The next generation of Sony EyeToy has been provisionally dated as having a release of 'Summer' in Europe. Possibly to coincide with the release of the PlayStation 3 version of Singstar which will make use of many of its features.
Designed specifically to work with the next generation of social gaming titles and new services being developed for PS3, key features of the PLAYSTATION Eye include:
• A sophisticated microphone with the ability to reduce background noise and focus on the spoken word for smoother, more accurate speech recognition and transfer
• The ability to capture videos and audio clips directly to your PS3's hard disk drive
• Engineered to perform well even in low-light conditions
• A range of different capturing modes, including slow motion and time-lapse
• Faster frame rate for improved tracking, responsiveness and smoothness
• Two position zoom lens for close-up and full body options
• A range of eye-catching visual effects to apply to photos and videos
• Bundled with EyeCreate editing software, which allows users to save and edit photos, video and audio clips
At this stage it is unconfirmed whether the camera will be different from that used with the upcoming PS3 card game Eye of Judgement.