Submitted by CGMagazine 79d ago | opinion piece

How Long Can Call Of Duty Stay On Top?

Summer vacation is half done, and all eyes are turning to November, when Call of Duty releases its latest iteration, Advanced Warfare. This year, as with past years, when the game hits shelves, at least 10 million people around the world are going to buy it for whatever machine they own. Activision is already digging up several holes to make room for the new pools full of money they’ll be swimming in, while lighting up victory cigars with $100 bills. There’s simply no question that in terms of sales, COD is the king. But for how much longer? (Call of Duty: Black Ops, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Culture)

DirtyPimp  +   79d ago
it started on the bottom and has been downhill ever since. (quality wise)
Rowdius_Maximus  +   79d ago
It's been rehash after rehash but Advanced Warfare looks interesting for sure
-Foxtrot  +   79d ago
Hopefully the final nail will be put in it's coffin this year
Douchebag696  +   79d ago
I agree. I hope they will finally get knocked down.
CloudRap  +   79d ago
LMAO why so people can lose their jobs? So you can supplement your fractured fanboy ego? What is it with people wanting things they dont like to fail its stupid and a detriment to the industry. Same thing with all these fanatical xb1/wiiU doom and gloom comments, if you dont like it shut up and dont buy it dont ruin it for those who actually like it.
3-4-5  +   79d ago
There really isn't any GREAT or even really good FPS games out right now.

We keep saying mediocre games are good, but we need to realize what we've been playing can be much better.
OrangePowerz  +   79d ago
Because you don't like it? I wasn't a fan of Ghosts, but I had a blast with the other CoDs and given how much time I spent playing online I got my moneys worth easily.

Edit:

@Fox

Look how many copies they sell versus how many people complain online? The people complaining are in a huge minority.

Don't like it don't buy it.
#2.3 (Edited 79d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
-Foxtrot  +   79d ago
Yes...because I am the ONLY ONE who doesn't like COD /s
Swiggins  +   79d ago
You're not the only one, but the people who don't like CoD are almost always more annoyingly vocal than those who do.

Don't like it, fair enough that's your right. Don't try and drag people down about it though.
-Foxtrot  +   79d ago
Want to know why it sells....because people who don't really play on video games much play on it just to fit in with social crowds who are talking about it.

They are sheep following the latest craze. Most people for those reasons won't even play on it that much, only to proudly state they DO play on it to "fit in"
OrangePowerz  +   79d ago
I play tons of games and I love games like Dark Souls, yet I still enjoy playing CoD online. It's something I can play for half an hour so and get some good games in. It's like Quake or UT, easy and quick to pick up. Also important is that it works on launch and I don't have to wait half a year before it's playable. EA killed BF for me by forcing DICE to release before CoD.

Most of them have also an enjoyable campaign, they are not cerebral but decent action fun like a summer action flick and particularly Treyarch does some rather good singleplayer campaigns.

If they would be all the same there wouldn't be a difference between what CoD game I like and which one I don't.

On top they cpuld make the best game ever and it would still get the same hate because it's called CoD. I haven't played tye new one and I don't think you have either and we haven't seen much especially no multiplayer yet. I'm not saying the next one will be awesome, for all we know it could turn out like Ghosts, but so far it looks interesting and I will give it a try when it comes out. That's nothing to do with being a sheep but they usually give me what I want for online play.

There are people who say they are always the same, but each one so far playes quite different from each other and if you want to play well you still need skill.

I don't think most people get CoD just to fit in but because they enjoy playing it online. If other companies can make an enjoyable online FPS they will get my money as well. Evolve will get my money and I will spend money on the next UT and also plan on making content for it. EA won't get my money for BF any time soon and despite of how much I like Star Wars I'm not sure if I should buy Battlefront after all the BF4 crap I had to put up woth while their executives state that there are no problems with the game.
TheSaint  +   79d ago
'Don't like it don't buy it.'

Is that what you say to your parents when they question you about buying it for you?

CoD is a kids game these days, that's why it gets more casual with very iteration.
OrangePowerz  +   79d ago
@Saint

Funny guy, you should do some stand up comedy. I'm well over 30.
700p  +   79d ago
It wont go down anytime soon because casuals will ALWAYS buy call of duty.
Big_Boss88  +   79d ago
How long can CoD stay on top or interesting...wait a sec it never was, at least for me. Got nothing against new games, but I think it's time for a new fresh game series instead of the never ending FPS shooters. But milk the $-cow while you can I guess. I just don't get why someone likes these games, is it the multiplayer? I rather play games which are so special that I remember after many years, I mean like story and characters etc...
#3 (Edited 79d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Lukas_Japonicus  +   79d ago
Lol, wut? Both BF4 and Titanfall are superior to the latest CoD.

If Advanced Warfare doesn't bring the good, this franchise is done.
Corpser  +   79d ago
lol no, Ghosts is the #1 selling ps4 game and #2 xb1 game
Lukas_Japonicus  +   79d ago
So what? Ghosts is garbage in comparison to BF4 and TF when it comes to gameplay and fun-factor. No amount of sales can change that.

People saying it holds the crown just because it sells more is hilarious. What a shallow factor in determining a games success. Garbage sells in this day and age, in all mediums, sales have never meant less than what they do today.
DeadlyOreo  +   79d ago
What's this obsession with people wanting Cod to be done haha? It's not going anywhere, it's still selling heap loads more than anything around. Cod existing does not affect you, just don't buy it and leave it at that.
Lukas_Japonicus  +   79d ago
Learn to read, I didn't say I wanted it to be done. If anything, I hope it gets better. MW2 and CoD 4 are two of my all time favourite games. I just know that if they carry on pumping out garbage like Ghosts, it will get discarded and replaced by greater games...which, IMO, has already started to happen with the games I mentioned.
#4.2.1 (Edited 79d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report
Swiggins  +   79d ago
Titanfall might have been better, but BF should't be compared to CoD in any way, the games are just way to different...they have different pacing, different gunplay.

While sales shouldn't be the SOLE factor for determining the quality of something; people forget that sometimes popular things are popular for a reason...sometimes.
aquamala  +   79d ago
the point is how can the franchise be "done" when it's selling so well? from Activision's earning report today

"Life to date, Activision Publishing’s Call of Duty: Ghosts remained the #1 best-selling game on the next-generation consoles in North America and Europe combined."
Johnsonparts23  +   79d ago
lol maybe Titanfall even though it's too barebones, but BF4? omg that was/is the worst game of the year. Couldn't even play it for what, 5 months after launch?
Kevlar009  +   79d ago
Battlefield has been its stiffest competition and it's been going to crap the past 2 years, EA really screwed its image with the server problems and lies. CoD looks to be bigger and better than last year with AW, where hardline is more on par with an expansion pack.

Say what you will about CoD quality or innovation, but what they show you is what you get and the games run fine (their hype is a little humorous, but that just because Infinity Ward has gone to crap). Still not sure about AW, but if there is a WiiU version and the game is back above MW3 quality I will probably get it. MW2 was well deserving of its scores and one of my favorite games, I hold every CoD game since its release to MW2's standards.

CoD is heavily ingrained into popular culture, I don't see it dieing down if they can increase the quality with AW.
#5 (Edited 79d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
chrisarsenalsavart  +   79d ago
I m not a fan of cod myself but I completely agree with u on that point.
Oschino1907  +   79d ago
MW2 had easily the most technical problems and the most obvious balancing issues along with glitches and exploits out the wazoo compared to any other COD after COD 4.

So how is it that MW2 sets the standard?

IMO while W@W, MW2 and BO each have their own strong points and things they did better over other CODs since, they were easily the biggest messes in many areas as well and by far ran more off hype/fad purchases.
#5.2 (Edited 79d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
ShaqSoda  +   79d ago
I think Infinity Ward should stop making CoD. I like Treyarch's games. We'll see about Sledgehammer.
Johnsonparts23  +   79d ago
Infinity Ward is Call of Duty though. So they'll always make them, but they do need to do a better job than the last couple.
neocores  +   79d ago
Lol call of duty will always be the top shooter they already have everyone on thier side and no matter all the hate they will always sell Millions
@2 Dislike why? Im only tell the Truth?
#7 (Edited 79d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
gamerfan0909  +   79d ago
Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with COD at all? The games are what they are and don't pretend to be anything else. It's a fun action centered shooter in single player and a competitive action shooter in multiplayer.
OrangePowerz  +   79d ago
Nope you are not the only one, but it's much cooler to hate on CoD. By the looks of it Destiny will soon take over being the more hated game on the internet.
#8.1 (Edited 79d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Summons75  +   79d ago
Its far from top. No quality anywhere in the game.
Swiggins  +   79d ago
"That's just like....your opinion man..."
Summons75  +   79d ago
A lot of the gaming community says it's crap and sales have been going downhill....

Kinda fact.
CervantesPR  +   79d ago
until destiny comes out in september 9th
Meltic  +   79d ago
It has got down but i Think with this new COD game coming soon it will go up and up. The graphic is easy comparable to killzone shadow fall now. And even better. The story is allso looking good too me.
#11 (Edited 79d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Ares84HU  +   79d ago
Personally, I think if it goes back to world war 2 and they do it well than it can stay on top. I'm kind of sick and tired of this future crap that's going on right now.

Maybe even a CoD game taking place in 1990's or early 2000's would be nice. And going back to CoD4 multiplayer style.

One can dream.....
Slugfest321  +   79d ago
Why does everyone think people who play cod aren't gamers or are trying to be cool or some other stupid reason. I play all genres of games but i enjoy playing cod multiplayer now n again i dont think its the best game but i enjoy playing it with mates. All it is is mindless fun.

But cod ghosts was just soooooo shit
Pinkdolphinyfg  +   79d ago
All i want is Cod 4/Mw2 Remastered on next gen with dedicated servers and a unified ranking system that spans both games. Is that too much to ask for? Tbh i think the only good competitive multiplayer I'm going to be playing this year is Halo 2 remastered and maybe some Titanfall here and there.
#14 (Edited 79d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
TheSaint  +   79d ago
'How Long Can Call Of Duty Stay On Top?'

As long as there are parents willing to buy it for their children, so probably forever.

Last chance to get Sting as free preorder DLC for WWE 2K15 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

4m ago - PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 gamers have a last chance to get Sting as a preorder bonus for WWE 2K1... | Xbox 360

How Platinum Games Designed Bayonetta 2’s Nintendo Costumes

5m ago - "While Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive, it was still pretty surprising to see her actually wear... | Wii U

How Much Will it Cost to Run Assassin's Creed Unity on the PC

6m ago - So out of sheer curiosity I thought I'd put together a list of some of the cheap (Not the rock bo... | PC

I'm Deleting Xbox Music, And It's Time You Did The Same

7m ago - NowGamer: "My relationship with Xbox Music over the year has been difficult. As soon as the Xb... | Xbox One

iCreditCardNow.com

Now - Quickly locate just the right card for you. | Promoted post

Borderlands: Pre-Sequel – How to Summon Nel A Dick Boss Guide

14m ago - Need help to find secret boss named Nel in Borderlands: Pre-Sequel, here you are to get the fight... | PC