Submitted by Wriggy 467d ago | opinion piece

Could The Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity win the console war for Xbox?

Console Monster writes: "During Microsoft’s conference at Gamescom 2014, it was announced that Square Enix’s The Rise of the Tomb Raider will be exclusive to Xbox when it’s released in “Holiday 2015”.

The announcement was greeted with outrage from PlayStation and PC gamers, who were eagerly awaiting the return of Lara Croft following her highly successful 2013 reboot, Tomb Raider.

However, despite Microsoft repeatedly reassuring that The Rise of the Tomb Raider is exclusive to Xbox (whether that means Xbox 360 and Xbox One is currently unclear); there was still confusion as to whether the title would arrive on other platforms at a later date. Even the Square Enix press release tiptoed around the subject." (Rise of the Tomb Raider, Xbox One)

« 1 2 3 »
sinncross  +   467d ago
I dont think TR is going to be the game to change the tide.
#1 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(84) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
MightyNoX  +   467d ago
Seriously. If Titanfall, with a marketing budget that rivaled GTA V, couldn't do it...this 'writer' expects a timed exclusive to do that?

Did Ben Kuchera write this piece?
#1.1 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(84) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Wriggy  +   467d ago
Titanfall was competing in an already cluttered market (with the likes of Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Gears of War, etc.).

iamnsuperman  +   467d ago
Titanfall is but it also came out at a better time. I think the fact it was a new untested ip was the real reason

I would agree with you about tomb Raider except Microsoft does have story driven games comming (quantum break) and that is really what Uncharted is about. Uncharted built its fandom through a light hearted story driven game similar to a film which grew over time in popularity (nate and sully became an unlikely buddy cop type of pairing).

Tomb Raider doesn't really do that not separate itself from other story driven games. Tomb Raider is a bit dark. It is also releasing at a horrible time the main reason Tomb Raider sold so well was the time period it released in. I feel Halo sales will swallow this game up. To link back to the article will it "win the console war" definitely not. Tomb Raider is a long established franchise but it will not hold up against Halo (which is something that is going to push units) let alone the third party games
#1.1.2 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(24) | Disagree(0) | Report
vishmarx  +   467d ago
seriously why are we even discussing this anymore?
a timed exclusive doesnt win a war
Ezz2013  +   467d ago
***Could The Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity win the console war for Xbox?****

#1.1.4 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(35) | Disagree(2) | Report
FriedGoat  +   467d ago
First time a title on n4g actually made me laugh out loud.
svoulis  +   467d ago
@ Wriggy

Excuse me, the release windows were completely different for TitanFall and Call of Duty. That is not an excuse. The real excuse is that it came out on the 360 as well. How could TitanFall be a system seller, if it wasn't just on that platform?

There is no way that a Timed exclusive being Tomb Raider would shift a 3 to 1 ratio, I am sorry its just not possible. What it really comes down to is how gamers fell betrayed by Microsoft. They have good reason to as well. Granted Phil Spencer is doing his best to steer the ship out of danger, its still got some leaks.

For example the fact that DR3 and Ryse are no longer "exclusive" to the platform people dropped 500$ on just for those games.

I was one of those people.
Boody-Bandit  +   467d ago | Well said
I will show you just how ridiculous the premise of this article is. Not EVEN flat out buying the exclusive rights to Call of Duty would pull MS ahead of Sony. It's not just a game issue. It's a consumer confidence issue, extreme greed business practices and sacrificing system architecture for a stupid gimmick (camera).

Their entire vision for the XBOX ONE was an atrocity that blew up in their face. MS would have to start practically given away XBOX ONE consoles to pull ahead of Sony.

Sony is closing in on a 2 to 1 advantage worldwide (they may already be there) in less than one year since launch. The gap is widening week after week. They are averaging a 3 to 1 disparity in sales right now over MS worldwide and have been for months.

With that said MS need to first focus on trying to catch up to Nintendo. They are 2 million units behind Nintendo which is also out selling them worldwide. Yet this author thinks Tomb Raider will have a big impact?

Let me tell you something Mr. Author. Tomb Raider wont cause a dent. I would be surprised if it boosted sales 0.001% for MS.

MS needs their own games and not purchasing others and trying to make them their own. Purchasing TR as a "timed" exclusive wreaks of desperation and them simply throwing what ever they can at the wall praying something, anything will stick. TR will slide down faster than water hitting oil. It will have NO impact at all.

MS need to make up their minds once and for all. You either want to be in this industry or you don't. If you do start supporting studios that will create your own stable of games instead of relying on cheap parlor tricks given the illusion that you're doing so. Sorry MS but we know Milo is having his strings pulled by a person in the other room. AKA Wizard of Oz. When will you guys learn we are smarter than you give us credit for and you are only kidding yourselves.
#1.1.7 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(23) | Disagree(1) | Report
TomShoe  +   467d ago
Uncharted does everything Tomb Raider does, just better.
abzdiine  +   467d ago
so TR weighs waaaaay more than Titanfall and Kinectless SKU combined?
PONTIAC08G8GT  +   467d ago
I still don't know why this is such a big deal. It's Tomb Raider for god's sake. If Sony lost Little Big Planet, Uncharted, something like that, yea it's a big deal. But it's TR, it's not a major title that you line up outside and wait in line in sub zero temperatures for. Let's get over it already.
GiggMan  +   467d ago
Seriously? Even the most delusional fanboys wouldn't agree with that. Win the console war? People are digging too much into this. Just let it go.
InTheLab  +   467d ago
The author says there's only a 2 million sales gap in this "article" despite Ms shipping 5m and Sony selling through 10m.

The guy can't even be bothered to do simple math let alone speculation of whether one game can a war that's well out of reach.
MysticStrummer  +   467d ago
"Tomb Raider is more or less in a league of its own on the Xbox, whereas PlayStation has Uncharted."

The last TR sold the least on XB platforms.
Boody-Bandit  +   467d ago
I really should've just dropped the mic after my 1st comment and walked away but I can't.

quoted from the article:
"It’s no secret that the PlayStation 4 has got off to the better start, selling two million more units than the Xbox One (according to current figures)."

According to what figures? Sony is at or around 10 million sold "through". MS is at or around 5 million "shipped". It's at or around a 5 million gap and not 2 million.

"While the likes of Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall all received rave reviews, none of them have been a major console seller"

Rave reviews? Ryse (OA-60), Forza 5 (OA - 80) and Dead Rising 3 (OA- 78) did not receive rave reviews. All 3 of them should've been delayed. Especially Ryse. That was one of the most unpolished games I've played in years.

This article was well written. That's a bonus. But considering the author has a BA in journalism that is to be expected. The premise is lunacy. Sorry I don't mean to be so harsh but it is sheer lunacy.

Tomb Raider, not now, not ever, is a system selling AAA must purchase a console to play game. This was another in a long line of bad moves by MS this generation. They simply seem like they can't get out of their own way.

They need to focus on making XBL more enticing with their free games, discounts, early access to betas, expanding games for XBL, yes this means indies as well, and most of all bringing out new IP's and taken a risk doing so.

So far I'm not seeing anything from them now or in the future that I'm personally excited to play. The only game I'm looking forward to somewhat is SSO but I'm still on the fence as to whether I will purchase or rent it.
Arkardo  +   467d ago
This should be report immediately as the most hilarious article ever!

Man I laughed so hard that almost had a heart attack, dangerous article I tell ya.
#1.2 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(21) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
GiggMan  +   467d ago
Lol exactly.

I'm going to pick up a Xbox One maybe in 2015 to go along with my PS4 it won't be for Tomb Raider lol. Unless they announce a tomb raider bundle for about $300.

Where do people come up with this stuff?
#1.2.1 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report
Spotie  +   467d ago
Is it okay to laugh at this? I won't get called a fanboy, will I?
harrisk954  +   467d ago
Tomb Raider, while likely going to be a great game (we will see as it is still a year and a half away) it's not a huge "system seller". To be sure out will sell well amongst XB1 owner. It will also likely move some XB1s, but his many? 50,000? 100,000? 500,000? Not bloody likely. Titanfall had minimal impact. The unbundling of Kinect had minimal impact. Sunny will also have its big AAA titles or next year. it's going to take mote than timed exclusives like Tomb Raider.
harrisk954  +   467d ago
Oh man… lots of typos! Damn autocorrect!! :)
adventureghost124  +   467d ago
It's arguably going to make it worse for Microsoft, I don't see how it could really help either Microsoft or sony and its only timed as well.
Eddie20101  +   467d ago
I doubt that it is even a console seller to begin with, Why Microsoft think this game will be is beyond me.

The real problem is that Square/Enyx allowed this to be purchased by Microsoft as an exclusive when the majority of Tomb Raider sales have always been on Playstation Platforms and PC by a large number.

Microsoft also need to come clean on what kind of exclusivity they have with the game. They are still very shifty about the whole thing.
Gamer1982  +   466d ago
Did you know at current sales rates when Tom Raider is released Xbox will be over 10 million behind?? Do you really think by that point it will matter? It's not a console seller anyway so it not gonna help catch that 10 million.
DarkOcelet  +   467d ago
Um no , because its timed and ps4 got uncharted 4 in that time .
Back-to-Back  +   467d ago
Uncharted 4 will be like a Tomb Raider only good.
Clogmaster  +   467d ago
I'm still looking for the *satire* tag in the article.
TimeSkipLuffy  +   467d ago
I don't think so.
For me as a PS gamer it was a shock but if Sony does not want to pay money it is their decision to do so. They probably did something with Bungie to get some exclusive DLC. Deep pockets is one way to make your fans happy.

Xbox gamers are happy to be the first to play while PS gamers will wait and grab it when it is on sale or rightaway or on PS+ or never because they are just too angry now.

But PS gamers will be PS gamers and Xbox gamer will be Xbox gamers.

If MS would have pulled that of with games like GTA or AC or Far Cry, ... that would be a different story... well the rant would be bigger but those who haven't switched will consider the console with the games they want to play or their friends are playing on.
#3 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
extermin8or  +   467d ago
Sony weren't offered chance to pay for tomb raider. MS went to square enix about it, Sony were apparently never part of the discussion. There was no bidding war.
TimeSkipLuffy  +   467d ago
I wasn't talking about a bidding war. It was Sony's decision not to go to a studio and offer money for exclusivity. It maybe not their way of business but in this world money rules.
So with money you can buy a little happiness for your customers.

We would all agree that IF SONY would have bought the exclusive right to launch this title first on PS, every PS gamer would be happy!
Septic  +   467d ago
No chance whatsoever. This isn't even wishful thinking, its just plain deluded. Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive. Not only that, as classic as the franchise is, it is not what I would call a killer app.

If any single game were to help Xbox 'win' the console war, it would have to be a MASSIVE, ground breaking killer-app the likes of which we haven't seen since Halo or COD Modern Warfare. I'm thinking along the lines of something like Shenmue MMO or something crazy like that.
#4 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
cfc78  +   467d ago
Waste of time and money who's going to jump of the fence for a timed exclusive? why Ms keeps shooting them selves in the foot with these back alley deals and not focus on new exclusives with their cash which would be more likely to sell XB1's will remain a mystery.
LordMaim  +   467d ago
In Microsoft's eyes, it's easier to wait until a game is nearly complete and buy it than it is to invest in a company and hope that what they produce will pay off on your investment. Have a look at Rare and their output since Microsoft bought them. They haven't released much, and what they have released hasn't broken any records. They were a prolific studio back in the day, so it seemed like a sure thing. That's $375 million dollars plus operating costs since 2002. Or, split that money up between a half dozen complete third party games that you expect to do well and it doesn't seem like such a bad investment. Of course, you don't get the same return that you would with a first party game, but it still generates interest in your console. In the short term, at least.
#5.1 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
THC CELL  +   467d ago
How many people do u no go by a console for tomb raider lol
Boody-Bandit  +   467d ago
That's why this article is pure lunacy.
But it's not liking I'm telling you or 99.9% of the gaming populous anything you don't all already know.
HiTMaNHuntr  +   467d ago
Put simply...No. It won't. Wanna know why? It's one game. One game in a lifespan of 5-7 years of great exclusives(For each platform)and multiplatfrom games. At the end of this generation we can deem a "winner." Not the beginning. Plus it's also timed.

And while I am excited for the sequel. There are a lot more games releasing holiday 2015 that I'm looking forward to more than Tomb Raider. (If Halo 5, Uncharted 4, and Zelda U hit there rumored holiday release dates of course.)
#7 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Arkardo  +   467d ago
Not by a mile, sorry
Inzo  +   467d ago
Bwhahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa a!!!!!!!!!!!!
#9 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
superchiller  +   467d ago
You forgot to mix some 1s in with your exclamation marks.
equal_youth  +   467d ago
höhöhö of course it will /s
PR_FROM_OHIO  +   467d ago
Manubiggs  +   467d ago
TR still has to go up against uncharted 4 next holiday ... plus if it is a timed exclusive .... not so sure it will turn the tide
JeffGUNZ  +   467d ago
Can we stop with these Tomb Raider articles? I only own an Xbox right now and when I heard the exclusive deal my reaction was "eh". Listen, I grew up with Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Xbox, so I know gaming well. I bought the Tomb Raider: DE for the X1 and enjoyed it. Yet, this is tomb raider afterall, it's not that big of a deal. No one on here, from both sides were talking about this game at E3. Sure, it looks cool and will be a good game, but the reactions and the amount of articles on this same topic is like MS secured GTA for an exclusive.

I'm not hating on TR fans because I am one and I think these third party exclusive deals are terrible for gamers. I am just saying why is this game now a HUGE deal to gamers?
user367272  +   467d ago
Agreed with everything you had just said. I want to know more about other games at gamescom but I am seeing are how MS is evil and Tomb Raider sold out articles on a hourly basis these past couple of days. Very unfortunate.
#13.1 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
Yaay4me  +   467d ago
only because its now exclusive (timed) and there is money being poured into these articles to make it seem like something big has happened.
Majin-vegeta  +   467d ago
*I am just saying why is this game now a HUGE deal to gamers?

Its a damn HUGE deal to TR FANS on other platforms who were anticipating the game.
JeffGUNZ  +   467d ago
I agree it's awful for TR fans, but my point mainly a lot of people commenting on this have never mentioned this game before the announcement. It stinks, yes, but this game is now being viewed like it's a console moving game when in reality it's not. It's fun and a great game, but I really don't see TR shifting many units, especially on timed exclusive deals.
Flamingweazel  +   467d ago
The notion that one game. let alone a cross gen timed exclusive will toyaly change consumer momentum towards x1 is moronic at best.
user367272  +   467d ago
Another lame and pointless article. How do we keep getting these flaming troll bait articles approved?
FITgamer  +   467d ago
Is this guy serious?
XtraTrstrL  +   467d ago
No, but you can bait people in to read and comment by bringing this beaten-to-death horse back up.
Visiblemarc  +   467d ago
So...could the timed exclusivity of a sequel to a game that under performed as a multiplatform (according to Square Enix) cause millions upon millions of people, who otherwise weren't going to, to spend $400, plus tax? Um...gaming journalism is out of ideas. Like, what in the world?

MK8, a true exclusive sequel to some of the best selling games in history hasn't changed the Wii U's sales in a major way, and it's only $300 for the deluxe model.
Grave  +   467d ago
Theyellowflash30  +   467d ago
C-C-C-C-Clickbait Combo!
PassiveAttack  +   467d ago
Some people were born to be journalists. You clearly were not.
Myst-Vearn  +   467d ago
Is this a joke?

porkChop  +   467d ago
How could it change the tide? It's timed-exclusive, and it's releasing roughly the same time as Uncharted 4.
ReLLiK  +   467d ago
I don't understand. It's been confirmed it's a timed exclusive. Case closed.
KNWS  +   467d ago
I think they will close the sales gap by the middle of 2015. Its very hard to win a console race when you rival Sony has a larger fan base worldwide. Microsoft x box brand still isn't a global brand. Microsoft makes its money from other things. They don't need x box to be successful.

I'm really happy though Microsoft is branching out to more countries this gen. Microsoft sold the 360 to far less countries last gen. If they don't start moving more consoles by the end of this year. That is a bad sign in a way. Sunset Overdrive and Halo collection are out. Plus COD. So be interesting to see the sales figures around then.

Tomb Raider@ Will help with sales, but its not going to win a console war.
#25 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(15) | Report | Reply
GW212  +   467d ago
Oh you are just adorable. Now it's "MS doesn't need xbox to be successful."

So now you are more loyal (bizarre in its own way) to MS than you are to its gaming brand? I can smell the hypocrisy from here and I'm at least 1,000 miles away from your parents' basement.

There is a reason XB isn't a global brand. Selling XB1 in Mauritania isn't going to change that, sorry.

Before you do any unnecessary work, let me help you out:

Lannister  +   467d ago
First of all: It's not a war it's a bloody massacre.

Second of all: No
SaveFerris  +   467d ago
The answer is no, IMO. I just don't think Tomb Raider is as big of a name as it used to be. Sales of the reboot weren't considered good enough even for Square Enix despite the 'Definitive Edition'.
Tomb Raider fans on PS4 and PC will wait until the exclusivity period ends, but I'm sure this has left those fans with strong feelings against Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix.
OUROSMAG  +   467d ago
Notice how the comment section is turned off in this article?
#28 (Edited 467d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Fishy Fingers  +   467d ago
People are just using this an excuse to get some cheap and easy clickbait. Even the author must consider this retarded.
OH_u_DEAD  +   467d ago
It's a timed exclusive and probably will go to other consoles later on more likely pc but no this game will not help win console war, did you not see the sales of the first game, between every console they sold 4.4m. Now they are cutting it to one or two so sale might not even reach 1 million and i'll be surprised if it reaches 2 million considering when it launches there will be a slew of other games to buy.
« 1 2 3 »

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Attention 2 Detail In-depth analysis

59m ago - NX Gamer "With Crystal Dynamics having a successful reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise we are... | Xbox 360

8WNterview: Ackk Studios Talks YIIK & Chromophore, Death, and Fixing Mistakes

1h ago - 8-Worlds News talks to Ackk Studios' Brian Allanson on upcoming titles YIIK: A Post-Modern RPG an... | Wii U

See What TV Series Premiers this Month

Now - Check Releases.com for a complete overview of season premiers this November. | Promoted post

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters – How to Get to Hunter’s Nightmare

1h ago - Bloodborne’s first expansion, The Old Hunters, takes place in another realm called The Hunter’s N... | PS4

The Roach Approach - Battlefront for under $600 | PC Gaming Enthusiast

1h ago - Check out Jake Roach's November build where he builds a system that can run Battlefront for under... | PC

SuperPhillip Central's Favorite VGMs - Thankful for Even More VGMs Edition

3h ago - SPC writes, "Thanksgiving is this Thursday, so SuperPhillip Central is delivering a healthy plate... | PS4