A study published in the journal Pediatrics has found a surprising link between gaming and carbon monoxide poisoning, which emerged following the impact of Hurricane Ike in Texas.
After a hurricane knocks out electricity from an area, carbon-monoxide poisoning cases are expected among residents who use gasoline-fired generators. It was commonly believed that most victims generated electricity for lighting, air conditioners and refrigerators. Now it appears that a large number use the generators for gaming.
Following the storm, in September, the Memorial Hermann Hospital-Texas Medical Center treated children for carbon monoxide poisoning, a surprising number of which reported having played videogames before falling ill.
The findings are important as more parents now turn to games consoles to provide children with post-disaster releif.