Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by prankster101 528d ago | opinion piece

Can 'Mario Kart 8' save the Wii U?

Now that Mario Kart 8 is out, does it go some way towards redeeming the Wii U console in the eyes of the public and industry? (Mario Kart 8, Wii U)

randomass171  +   529d ago
Not another one of these... can't we at least get some new material?
Benjaminkno  +   529d ago
yeah, where's the "When will the Ps4 hype start to pay off?" articles?...

The few exclusives Ps4 has don't warrant a purchase by a long shot, yet it's selling like crazy. Maybe by Christmas, but not now.

WiiU is superior in every way except graphics.
randomass171  +   529d ago
Er, I'm not asking the journalists to crap on Sony for an opinion as uncommon as that. I'm asking they stop asking this same tired question over and over. It's boring.
wheresmymonkey  +   528d ago
Oh the hype's paying off. I'm wondering if they can keep riding it untill their heavy hitters actually show.

I just think its funny that the majority of sites aren't commenting on the fact that sony and MS are both in a very similar predicament that Nintendo was in, this time last year.
WeAreLegion  +   528d ago
The Wii U is superior for YOU. For me, I play my PS4 more than my Wii U. Much more.

@wheresmymonkey - What predicament? Watch_Dogs, Wolfenstein, and Murdered all just came out in the past month. Nintendo has to rely on their own games to push the console. Sony and Microsoft can cruise on multi-plats for awhile. Neither of them is having a drought.
#1.1.3 (Edited 528d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report
OsirisBlack  +   528d ago
Lets not use hyperbole when discussing the Wii U please. I own Wii U,PS4,XB1 and a gaming PC but I can be realistic. I own MK8 and it is a great game I also own DKCT,Both Mario games and Zombie U.... they are all fun but did you notice a trend? No? Let me help you out. My next game will more than likely be Bayo2 or splatoon.See a pattern emerging? Exactly Both other consoles are superior because third party developers have completely shut Nintendo out.

For exclusives it is an amazing machine but that is really all it is for. I do believe MK8 will raise sales for June but it won't be enough. I only hope Nintendo does not abandon the system for at least 2 or 3 years and just doubles down on making quality games.

Zelda and Bayo 2 should move a few units as will Starfox and Metroid if they release it before killing off the system. But calling Wii U superior in every way just lets me know you either don't realize how bad their online is or you simply do not care about the big picture.

Nintendo needs to fix their Online,Relationship with third party devs(Fifa 15 is coming out on the Wii and not the Wii U),Their system image(lots of people still think its an add on for the Wii)and they need to fix their marketing. I still believe Wii U can turn it around but they are going to have to do it with an onslaught of popular nintendo only IP's.
gaffyh  +   528d ago
Mario Kart obviously hasn't saved the Wii U in the US at least as it still was outsold by the Xbox One, despite Microsoft announcing a price cut 3 weeks in advance. I think Japan might love it though, so they'll probably see a good bump there.

Nintendo needs to get Zelda out, everything else, other than X, won't appeal to non-Nintendo gamers.
KonsoruMasuta  +   528d ago
Expect them to continue happening.

Next article: "Will Super Smash Bothers save the WiiU?"

After that: "Will Zelda save the WiiU?"

It's coming. I can guarantee it. If it does not happen, I will eat my WiiU.
#1.2 (Edited 528d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
deafdani  +   528d ago
Lol, I can see these stupid articles still happening in 2016, 4 years after the console's release. :P
randomass171  +   528d ago
I'll take a bet on seeing them even after the next Nintendo console launches. Journalists can't get enough of this hoo-hah.
Dunban67  +   528d ago
I agree that the articles title is not original but the article itself is a well written in depth look at the Wii u and not a negative article ( if reality is not considered negative)

This article is in depth, well thought out and written w care unlike 90% of the articles that post on N4g and well worth the read -
3-4-5  +   528d ago
Look a site further explanation needed.
trickman888  +   528d ago
bahabeast  +   528d ago
they need that SSB and a new Zelda
gamerfan0909  +   528d ago
It won't save it but it'll sell about a million Wiiu's. The only thing that will save these consoles is a year where there's nothing but system seller games and the Wiiu gets priced dropped to 250 bucks. I'm talking a Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda, Starfox type of year. Either way Nintendo will be fine financially, but their next console has to be flawless. They're losing market-share by the minute, especially in NA.
SLUG  +   528d ago
thats very true
wonderfulmonkeyman  +   528d ago
Nintendo is selling refurbished units for $199.
Price isn't the issue.
gamerfan0909  +   528d ago
Lol dude most consumers are not going to go out of their way to look on Nintendos site to see their refurbished units man. You have to market something like that. If the Wiiu was marketed better and was 250 bucks they'd sell double what they're doing each month
Blackleg-sanji  +   528d ago
Where on the website?! Shoot ill pick one up at that price
wonderfulmonkeyman  +   528d ago
Mario Kart bundle offer.
Somewhere around $255 for the system, MK8, a wheel, a motion plus with Mario design, AND a code for one of four(or eight in the uk) really good games on the eshop.

Again, they've already got the price thing down pat, so save your laughter.
#4.3 (Edited 528d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
randomass171  +   528d ago
The value for that bundle isn't bad, to be honest. You're getting two games for one if you register Mario Kart, so that's a plus.
deafdani  +   528d ago
Metroid and Star Fox aren't system sellers, not by a long shot. Even Zelda is a bit of a stretch (though the games themselves sell pretty well).

Nope, the true system sellers are Mario Kart (already released) and Smash Bros (coming soon). In the past generation, the Wii Sports and Wii Fit games were massive system sellers as well, but that trend seems to have died completely, so Nintendo needs to ride on Mario Kart and Smash, and find new system sellers. Easier said than done, I know. :P

I honestly have a feeling that Splatoon will be a surprise hitter for the Wii U, and will help shift a lot of units. It's being made by Nintendo EAD, and it's a colorful third person shooter with online multiplayer and family friendly, with a rather unique twist to it. Plus, it was featured very prominently by Nintendo at this year's E3, both in the Direct and in the show floor. The impact it has made on the media is quite big for such a quirky game... could this be Nintendo's next big IP?

Yes, I'm dead serious here.
#4.4 (Edited 528d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
randomass171  +   528d ago
I'll use the same excuse Jim Sterling used for indies on PS4 (an excuse I actually agree with). Games like these may not be system sellers, but they are system justifiers. If a gamer looks at the new Zelda and is like "Yeah, this is what I'm getting for Wii U" it makes sense because that's a new game that people want on the system. It doesn't matter if Zelda is historically a system seller compared to Mario. It's still seen as a good reason to own the system, along with the plethora of other games coming out.
DirtyLary  +   528d ago
Well if the Wii U is still selling for $200 when Smash release, count me in to save the franchise with a purchase.
SLUG  +   528d ago
a_adji  +   528d ago
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Evil-Gouki  +   528d ago
It's games that sell machines, so Mario Kart can only help. I feel Nintendo need to tease us with a showreel of upcoming titles like they did back in the N64 launch days, It made the machine worth investing in because you knew you might not get these games that financial year but at least you knew they we're in development and coming to your console. It made your investment seem worthwhile, they have the best IP's of any company in gaming, just let us know that they're all coming to your shiny new purchase. (I DO own a Wii U btw)
DirtyLary  +   528d ago
Did you not see E3 and the treehouse feed?>>>>>
a_adji  +   528d ago
Who cares?. play the game or don't, buy the system or don't.

It's like when these bedroom journalists spoke about the wii's graphics fir 5 straight years.

Get a life.
wonderfulmonkeyman  +   528d ago
Can we start making down these particular "will it save the system" articles as either spam or trolling?
Because that's what it's gotten to the point of.
welly300  +   528d ago
It will help short term but it needs killer games every month to stand a chance more demos and apps on store increase sales 3rd partys will take notice.
BoneBone   528d ago | Off topic | show
Allsystemgamer  +   528d ago
I bought a wii u last week. The Mario kart bundle. Amazing game. Anticipating ssmb and Zelda atm. Got windwaker HD for free and picked up 3d world. I forgot how fun Nintendo games were.
senior32  +   528d ago
wii u sold staggering 60k in may in US with mario kart release.
wii u had 10k boost in japan in mario kart 8 week.

so wii u is dead
Emanno  +   528d ago
The hardest racing game I've ever played but it would be a tiny bit better if it had a story line. I rate 8.5 overall out of 10. I think MK8 & Smash could save the Wii U.
#15 (Edited 528d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
sovkhan  +   528d ago
No way, nintendo needs to change :
in terms of audience focus
hardware wise
and its own children/casual focused image...

This is not going to happen in the near future!!!
#16 (Edited 528d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
OtakuDJK1NG-Rory  +   528d ago
ocelot07  +   528d ago
No Nintendo need new IP's instead of shoving Mario and Zelda in front of our eyes.
KonsoruMasuta  +   528d ago
Where were you during E3? Nintendo announced like 4 new IPs.
ocelot07  +   528d ago
Not watching Nintendo of course. But even if these titles turn out being great. Nintendo will still shove Mario in front of our eyes. Be honest There is just to many Mario games. No doubt there will be even more next year and the year after that ect.
WickedLester  +   528d ago
Unless Nintendo decides to join the arms race and develop a console that can compete with Sony and MS hardware, 3rd party developers aren't going to be interested in bringing their titles over. Without 3rd party support, Nintendo consoles aren't going to sell. Yeah yeah I know, the Wii sold a ton. However that gimmick was lightning in a bottle and Nintendo won't repeat it. If you take the Wii out of it, Nintendo consoles have been trending down generation over generation since the NES.
KonsoruMasuta  +   528d ago
The Wii actually had plenty of third party support.

The problem was most of it was casual shovelware and watered down ports. Why would third parties wast their time making hardcore games when they can release some cheesy motion control dance game and make millions? That's basically how third parties viewed the Wii. Games were cheap to make, didn't require any effort, and the casuals ate it up.
#19.1 (Edited 528d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Lost in Shadow
Nights: Journey of Dreams
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Rune Factory Frontier
Rune Factory Tiles of Destiny
WickedLester  +   525d ago
Very few of those are worth a damn and you know it!
epicgrinds  +   528d ago
Could new topics save video game journalism? Nope everyone knows the only to stop trolls is to turn them to stone with the sunlight. Even e3 could not stop the redundant nintendo trolls. Nintendo trolls are quoted saying "Why cover new material when I can copy paste."

Examining the Explosive Success of the $120k+ Hatoful Boyfriend Plush Kickstarter

18m ago - Marcus Estrada writes: "Scarecrow’s last campaign was for a Hotline Miami figure. In the end, tha... | PC

Lara Croft GO: The Shard of Life, Cave of Fire Walkthrough

7h ago - AppUnwrapper writes: "This is a complete walkthrough guide with videos and relic locations for th... | iPhone

HotLiked - What the Internet is talking about right now

Now - Kill some time at You will regret it... | Promoted post

Chronicle: RuneScape Legends Enters Closed Beta

9h ago - Jagex, the creators of the award-winning free-to-play MMO RuneScape, today announced the beginnin... | PC

17 Best Star Wars Games of All Time

10h ago - Chillopedia: Gaming has exceptionally evolved since the past decade, which is quite evident from... | Culture

Minecraft: Story Mode - Episode 3 “The Last Place You Look” Complete Walkthrough

12h ago - Episode 3 “The Last Place You Look” Complete Walkthrough of Minecraft: Story Mode on the PC in 60... | PC