Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by sam_job 539d ago | image

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Character Model Comparison Screens Show Massive Next-Gen Improvement

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End is indeed something big from Naughty Dog. We just saw a gorgeous looking in-game trailer of the game that was captured directly from Playstation 4. Want to check out graphics/visual leap from Playstation 3 to Playstation 4? here are comparison screens of Nathan Drake's Character model from Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4: A Thief's end. This is what we called true: next-gen graphical experience. (PS4, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End)

Alternative Sources
« 1 2 »
Abriael  +   539d ago
I don't think "startling" means what you think it means.
#1 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(27) | Report | Reply
PLASTICA-MAN  +   539d ago | Well said
1080p 60 fps trailer: http://nd.images.s3.amazona...

Look how he pressed the sand with his wet forearm and thus making the pressured sand area wet too. Better dream to get such details even in movies, let alone games.

Look at how his nose and mouth are trickling water strings so realistically.

Lol I noticed sth else, the fly even rubs her fore legs together like in real life. Sth alone that would surrender CGI movie makers
#1.1 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(66) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
TomShoe  +   539d ago
Jesus, it's so good.
Concertoine  +   539d ago
I wasn't so impressed before seeing it in 60 frames. Looks amazing.
Hydrolex  +   539d ago
Do you guys notice Nate is getting older ?
GamingTruth  +   539d ago
you werent so impressed? then what the heck will impress you? avatar? avatar 2?
PLASTICA-MAN  +   539d ago
At concertoine, at 60 FPS, he moves so normally, made hum feel so human, I cna safely say that this the first 3D project that reached the first step to bypass the uncanny valley and it is a honour for us gamers to be a game that idi it INGAME even bfroe CGI movies.
starchild  +   539d ago
It truly is incredible. A visual achievement. It's also very likely to be an amazing game.
RyuStrife  +   539d ago
If you seen the latest Castle recently, Drake is Fillion. A skinny Nathan Fillion. If the current Nathan Fillion loses a lot of weight, he's definitely Nathan Drake.
Gamings-Last-Legend   539d ago | Spam
nicksetzer1  +   539d ago
Suprise surprise?? Ps4 more powerful than 8 year old ps3... that said UC3 was absolutely amazing visually. If the game looks anywhere near that ... damn.
bullymangLer  +   539d ago
uuuuuu creative
Visiblemarc  +   539d ago
Yep, I have a big crow sandwich for a couple of people around here who told me my expectations that it would look better than the Order (also gorgeous btw) were "highly unrealistic."
jjonez18  +   539d ago
No words can describe how beautiful that trailer looked running at 1080/60 on a house-sized movie thatre screen. Hands down the best looking game on consoles. A "generational leap"? More like a bottomless chasm. Not even a year out from launch and Naughty Dog already ain't playin no games.(pun sorry lol)

Side note: E3 Experience was amazing. The best way to experience e3. Youtube or other low quality streams do not do these conferences justice.

That enough gushing for the day, now I'm gonna go and have uncharted dreams.
#1.1.12 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(1) | Report
crxss  +   539d ago
looking more and more like Nolan North. NICE
ZodTheRipper  +   539d ago
60fps is a whole new world for this trailer
In the details you can clearly see that it's ingame and just work-in-progress, 1 or 2 small animation frames even are a bit choppy. Best looking game already.
mogwaii  +   539d ago
Is it making you moist?
PLASTICA-MAN  +   539d ago
lol at jjponez18: best looking game ON CONSOLES? lol! Best looking game ON EVERY PLATFORM, and this will stay likely for a long time. Where are now the PC master races trolling us; the pitiful console peasants? Look what simple peasants can do to master races: watch Assassin's Creed Unity gameplay and see how simple peasants DECAPITATED master races, and that was with the help of assassins which are The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4 at 1080p/60FPS. Sadly two assassins were missing or not connetced yet (lol AC unity has 4 assassins coop) and the missing assassins are Quantum Dream game and GOW4 which I am sure will look even better than Uncharted 4 (also Guerilla Games open wolrd rpg is a secret 5th assassin working in the shadows lol. Sony was too much indulgent , otherwise if all 4 assassins were connected and playing together at the satge, it will be a massive massacre for all master races lol /s
#1.1.16 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(10) | Report
RATEDAFORADULT   539d ago | Spam
PLASTICA-MAN  +   539d ago
At rate above, where did you get the number of polys?

Edit: At Family Guy below tyou are right , they skipped the cartoonish look of the previous titles because they are trying to make it seem more mature and darker, and they started this since the TLOU whose devs work on Unchrated 4 now and they didn't get along with old Uncharted devs who wanted to maintain same cartoony non serious feel of the game that is why they left Naughty Dog.
#1.1.18 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report
FamilyGuy  +   539d ago
They made him human. All the older Uncharted were great looking but the character models were more cartoon/caricature in style. This game has Nathan looking more like a real human, more so than any other game I've seen in fact.

It's like we watched and reeeeally good cosplayer rather than a game.

Any opinions about them losing that slightly cartoonist style for something more real?
Raf1k1  +   539d ago
Drake doesn't look as handsome as he did previously. I kind of prefer his last gen look TBH.
Dynasty2021  +   539d ago
The trailer is CGI pre-rendered footage for god sake.

No chance that is in-game footage.
#1.1.21 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(29) | Report
Magicite  +   539d ago
Nothing will top this in a long time (probably never on other available consoles)
ShinMaster  +   539d ago
@ Dynasty2021

It literally says that it was captured from PS4 hardware.

Not "pre-rendered CGI".
GundalfDeGrej  +   538d ago
It's in-engine, not in-game. When they first showed cutscenes from TLOU they also stated that it was shown from a playstation 3. While this was technically true, actual gameplay doesn't quite live up to it.

I'm just saying that maybe we shouldn't expect "super-amazing-wet-sand-p hysics-simulations" when we actually play the game. Much like how the snow in U2 doesn't actually get trampled in-game like in the cutscenes
BallsEye  +   538d ago
It does look absolutely stunning but I'd wait till release for judgement. You like it or not but all uncharted games were downgraded from what we've seen in reveal trailer (still looked amazing tho, one of best out there).

Here's some good ol uncharted:

or this straight from playstation forum

Well guys, you can't deny it. Both MS and Sony like to release upgraded footage and gradualy downgrade it in next gameplay videos untill it gets to final build, hoping no one will notice. As much as I love the series, I'm gonna wait with creaming over the graphics until the disc lands in my console. Any comparison vids/screens are stupid untill game is released.
#1.1.25 (Edited 538d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(12) | Report
imt558  +   538d ago
Those characters ( screenshots ) are from multiplayer, BallsEye.
#1.1.26 (Edited 538d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report
Utalkin2me  +   538d ago

So you're comparing single player models to mutliplayer models? They do downgrade for multiplayer to keep things running smoothly. ROFLMAO....this is priceless.
JBaby343  +   538d ago
@Balls-eye: You are showing multiplayer pics. The game looked just like the trailers that were released so I have no reason to think they can't do the same with UC4. That trailer was the most amazing thing I've seen on a game so far. My most anticipated title of nextgen.
morganfell  +   538d ago
I am just trying to figure out when Drake got married. Naughty Dog went out of their way to make sure we saw the wedding band. Good thing he and Elena finally got hitched.
randomass171  +   538d ago
Well said! Crazy attention to detail. Just... holy cow.
onyoursistersback  +   538d ago
towards the end of the video....the cage has something written in white text?! has any one seen it?!?!
kenshiro100  +   538d ago
Holy Moses. O-O
specialguest  +   538d ago
I don't believe those graphics are in-game, but more in-engine. ND does this all the time with their games like TLOU and Uncharted. During the cinematic scene, the animation is smoother and the graphics are slightly better. The real actual game play part of Uncharted 4 will not look much different than the cutscenes, but there is a difference.
ShinMaster  +   538d ago
@ BallsEye

The final build of Uncharted 3's Single-player had several upgrades actually:

It's only going to look better from here. It's the first generation of PS4 games. Remember how Uncharted 1 looked like compared to UC2, 3 or TLoU.
ShiranaiJittai  +   539d ago | Well said
@Abriael don't get me wrong you have released some great news articles related to gaming, but you are NOT one to talk about the "correct" words for people to use describing things. Every game that impresses you gets an almost verbatim headline. "Beautiful, stunning, spectacular, not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but it is redundant so you are NOT one to criticize others for using what you believe to be the wrong phrasing.

Edit: In addition the phrase is used correctly.

Startling (direct websters definition) very surprising, astonishing or remarkable. Verbatim definition.
#1.2 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Jonny5isalive  +   539d ago
ahha ryu thats exactly what I was thinking, he now looks exactly like the guy from firefly and castle but less weight.
OwnageDC650  +   538d ago
This game looks amazing! THIS is next-gen graphics baby!
XxExacutionerxX  +   538d ago
UNCHARTED 4, that was so great.....Wow when Drake got up and checked a gun..... Best graphics I have ever Got to love Sony fanboys (A E3 winner,lol)

If Drake took a dump in that trailer, you fanboys would have exploded in joy just like this boring preview. (Remember Uncharted 2 preview, that was a preview)
Drakes Going Number 2 only on Playstation 4!!
In 1080p 60fps!!

Uncharted is done, bring on Last of Us 2
#1.5 (Edited 538d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
abc1233  +   538d ago
I think he knows exactly what "startling" means and your attempt at intellectual superiority just backfired.
XiNarutoUzumaki  +   539d ago
My eyes exploded...
miyamoto  +   539d ago
Mind Blown!!!!

You just can't ignore the Nathan Fillion resemblance!
Can't wait to see his Drake's face is Wise Cracking mode.
#2.1 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
THE-COMMANDER  +   539d ago
The graphical leap is mind blowing!
randomass171  +   538d ago
Mine popped and then melted out of the sockets. I'm getting surgery as I type this comment. :'(
kenshiro100  +   538d ago
I think I had a nosebleed on my keyboard. o_o

This cannot be real. My eyes cannot unsee what it has seen.
XiSasukeUchiha  +   538d ago
My Sharingan/ Rinnesharingan can barely handle the greatness!!!!!!!!!
dboyc310  +   539d ago
Damn he got old lol The lighting is amazing. Always loved the water effect in the game where clothes looks wet.
Ares84HU  +   539d ago
First thing I noticed is how old he got. And he also has a face of an alcoholic now.
#3.1 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(14) | Report | Reply
MysticStrummer  +   538d ago
Marriage can have that effect.
HyperBear  +   539d ago
LOL...That's exactly what I was thinking. Looks like he's a tad bit older from Uncharted 3, so begs the question how long does this game take place after the 3rd installment?

Also begs the question, how old is Sully then? lol :D

@Nitrowolf2: Yeah, but several could mean anything 3yrs and higher, and I'm guessing Naughty Dog themselves are the only ones who know the exact number. But you can tell by looking at Drake that it's been a long time, indeed!
#3.2 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Nitrowolf2  +   539d ago
Takes place several years after 3
starchild  +   539d ago
People keep saying he looks "old" and I agree he looks a bit older, but not a lot older. I think it's just because he is rendered so convincingly now and you can see every little wrinkle. lol
majiebeast  +   539d ago
Now they just need to let Nathan Fillion play Drake in the Uncharted movie they look practically like brothers at this point.
rdgneoz3  +   539d ago
Love Fillion. He was great in Firefly / Serenity, and he's doing great in Castle as well (the season finale was good). He's probably the one that has the closest personality and looks to Drake.

As for the game, gotta love Naughty Dog's beautiful in game cutscenes.
starchild  +   539d ago
Couldn't agree more. I have been a big Nathan Fillion fan for a long time and I have always wanted him to play Nathan Drake in an Uncharted movie.
randomass171  +   538d ago
Seriously. That face model? I mean I know it's Nathan Drake but it looks so dang much like Fillion. They have to make it happen at this point.
kenshiro100  +   538d ago
I agree 100%. He looks like a real life Nathan Drake.
Metallox  +   539d ago
Looks very cool, and at 1080p and 60FPS? Definitely Naughty Gods.
Ipunchbabiesforfun  +   539d ago
Wow, this is so awesome. The middle second is obvious it's in-engine because he looks more like a game character than in the beginning. Crazy graphics
GamersHeaven  +   539d ago
Next generation doesn't start till Naughty Dog says so.
leemo19  +   539d ago
This is the improvement I've been waiting for.
crazychris4124  +   539d ago
Trailer was nice but i was hoping for a walkthrough
LordMe  +   539d ago
I knew this gen would shine once these cross gen games stopped.

U4, The Witcher 3, The Order, AC Unity, The Division, Batman ajd more all look amazing because they are focused on current gen only.
#10 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
McScroggz  +   539d ago
Holy wow dem graphics.
JohnathanACE  +   539d ago
Is it just me or is Nate starting to look a little old?
Legendary-Status  +   539d ago
this is like the true sequel to U2 AMONG THIEF'S U4 A THIEF'S END
Qrphe  +   539d ago
Oh man when I noticed it was 60fps I coulsnt help but feel excited.
Agent2009  +   539d ago
Sure, cause the only thing that hypes the people is 60 FPS and uber-realistic graphics. Idiots.

Not hating the game itself, gunna play it for sure.
Qrphe  +   539d ago
Feeling excitement at the technical skill of developers is nor wrong, enjoy your one bubble
FlyingFoxy  +   539d ago
if you were a gamer at all you'd realise that 60fps makes a world of difference.
randomass171  +   538d ago
They hype is real my friend. This right here is THE reason to own a PS4... not that there wasn't reason before. XD
Gratisfaction  +   539d ago
I love Uncharted! This game is going to be great!
johny5  +   539d ago
He only gets better with age, while graphics gets better with youth! "meaning new hardware"
Thundercats   539d ago | Spam
Eyesoftheraven  +   539d ago
Uncharted 4 seriously looks more impressive than Avatar did/does just through knowing it's real time 60fps.
level 360  +   539d ago
Wow!, that is scary real.. and I mean that in a good way.

Short video demo just makes my hair stand with all that detail. Phenomenal!!

I bet this also has a 3D-enable function to really feel the depth and atmosphere of the game.
#19 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
ColeMacGrath  +   539d ago
Judging by the game's title, I'm worried that this is going to be the last Uncharted game (which I hope it isn't), also you could tell that Nathan's getting older by every game.. Just like Ezio in Revelations, Nate might just become tired of climbing and running due to his old age. DONT LEAVE US NATE! :(
iamnsuperman  +   539d ago
I think Nate or someone else big might die. The trailer did hint at the last Uncharted game and it did have a dark theme tonit
jocomat9  +   539d ago
im hoping drake has a boy with ellie, (Maybe ellie will die possibly giving birth considering they are going darker themed) And uncharted can continue with drakes son. . maybe drake will leave clues for his son similar to what sir drake did. who knows. Its my guess and wish for it to continue. But we gotta play this game before making any assumptions.
ElementX  +   539d ago
#21 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
ElementX  +   539d ago
I'll wait to see the in-game graphics of game play instead of the cutscenes.

*EDIT* No doubt the actual game play will look fantastic however people always get so excited about cutscenes.
#22 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
Teddy-Duchamp  +   539d ago
Your being a Debbie downer!
ElementX  +   539d ago
No, I think UC games look great however I'm not going to go crazy over some cut scene footage.
johndoe11211  +   539d ago
I also remember you guys saying that for the order preview last year and saying that there was no way that it was in-game even though the devs clearly stated it at the beginning of the trailer.

Now, I'm not saying for sure that that was in-game footage of U4 but at this stage it wouldn't surprise me the least if it was. You have the most powerful console on the market right now in the hands of the best console game devs in the world right now. Th possibilities are endless.
Ron_Danger  +   539d ago
If you want to see in game graphics, there's a really simple way. Just go to any link on the internet that has the Uncharted 4 teaser and then click on it and watch it.

There have already been multiple sources from Sony saying that it's in-engine. And here comes the news that MS fanboys really don't want to hear: almost every level in every Uncharted game starts with a 10 second in-engine cut scene that leads strait into gameplay without a black screen transition, so what they showed on stage, is what we'll be playing come launch.
cell989  +   538d ago
youre being a party pooper
BattleN  +   539d ago
This is unbelievable, so was it actually gamefootage or a trailer? I cant tell lol
#23 (Edited 539d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SynestheticRoar  +   539d ago
Drake's a pimp. If he's going out let him go out HARD.
NatureOfLogic_  +   539d ago
THIS, at 1080p 60fps...... I'll believe it when I see it. Don't let me down NG.
Inzo  +   539d ago
Im all for great graphics but this new model does not even look like Nathan Drake, sure it looks mind blowing no doubt and because its ND Im sure this game is going to be off the hook but at least let Drake look like Drake.

Or does he look like this because age and all those adventures are taking its toll.
Athlon  +   539d ago
It's due to age. Remember he says he's been out of the game for a while and wants back in.
fabiani  +   539d ago
they spent more time in zbrush.good
HappyWithOneBubble  +   539d ago
I don't think this will be the final look of Drake. Remember games tend to change after E3. I wouldn't be surprise if they gave Drake some gray hairs in final build.
nosferatuzodd  +   539d ago
O my god nayghty god you guys are amazing greatest developers ever
funkybudda  +   539d ago
MS fanboys are all crying in the corner, lol.
e3kehoe  +   539d ago
So I guess he's married now.. has a wedding ring on. That's probably why he looks so old. Lol
Inzo  +   539d ago
He was married in U3 but he and Elena were on a sabbatical because of his adventures ways.
« 1 2 »

Sword Art Online: Lost Song Review | My Games Lounge

1m ago - A full written review of Sword Art Online from fan David Game on My Games Lounge. MGL: "Get th... | PS4

Video Game Releases for December 2015

7m ago - All the video games coming out this December. | Xbox 360

See what games are coming out in 2016

Now - Visit our release calendar to see what games are coming out in 2016. | Promoted post

5 Reasons You Shouldn’t Buy Rainbow Six: Siege On Day One

7m ago - [NOWGAMER] These are the 5 reasons we think you should hold off on buying Rainbow Six Siege on la... | PC

7 essential PS4 multiplayer games you need to own

19m ago - PSU writes: PS4 has some brilliant multiplayer experiences on offer after clocking up two year... | PS4

10 Fixes for Just Cause 3 Crashes, Error 38, Resolution, Sound Bug, Stuttering, Direct3D Error, DXGI

24m ago - Crash Wiki: "Users are reporting crashes, errors, and bugs when playing Just Cause 3 on the PC/St... | PC