Submitted by Abriael 203d ago | news

GameStop Holding “Xbox One Trade Day” Tomorrow to Push Sales of New Kinect-Less Console

GameStop definitely isn’t new to giving Xbox One sales a nudge here and there, and looks like it’s going to happen with the new Kinect-less SKU as well, thanks to the “Xbox One Trade Day” which will be held tomorrow across the United States. (GameStop, Xbox One)

ArgumentumAdPopulum  +   204d ago
Retailers are doing everything they can to push Xbox One really hard. But I really don't think this will do much after seeing the results of all the price drops and Titanfall hype/marketing.
infinitewords  +   204d ago
Seems to me GameStop is backing the Xbone to try and increase it's sells. The better the sells, the more money GameStop stands to make, and since the PS4 is selling itself, there's no need to push it. It makes sense from a business standpoint, because GameStop really needs both systems to sell, in order to stay healthy. With that being said, I also think GameStop should do one of these promotions for the people who want a PS4.
CerebralAssassin  +   203d ago
You just said ps4 sells itself. So why do the same promotion for ps4? The only reason they do "promos" is to boost the bottom line. There is no need to run such a promo
mochachino  +   203d ago
If there's a finite console market size it wouldn't matter to gamestop which console sold better.

If Gamestop is going to sell 100 million consoles, whether it's 50/50 PS4/xone or 80/20 Gamestop would earn the same all other things being equal.

If Gamestop made more money on xone than PS4 then it would have incentive to push xone.

MS probably is working out deals with retailers.
Prime157  +   203d ago
As an employee of GameStop for two years, the most profit they receive is from preowned sales.

It's not about pushing the new Xbox, it's about getting preowned product into the store to resale.

They know people want new product, and the price entry point might make it viable, especially if people unleash their old product.

Trust me, that's the whole point of their "cycle" they push employees to learn.
#1.1.3 (Edited 203d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report
3-4-5  +   203d ago
Gamestop tends to back whichever one they can make money off of in the near future.

They were all PS4 last year, and then I went in 2 days after XB1 announcement and the were all XB1.

It depends on if the employees are fanboys are not.

The stores I went to for the past 15+ years was AWESOME, but they literally just closed or moved so I'm hoping I don't have any bad experiences from here on out.

I used to get hooked up there all the time too. damn.
SpideySpeakz  +   203d ago
It's obvious MS money-hatting. Just like the whole Machinima debacle...MS getting caught trying to buy the internet lol. MS is paying hard cash to retailers to put Xbone in the front seat.
It's really sad and desperate, but people aren't falling for it.
InTheLab  +   203d ago
It's called business. Why do you think Best Buy and most other retailers all have Xbox front and center despite the PS4 being the hottest item in gaming?
Kribwalker  +   203d ago
And I suppose ubisoft promoted and added an extra hour of gameplay to watchdogs on ps4 just because they wanted to. Man you're an idiot if you don't know how business and promotions work
CerebralAssassin  +   203d ago
Your post is silly and narrowminded. You have no idea how business operates.
uth11  +   203d ago
Best buy too gives the xbox one higher profile in their ads about 3 weeks out of 4 each month. I think there are kickbacks invokved. If it was because the ps4 was selling itself, they would still promote to hutch themselves to that hype train and sell more units than their competitors
Copen  +   203d ago
Truth is there's warehouses full of Xbox ones and retailers still have launch consoles they can't sell. I went to a Best buy the other day and they still had 3 day one edition X1's for sale. At this point MS is willing to and are having to take a loss just to move consoles. The fabricated positive X1 articles try and hide the fact that over half the number of X1's sold to date were sold in the 2 months it launched and it's selling less and less each month. If Titanfall can't get the desired sales MS was looking for then this initiative by gamestop and the price drop won't help. The sad truth is the PS4 is what customers want sales reflect this fact.
Flames76  +   203d ago
Are you really this stupid?Microsoft's goal was to ship 4.3 million Xbox Ones ending march 31.They hit 5.1 million and also ending march 31 the Xbox division profits was up 14%.What was sonys ending marhc 31?Thats right $200 million loss again for the playstation division.Which hasnt made profit in 8 years now.The Xbox One is at 5.1 million in 13 countrys in 4 months.The PS4 was at 7 million in 4 months in 57 countrys.You should really do some research next time before posting a stupid comment like that
#1.4.1 (Edited 203d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(10) | Report
WilDRangeRrfc  +   203d ago
Yeah your a Sony fanboy and everything you spew is BS here in England X1 are sold out at Argos in my whole region,and TF sold great every 1 in 3 X1 owner has it,ISS on PS4 has an attach rate of 1 in 7 so that's a flop I have both and they are both great,X1 is no 4 in most succesful console launches in history behind PS2,WII and PS4 so how is it not selling? Answer it is very well only on this cancerous website in Sony fanboy land is it not selling,oh and software sales on Xbox are higher AGAIN
Funantic1  +   203d ago
GameStop is treating this like a new console release. The X1 with Kinect was for the hardcore gamers. Those sales numbers are never as high as with the casual gamers. From now on the kinectless X1 wil take off in sales. I expect around around 12-15 million X1s sold by the end of the year especially with the release of Halo 5 and release in other countries.
#1.5 (Edited 203d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
cgoodno  +   203d ago
Retailers are being heavily encouraged and tempted by MS to do this. They're not going to go out of their way to do this without some sort of financial encouragement.
WeaseL  +   204d ago
Can only mean pre-orders are very poor for the Kinect free version
Abriael  +   204d ago
They don't seem to be stellar at GameStop. Ranked 68th.
URNightmare  +   203d ago
Wow! Looks like the Xbox One is flopping hard.
No_Limit  +   203d ago
@URNightmare ,

Actually the Xbox One is at #35, the PS4 is at #30, and the Wii U ..surprise..surprise is at Number 1, just to get everything corrected as of this hour.
#2.1.2 (Edited 203d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(8) | Report
Persian_Immortal  +   203d ago
Amazon is a different story all together the kinectless bundle is in the low 80s and 100 in rank, in most of the sites. In some of the other Amazon sites, mostly the European ones, the Kinectless bundle isnt even charting. I mean its well documented the Europeans really love their Nintendo and Playstation so this isnt to much of a surprise Microsoft needs to make it this work if they hope to eventually beat Sony.
THC CELL  +   204d ago
I work in game I've been told to push xbox even if I have to say it's a much better choice than ps4 what I don't btw. Why should I have to lie to people. Leave that to arse lickers
DEEBO  +   204d ago
yeah i went in for my review at gamestop at my store and seen boxes of the sku of x1's.but it doesn't make any sense to me,you had a system with the cam and a free game for 450 but now you are selling a system for 400 without anything? for 50 more dollars i get the better deal.but yeah gamestop is backing the xbox most of the stores are but people are going for the ps4
Kayant  +   204d ago
Got to bump up those may npd numbers ;)
TheFallenAngel  +   203d ago
If titanfail didn't do it maybe the price drop will? But I doubt they will be enough to pull ahead of ps4. After all USA is playstations biggest market. Ps4 is very popular right now.
Belasco  +   203d ago
It's not a price drop, it's a new sku.
LAWSON72  +   203d ago
The biggest market for Sony is EU, PS2, PS3, PSP, and Vita sold better in EU then in NA. Sony usually gets the edge in sales from EU and JP, even at $500 the PS4 is not destroying the Xbone in NA, judging by VGChartz they are fairly close (not best site but their numbers are usually not too far fetched). Once this $400 SKU is released and widely known dont be surprised if Xbone passes the PS4 in the US. The 360 sold quite a bit better than the PS3 in NA
#6.2 (Edited 203d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
TheFallenAngel  +   203d ago
The PS1 and PS2 sold a lot more in the US. So yes it is.
LAWSON72  +   203d ago
I misread PS2 it outsold in NA by a hair same goes for PS1, either way I would not be using PS1 and PS2 to prove Sony still dominates NA lol. These day Sony main buyer is EU, IMO it is still to early to tell if it could swap to NA
#6.2.2 (Edited 203d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
Copen  +   203d ago
If Titanfall didn't do it a price drop when you could've got a pack in game for 50 bux more won't sell either. People need to understand that the X1 just isn't as desirable as the PS4. The PS4 is the "IT" thing to have right now and rightfully so it's a better value price/performance wise and even at 400 the X1 is overpriced compared to the PS4 at the same price. If MS really wants to move units drop the price to 350 with Kinect THEN you'll see the sales pick up.
No_Limit  +   203d ago
Dude, Gamestop do this all the time for all consoles. It is nothing new. They are already running a promo to save on both a XB1 and PS4 since 6/2.

50% Extra Credit When You Trade Any System Towards a New PS4 or Xbox One
#7 (Edited 203d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
christocolus  +   203d ago
I think the console will get a good boost after the MS E3 conference. A lot of people are waiting to see how they perform at e3 and the games to be announced. I know a few people who will pick it up if crackdown and gears are shown in any way or form.

Man so excited for e3.its just a day and a few hours more.

@knws

I'm hoping so,same thing happened to sony immediately after their conference last year. Amazon and gamestop announced a surge in sales. I'm hoping MS has a very great show.
#7.1 (Edited 203d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
KNWS  +   203d ago
After E3 a surge in sales should happen, depending on what games Microsoft announce of course and people been interested in those games.

Just two more days, for E3.
#8 (Edited 203d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
dmonee  +   203d ago
What im going to write has nothing to do with this article. Usually I can find a thread that supports my rants. Last year, when the new consoles were announced, the Xbox1 left a bad taste in my mouth. I purchased a PS4 because of it. I planned on purchasing an Xbox1 if there was a price drop. This may be a great move for MS. At the moment, there isn't much going on for current generation consoles. Which means my gaming bank is filling up with some disposable income. I usually put money aside for a couple of games a month. With all these fall games being pushed back to 2015. I will have enough money to buy an Xbox1 by August. I may just do that. The only gamers that lose in this are single console fanboys. Sucks for them, When some of us will be able to play Uncharted 4 and Gears of War 4. I love gaming.....
xJumpManx  +   203d ago
Exactly, I love my ps4 would not get rid of it. Infamous was an awesome experience. However I love my X1 as well and will not get rid of it either. Titanfall has been awesome and Garden Warfare was great, dead Rising 3 was awesome. My WiiU has been getting some play time now too with Mario Kart 8. As a gamer if you can afford it why miss any games.
Belasco  +   203d ago
To be honest, there really isn't much of anything compelling for games in general for awhile now. I think maybe my interest is shifting due to age, which is kind of depressing. It's so hard for me to find any game that holds my attention anymore.
dmonee  +   203d ago
You and I may have been separated at birth Belasco. I feel the same way. Just a theory though but the last generation was so long that I feel like im just burnt out and borrd. The neeer games are the same with a slightly better coat of paint. Do what I did and watch the trailer for the order 1886. Then look at screens for Batman arkham night. Even though both are scheduled for 2015, its enough to look forward too.
VastoHorde  +   203d ago
Good idea just they should have done it on Monday. People are going to see E3 and some great stuff for Xbox One then they will want to go out and get the system.
generalthadeape  +   203d ago
I have a crazy idea here-- would anyone,(other than myself)-- consider trading in your TitanFall Xbox One edition for this?

Don't say it can't be done-- trading Xbox One for XboxOne-- I had an original green boxed Xbox One where the Kinect had to be sent back for repair-- told the Gamestop dude to put the money on my account & I'll decide later on the PS4 or the new TitanFall console. Went in a few days later & snatched up the one I'm thinking of trading in now.

The only thing I use my Kinect for is to log me in on to Xbox Live and the very occasional snap feature here & there-- that's all.

So, what if I traded my TitanFall Xbox One-- I get to keep the digitally downloaded TitanFall game-- plus and extra controller & extra wired headset for approximately:

PowerUp Rewards Member Pricing
System $344.50
Controller $31.15
Headset $9.10
Total $384.75

Additional 50% Bonus Credit
$384.5 * 1.5 = $577.12

To me, it might be worth it for $577.12 just to rid myself of the Kinect once and for all and to get rid of all the additional hardware that I probably won't need any time soon anyway.

So, are any of my fellow Xbox One owners even considering this trade, or am I the only one?

To me, it's kind of hard to not at least consider this deal since I'm not, (and have never been), that much into Kinect at all ever since the damnned thing was invented in the first place.
LAWSON72  +   203d ago
I believe controller is required with trade in, unless you have an extra one I think you will lose around $45 out of your calculated value.

Still if all this works out those with Kinect can easily get their money back and by the Kinectless SKU if they wanted to. I might think about but I kind of find my Kinect to be convenient, but I also could put that $100+ towards some games... tempting
#11.1 (Edited 203d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
generalthadeape  +   203d ago
Yeah, I have an extra controller & wired headset, so that's where additional value comes in for me.

I've already got my Xbox One boxed up from a recent move, so I don't plan on playing anything any time soon anyways.

I must admit, this is a tempting deal to me. I'll just wait & see how my day goes tomorrow before I decide.
cruzngta  +   203d ago
I love my XB1 and I hope this helps MS sell more units becuz they are getting smoked in sales globally. I am sure E3 will help as will this new $399 console. How much remains to be seen. Glad I have a PS4 as well and hope they have a good E3 too.
PS3and4_HAS_GAMES  +   203d ago
Kinda feel bad for all those people who bought the Xbox cause of Kinect and really believed in kinect....noooo I don't lol....you made your bed now lay in it. Microsoft realized they made a huge mistake
SonyMontana  +   203d ago
Funny how Games top is pushing so hard to try and sell a console for a company that tried to cut them out of the loop.
modesign  +   203d ago
trade in your stuff for %50 off of xboxone for $150, not bad.
#15 (Edited 203d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Goku781  +   203d ago
Great, now they have new SKUs to fill the selves like the day one Xbox Ones. Signs everywhere like Toysrus and Walmart had outside basicly begging please buy this thing!
FAT MAN GO BOOM  +   203d ago
Kills em they say this is a price reduction when it is not... Sony PS4 is the better choice by a long run even at par money... MS needs to go lower to 349 or 299 to be on par.
MaxwellBuddha  +   203d ago
People still shop at Gamestop??? I go to Target now. No dumbass employees harassing me, no white trash threatening to beat up their kids, and no smelly teenagers (seriously, hygiene: learn it). Just a clean, quiet, and pleasant shopping experience.

Korean idol Nana transforms into an alluring angel for MMORPG 'Ost Chronical'

13m ago - Korean idol Nana transformed into a dark and white angel as the new face of MMORPG 'Ost Chronicle'. | PC

Assassin's Creed Victory: 5 iconic London landmarks we can't wait to visit

15m ago - PSU writes: Assassin's Creed Victory has been confirmed to take place in Victorian London: her... | PC

5 PS4 moments that blew us away in its first year

15m ago - PSU writes; Here are five moments within the PS4’s first year that truly stand out and keep us... | PS4

Lego Batman 3 is already only £20 on PS4/XO

18m ago - Dealspwn writes: You've gotta love a good old fashioned price war. Retailers have been hacking aw... | PS4

Looking for a Loan with Low Interest?

Now - Prosper cuts out the middleman to connect people who need money with those who have money to invest...so everyone prospers! | Promoted post

Uncharted 3 and Faster Blu-ray double pack only £3

44m ago - Dealspwn writes: Uncharted 3 for a measly £3 is already an incredible deal for one of the PS3's f... | PS3