Submitted by boyscout299 154d ago | opinion piece

The Remarkable Thing About The Destiny Beta

Although the Destiny beta story is lackluster so far, one gamer (who usually cares much about storylines) couldn't care less because the game is so engrossing and addictingly fun. (Destiny, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Snookies12  +   154d ago
Yeah, I'm not caring too much about the story honestly. The game itself though is just so much fun... Was up until 5 am playing this all night with my friend. Got to level cap in one sitting, lol. This game is a winner, it does so many things right.
#1 (Edited 154d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Drithe  +   154d ago
Thing is, you havent seen anything yet. You have yet to really see what these classes can do. I love a good story and hope they really expand on it.

One thing they did NOT explain was .... How in the hell was our characters dead for a long time? Did those GHOSTS raise us from the dead? WTF MAN!!
Squeaky_door  +   154d ago
They will surely explain this in the full game
Heisenburger  +   154d ago
Lol yeah. It wasn't until I started my second class that I thought "Wait! Was I one of those decrepit old skeletons?? Woah..."

Idk why I didn't snap at first!

;)
xGrunty  +   154d ago
Actually if you paid attention to the first cut scene they did explain it.
joab777  +   154d ago
Wanna know why it wont bother anyone? Because theres more than 1 way to tell a story...and theres more than 1 story to tell.

Anyone played Dark Souls? How many of you would want a well crafted Last of Us type story in Bloodbourne? No one b/c From does it differently. How many have played an mmo like FF14? It has a story but it isnt told like Halo is.

Destiny will tell a story but it wont be a tightly crafted linear tale like its older brother was. Bungie will give us the Universe, the characters, backdrop and lore, and WE will craft the story ourselves...with our best friends and those who will soon become our friends b/c of this journey.

Destiny will always draw comparisons to Halo, but it isnt Halo. Its something much much more...almost a natural progression of Reach. Instead of the focal point being on Master chief and Cortana, it will be on us as players. Its more impactful and immersive.

Its better this way. Ask anyone who has played a great mmo for years...or a souls game.
#1.2 (Edited 154d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Hanuman  +   154d ago
I absolutely agree with Snookies.. This game made me forget all about the other games I was playing. Seeing the Bungie logo pop up when I first started it up gave me goosebumps, and it just got better and better from there on. It's been a while since I had so much fun in a multiplayer FPS.
#1.3 (Edited 154d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Zombro  +   154d ago
I think the game is a bore just me I guess
Dirtnapstor  +   154d ago
We've seen nothing really as far as the story goes. That's not the intent of the beta. Why do people write or think things of this nature? Use common sense please.
thorstein  +   154d ago
Common sense is uncommon on the internet.
Gwiz  +   154d ago
This game has a lot of potential,still loving the beta ATM.
GoPanthers999  +   154d ago
If the finished product is anything like the Beta, the game is not for me. 20-30 minute fire team battles that are completely repetitive. Constantly re spawning enemies. Most of the action underground like a dungeon crawler. Who expected bullet style guns in a futuristic shooter? Throwing knives? Multiplayer, been there, done that. I like the theme, customization and premise, the execution and design choices are lacking to me. The hype and media frenzy drew my attention, the Beta itself is new to me and is likely representative of the game itself.
leogets  +   154d ago
So what games float your boat?
Funantic1  +   154d ago
The game is mediocre at best.
Zombro  +   154d ago
Totally agree evolve and sunset overdrive look more fun to me
GoPanthers999  +   154d ago
Def thinking about Sunset Overdrive and Halo MC Collection.
yankolo  +   154d ago
Well I download the beta playit for 10 min then I uninstalled of my xb1 ...still playing titanfall ....
aiBreeze  +   154d ago
After just ten minutes? Did you even to the tower? Probably a good idea you uninstalled , Titanfall is more ADD friendly after all.
objdadon  +   154d ago
Yeah good for you, as for me and Titanfall, I just got tired of shooting bots after a month! At least in the crucible I know I'm killing other players and the various ways to kill are so damn fun! I have a huge selection of weapons to try to attain and get good at instead of the same that everyone uses on Titanfall so. ......yeah.
Gwiz  +   154d ago
10 minutes?,believe me it gets better the more you play it,and i find it hilarious when people say a shooter game is repetitive,what does that in essence mean?
If anything this game presents missions on the go instead of on-rails,especially co-op is fun to play.

There's no shooter that doesn't repeat it's core gameplay over and over again,that can't even be a complaint.
Zombro  +   154d ago
Warlock with guns I mean c'mon man
joab777  +   153d ago
Its a beta. I mean c'mon. Consider the amount of content given for a beta. Trust me, when it releases, it will have a ton of content. But yeah, missions are meant to be replayed. Its an mmo despite what they say.

The interesting thing to me is the argument against repetition. How many ppl play the same CoD, Battlefield, Halo maps for years? This will have that plus repeatable story and strike missions...that actually continuously reward you.

On top of all that, unlike many games that simply add a couple maps over the following yr, I am fairly certain that destiny will have content patches, dlc and possibly expansions.

As far as the story, it may not be Halo. But u r selling urself short if u think Bungie doesnt know how to create an amazing universe with a killer story.
Dynasty2021  +   154d ago
As much as I've thrown a lot of console hate around lately, I have to confess I'm pretty well sold on Destiny.

While it is uninspired and just a mash up of Borderlands, Halo, Mass Effect and Diablo 3...I have to admit, it's a damn well polished, very well presented game.

The 30 FPS is inexcusable for 2014 though, as almost every popular gamer on Youtube has been pointing out, especially on the new consoles (why can't we have one at 30 FPS and one at 60? Are we that pathetic that we can't accept that older hardware is rubbish and can only do 30?). I'm still shaking my head at times on my PS4 at it running at 30 FPS.

But yeah, it's an addictive game that I hope has good end-game content that isn't just grinding, otherwise it will get boring super fast with a lvl cap of only 20.
#6 (Edited 154d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
deafdani  +   154d ago
As someone who's not much of a fan of FPS games, I must say it: I've found the Destiny beta to be ridiculouly fun (playing it on PS4).

Yup. This is the game I could buy a PS4 for. I hope I can get myself one of those sweet white PS4 destiny bundles shortly after they come out. :)
Abzki  +   154d ago
Wasn't paying much attention to destiny but decided to try out the beta. It's fun but as much as I try I can't get past the fact its 30 fps. I'm not a 1080/60 only kind of guy but 60 fps is a must for shooters to keep it feeling smooth and easy on the eyes. Hopefully they optimize a bit more and hit a stable 60fps but for now its not on my list of games to buy.
#8 (Edited 154d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Gwiz  +   154d ago
I had no issue with 30FPS and i'm used to UT3 on PC,if anything is fast when it comes to FPS it's that franchise and i could still enjoy this beta.
grs20031  +   154d ago
This game is a gem. In a world where all peilople want to do is OD on COD... destiny allows tou to have your cake and it too. From and old school single player gamer that has watched gaming get destroyed by online deathmatches, this game has reinvigotared my love of video games. Playing through the story and having other unique player join me, or not, on a quest is is pretty awesome. I love walking into a battle zone crushing enemys and out of nowhere see a bad guy get sniped in the head from some unknown player. We can link up or just carry on our own merry way. Bungie has something really good going here. All you dudes complaining about the story need to settle down and remember that this is just a beta. Its only a taste. And you dont need to know everything yet. Just enjoy the game for it is right now. Te best has yet to come im sure. Dont hate and appreciate this work of art.
grs20031  +   154d ago
Sorry for all the misspellings. Im typing on my android
LAWSON72  +   154d ago
How unbalanced a competitive online game was considering who made it was quite remarkable.
#11 (Edited 154d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply

Get a First Taste of the Hotline Miami 2 Soundtrack

16m ago - Other than a teaser or two there’s been nothing released yet from the Hotline Miami 2 soundtrack.... | PC

Want to Learn How to Design Sidequests? Play Majora’s Mask

21m ago - ZD: "In video games, we can often draw a distinction between two major classes of “things to do”:... | Retro

Linking Masks and Majora - Possession in Majora’s Mask and Noh Theatre

24m ago - ZI: Based on its title alone, it can be assumed that at least one mask in Majora’s Mask will play... | Retro

Should Masks be Brought Back in a Future Zelda Title?

1h ago - ZI: Whenever someone says the words "Zelda" and "mask" in the same sentence, it's needless to say... | Wii U

Win a PS4!!

Now - Join us on Filmwatch to find out how you can win a free PS4 this holiday season! | Promoted post

What It Means to Be a Hero: Link’s Iconic Role in the Zelda Series

1h ago - ZI: "Zelda games come in many shapes and sizes. They appear on both handhelds and home consoles.... | GameCube