Submitted by jtorry 2206d ago | news

Rare: Perfect Dark and Kameo 'sold phenomenally well'

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at last week's Develop conference in Brighton, Rare senior software engineer Nick Burton hit out at reports suggesting Xbox 360 launch titles Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero bombed at retail.

"One of the things that I always find funny is when people always quote Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero as being flops at the launch of the 360," said Burton. "In the industry if you break even you're lucky, you're in the minority. If you make a decent amount of money you're really in the minority. You're in the top percentile. Those two games made a lot of money. For the install base they sold phenomenally well. Kameo is still selling now." (Culture, Dev, Industry, Kameo: Elements of Power, Perfect Dark Zero, Xbox 360)

RadientFlux  +   2206d ago
Kameo was an excellent game. I still remember saying wow when I first tried the game on my first HD tv.

Perfect Dark Zero is another story it was just boring. Thankfully I traded it for Condemned a few days after purchase.
Rich1631  +   2206d ago
I never played Kameo but I agree with Perfect Dark being boring. Everything was too shiny and just well...crap. I don't care if it got a 9.0 on gamespot.com, that game SUCKS!!!
GiantEnemyCrab  +   2206d ago
Agreed. Kameo was an awesome launch title. I remember seeing the thousands of enemies on screen and going "WOW!". Still one of my favorite platformers on the 360.

Perfect Dark not so much.
Chubear  +   2206d ago
Interesting how no figures were given
Just "...phenominally well". What, not even shipped numbers for us to gauge? I mean, if they sold "phenominally well" there sure as hell ould be sequels by now or at the very least announced for a future release date.

The 360 is in it's coming to it's 3rd year with these games being launch window games. I'd think at least an announcement of sequels would be in line.
#1.3 (Edited 2206d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
enkeixpress  +   2206d ago
Great games.
They are both excellent games. Great graphics too.

If you can find them both for cheap... Well.. I really wouldn't pass if I was you.
TOSgamer  +   2206d ago
I agree with you.
Just played a couple of levels of Perfect Dark Zero the other day and although the graphics are outdated the gameplay still employs lots of stuff shooters today don't do. Such as being able to choose your starting weapons before every mission, varied environments, breakaway armor on the enemies, multiple paths and co-op that employs different routes for each player.
Elven6  +   2206d ago
It was also the first Xbox 360 game to employ a multiplayer squad system, it was a bit hidden though, in the options menu but it's their alright! It should have been made a bit clearer though.
Superfragilistic  +   2206d ago
And don't forget the very early third-person cover system! ;)
#2.3 (Edited 2206d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Gitaroo  +   2206d ago
thats because there werent really anything else to check out at launch.
Covenant  +   2206d ago
Kameo was my first 360 game, and is still a personal favorite. I still play it every once in a while. Very underrated game.

PDZero, on the other hand, may have sold well, but it's an average game, at best. It's not so much that it's a bad game, it's just not terribly good, either.
PimpDaddy  +   2206d ago
I agree
I bought Kameo for my kids. It's alot of fun. We also still bust it out from time to time.

I rented Perfect Dark at launch. It was a little above average for a fps this generation. I'm sure it got most of it's sales from being a launch game.

I think more people would like Perfect Dark if there wasn't such a good variety of shooters on the 360.
#4.1 (Edited 2206d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
The Wood  +   2206d ago
and spiderman 3 did well at the box office
your point being???
tplarkin7  +   2206d ago
Both games are good.
PDZ is a solid FPS with some of the best weapons ever made. Kameo was a great platformer. If Mario replaced Kameo, many people would say it was the best platformer ever made.
Rhezin  +   2206d ago
God I hope N64 Perfect Dark comes to XBLA
best game EVAR!
Superfragilistic  +   2206d ago
I think your wishes will be answered. Rumours a while back from the Quartermaster speculated about Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Banjo being developed for XBLA. Given 2 have now been proven true I'd say Perfect Dark is a given. ;)
kazuma  +   2206d ago
goldeneye xbla true?

On January 11, 2008, 1UP.com reported that a GoldenEye port (as opposed to a remake) had been in development at Rare for several months, but stated that the title would not be released on Xbox Live Arcade since "Microsoft and Nintendo couldn't agree on the financial side of things."

activision owns the rights for the james bond video games, then u have microsoft and nintendo, which both clearly want their title on their online service...goldeneye is quite a problem.

perfect dark and banjo however are more likely, and probably will appear on both services.
Auron  +   2206d ago
Loved em both
still waiting on another Kameo and Perfect Dark BUT!!! I will say that that PDZ had some annoying voice actors.
Elven6  +   2206d ago
Thats good, they are both phenomenal games that deserve to sell well, could this be a indication of a sequel?
Superfragilistic  +   2206d ago
Reading all the interviews (6 pages!) he drops a number of hints. PD appears to be in the mix, although he claims that they're making what European gamers call hardcore, but which Americans would not... which seems to rule out a standard FPS.

He also talks a lot about sandboxes and user creation being in their secret projects, so a new IP, Conker or Kameo might be in the mix...

But call me crazy, but Rare's focus on sanboxes, user creation, humour, multiplayer, and art design along with their similar efforts with Jet Force Gemini has me thinking they might be reinventing the Crimson Skies IP or something closely related to both! ;)
#9.1 (Edited 2206d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Tsalagi  +   2206d ago
"Kameo sold phenomenally"
Then get your a$$es to work on a sequel then!!!!
Covenant  +   2206d ago
Amen, brother! I would welcome more Kameo.
Dark_Vendetta  +   2206d ago
I'm expecting Kameo 2 after Banjo3! Keep the games coming RARE
#10.2 (Edited 2206d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
PoorDroids  +   2206d ago
Good games. I've been a proud owner of both since day 1.

Just speaking of the visuals, I'd love to know of a PS3 launch game which looked HALF as amazing as either of these titles. You won't find one. Sad sh1t.

Poor droids.
richierich  +   2206d ago
The only reason they sold well was because there werent that much other games for the console at the time of the 360 launch. If they were released today it wouldnt be long before they would be in bargain bins.
#12 (Edited 2206d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
Skadoosh  +   2206d ago
Kameo is one of the most underrated game of all time. For me it definitely put Rare back on track. Here's hoping for a sequel.
Adropacrich2  +   2206d ago
Though PDZ was fairly flawed what with the silly rag dolls and other wierd unfinished stuff, it wasn't a crap game just one the majority of us sold soon after launch - get it back and you'll see it has a lot still going for it.

For one the weapon's sound and how they solidly impacted felt better that just about all fps - same too with Goldeneye and PD - even Halo doesn't feel quite as satistfying and that's saying something

I could have done without that prat of a dad though and was pleased when he snuffed it

Kameo is a very nice title of course

People have a clouded version of what Rare was back in the N64 days.Granted they did some marvelous stuff like Diddykong,Goldeneye,PD etc but Donkeykong, Jet Force Gemini(one of my faves) and even the mighty Banjo wasn't as good as the likes of Kameo for instance.We were impressed my less in those days and going back to play some of these reveals certainly less than we remember.

The new Banjo looks intelligent and fun and proves clearly enough that the Rare of today is just as good as it ever was in light of the hardware advances
#14 (Edited 2206d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Dota 2 custom maps are coming

19m ago - Dota 2 introduces the Alpha phase of Custom Games into the Workshop Tools reviving old favourites... | PC

Adventures of Pip Relaunches Kickstarter Campaign

34m ago - After an unsuccessful run earlier this year, TicToc Games has re-launched the Kickstarter campaig... | PC

Rogue Legacy Review - 8BitChimp

36m ago - Being released on the PC last year, those of the “master race” had a chance to play it first whil... | PC

Final Fantasy Explorers New Screens Showcase Hunter Job, Locations And More

47m ago - A new batch of screenshots is now available for Final Fantasy Explorers, showcasing the new Hunte... | 3DS

Start Making Games for the PS4