Submitted by Scholla 63d ago | opinion piece

So That’s It? My Gaming Year Filled With Remasters And Sports Games?

SchollA from Console ControllUs - as in the console controls us writes:
We’re approaching the fourth quarter in gaming and I realized I don’t have any Triple A titles to look FORWARD to in what’s become the “push BACK” year. (Grand Theft Auto V, PS4, The Last Of Us Remastered, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition)

rodiabloalmeida  +   64d ago
Answer: Unfortunately, yes. And the bad part: people like it this way, specially new gen console owners, apparently.
MRMagoo123  +   64d ago
Or no, its not any ones fault that the author isnt interested in any of the amazing games coming this year that arent remasters, such as assassins creed and lbp3, they are limiting their own choices, I myself am paying off games every week because I have way too many to pick up at one go, and the only remaster I am picking up at the mo will be gta5.
Pisque  +   63d ago
It's sad that Sony fanboys were pleased that much a one year old remake. They contributed to kill the video game industry.
Funantic1  +   63d ago
I could have waited on next gen. My warranty is almost expired and my consoles especially my PS4 (PSN name: BKaca - for those who doubt I have one) haven't even been turned on much at all.
Genesis5  +   63d ago
Well if you have a Steam account too. You could still be playing catch up like I have been doing for the past year.
Heisenburger  +   63d ago
I'm all about that Dragon Age Inquisition, The Evil Within, Mordor, Destiny, a couple of indies, Advanced Warfare. There are more. Idk wtf you like if there aren't a couple of appealing titles there.

I have more than I can afford to buy this year.
Army_of_Darkness  +   63d ago
I confess, I'm guilty of buying these remastered editions LOL!

I bought the last of us, tomb raider DE, metro redux and soon GTA5. Only because I haven't played or purchased any of them on my PS3 yet, so it works out great for me cause I get to play all the superior ps4 editions :-)

I also got killzone SF and oh man, the multiplayer is sweeeet! runs so smooth at 60fps and it looks as sharp as 1080p to me(on my 55"LCD) so I don't see what the hate is all about?!
BattleAxe  +   63d ago
It would seem to be impossible to actually have a rational debate with PS4 owners on this site. If you like any of the other systems, think there are any good games on the other systems or if you point out the obvious, as the author did in this article, you get nothing but disagrees.

Scientists should really study this phenomena, as there has never been such illogical brand loyalty with any kind of consumer product like this ever. It's very strange and it's also very scary how easily people can be swayed.

One simple and very obvious example would be how last generation Xbox 360 users were ridiculed for paying to play online, but now that the PS4 requires people to play purchased games online, PS4 owners think that paying to play online is great. We have clearly entered the twilight zone.
#1.1.6 (Edited 63d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(5) | Report
Spotie  +   63d ago
@BattleAxe: That would require you binging intelligent conversion to the table yourself. But, as that comment proves, your as full of fanboy BS as those you attack.

I've seen you, numerous times, downplay something Sony-related that someone else was interested in. You've even twisted this into some sort of Playstation fanboy problem, rather than the problem being the author has a decidedly narrow taste in games.

The problem with Xbox fanboys- feel free to count yourself along them- is that reality is something different for them, compared to what the rest of us see.

Or has most of the gaming world been easily swayed, and it's only the Xbox faithful who forgive anything Microsoft does with a happy "Think nothing of it!" that are hard to impress?
BattleAxe  +   63d ago
@ Spotie

You should take a trip way back in my comment history before you make the presumption that I am somehow an Xbox fanboy. Personally, I'm not a fan of any console at all this generation.

I currently own two (2) PS3 consoles and my NES console from when I was a kid in the 80s. To me, this generation is a cash grab. There's no denying that the graphics on consoles have never been better and they're far more cutting edge than they ever have been, but that's where it ends for me.

If you take a step back and compare last generation to this new generation, and analyse what you got for your money back then, verses what you get these days as far as game content with full game releases on day one, and also free online play on PS2 and PS3, then there's no way you can cheerlead these new consoles. Not to mention the playback features that are lacking on the new consoles when compared to the PS3 in particular.

Gaming is not a cheep hobby anymore, and it's getting worse as time goes on.I decided to upgrade my PC from a GTX 260 to a GTX 780 for this new generation, because anyone who is thinking clearly can see that consoles are actually more expensive than PCs are over the course of a generation. The cost of the games are higher, and you have to pay a subscription on top of the high cost of the games.

My GTX 780 was a little more than the cost of an Xbox One, but I'll be paying pennies on the dollar for games on Steam and Origin when compared with consoles, and I won't be paying for a subscription to play the games online. It just baffles me to see how enthusiastic people are to pay more for everything. It also baffles me to see people get excited for loads of cell phone quality indie games and last gen remasters, while seeing fewer new AAA IPs than we saw during both the PS2 and PS3 eras.

The last reason I made a switch to PC this generation, was because I got burned with owning a library of digital downloads on PS3 without the ability to bring them over to the PS4. Heck in a way, everyone got burned with the lack of backwards compatibility this generation. Well switching to PC solves that problem for good, as backwards compatibility is ongoing. No matter how many console generations go by, I'll still be able to play my PC games on any PC at any time, which is an extremely valuable feature for me.

I should also mention, that this GTX 780 that I own, will probably last well into the WiiMe, PS5 and Xbox Two generation. The power performance from this graphics card is roughly twice that of the PS4. For me, it's all about value for money, backwards compatibility, longevity no subscriptions and power performance.
#1.1.8 (Edited 63d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(3) | Report
Muzikguy  +   63d ago
What about LBP3, The Evil Within, and Destiny?!
Roccetarius  +   63d ago
Destiny is honestly not all that it's cracked up to be, and i'm not sure about The Evil Within anymore. Season Passes tend to leave a bad taste.
TRGMatt  +   63d ago
@Roccetarius - it isn't all it's cracked up to be? Dude you should go work at IGN or GameSpot! They haven't even played the full version and don't know what the entire game entails and yet YOU DO! I am jealous!

And also disappointed. From what I've played (the beta) Destiny is everything it's cracked up to be and MORE.
Muzikguy  +   63d ago
I'll admit the season pass has me a bit bummed with that game, but I still want it! Horror games are my favorite... Next to good RPGs. The Destiny beta was a lot of fun IMO and I'm thinking about getting that game, not sure yet. LBP3 will make for some good times with the woman. Those 3 games and any others are more than enough for me. Busy life outside of games
#1.2.3 (Edited 63d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
3-4-5  +   63d ago
Super Smash Brothers 3DS/Wii U , Captain Toad, Ac:Unity, Destiny, Forza Horizon 2, Fantasy Life, Azure Striker Gunvolt,...All still to release.
30 other games that aren't just remakes or sports games as well.

2014 is a solid year, but 2015 should potentially be much better.
cell989  +   63d ago
First world problems sigh
badz149  +   63d ago
Seriously? "Filled with"? The author acts like there are only 10 games releasing this year and remastereds and sports games are like 7 out of 10 of them! Sure the remastereds are getting the spotlights because people like the author like to make a huge fuss about them like the publisher put a gun on their heads.

I don' share the same perspective as the author as I quite enjoy it this year and next year would be much better.
#1.5 (Edited 63d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
VforVideogames  +   63d ago
I don't have that problem with my XBOX ONE , sorry I turn to the dark side.
s45gr32  +   63d ago
Great that's disappointing to hear
shammgod   63d ago | Offensive
HanzoHattori  +   64d ago
The first year of a any console's launch has never experienced a windfall of AAA games. Why on earth would anyone who claims to be a "gamer" whine about the lack of games in the first year? It's always been that way. Either except it and wait or sell you system and go back to your mobile phone.
jdiggitty  +   63d ago
100% agree.

Now make me a sword, please.
stefan771  +   63d ago
The PS3's first year had quite a large number of AAA games
csreynolds  +   63d ago | Well said
"My Gaming Year Filled With Remasters And Sports Games".

How?

Currently, I own 12 PS4 games. Two are remasters (about to pick up a third, Metro Redux, because I've never played 2033 or Last Light), not one of them is a sports game. And the games I'm buying later this year? Three new IPs. How your year has been "filled" with remasters and sports games, I don't know. Sounds to me like you need to expand your gaming interests.

And enough about remasters already. People want them - that's why they're being made. Gamers were crying out for The Last of Us Remastered and a new-gen GTA V and the devs gave the thumbs up. Now everyone's whining. Um, what?

If you've got an issue with remasters, just. Don't. Buy. Them. These rants are getting really old now.
#3 (Edited 63d ago ) | Agree(31) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Ace_Pheonix  +   63d ago
You sir, deserve a bubble. Well said. I couldn't have said it better myself.
csreynolds  +   63d ago
Why thank you. *tips hat*
uth11  +   63d ago
It isn't like these companies can just take wave a wand and make a new AAA game appear. It takes years to develop these, and they keep getting delayed for quality reasons.

Part of the reasons the remasters exist is to fill the gap.

If they didn't release the remasters at all, these people still wouldn't be happy. Instead they'll be complaining that there's 'nothing but indies'
cell989  +   63d ago
By the end of the year I'll have 3 remastereds: TLOS,TR,Metro

I'll have Destiny, BF4,Kz,UfC,Infamous SS,Advanced Warfare, Need for speed, and Assasins creed

I don't see why people complain smh
spacedelete  +   63d ago
with all these remastered games its going to really devalue PlayStation Now. its kind of ironic how developers were crying like little girls on how underpowered last gen consoles were but yet all we getting are remastered games.
funkybudda  +   63d ago
ah, another wannabe writer attempt at baiting for page clicks. EPIC FAIL.
MisterFeud  +   63d ago
People get too affront over remasters. No one's forcing you to buy them; no one's forcing you to pay for the "same" game again. I personally like remastered games, as I get to replay some of my favorite games from last-gen (TLOU and GTA V for example) on more powerful hardware, allowing for better graphical fidelity, higher frame rate, and an overall better experience. Now, don't act like we're not getting any other games besides remastered ones; Uncharted 4, The Division, Far Cry 4, Arkham Knight, Destiny etc.. all say hello.
#6 (Edited 63d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
JetsFool3500  +   63d ago
Cant necessarily say filled since there is only 3 remastered games worth gettin TLOU, GTA 5, & The Master Chief Collection
RevXM  +   63d ago
Metro Redux is sweet as well. I'd say its a must buy if you don't have them already. it is 2 lengthy awesome overhauled games with DLC for a fair price, discounted even if you buy them again on steam to enjoy the extra added fidelity, seamless transitions, paths, reworked gameplay and dlc.
uth11  +   63d ago
Remasters are less than 5% of next-gen releases. People blow it out of proportion.

There will be 200 games on the PS4 by Christmas if the current schedule holds. Plenty of variety.

What are people who are complaining looking for exactly?
HanzoHattori  +   63d ago
They want everything handed to them on a platter. These people aren't gamers, they're cry babies.
#8.1 (Edited 63d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Saito  +   63d ago
These kind of people have sad lives as gamers. Find another hobby.
CorndogBurglar  +   63d ago
Yeah, my favorite remakes and sports games were Titanfall, Wolfenstein, Battlefield 4, Diablo 3, Ryse, Killer Instinct, Infamous Second Son, Watchdogs, Killzone: Shadowfall, Knack, Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag, Ground Zeroes, Thief, Need for Speed, Sniper Elite 3, Bound By Flame, Murdered: Soul Suspect....

Should I go on?

Just because you don't have an interest in what has been released does not mean all that is being made is remakes and sports games.

Stop your complaining.
Inception  +   63d ago
Did the author forgot Evil Within, Alien Isolation, Destiny, LBP 3, Guilty Gear Xrd, Tales of Xillia 2, Fary Cry 4, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, or Super Smash Bross? Oh yeah, those game didn't exist and this year we only play remastered and sport games! /S

SMH -_-
Remy_Chaos  +   63d ago
Be quiet or they'll hear you! Didn't you know that people who complain about no games (or in this case remasters) are those that have to be told what to play by the gaming media? I mean they don't know what they like nor do they know how to choose for themselves. Yet they want new IPs but still go after the yearly released garbage.
rlacorne  +   63d ago
Boohoo.

I can't believe you played everything on last gen. If you only pkay AAA and skip smaller realeases, it's your problem. Plenty of games are still coming to last gen.
BitbyDeath  +   63d ago
Time to expand your horizons.

I'm looking forward to-

DBZ Xenoverse
SingStar
GTAV
DriveClub (probably free version)
LoadOut
Forza Horizon?
Destiny?
Assassins Creed?
Shadows of Mordor?
Dragon Age?
Crazay  +   63d ago
Looks to me like the little whiner is SOL this year. There plenty to play for people with all kinds of tastes and interests.

All I hear when I see this title is "waaahhhh waahhhhh!! My mom and dad bought me a next gen system and I'm not getting at the AAA titles I demand when I want them!!! WAAAAAHHHWAAAHHHH!" Dry up Nancy.
Roccetarius  +   63d ago
Seems like someone else is more immature than the author, honestly. Besides that, it's just more of the same from that list of games.

Except maybe Shadow of Mordor.
Crazay  +   63d ago
thanks rocc but i bought my systems myself and you don't hear me bitching about the games coming out.
lonelyplayer  +   63d ago
Infamous: First Light, Soul Saga, Destiny, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Driveclub, Costume Quest 2, Alien: Isolation , The Evil Within, Assassin's Creed Unity, Lords of the Fallen, Project CARS, The Crew, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Far Cry 4, LittleBigPlanet 3
.... all coming in 2014 to PS4

And there are also a lot of games scheduled for the first Q of 2015 like Evolve, The witcher 3, bloodborne, the order, dying light, ...
#15 (Edited 63d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Yodagamer  +   63d ago
Games are expensive and the ports are easy money in most cases. Square enix has already said they've been putting the money from hd remasters into new games in their respective series. I just hope if they do want to put them on new consoles it becomes strictly downloadable and cheapers ports of pc versions which can't be too hard.
#16 (Edited 63d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
BitbyDeath  +   63d ago
SE need to put them Kingdom Hearts Remasters onto current gen systems.
Roccetarius  +   63d ago
Pretty much everything i want to play is in 2015 now, and even then, the list is pretty small.

Currently i'm just replaying old Thief games with mods, because it's just that much more interesting.
Lilrizky  +   63d ago
A few points on this:

1. I have filled up my ps4 hardrive twice and I don't play sports games. So there's that
2. I only have 2 remasters. Which makes up 10% of my next gen collection

This is all a bad perception issue

Go back to ps3 and 360 launch and see how much you'll like their first year of releases
monochromer  +   63d ago
Clickbait articles are so stupid.
TRGMatt  +   63d ago
Oh good the featured image has BOTH of the Remasters in it.

Now where's the image with all the non-sports and remasters? Make it 1920x1080 and you'll need a ton of thumbnails collaged together. May not fit in that image size.

Didn't click the article, by the way. Not gonna give clicks to someone who clearly isn't a core gamer. If they were, they'd know that their claims are completely false.
user367272  +   63d ago
I didn't know Sunset Overdrive...Forza Horizon 2 ..Ori.and Killer Instinct are sports or remake games? For the one remake that i am going to get includes 4 games..100 plus maps..on dedicated servers..and has a beta to one of the premier titles of next year. Having said that NBA 2k15 and wwe 15 looks promising so I might get those sports games as well.
#21 (Edited 63d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
user367272  +   63d ago
Double post.
#22 (Edited 63d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
GenericNameHere  +   63d ago
As plenty of people here already listed, there are A LOT of varied games coming out the rest of the year. It's not your fault if you don't like the games coming out, but it certainly isn't the medium's fault. They're giving you plenty of options, yet you're whining about "teh remztars and spotrs" because hey, let's cherry pick and hope people don't notice! I'm not gonna call you names, but how about you do your research next time? You're freaking embarrassing.
TheJacksonRGN  +   63d ago
Yet if all the games that got delayed until next were still coming in 2014 you would be complaining about how crowded it is. Not to mention a lot of people would not be able to buy all of them, if the ones that do will have an insane backlog.
PSIN4MANT  +   63d ago
Yes, if you ignore all the content that is currently out, because you're one of these odd people who don't classify indies as games..
stefan771  +   63d ago
Expect that to be the way for most of the new gen. Remasters are cheaper and easier to develop than new games and there is a lot more demand for them.
redknight80  +   63d ago
The title of this article is enough to annoy the crap out of me...so that's it...that is what I overhear from spoiled kids when they receive a lame gift from their parents or other family. I don't even need to read the article to tell this guy/girl is not a real gamer...sure, it wasn't a perfect year for gaming, but it was damn great for me and I have had a blast gaming across the various platforms.
SliceOfTruth888  +   63d ago
Speak for yourself I got to play Mario kart, donkey Kong, titanfall, second son, ryse, dead rising 3, max curse of brotherhood (which is very underrated in my opinion), resogun, killer instinct and soon sunset over drive...great year for me and when you include last of us and halo mcc (which honestly counting this as a remake is borderline blasphemy) I cant wait till November. Even cod looks awesome
ramiuk1  +   63d ago
what a load of crap.

last of us i didnt play on ps3 so welcomed the new remaster,my pc struggled with metro on a setting i wanted it to be on,so i got both on ps4.

now as far as no games ??? autor is a fool.

unity
farcry 4
destiny
fifa 15
planetside 2
driveclub
crew
lbp 3
even call of duty looks decent thins year.

Nintendo actually wanted a sexier Link costume in Bayonetta 2

2m ago - Platinum Games was initially conservative with its Link costume for Bayonetta, but Nintendo sugge... | Wii U

Review: Riding Star 3D (3DS eShop) - NLife

2m ago - "Pointless, repetitive, and unrewarding, there’s no discernable reason for Riding Star 3D to exis... | 3DS

Rhythmic Rail Shooter Cosmophony Arriving In Europe & The Americas on 30th October

2m ago - "Last month it was revealed that Bento Studio’s musical rail shooter, Cosmophony, would be adapte... | Wii U

Rail Wars PS Vita delayed in Japan

2m ago - 5pb. has delayed Rail Wars! Karuizawa Yori Satsui wo Nosete for PS Vita in Japan. Previously s... | PS Vita

Getting started in Archeage

Now - Quick overview from Curse on everything you need to get going in Archeage. | Promoted post

Playfire Gives Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Players Evolve Beta Access and 25% Off Season Pass

21m ago - Hardcore Gamer: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is out and while reviews have been mixed, there is a... | PC