Submitted by TheShrew 48d ago | opinion piece

Stop crying about remastered games; It's a great trend for everyone

We get updated versions of fantastic games, and the industry gets a ton of money. What's the problem? (Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster, Grand Theft Auto V, PS4, The Last Of Us Remastered, Xbox One)

« 1 2 »
Pabbs_Slick  +   48d ago
My thoughts exactly. What about the people who didn't have a PS3 but have a PS4? People are just haters who would rather complain about something that has doesn't affect them in any way than let the rest enjoy a good thing.
GribbleGrunger  +   48d ago
It's been an embarrassing few weeks for 'journalists' in general concerning this whole remastered debate. Everyone has a habit of viewing the topic entirely from their own perspective, forgetting that only 7 million of an 85 million PS3 install base bought TLOU, some of which will now own (or will own) a PS4.

Add to that the 360/Wii owners that have also now moved over to the PS4 and it becomes clear why it makes sense to release a PS4 version. People need to stop thinking only ONE gamer matters and start thinking like a company who has millions of gamers to cater for.

I'm going to go ahead and also include something that is a future motivation for Sony to do this. I await the articles: By adding TLOU to the PS4 library, Sony now have the option (which they will use) to release TLOU on PS+ just prior to the launch of TLOU2 on PS4. Watch it happen.
#1.1 (Edited 48d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
knifefight  +   48d ago
It's like everyone for this (and many topics) comes out like "Here's my opinion AND EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE MY OPINION AND MY LIFESTYLE CHOICES!" Like other people are stupid if they feel differently.
TheJacksonRGN  +   48d ago
31% of PS4 owners owned a 360 or a Wii last gen and 17% never owned a last gen console. So that's almost half of PS4 owners who never played The Last of Us
Fluchtpunkt  +   48d ago
RIght Gribble!

I CANT wait for the HALO Master Chief Collection!
#1.1.3 (Edited 48d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
ikkokucrisis  +   48d ago
I'm still surprised that Crytek has not tried to re-release their Crysis series to these next gen consoles. But then again, that's why they are where they are now...those arrogant pricks, mwahaha!
#1.1.4 (Edited 48d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
KingOfOldSkool  +   48d ago
Publishers will always try to maximize the potential of their investments and expand upon increasingly slim profit margins one way or another, so considering all of the obnoxious ways they've attempted to do so over the last few years, I would rather deal with easily avoidable re-released content than a proliferation of dissected content in future releases.
#1.2 (Edited 48d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
clouds5  +   48d ago
Two words: backwards compatibility.

I would have bought a ps4 but I didn't have a ps3. So i went for a used and very cheap ps3. Very happy with it. But no money for Sony. Their loss.
dcj0524  +   47d ago
It's ok when the ps4 gets it but when the Vita gets remasters it's bad. Smh
Matt666  +   47d ago
I rather have NEW games for my next gen consoles, not games I already got. It just a way for companies to make extra money.
KinjoTakemura  +   48d ago
The reasons people come up with for opposing remastered games just don't make any sense. Some claim that developers have to divert resources away from other games in development to make these remakes even though most people understand that most large development companies have several teams that work on several projects simultaneously. Then some claim that remakes are shameless cash grabs. If you have a choice to not buy the game and you already know in your mind if the remake is worth price, how is it a cash grab if you have an informed choice? The arguments against remastered games make absolutely no sense to me at all. If someone could come up with a logical reason as to why they oppose remastered games i'm more than willing to consider it. Haven't seen one yet though.
#2 (Edited 48d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Clown_Syndr0me  +   48d ago
I dont mind remastered games, just dont like them so soon.
Im a big fan of most of the HD collections on PS3 as they include 2-4 games, all released over a long period of time on older consoles. They werent released one year prior.

But, no one forces anyone to buy these games. I will buy The Last of Us on PS4, as I havent played it on PS3 yet and would rather have the "definitive version".

Alot of remakes I will probably just ignore, I am building up a PS3/360 backlog thats going to take me years to get through anyway so its not like Im going to be short on games - ever.
Ghost_Nappa  +   48d ago
Mcc with its ridiculous amount of content and last of us remastered, both at 1080p60fps, completely nullify any arguments agsinst remasters
#4 (Edited 48d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
lnfiniteLoop  +   48d ago
as long as the devs dont bitch about the game not selling as many as they thought... then go ahead make your re-mastered versions... just realize your target market may be reduced...
Pinkdolphinyfg  +   48d ago
I don't really see anybody complaining.
HeWhoWalks  +   48d ago
Indeed, but I find that it's a select few, from a particular fan-base I won't mention, that continues to create drama here. Nothing wrong with Remasters since they ADD to gaming.

You might be hard-pressed to convince these folks of this, which is why the best policy is to ignore them. :)
Artista  +   48d ago
Remasters are great.. You get to play an improved version of your favourite games. And those who missed out the first time will play the best versions of the games.

What's there to b!tch about?
lelo  +   48d ago
Yes, I agree. I think developers shouldn't make new games, but they should remaster every single PS3/X360/Wii game and release them on the new consoles. And when Sony/MS/Nintendo release the PS5\X2\WiiU2, developers should do the exact same thing with those consoles. /s
#9 (Edited 48d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Finch  +   48d ago
I like remakes at the start of a Gen just to fill a gap. Later in the Gen they still ok, but when the gap is filled I am more looking at new things then remakes. There is a time and place for remakes and a start of a new Gen is fine and dandy.
BattleAxe  +   48d ago
"Stop crying about remastered games; It's a great trend for everyone"

People just aren't that smart these days. You just bought a new console, and you are getting old experiences, and it's only been out for 8 months. I don't think anyone would be complaining if years down the road Sony were to start re-releasing old games. Usually when someone buys a new console, they want new experiences, not old ones, no matter how good they are.
TheWow  +   48d ago
I'm fine with it, as long as the remastered title is truly a remastered title, and not a shameless money grab.
The latter issue is less present on platforms with backwards compatibility.
Soldierone  +   48d ago
It's not the act of remasters that is the problem. It's the prices.

When you got 3 HD games on a disc for 40 bucks, it was awesome. A slightly improved game for 60 bucks? Not too awesome at all.
shinrock  +   48d ago
The perfect statement.@soldierone.
KingOfOldSkool  +   48d ago
While I do agree the prices should come down a bit, I don't believe a remastered version of PS3 game released within the last couple years should be considered in the same boat as a HD compilation of ten year old PS2 games.
jay2  +   48d ago
Not at £15 more than the original
blackblades  +   48d ago
Yeah I like remastered I wish there were more ps2 collections and ps1 as well cause I wanna play plenty of ps1 rpgs. it'll be better if they improved on them like 100% like KH and add new things like symphonia. Basiscally fix everything that was wrong with it while improving load times. Also it'll be awesome if they remade the older games from ground up like KH:COM on gba to ps2.
eyeDEVOUR  +   48d ago
Too bad they wont remaster the two games most requested... socom2 and ff7
thebudgetgamer  +   48d ago
If it helps developers fund their next game I'm all for it.
ThichQuangDuck  +   48d ago
No point in complaining about remasters. They simply allow more people to play the games. The developers to learn from mistakes and add content. I understand people who feel they should receive a discount for originally purchasing the game,but they can always wait for a sale. There are even more games that can and should be remastered to warm people up for a sequel,but it brings up the debate of backwards compatibility which is a struggle for the consoles.
PlayableGamez  +   48d ago
There is nothing wrong with HD remakes and remastered ports and such and such. However, I can see why people are upset and why they would be due to the fact that people want to see new IPs but, it seems people don't understand the beginning of a generation of consoles to well. It's quite common for popular and high selling games to move on to the next gen of consoles. So it's not surprising that games like Wind Waker, The Last of Us, and Halo are moved over to the 8th gen consoles. And honestly, its not that bad. It could be a lot worse.
ForgivenZombie  +   48d ago
I would love to see the Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Kotor 1 & 2 remastered. I love these games and would definitely buy them again.
#20 (Edited 48d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
LoveSpuds  +   48d ago
I just dont understand why some people are getting so bent out of shape about remasters. If the title doesn't interest you then simply dont buy it.

Personally, I feel that if a title is deserving of a remaster due to its quality or because it is a much loved title then its a nice option for the relevant consumer.

I am really excited for TLoU even though I completed it 4 times, its like a good movie for me, something I love to revisit when the mood takes me.

I would love to see a remaster of Bioshock Infinite too as I loved this on PC and would love to play it again on console with visuals like I experienced on PC.

I have no interest in Halo but if people are excited for the remastered collection then I am happy they are excited, its sooo cool to be excited for a game, nothing beats that feeling when a game you are excited for is fired up for the first time :)
#21 (Edited 48d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Max-Zorin  +   48d ago
Give me a remastered NBA Street Vol. 2 and I might just bite.
PrinceOfAllSaiyans  +   48d ago
Im excited to buy TLOUR for my PS4 and Halo MCC for my Xbox One, and will get GTAV for PS4 sometime down the line. I dint mind remasters at all. But the only remaster that i see getting hate it TLOUR.
Imalwaysright  +   48d ago
I have no problem with remastered games. I do have a problem with the fact that there in BC though and these remasters wouldn't exist if these consoles had BC.
uth11  +   48d ago
Backwards compatibility wasn't really an option as they went to a completely new architecture. To include the hardware needed for backwards compatibility would mean including the previous CPU (if it's possible at all) and would have greatly increased the costs of the console. Software emulation usually isn't fast enough to run previous gen.
SpinalRemains138  +   48d ago
Remastered games are perfectly ok, as long as they don't take resources and development time away from new games.

That's my concern. The more money remastered games make, the more developers will jump on board. That's not rocket science, but business 101.

If we have lots of teams remaking their old games, we the gamers are bound to not see as many new titles. Remakes are cheaper, faster and the best for business, but not necessarily for gamers. Just because a remake is new to someone who missed out the first time, does not make it a new game.
#25 (Edited 48d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
KingOfOldSkool  +   48d ago
I agree with you for the most part, I suppose I just feel that when the budgets and team sizes are within reason, remastered titles aren't nearly as damaging a trend as the money pits(tacked-on MP, mainstreaming niche titles, unnecessary MMO's) of the last gen.
Macdaddy71  +   48d ago
I don't believe a % of ps4 owner went from 360 to ps4, I have both and the ps4 is NOT nothing great over my X1,... They are tons of gamers still playing 360 n waiting on games for X1, next year X1 will sell as many as ps4, nothing changed from the 360 to X1 all the great things you bought the 360 for X1 has
SuperSandLegend  +   48d ago
I never got the chance to play some of the remastered games on PS3, so I'm more interested in checking them out now that they've been vastly improved.
Petebloodyonion  +   48d ago
Here's why the PS4 remastered pissed me off:

- Put my old version of Quake 2 (year 1997) in my PC and find a cheap mods on the Net and Voila! 1080P and more then 60 frame sec for 0$
And no comments from ID of the mod guy saying that he discovered GOD while playing in 1080P and he had avoid sleep to achieve a 60 frame rate.

Or put actually any old pc game in a new Pc and put Max settings and same results as the 60$ remastered PS4 game but WOW it cost actually 0$.

You talk about remastered?
Go see resident Evil on game Cube, update graphics and model, new scenes and enemy. It's looking completely different from the ps1 game.
Gezmoyassine  +   48d ago
I don't think people have an issue with the whole remastering thing,i think that it irritates some people that there is a superior version of a game they already own.
And not everyone is willing to buy the same game twice.
#29 (Edited 48d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
stefan771  +   48d ago
The huge demand and the fact they are the only games being released has proven gen 8 completely unnecessary
Roccetarius  +   48d ago
Exactly, and it's pretty sad that people are swallowing this whole thing completely. If you don't have the games ready for it, then what's the point in buying the new thing yet?
LoveSpuds  +   47d ago
Guess this is your first console launch window.....I have bought around 6 consoles at launch and all have had a slow 1st year, this is nothing new to this generation.

This has actually been one of the better launches in my opinion, I have played some absolutely cracking games on ps4 so far and from the end of July onwards there is release after release to look forward too.
« 1 2 »

Nintendo Amiibo First 12 Figures Packaging

14m ago - Nintendo has revealed the lineup for their first 12 Amiibo figures coming out for the 2014 holida... | Wii U

The Best Podcast on the Citadel, Episode 17

14m ago - The guys discuss the standalone Kinect, the recent Smash Bros leaks and Amazon buying Twitch on t... | Culture

Games we don't want delayed in 2015

15m ago - The year of 2015 is shaping up to be one of the most amazing years for next gen gaming, in fact f... | Next-Gen

Techies Update exploding onto Dota 2 next week

16m ago - IncGamers reports that the Techies Update, containing everyone's least-favourite explosion-fetish... | PC

Study Game Design at DeVry

Corsair Launches DDR4 Memory

28m ago - While the JEDEC standard for DDR3 slowly creeped up from 800 MHz to 1600-1866 MHz, the new DDR4 m... | PC