Submitted by Eftsoons 29d ago | opinion piece

Why Did I Buy a 3DS?

An opinion piece that explores whether or not buying a 3DS was a wise decision and a brief overview of the state of handheld gaming. (3DS, PS Vita)

Chupa-Chupa  +   29d ago
why did you?
3-4-5  +   29d ago
I own both, love both, but I've played so many more games for 3DS because there are more DS/3DS games that appeal to me than Vita games so far.

* I'm sticking it out with the Vita though, I have faith they will realize their mistake.

3rd parties aren't helping either. They are making some pretty iffy or too niche games for Vita.

* Stop making games that appeal to only 20,000 people.

* 3DS has so many games that appeal to many different gamers but also games that appeal to everyone as well.

It's a nice balance, and hopefully the balance of games on Vita evens out a bit.

3DS in 2015 could be even better though.
#1.1 (Edited 29d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
mikeslemonade  +   29d ago
Don't buy a Nintendo system this generation after the Wii1 debacle. They don't deserve your money and they can rot this generation.
vergilxx3  +   28d ago
I own both too but I have much more games on my vita and only 3 for 3ds xl pokemon x, resident evil revelations and mercenaries and for vita I have Final Fantasy X-X2 HD,Dragon Ball z Battle Of Z,Borderlands 2,Need For speed Most Wanted,Assassin's Creed III Liberation,Persona 4 Golden,Killzone Mercenary,Muramasa Rebirth,God Of War Collection,Soul Sacrifice,Ragnarok Odyssey,Gravity Rush,Destiny Of Spirits,Ridge Racers,WipEout 2048,Walking Dead season one,Little Devains,Corpse Party,Wrc 3,Silent Hill and I still have plenty to buy I think I can't find the right games on 3ds and hell they are expensive will you recommend any good.?
NukaCola  +   29d ago
I own both. Love them equally.
woodchipper89  +   29d ago
3DS > Vita
Yes, I have owned both
MrSwankSinatra  +   29d ago
3DS > Vita

That's not even up for debate, it's an established fact at this point.
Spotie  +   29d ago
Since it's based on an opinion, it can never be an established fact.
rambi80  +   29d ago
Ps Vita + PS plus + PSN > 3DS

3DS has the better library, but PS vita is the better value proposition (For me at least)

And yes, i own both
#2.1.2 (Edited 29d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(10) | Report
infinitewords  +   29d ago
I have both and while I like the design of the vita more than the 3ds, the 3ds just has the better games. And it seems like Sony doesn't care about the vita since they don't release many AAA titles for it. I'm actually thinking of trading in my vita for a Wii U.
xazingop  +   29d ago
nice troll nintendo fanboy 10+
RexDD  +   29d ago
Vita > 3DS

It's called an opinion, and I respectfully disagree with yours.
xazingop  +   29d ago
Edit:Yes,Im(woodchipper89) nintendo fanboy
GdaTyler  +   29d ago
For me they're equal in software. It's my opinion. 3DS has better support so I'll end up with far more titles than on Vita.

On the matter of hardware I actually like both my 3DS XL and Vita almost equally as well. Though obviously Vita is much more powerful.
#2.5 (Edited 29d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
PSNintyGamer  +   29d ago
I bought a 3DS to enjoy multiple First and Third Party games.
jujubee88  +   29d ago
That's the definition of anything that can play games. (Even a calculator that can be hacked to play games)
Fullmetalevolust  +   29d ago
I bought mine for exclusive ninty games, cause it's a handheld and cause it has great JRPGs and awesome support by all sorts of developers.
SyluxPT  +   29d ago
Just got this week a 2DS with Pokemon X. So awesome! :)
Artista  +   29d ago
Yay, enjoy :). I'm getting a 2DS tomorrow along with Donkey Kong returns 3D.

-----------------

I'm the opposite. I ask myself why I bought a Vita. I'm gonna keep it tho' someday I'll be able to stream PS3 games on it, and of coarse more indie games & remote play. If I got rid of it, I'd regret it.
#5.1 (Edited 29d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
air1  +   29d ago
It could have been much worse! You could be asking why the f!!! Did I Buy this mother f!!!!!! Vita!
#6 (Edited 29d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
KillerResistance  +   29d ago
I bought a 3DS expecting to have a console experience and I enjoyed it a for while thinking it was but then I started to see what the PlayStation Vita could do and I thought "I wonder what the games are like" and I noticed it didnt have much games on it but I saw that the very few games it had at the time made up for it by actually being good so that February I bought my PlayStation Vita and I got Call of Duty for it. It was a terrible game but playing it with friends made up for it, hearing their funny reactions to you wrecking them in Party Chat made my days for months, I left my 3DS on the living room table collecting dust, until the demo for Monster Hunter 3 came out and I thought "Maybe this game might make me want to stay on 3DS more" but i got bored with it knowing its so much like the PSP one I already had on my Vita so I sold my 3DS knowing what I would be losing but till this day I still dont regret selling it (I sold April 2013). That's my story and you can notice I had both 3DS and Vita but preferred Vita more. This was just an opinion dont get mad.
sanosukegtr123  +   29d ago
owning both systems is great
OtakuDJK1NG  +   29d ago
I own both. 3DS since Xmas 2011 and Vita since Xmas 2013.

I have 21 games excluding indies/VC games:
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Kid Icarus Uprising
Bravely Default ( Currently Playing )
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Pokemon Y ( Currently Playing )
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Super Mario 3D Land
Concetion II: Children of the Seven Stars ( Currently Playing )
Senran Kagura Burst ( Currently Playing )
Tales of the Abyss
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
Resident Evil Revelations
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Yoshi's New Island ( Haven't started playing yet )
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Mario Golf World Tour
Fantasy Life
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Ace Attorney Collection
Codenamn: S.T.E.A.M

The Nintendo 3DS have the best library for system first three years.
#9 (Edited 29d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
Artista  +   28d ago
Thanks for reminding me about Code of Princess.
What do you have on Vita?
#9.1 (Edited 28d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Akiba's Trip 2
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment
Freedom Wars
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Tales of Heart R - digital

I tried others but got boring after one play or weeks or months
Killzone Mercenary - good game
Unit 13 - good repetitive game
Soul Sacrifices - good game
Modnation Racers Road Trip - no online lost interest
Wipeout - good game
Uncharted GA - boring first 30 minute
InTheZoneAC  +   29d ago
You bought a 3ds to play a Link Between Worlds and Pokemon X/Y. And Super Mario 3d Land and Super Mario Bros. 2...well those were my reasons, I waited for Zelda to come out first
xazingop  +   29d ago
why nintendo fanboy article on ps vita channel?
objdadon  +   29d ago
I wasn't playing my vita or 3ds either and traded them for a wii u 3 weeks ago. Well fuck that, I just bought a 3ds xl yoshi edition on the way to work and I'm gonna get another vita next pay week. The moral of the story is, you never miss things until they're gone! Lol!
rambi80  +   29d ago
Yeah, ever since i sold my Wii i keep getting this urge to play Mario Galaxy
deafdani  +   29d ago
Just buy a Wii U, then. You can play Wii games on it. Backwards compatibility FTW!
Inception  +   29d ago
Why i bought 3DS on the 1st place is because RE Revelation, Tales of the Abyss, Zelda OoT, and Megaman Legends 3 caught my interest. Too bad though that capcom canceled Megaman Legends 3 :(
jujubee88  +   29d ago
More importantly, why is this in the VITA section?
DanaBlack  +   29d ago
I've own a vita since day one and the only games that I ever played on it were Uncharted and Final Fantasy X + X-2, i mean when you have all the consoles with this unlimited catalougue of games, the Vita is the last one you would touch with my second last being my Xbox One
jmguy100  +   28d ago
Own both, like both but prefer vita.

Games interested for Vita:
Danganronpa 1/2, Persona 4 Golden, Toukiden, SoulSacrifice, Freedom Wars, Ys, LBP, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Sword art online Hollow Fragment, Tales of Hearts R, Killzone, Borderlands, Dynasy Warriors 8, FFX, One Piece, Minecraft, (Japan only: God eater 2, legend of heroes sen no kiseki, Phantasy star online 2, Gundam, Corpse Party, Tales of innocence r) and more to come.

3DS:
Pokemon X, Rune Factory 4, Bravely Default, Fire Emblem, KH3d, LozOot, LozALBW, MonsterHunter4, Fantasy Life, and hopefully more to come. (Am aware there are many more good games but not interested...)

I've spent more time on my Vita and prefer it because I am more of a "core" gamer but still love the 3ds because it has great support and much more games but just not as interested in it as vita games.
#16 (Edited 28d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
klecser  +   28d ago
Both consoles target different demographics. Some gamers are one or the other, or some are both. If the author can't see excellence in the 3DS' current software lineup, then he does not fit into the 3DS demographic, and probably shouldn't have purchased it in the first place. The 3DS lineup is a consistent Nintendo handheld lineup and it isn't a surprise to anyone.

Batman Anniversary - 75% off Batman titles at Green Man Gaming

4m ago - To celebrate the Dark Knight 75th Anniversary, GMG partnered with Warner Bros Interactive Enterta... | PC

Final Fantasy Inspired Batman Figure Revealed at Comic Con

27m ago - Twinfinite writes, "In what is sure to create a geek fandom singularity, Square Enix has announce... | Culture

Planet Explorers: SteamFirst Impressions

2h ago - SteamFirst: Every Saturday morning as a child, I would be glued to my TV in eager anticipation of... | PC

Let's Play - Trine 2

3h ago - Join Geoff, Jack, and Gavin as they play Trine 2. | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

Let's Build in Minecraft - Monopoly Part 3

3h ago - Geoff and Gavin are back building in Minecraft for "Monopoly Part 3." | PC