Try our new beta!Click here
Submitted by CGMagazine 550d ago | opinion piece

How Long Can Call Of Duty Stay On Top?

Summer vacation is half done, and all eyes are turning to November, when Call of Duty releases its latest iteration, Advanced Warfare. This year, as with past years, when the game hits shelves, at least 10 million people around the world are going to buy it for whatever machine they own. Activision is already digging up several holes to make room for the new pools full of money they’ll be swimming in, while lighting up victory cigars with $100 bills. There’s simply no question that in terms of sales, COD is the king. But for how much longer? (Call of Duty: Black Ops, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Culture)

user7402931  +   550d ago
it started on the bottom and has been downhill ever since. (quality wise)
Rowdius_Maximus  +   550d ago
It's been rehash after rehash but Advanced Warfare looks interesting for sure
-Foxtrot  +   550d ago
Hopefully the final nail will be put in it's coffin this year
Douchebag696  +   550d ago
I agree. I hope they will finally get knocked down.
CloudRap  +   550d ago
LMAO why so people can lose their jobs? So you can supplement your fractured fanboy ego? What is it with people wanting things they dont like to fail its stupid and a detriment to the industry. Same thing with all these fanatical xb1/wiiU doom and gloom comments, if you dont like it shut up and dont buy it dont ruin it for those who actually like it.
3-4-5  +   550d ago
There really isn't any GREAT or even really good FPS games out right now.

We keep saying mediocre games are good, but we need to realize what we've been playing can be much better.
OrangePowerz  +   550d ago
Because you don't like it? I wasn't a fan of Ghosts, but I had a blast with the other CoDs and given how much time I spent playing online I got my moneys worth easily.

Edit:

@Fox

Look how many copies they sell versus how many people complain online? The people complaining are in a huge minority.

Don't like it don't buy it.
#2.3 (Edited 550d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
-Foxtrot  +   550d ago
Yes...because I am the ONLY ONE who doesn't like COD /s
Swiggins  +   549d ago
You're not the only one, but the people who don't like CoD are almost always more annoyingly vocal than those who do.

Don't like it, fair enough that's your right. Don't try and drag people down about it though.
-Foxtrot  +   549d ago
Want to know why it sells....because people who don't really play on video games much play on it just to fit in with social crowds who are talking about it.

They are sheep following the latest craze. Most people for those reasons won't even play on it that much, only to proudly state they DO play on it to "fit in"
OrangePowerz  +   549d ago
I play tons of games and I love games like Dark Souls, yet I still enjoy playing CoD online. It's something I can play for half an hour so and get some good games in. It's like Quake or UT, easy and quick to pick up. Also important is that it works on launch and I don't have to wait half a year before it's playable. EA killed BF for me by forcing DICE to release before CoD.

Most of them have also an enjoyable campaign, they are not cerebral but decent action fun like a summer action flick and particularly Treyarch does some rather good singleplayer campaigns.

If they would be all the same there wouldn't be a difference between what CoD game I like and which one I don't.

On top they cpuld make the best game ever and it would still get the same hate because it's called CoD. I haven't played tye new one and I don't think you have either and we haven't seen much especially no multiplayer yet. I'm not saying the next one will be awesome, for all we know it could turn out like Ghosts, but so far it looks interesting and I will give it a try when it comes out. That's nothing to do with being a sheep but they usually give me what I want for online play.

There are people who say they are always the same, but each one so far playes quite different from each other and if you want to play well you still need skill.

I don't think most people get CoD just to fit in but because they enjoy playing it online. If other companies can make an enjoyable online FPS they will get my money as well. Evolve will get my money and I will spend money on the next UT and also plan on making content for it. EA won't get my money for BF any time soon and despite of how much I like Star Wars I'm not sure if I should buy Battlefront after all the BF4 crap I had to put up woth while their executives state that there are no problems with the game.
TheSaint  +   549d ago
'Don't like it don't buy it.'

Is that what you say to your parents when they question you about buying it for you?

CoD is a kids game these days, that's why it gets more casual with very iteration.
OrangePowerz  +   549d ago
@Saint

Funny guy, you should do some stand up comedy. I'm well over 30.
700p  +   549d ago
It wont go down anytime soon because casuals will ALWAYS buy call of duty.
Gatsu  +   550d ago
How long can CoD stay on top or interesting...wait a sec it never was, at least for me. Got nothing against new games, but I think it's time for a new fresh game series instead of the never ending FPS shooters. But milk the $-cow while you can I guess. I just don't get why someone likes these games, is it the multiplayer? I rather play games which are so special that I remember after many years, I mean like story and characters etc...
#3 (Edited 550d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
GarrusVakarian  +   550d ago
Lol, wut? Both BF4 and Titanfall are superior to the latest CoD.

If Advanced Warfare doesn't bring the good, this franchise is done.
Corpser  +   550d ago
lol no, Ghosts is the #1 selling ps4 game and #2 xb1 game
GarrusVakarian  +   549d ago
So what? Ghosts is garbage in comparison to BF4 and TF when it comes to gameplay and fun-factor. No amount of sales can change that.

People saying it holds the crown just because it sells more is hilarious. What a shallow factor in determining a games success. Garbage sells in this day and age, in all mediums, sales have never meant less than what they do today.
DeadlyOreo  +   549d ago
What's this obsession with people wanting Cod to be done haha? It's not going anywhere, it's still selling heap loads more than anything around. Cod existing does not affect you, just don't buy it and leave it at that.
GarrusVakarian  +   549d ago
Learn to read, I didn't say I wanted it to be done. If anything, I hope it gets better. MW2 and CoD 4 are two of my all time favourite games. I just know that if they carry on pumping out garbage like Ghosts, it will get discarded and replaced by greater games...which, IMO, has already started to happen with the games I mentioned.
#4.2.1 (Edited 549d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report
Swiggins  +   549d ago
Titanfall might have been better, but BF should't be compared to CoD in any way, the games are just way to different...they have different pacing, different gunplay.

While sales shouldn't be the SOLE factor for determining the quality of something; people forget that sometimes popular things are popular for a reason...sometimes.
aquamala  +   549d ago
the point is how can the franchise be "done" when it's selling so well? from Activision's earning report today

"Life to date, Activision Publishing’s Call of Duty: Ghosts remained the #1 best-selling game on the next-generation consoles in North America and Europe combined."
Johnsonparts23  +   549d ago
lol maybe Titanfall even though it's too barebones, but BF4? omg that was/is the worst game of the year. Couldn't even play it for what, 5 months after launch?
Kevlar009  +   550d ago
Battlefield has been its stiffest competition and it's been going to crap the past 2 years, EA really screwed its image with the server problems and lies. CoD looks to be bigger and better than last year with AW, where hardline is more on par with an expansion pack.

Say what you will about CoD quality or innovation, but what they show you is what you get and the games run fine (their hype is a little humorous, but that just because Infinity Ward has gone to crap). Still not sure about AW, but if there is a WiiU version and the game is back above MW3 quality I will probably get it. MW2 was well deserving of its scores and one of my favorite games, I hold every CoD game since its release to MW2's standards.

CoD is heavily ingrained into popular culture, I don't see it dieing down if they can increase the quality with AW.
#5 (Edited 550d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
chrisarsenalsavart  +   550d ago
I m not a fan of cod myself but I completely agree with u on that point.
Oschino1907  +   549d ago
MW2 had easily the most technical problems and the most obvious balancing issues along with glitches and exploits out the wazoo compared to any other COD after COD 4.

So how is it that MW2 sets the standard?

IMO while W@W, MW2 and BO each have their own strong points and things they did better over other CODs since, they were easily the biggest messes in many areas as well and by far ran more off hype/fad purchases.
#5.2 (Edited 549d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
ShaqSoda  +   550d ago
I think Infinity Ward should stop making CoD. I like Treyarch's games. We'll see about Sledgehammer.
Johnsonparts23  +   549d ago
Infinity Ward is Call of Duty though. So they'll always make them, but they do need to do a better job than the last couple.
neocores  +   550d ago
Lol call of duty will always be the top shooter they already have everyone on thier side and no matter all the hate they will always sell Millions
@2 Dislike why? Im only tell the Truth?
#7 (Edited 550d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
gamerfan0909  +   550d ago
Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with COD at all? The games are what they are and don't pretend to be anything else. It's a fun action centered shooter in single player and a competitive action shooter in multiplayer.
OrangePowerz  +   550d ago
Nope you are not the only one, but it's much cooler to hate on CoD. By the looks of it Destiny will soon take over being the more hated game on the internet.
#8.1 (Edited 550d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Summons75  +   550d ago
Its far from top. No quality anywhere in the game.
Swiggins  +   549d ago
"That's just like....your opinion man..."
Summons75  +   549d ago
A lot of the gaming community says it's crap and sales have been going downhill....

Kinda fact.
CervantesPR  +   550d ago
until destiny comes out in september 9th
Meltic  +   549d ago
It has got down but i Think with this new COD game coming soon it will go up and up. The graphic is easy comparable to killzone shadow fall now. And even better. The story is allso looking good too me.
#11 (Edited 549d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Ares84HU  +   549d ago
Personally, I think if it goes back to world war 2 and they do it well than it can stay on top. I'm kind of sick and tired of this future crap that's going on right now.

Maybe even a CoD game taking place in 1990's or early 2000's would be nice. And going back to CoD4 multiplayer style.

One can dream.....
Slugfest321  +   549d ago
Why does everyone think people who play cod aren't gamers or are trying to be cool or some other stupid reason. I play all genres of games but i enjoy playing cod multiplayer now n again i dont think its the best game but i enjoy playing it with mates. All it is is mindless fun.

But cod ghosts was just soooooo shit
Pinkdolphinyfg  +   549d ago
All i want is Cod 4/Mw2 Remastered on next gen with dedicated servers and a unified ranking system that spans both games. Is that too much to ask for? Tbh i think the only good competitive multiplayer I'm going to be playing this year is Halo 2 remastered and maybe some Titanfall here and there.
#14 (Edited 549d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
TheSaint  +   549d ago
'How Long Can Call Of Duty Stay On Top?'

As long as there are parents willing to buy it for their children, so probably forever.

Scraps: Modular Vehicle Combat Preview - ChristCenteredGamer

28m ago - The game still has its share of flaws, but it shows a lot of great potential. If things continue... | PC

Fire Emblem Fates’ Battle Systems Detailed in Nintendo’s New Video Series

54m ago - Are you new to the Fire Emblem universe? Do you simply want to see what is being added to the new... | 3DS

N4G Game of the Year Awards Nomination Contest

Now - Help us create our Game of the Year nominee list and you could win one of five $100 Amazon Gift Cards. | Promoted post

Shadow Hearts: Covenant Review

1h ago - Evan from Bit Cultures writes: "Looking back at Shadow Hearts: Covenant, I remember a game that w... | PS2

The Big Game: XCOM 2

1h ago - by Christopher Dring: My friend Andrew was the only friend I knew with a computer when I was 12.... | PC

NGB | The Legend of Legacy Review

3h ago - NGB Wrote: "Sadly, The Legend of Legacy is just too monotonous and one dimensional to recommend t... | 3DS