Top
120°

No Charges To Be Filed Following Water-Drinking Death

No criminal charges will be filed following the death of a woman who took part in a radio station water-drinking contest in January, the Sacramento County district attorney said Monday.

Jennifer Strange, 28, died Jan. 12 after drinking nearly two gallons of water in a competition sponsored by 107.9 The End. Contestants were vying for a Nintendo Wii video game system.

Strange did not win the contest, which took place during the station's Morning Rave show. She was found dead hours later in her Rancho Cordova home. A preliminary coroner's report said Strange showed symptoms of water intoxication.

Strange's death was investigated by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department homicide bureau and submitted to District Attorney Jan Scully's office for the possible filing of criminal charges.

But Scully's office said in a prepared statement that given the circumstances of the case, it appears that no criminal activity took place.

The story is too old to be commented.
neogeo3403d ago

It sometimes happens to runners . They drink tons of water and don't get enough electro lights in there diet. It requires you heart to maintain a normal beat. Then you get a drop dead heart attack. I know because I was a personal trainer for five years. I must say that its very rare. She must have been eating bad.

Rooted_Dust3403d ago

Yes it has to do with electrolytes, but it can happen to anyone who tries to drink that much water. Water is toxic to the body in those quantities. Some guys did this for Fraternity initiation a few years ago and some kid died after he passed out while trying to drink two gallons of water. They were found liable as these radio host also should have been found liable. I don't blame the video games, just the idiots in charge of the contest.

scarlett_rg3403d ago

Gotta disagree with you there Rooted. It's not like they were holding her down forcing her to drink water. She was drinking it by her own merit.

It's an unfortunate situation, but the radio station should not be liable.

The decision made was the correct one.

neogeo3403d ago

Because when I was in collage I tried to drink a gallon of beer and I did it, Then puked everywhere. sounds like water is more toxic
j/k

Dragonopolis3403d ago

A person can easily drink gallons of water just not all at once (same goes for anything).

Too much of a good thing with in a short period of time is a bad thing. However, If I didn't drink 2 gallons a water a day in Iraq I would have been hurting.

I don't think people realize how dangerous those "all you can stuff" contest are. I remember reading an article were some lady died from potassium poisoning from an Banana eating contest.

Just because something is good for you doesn't mean you gorge on it.

That said, quickly dying from water is rare. Soldiers that have drank to much water above their needs always show symptoms way before it ever reaches that point.

ChickeyCantor3403d ago

"show symptoms way before it ever reaches that point."
she said things like i feel light headed and dizzy crap like that, she got her warning, coming from her own body......and ignoring it killed her.

003403d ago

lesson learned today is to much of a good thing is a bad thing.