Away from the madness of the team selection, it's as solid a game as you'd expect from any sports title with Mario's name attached. There's a Challenge mode where you're forced to pick from certain characters – which is also how you unlock some of the hidden horrors on the roster – and a decent variety of playing fields that come with their own unique hazards and occasionally bizarre obstructions.
- Enormous roster of characters
- Crisp, clean look
- Engrossing to arrange your team
- Some generic music themes
- Controls no better than Wii Sports
- Not the game we were hoping for