Submitted by AbsoluteZelda 55d ago | opinion piece

Xbox One Needs to Win North America by Christmas

Gamnesia: "There's a lot of buzz in the video game industry right now about the strong sales of PlayStation 4 compared to the more modest numbers of Xbox One. This has been the case for months now, but the talk really picked up when it was revealed that Microsoft only shipped 1.1 million consoles from April to June, whereas Sony sold 3.5 million home consoles, not counting PSP and Vita's numbers.

With the headline "PlayStation 4 outsells Xbox One three to one" plastered all over the place, many are declaring an early death for Microsoft's console. Personally, I think it's ludicrous to declare a winner of a generation after less than nine months, and Xbox One definitely has plenty of time to recover, but it's entering into a crucial period. Xbox One needs to win over the North American crowd this Christmas, and the push to make that happen needs to start right now." (Xbox One)

700p  +   55d ago
And xbox will win it. Especially because of HALOOO.
The_Infected  +   55d ago
Well America loves FPS like myself but there's also Destiny and Advanced Warfare. Both which are also on PS4.
Cryptcuzz  +   55d ago
Halo is a big franchise that can do crazy sales, but I'm afraid even Halo isn't big enough to take down both Destiny and Advanced Warefare. Both will do crazy numbers and if recent software sales trends are to repeat, a lot of third party games has been selling more on the PS4.
donthate  +   55d ago
Cryptcuzz:

PS4 selling 3rd party better is due to larger install base than Xbox One as well as the resolution/frame rate difference.

We are starting to see parity now, and the next competitive thing then will be platform features, friends and content.

Platform features: MS got that, both in OS design and rapid pace of updates
Friends: Sony got that due to having larger user base
Content: Remains to be seen. So far MS has done a marvelous job. Sony's time is hopefully coming.
MeliMel  +   55d ago
Lol... both are on Xbox One aswell along with Halo.
badz149  +   55d ago
IMHO What is holding the Xbone back in the US is the price. Priced the same as the PS4, is not enough to sway customers still on the fence between the 2 consoles and the PS4 is a tad bit more popular too at the moment. If they cut another $50, I think the Xbone will have a brighter chance to give the PS4 the run for its money.
#1.1.4 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(2) | Report
BX81  +   55d ago
@crypt
It will be a wait and see if the trend continues, destiny has ps4 dlc and the Xbox version will be bumped to 1080p. Cod has the ms dlc first but ps4 has more consoles out. Halo will be a very big deal this holiday season. Either way both consoles will do well.
LAWSON72  +   54d ago
Well technically,
You can have AW and Destiny or you can have AW, Destiny, and Halo, you ask me the latter is better.
DigitalRaptor  +   55d ago
Halo alone has the potential to do great things for the Xbone. It will hit peak performance in November for sure, but beating out PS4 in North America by the holidays is still a long shot.

They would literally have to sell 10-month's worth of sales that PS4 is leading by, and sell that in the space of 2 months, as well as sell more than what PS4 will be selling from now until December. And it's not like the PS4 is slowing down either.

It's true that if Xbone doesn't catch up with PS4 by the year's end, it's going to be even more difficult for them going forward, especially once Sony fires all cylinders in early 2015 with The Order: 1886, Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank Redux and MLB 15: The Show, and the unannounced lineup for the rest of the year, along with Uncharted 4 for the holidays.
#1.2 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(38) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
donthate  +   55d ago
I think most of the PS4 games you listed aren't really system sellers. I can't say the Xbox One has a lot of system sellers either right now.

Titanfall was one, and I believe Halo: MCC is another. Destiny on PS4 might garner some system sales, but it is multi-platform. Last of Us Remaster is another, but that has come to pass.
#1.2.1 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(36) | Report
Why o why  +   55d ago
Those system seller rules don't seem to apply if titanfall is anything to go by. I'd guess most halo fans are prefer xbox and may already own the x1. Who knows. Maybe consistency will bridge or expand the respective gaps. . Thing about Sony's consoles were there wasn't just 'a' system seller, they had a large variety of titles of varying genres that would sell the system.
mixolydian_id  +   55d ago
I won't be throwing the XBO under the bus because of what PR tells me to think.

I just don't like PS games that much.

Definitly getting a One...It's just not on my priority list at the moment.

Maybe when my Dad's inheritance pays out in a couple of months?

Just in time for a H5 beta of sourts?
mcstorm  +   55d ago
@Why o why I think you are wrong with the quote "I'd guess most halo fans are prefer xbox and may already own the x1" as most of the fans are still playing it on the 360 as the xbox one has yet to get a halo game.

Once MC Collection is being advertised 24/7 but 343i and Microsoft you will then start to see a lot of interest in the xbox one.

At the moment the only console that has got games to shout about in the new gen is Nintendos console where the line up for both the PS4 and Xbox one in terms of exclusives is not that impressive.

Also once the big names like COD, BF, GTA, AC ect stop being made for the last gen consoles we will see a big jump to next gen consoles and we will then start to see how far Microsoft have come in terms of making the xbox one name better than it was this time last year.
MysticStrummer  +   55d ago
"I think most of the PS4 games you listed aren't really system sellers… ...Titanfall was one"

Titanfall was not a system seller. If it had been, Kinect wouldn't have been made optional so soon.
Why o why  +   54d ago
Ok. I get what you're saying and I agree many may hold out until their title of choice appears. That can be applied across the board. Gran Turismo fans, gears fans, zelda fans etc, but only halo is out this year so that could give a better boost than titanfall did. What stands in the way of that boost 'wining' north America is the titles they will release plus the momentum that's carried them. Many thought the price drop would make the difference, others the dropping of kinect , some thought e3's showing would be it, others thought it would be titanfall. Winning from behind takes more than singular hits and half a year. . It takes time and consistency.
Eddie20101  +   55d ago
The die hard's that really like Halo have already bought a Xbox one.

The last couple of Halo games sold well but not as well as the first three.

I got Halo Reach a couple of months after release for $20.00 same with the Halo remaster. Also got Halo 4 for $20.00.

keep looking for that savior.
#1.3 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(29) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
bigpiece  +   55d ago
You do realize halo 4 sold around 9 million copies right?
Rock-Lee  +   55d ago
@bigpiece

Yeah 9 million copies sold.... Not that impressive when there are over 70 million X360 consoles sold as well...... Halo 4 came out late 2012, the total sales of the X360 were over 70 million at that time.
IcicleTrepan  +   55d ago
@Rock-Lee

Last of Us PS3 only sold about 5 million. Since there's 80 million PS3s out there I guess it's a failure right?
Lord Maim  +   54d ago
@IcicleTrepan: Actually it's over 7 million, was released a year ago instead of 2 years, and was a new IP rather than the latest in a franchise.

That said, 9 million copies of anything sold is nothing to sneeze at.
sckipt  +   55d ago
What happens after halo?

All the big hitters for ps4 are coming after that
Infamous298  +   55d ago
if xbone didnt outsell the ps4 this winter , it will have no other chance against the ps4 this generation.
#1.4.1 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(21) | Disagree(4) | Report
mixolydian_id  +   55d ago
Delayed you mean
darren_poolies  +   55d ago
More Halo lol.
badz149  +   55d ago
@Darren

What are you saying? After Halo, it will be Forza and then Gears and then maybe some Fable before back to Halo. Rinse and repeat!
DARK WITNESS  +   55d ago
I am not sure halo is going to win it looking at halo going forward....

however, I do think the release of Halo2 will go a long way to helping them catch up.

I think that quite a large number of people have simply moved on now.

Halo 2 just holds a special place in the hearts of many xbox fans and it's one of those games that I think they won't mind going back to.
#1.5 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
mixolydian_id  +   55d ago
H1 - Banshees!!!!

H2 - Too Many NADES!

H3 - AR starts against good players. Daft Equipment

H4 - NeeNaww lobby music, Jet packs, DMR
dmitrijs88  +   55d ago
Unfortunately Halo isnt deciding factor anymore. Previous gen is over and MS needs new tactics if they wanna ''win''.
MS biggest mistake is lack of 1st parties.

If you mean X1 might win December NPD, then I guess it has certain possibility.
#1.6 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
hiredhelp  +   55d ago
I had a breif read threw still scratching my head at the headline."Xbox One Needs to Win North America by Christmas"
why north america why not worldwide...?
MysticStrummer  +   55d ago
XB1 will not win NA for the year, despite Halo.
ricochetmg  +   54d ago
Halo had been a Xbox saving grace but fps has changed a lot.just look at the the last halo game sales with the bigger install C base.
tdogchristy90  +   55d ago
It's funny.

Last gen it was halo 3 that made me buy a 360 and god of war 3 for ps3. This go around it was last of us remastered (already played the original) and now possibly MCC for xbone. (This is obviously omitting games like mirrors edge ((my true next gen buy in)) and battlefront which are a ways off) It feels weird remasters and games I've already played are making me want next gen lol.
#2 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DARK WITNESS  +   55d ago
it makes me feel like the industry is on crutches creatively at least.

I mean there are new games coming out an all but honestly half of them look ok, and the other half look good, but still not as good as the remasters.

kind of makes me feel sad though..
isa_scout  +   54d ago
My problem is the new IPs keep getting pushed back into 2015. Preciously why I don't preorder a lot of games anymore. Thank god for Destiny though or this fall would really suck. Only a few games actually worth picking up this holiday season, but I know Destiny will keep me busy.
masterfox  +   55d ago
win what a cookie ?, by the time November comes the PS4 will hit like 12 million consoles, xbone will hit 7 mills barely.

PS4 Better looking multiplataforms, better online gaming service, PSN better than GOLD, better hardware,exclusives Driveclub, Little Big Planet 3.

Yes old Halo remake will help to sell xbone consoles but not that much.
700p  +   55d ago
Halo is more popular than all sony games combined. It will help sell A LOT more consoles.
DanielGearSolid  +   55d ago
Halo 3 boosted 360 sales by about 500,000 in the US.

Ps4 has 500k-700k lead right now

But the lead will be larger by the time it releases...

I see ps4 still leading, or a tie at best

Depending on the effect the Destiny Bundle has on Ps4 sales
#3.1.1 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(4) | Report
Inzo  +   55d ago
GOW and GT says hi.
IRetrouk  +   55d ago
Gran turismo does halo numbers no problem, also the likes of god of war and uncharted do very well too, you are reaching a bit I think.
KingPin  +   55d ago
@700p

i knew if i waited long enough, someone would make an ignorant statement. lol

like clockwork. you just know its coming.
it aint gunna come close. the people that are waiting for halo will most probably aleady have an xbone, so it'll boost sales but not as much as you might think.
DeadlyOreo  +   55d ago
"Halo is more popular than all Sony games combined."

My dear god, I have no words.
darren_poolies  +   55d ago
Really? Halo 4 hit around 9 million units, The Last of Us which is a new IP is around 7-8 million now. Halo clearly isn't as popular as it was now that Bungie aren't making it.
#3.1.7 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(2) | Report
poor_cus_of_games  +   55d ago
Actually gran turismo has out sold halo.
n4rc  +   55d ago
Psn is better now?

You lost me right there.. Lol
Budobear  +   55d ago
Hey it might not be better but its no worse either.
Insomnia_84  +   55d ago
Get with the times! PlayStation upped Xbox this gen in every single way possible!
n4rc  +   54d ago
Care to name a single one?

And budobear.. That's about it.. I'm not saying it's worse.. But people honestly can't say its better in any way
plasticidolatry  +   55d ago
If Xbox One is 5 million right now, and it's selling 200-250k a month, it will be 5.6-5.8 million by November. Maybe add 100-200k for the "tier 2" launch in September, so 5.7-6.0m total.

PS4 will probably be 11 mil by November depending on how well the Destiny bundles sell.
#3.3 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
oODEADPOOLOo  +   55d ago
"Sony has a thin holiday lineup, and Microsoft has a few system sellers up its sleeves. With The Order: 1886 delayed until next year, PlayStation 4's exclusives for the rest of the year are Drive Club, PlanetSide 2, and H1Z1, and the latter two aren't really exclusives, because they'll also be available on PC."

Planetside 2 by itself is not to be underestimated even if its a port of PC. The UI is being overhauled for console and the game is better optimized, with dev claiming settings are comparable to ULTRA on PC. Plus added to the fact that it fills a MAG like void and then some all while being F2P, and I'd say PS2 just might be a system seller on its own right. Especially from casuals who only play on console and never heard of this game.
#4 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
XiMasterChief  +   55d ago
Planetside 2 is a F2P dummy(ass). How can a F2P be system seller when it PC.
ssjkiet  +   55d ago
People buy a PS4 to just play Planetside 2 thats how... Jerky(ass).
ThanatosDMC  +   55d ago
Wow, you went full retard on here, XiMasterChief.
KwietStorm  +   55d ago
Do you even Engrish?
poor_cus_of_games  +   55d ago
Why are people ignoring little big planet 3?
Scark92  +   55d ago
Littlebigplanet 3 is a system seller for me, in fact I plan on getting a PS4 for around the time it comes out.
Jag-T1000  +   54d ago
Little demon dolls is not a system seller. It will never be.
n4rc  +   55d ago
Two questions..

Why? And or what?

People need to stop pretending they understand how business' work.

Is making $100m a failure if your competition makes $101m? Or is it a massive success if that competitor only made $50m?

"Winning" is about bragging rights.. That's about all
DeadlyOreo  +   55d ago
Doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.
kneon  +   55d ago
In the console business it does matter. If you are lagging far behind your competitors then you end up with less 3rd party support. With less 3rd party support your console sales will likely lag even further behind.

Also many people want to play with their friends online, so they tend to buy what their friends have bought. That means that the more you sell now, the better you are likely to do in the future.
Ark_  +   55d ago
Just release games that are too good to resist.
Dothraki  +   55d ago
I think xbox one will do great. Go to any cex, game store etc and the amount if 2nd hand ps4's are staggering. I know they've sold a ton over xbox one, but i think Microsoft are going to pull out all the stops this gen. I'm not one for which console sells the most, its the games i care about. If Microsoft keep delivering then the xbox one will stay under my telly.
poor_cus_of_games  +   55d ago
I'll really have to disagree with you about cex. The several stores that I have visited are packed with x1's and only a few ps4's.
PrinceOfAllSaiyans  +   55d ago
Titanfall didn't do it or price drop didn't do it. So I doubt it will change.
Dothraki  +   55d ago
No it didn't, which is a shame because its such a great fun game. I think it deserves a re review in respect to the changes its been through since launch.
XStation  +   55d ago
Titanfall is just one game...Plus it wasn't around the holiday season. Halo will make a much bigger impact than Titanfall.
DuneBuggy  +   54d ago
Yeah I dont think the x1 would be ahead now if Titanfall was a launch title...but I do think it would have sold more consoles.
Brettman2008  +   55d ago
There is some stupid claims in this article.

"PlayStation is the more popular brand in Europe (although it's a reasonably close battle there)". PS3/PS4 dominates in Europe, it is not close at all.

"PlayStation 4's exclusives for the rest of the year are Drive Club, PlanetSide 2, and H1Z1". There is no way H1Z1 will be out this year on PS4.

I think there is no chance of Xbox One outselling PS4 in NA this year. PS4 will have the best version of multi platform games. Also, Destiny will sell heaps of PS4s and Drive Club, Planetside 2 and Little Big Planet 3 will keep the momentum going. Also, Gamescom may spring a surprise release for late this year.
#9 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
MeliMel   55d ago | Offensive
Zichu  +   55d ago
I find it funny that people are s****ing all over the X1 because it isn't doing as well as the PS4.

The Wii U after the same amount of time didn't even hit 4 million sales and it wasn't competing with another next gen console.

The X1 is doing fine, the PS4 is doing amazing, but it doesn't mean the X1 is a complete fail. Things change over time. Just take a look at how different the sales are between the PS2 and the OG Xbox and then the sales between the PS3 and Xbox 360. Look at the Wii sales compared to the Wii U sales.

Halo fans aren't going to not buy an X1 just because it's not selling just as much as the PS4. It's a huge franchise and will boost those sales.
XStation  +   55d ago
North America loves those FPS and shooters...Halo is really big, COD gets advertise as a Xbox game, and those games are coming around Christmas time. (both November)
polloloco  +   55d ago
Ghost sold better on PS4 by a wide margin. It was also 1080p on ps4 and 720p on xbox one. If Cod is helping any console it will be the PS4.
#12.1 (Edited 55d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
KirbysDump  +   55d ago
It's not cool
After the disaster E3, it's seen not to be cool. Sony has the swagger and the youth vote. I hope they can come back otherwise it's just abunch of whining kids
Remy_Chaos  +   55d ago
Even if it wins it by Christmas, it'll lose it before spring. PS4 is starting off 2015 really strong so whatever.
castillo  +   55d ago
So your stating this based on not knowing what the other side has planned. That one hell of an assumption to make with little to no facts .
Predaking77  +   55d ago
I'm pretty sure I have seen this cycle before, with Titanfall.

Hopes goes up, people swearing this is it, the game release and then boom, not a single scratch to the PS4.

Consider this, all strategies against the PS4 has failed so far and that is while the PS4 has "no games". When the big guns games start arriving on PS4 it will be even more difficult for the xbone to make a scratch.
castillo  +   55d ago
It better start kicking ass on it's home turf quick and with a force that instantly overwhelms everyone, also hope they when some markets across the pond .
Gibreel87  +   55d ago
I can't talk to much about NA since I don't live there, but I guess Xbox will do fine. As for sales worldwide I think Xbox one will be crushed.
Sony is marketing its console the right way, microsoft is now trying to copy sony, which is a good thing, but xboxones design for example can't be changed that quick.
Europeans and Asian customers like slick and neat design and Playstation got that covered.
Playstation is launching its white console with destiny bundled. So those who want a white console first will buy Destiny. If Destiny poofs itself worthy as one of the best online shooters up to date, it is a win for Sony although it is a multiplatform game.
Launching a new wanted colourway console with one of the most anticipated Games is genius. Sony learned from its mistakes.
S2Killinit  +   55d ago
so its come to bone's last hope. honestly, i don't think halo will make too much of a difference. Halo is just one game. All Sony will have to do is release a heavy hitter at the same time and Halo won have a big impact. besides, the sales of the last iteration of halo wash't astronomical, it was great but nothing out of this world. COD took the fps crown from halo and ran with it.
Jag-T1000  +   54d ago
What heavy hitter? Nothing on ps4 is a heavy hitter.
LAWSON72  +   54d ago
Bu...but LBP, TLOU (I laugh how people think this is more a system seller than Halo MCC) and Driveclub are. Simple fact is PS4 does not need exclusives though.

I think it is a joke to say Xbone is doomed or it needs to beat the PS4 to be a success.
S2Killinit  +   54d ago
@Jag
really? you happy with that statement?
#18.1.2 (Edited 54d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
SynestheticRoar  +   55d ago
Good luck with that.
Dehnus  +   55d ago
*Coughs a few times to clear his throat*
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO M! Now click!
Kakashi Hatake  +   55d ago
Another day, another article making a case for Xbox One to pass up PS4. Why can't the gaming media live with the fact that PS4 is the more popular machine?
cruzngta  +   55d ago
Not gonna happen by any stretch of the imagination. Like said b4 most diehard MS fans already bought the XB1 so it wont be a massicve amount of consoles sold to even up the gap. It will do very well this holiday and MCC will be a big part but PS4 will do even better and that will increase the gap I believe.
MeliMel  +   55d ago
I want to Apologize for a comment I made earlier comparing Fanboyism to Ebola Virus. It was very insensitive of me. After all thats been going on in Africa and even people who are helping putting themselves in harms way. I wasnt thinking as I had just woke up, but still there is no excuse for it. If I offended the community. Again sorry and thats all I can say.
Scissorman82  +   55d ago
Why exactly does it 'need' to win?
DanielGearSolid  +   55d ago
Well MS did say their goal was to win
LAWSON72  +   54d ago
Well as long as they lose and keep saying that consumers keep getting better and better things, I am not complaining.
#24.1.1 (Edited 54d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
danny818  +   54d ago
lol why does it need to win? im curious. For me Halo MCC has the best value this year and I know for a fact it will take sales up through the roof
Hanso  +   54d ago
moving goalpost i see.
Anyway Chalkboark is getting dry lol

Here’s A Life Is Feudal Comic For No Real Reason

27m ago - GG3 spends too much time on Steam with no sleep whatsoever and way too much coffee. The result is... | PC

Diablo III Half-Off for Windows and Mac This Week

27m ago - "Blizzard is offering a special sale for Diablo 3 for PC this week, for Windows and Mac." | PC

75% Off Borderlands 2

27m ago - Borderlands 2 is now available on Steam OS, and to celebrate, the game is 75% off*! In addition t... | PC

Super Smash Bros For Wii U New Screenshot Focuses On Characters' Outlines

28m ago - A new screenshot is now available for Super Smash Bros Wii U, focusing on the characters' outline... | Wii U

iCreditCardNow.com

Now - Quickly locate just the right card for you. | Promoted post

Inafune: Mighty No. 9 Is “A Mix Of All The Sort Of Games I’ve Developed”

28m ago - “The type I’m aiming for is really a hybrid—a mix of all the sort of games I’ve developed up unti... | PC