Submitted by CGMagazine 160d ago | opinion piece

Eventually Graphics Won't Matter

The “leap” in graphics from the PS3/60 era to the PS4/Xbox One generation is not a great one. Certain developers, like Quantic Dream, have pushed graphics so far that something like Beyond: Two Souls still looks like an impressive title even today, gameplay criticisms notwithstanding. Meanwhile, people play something like Watch_Dogs on new consoles and many people say “Well, it looks better, but not that much better.” (Beyond: Two Souls, Culture, Watch Dogs)

NextLevel   160d ago | Trolling | show
xX-StolenSoul-Xx  +   160d ago
Once we reach photorealism well I actually think it'll just make me crave more fantasy games as realism is not what I crave.
Anyways gameplay already matter more than graphics.
Many indie games show this fact and the mass popularity on minecraft shows gameplay is what matters.

I'll always prefer a cool art style vs realism
#2 (Edited 160d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
uth11  +   160d ago
This was my thoughts exactly. Stylized graphics are the future, not photo-realism. This will be driven more by talent rather than resolution.
DougLord  +   160d ago
Gameplay has always mattered more than graphics. Go look at the classic greats and tell me you wouldn't rather play them than something Next Gen with a 30% meta score.
Matt666  +   160d ago
Do you mean realism as in graphics being realistic, or game play realistic, as in that car acts a certain way and that gun acts a certain way etc.

Game play should defiantly come before graphics, but I would to see more games with game play realism
#2.3 (Edited 160d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
dmitrijs88  +   159d ago
its time to make realistic physics, fully destructible world, ability to pass any obstacles and so on.
SteamPowered  +   160d ago
I dont know about this theory. The first thing I do with any game on my PC is crank the settings to max. I mean, sure the game is playable, but I think its human nature to want more and push the limits.
Eldyraen  +   160d ago
True but the theory is sound as once it reaches a certain level more won't necessarily be better and just become distracting clutter.

I don't think we have reached that level yet or even close but graphics of today (especially the top tier games) have reached a point where I can't seriously complain about most of them anymore be they released on PC or Consoles (handhelds and mobile sure but they are catching up and handhelds are now much older tech wise than most mobile devices). There is still room for improvement of course but not near as much as there used to be. Most "weak points" are due to limitations such as physics (static props), true 100% dynamic lighting, etc which makes the world somewhat "fake" but doesn't distract much.
Devs though can do so much today where I don't notice it "most of the time".

Realism, once truely achievable, will become secondary however as there will still be a huge market for it but style and substance will begin to reemerge to balance things out. Think of it sort of like Art or Film as we can make anything look "real" given enough time, money, and talent but there are still huge markets for other styles than pure realism.

I still think we have a few generations of consoles to go though till then and even then scale of games can be expanded which may not be pure graphics related but fidelity wise will make huge advances.

Graphics at some point will be at a level where other aspects of the game will have to catch up for true progress to continue.
Clown_Syndr0me  +   160d ago
The graphics leap hasnt been that great, that much is true.
I guess the main differences we will see this generation will be to do with gameplay dynamics that werent possible last generations. Maybe more players, bigger worlds, shorter loading times, better physics...Im no expert but Im sure you get my drift.

I also agree with the comments above, often stylized graphics are better (depending on the game ofcourse). I want to see a proper cartoon game this gen, like The Simpsons Game or the Family Guy game that actually looks exactly like the cartoon! That would be cool.
SteamPowered  +   160d ago
South Park was pretty unreal. Plays just like an episode. Im not saying they broke the budget on animation, but it really adds to the game.
Clown_Syndr0me  +   160d ago
Oh yeah I forgot about that. That was awesome. I love cartoon games for some reason.
Genova84  +   160d ago
I love that more and more games have either no loading screens or very short ones. Dark Souls is a good example of this.

I remember mortal kombat trilogy on psx took about 20 seconds to load a fight. Injustice on pc takes maybe 5 seconds.

And of course, gameplay is what keeps us engaged in the games we play. That's why I stopped playing the remake of Thief after 5 hours ...
uth11  +   160d ago
Yes despite that the new gen is more powerful, the gain in graphics isn't that noticeable because it was pretty good to begin with. Yet some people want to take us to 4K gaming with faster and faster FPS. So that means you will need hardware that is 4X more powerful, 4X the memory, 4X as much data to load (hello long load times) for the same gameplay!

If you game from your living room sofa, you would not benefit much from 4K unless you had a huge TV.

I'd rather see those compute resources put into worlds that are more interactive, better physics,etc.
Genova84  +   160d ago
Are you saying that you'd notice the better graphics on a smaller screen as opposed to a larger screen? Or are you saying 4K gaming is pointless unless you have a large tv?
uth11  +   160d ago
I'm saying 4k is pointless unless you are really close or have a large screen. Or else your eyes cannot tell the difference (not my opinion, this has been demonstrated)
Genova84  +   160d ago
Gotcha. I sit about 8 feet from my 60" tv. Thinking if it was 4K I'd be able to tell. Granted it's not 2 feet like a computer monitor would be ...
dcj0524  +   159d ago
The graphics leap is small because the consoles are running PC hardware from mid-range 2012 PCs.
DougLord  +   160d ago
The Xbone is 1,300 GFlops vs the 360 at 230. That's a 465% increase.

The PS4 is 1,800 GFlops, which is roughly 40% more than Xbone.

So the difference between the 360 and the Xbone is 12x GREATER than the difference between the Xbone and the PS4.

If the difference between last gen and this gen is not significant - then 1/12th of that is INSIGNIFICANT. Basically undetectable to the naked eye.
FlyingFoxy  +   160d ago
There are PC graphics cards just under 5 Tflops that aren't terribly expensive, and you most certainly can see the difference.
skydragoonity  +   160d ago
Graphics will always matter
psuedo  +   160d ago
I want the graphics this gen to look as good as those skyrim mods look. However I really want no load times, smarter a.i. and some fresh ideas.
iceman600  +   160d ago
that's never going to happen especially one consoles.
Eldyraen  +   160d ago
True but that is why style is so important--it helps level the playing field.

DA3 and W3 look near enough where I can't complain. In many ways their style (and the fact they are newer games) allow them to look "better" overall as modded Skyrim looks phenomenal but it is a patchwork that doesn't look that good 100% of the time. In fact it makes somethings even more jarring (grass mods can help hide hideous rock polygon count only so much).
iceman600  +   160d ago
"Eventually Graphics Won't Matter"

P.S They never mattered, and only the mindless impulse buyers are the ones who though it made a difference.
FlyingFoxy  +   160d ago
They'll hit a wall just like with resolution, graphics will get so good as real life then i don't know what will happen (hardware advancement wise) but it will be a while longer until that happens.

And resolution will only matter to a point where our eyes can't see any more difference, i think according to apple it seems to be around 200 pixels per inch, so depends on the res and size of screen you are viewing. I think this is why LCD's are shifting to have 120hz/144hz now to advance in other ways like motion clarity, but this needs even stronger hardware obviously.
#9 (Edited 160d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Godmars290  +   160d ago
Graphics don't matter now. Not to a point *everything* needs to be photorealistic.

That's been the biggest industry mistake since the introduction of HD and AA games.
DeusEx-Machina  +   160d ago
@Godmars290
Agree. Too many developers accept the foul compromise and maximize the graphic potential of their games at the expense of area size, draw distance and overall content.
#11 (Edited 160d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
gedden7  +   160d ago
Graphic Don't matter too much now.. Its only a matter of time for the rest of gamers and the media to stop hyping it up.. Btw It's not about photo Realism is life like lighting and movement.
welly300  +   160d ago
Depends on wht u like to play fps and driving games the more releastic the better.
Gamer777  +   159d ago
The smaller and smaller jumps in graphics are simply due to diminishing returns; adding more processing power has less effect on visuals. PS4, XB1 and Wii U games will still look better with time as devs use the hardware more efficiently year after.

I however think games should be aiming for better and better AI and greater interactivity, instead of just showier graphics.
#14 (Edited 159d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Cobra951  +   159d ago
Diminishing returns are here in full force. I'm glad I'm not the only one shining the light on that issue. Gen 7 is simply *good enough* already for many games. Anything more is just icing on the cake, when most people already liked the cake.
iceman600  +   157d ago
Graphics matter? this is why todays games suck ass.
#16 (Edited 157d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
D-riders  +   151d ago
silly article graphics will always matter. this industry Is still in its infancy. their will be virtual reality and much more. were just playing games through a few mediums right now in the future their is no telling what will happen. but one will remain constant, things will always s get upgraded and better, and that will mean
looking better as well.

Day of the Tentacle’s Graphics are Better Left Untouched

3m ago - Sometimes, it's better to leave a classic alone. | Culture

Crunchyroll heads to Wii U

1h ago - As of today, Wii U owners can access the Crunchyroll application, a leading global destination an... | Wii U

Fate/Stay Night Characters Make Cameos In Divine Gate

3h ago - GungHo Online Entertainment is taking their crossover strategy from Puzzle & Dragons and applying... | iPhone

Hyakka Ryouran Elixir ~Record Of Torenia Revival~ to release on April 9, 2015

3h ago - Kaga Create have announced the release date of the PS Vita game, Hyakka Ryouran Elixir ~Record Of... | PS Vita

Are you bored?

Now - Watch 10 seconds videos about games and game culture at COUB Gaming... | Promoted post

You Can Control This Guy's Real-Life Christmas Tree From Minecraft

4h ago - This is incredibly cool. Also, given the Internet's proclivity for dousing good intentions in gas... | Culture