fallout3 suck

A Week In The Hub: 18th-24th January 2015

17m ago - Neil writes "Looking to brush up on the best Xbox One and Xbox 360 news, reviews and videos from... | Xbox 360

NightTime Terrors Unveils New Screenshots

18m ago - VRFocus - Following the release of VRBits' NightTime Terrors, the company has unveiled new screen... | PC

Amazon Video Game Deals of the Week: 1/25 Edition

19m ago - Gamerdeals: "Amazon has updated their video game deals section with discounts and price matchi... | Nintendo DS

Review: Electronic Super Joy: Groove City (Wii U eShop) | NLife

20m ago - NLife: "Electronic Super Joy: Groove City is a weird game. The plot involves a giant robot strip... | Wii U

See what games are coming out in 2015

Now - Visit our release calendar to see what games are coming out in 2015. | Promoted post

Dying Light Trophy List