Gabe Graziani from GameSpy writes:
"In the interests of full disclosure, I have to say that I've never played a Total War game before. My duties over the past few years at GameSpy have primarily focused on the console side of gaming, so my contact with the extreme edge of hardcore RTSes or 4X games has been limited to the likes of Command & Conquer 3 and Halo Wars (notice that I didn't even mention Civilization Revolution... I may not be super-conversant, but I'm not stupid either). So when Miguel asked me to sit in on a demo of Empire: Total War, my first reaction was, 'Me? Really?'"
* Incredibly expansive, a game of massive scale
* Superb attention to detail
* Relatively simple user interface
* A steep (albeit surmountable) learning curve
* Crushingly clever AI
* Friendly fire is "on" for cannon emplacements