Submitted by Pozzle 224d ago | opinion piece

Mario Kart 8: Is it the Wii U's killer app?

Polygon: "Mario Kart 8 is a couple weeks from launch. We already believe it's one of the best games in a fantastic series. But will an excellent kart racer boost sales of the troubled Wii U console?" (Mario Kart 8, Wii U)

Attached Video
BoneBone  +   224d ago
I think it's a killer 'gateway' (app?)

People should see beyond Mario Kart 8 not only as the perfect time to jump on a Wii U, but also to now gain access to all the other top games it has now (including any Wii games people may have missed) and the ones coming soon, too.

(troll warning - don't make me list the dozens of 80+ scoring Wii U games on metacritic; the thirdparty games; the eShop exclusives; virtual console games; or the games coming soon - it isn't worth your trolling efforts.)
I loved Mario Kart, miss the Super Nintendo, N64, and GameCube. Mario Karts and Super Smash Bros were 2 of the franchises that would make me buy a Nintendo console back in the day. But now Nintendo has been dead to me since this whole Wii fad crap. This whole Wii stuff is finally going under, and 10 years too late if you ask me, hope Nintendo makes a real console again someday.

So I can go back to caring about games like this.
#1.1 (Edited 223d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
randomass171  +   223d ago
This was an oddly resentful comment.
Benjaminkno  +   223d ago
Your loss. Innovation doesn't suit everyone.
darkstar18  +   222d ago
rofl..have fun missing out bro ill let you know how amazing this game in a few weeks ;)
weekev15  +   224d ago
It will shift some units. Timing of it is pretty good. If they nail e3 with a few Megatons it will give people a lot less reasons to stay away. I just want to play the damn thing now. Come on May 30th, why you so far away?
randomass171  +   223d ago
29th for the good folks in NY. I'm very excited as well. :)
g-nome  +   224d ago
Does not need it , the Wii U is already dead..... / ;-) no hate ... i like my U .
bullymangLer  +   223d ago
neh, u more confused than a pigeon awake during an Eclipse :)

because you refer to the wiiU as dead but wiiU only has like higher quality exclusives over any other nextGen consoLe < fact hoh

but wiiU so crap nobody wants one . < haaaaaaa

wiiU peripheral ?

even Nano Assault is worth a wiiU purchase < fact

now marioKart 8 <<< duh . killer app . .

nintendo MK 8 DLC please thanks

vid: "The blue shell feels more of a welcome item now as EVERYONE will suffer, not just 1st place, unless u got one them horns"

nintendo thanX
#3.1 (Edited 223d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
Th3o  +   223d ago
Your argument would prob get less disagrees if it wasn't so glittered and plastered with "fanboy" all over it.

Make a construct and less smug comment.

There are plenty of reasons why the Wii.U will do just fine.

Fact of the matter is that most of it's titles are very late blooming.

The console has it's dedicated fan base.

The console appeals to people of all ages.

It's got stellar exclusives (but to be fair there are some amazing exclusives on both the Xbox and Ps4 either out or coming).

It remains the number one source of Mario and platformers on the market, let's not forget an amazing collection of games that most people experienced a taste of when they were younger.

There is a market for every console, and all 3 going strong.

Even the Vita is doing great(though Sony could pay a little more attention to it). It's got some strong games that is heavily under appreciated. It's also a hard sale due to the memory card issues we've been experiencing.

Let's give these consoles more time.
randomass171  +   223d ago
So... you love the Wii U but it's dead to you? I don't get it.
Benjaminkno  +   223d ago
He's saving face for his n4g buddies.
DoggyBiscuit  +   223d ago
MK8 will improve sales of the Wii U but I don't think it will out sale the PS4 or 3DS
Eonjay  +   223d ago
MK8 is a great game and we all know it. I think they should bundle demo disk with MK8 so they can give other game exposure on the hardware.
#5 (Edited 223d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Qrphe  +   223d ago
Hopefully but probably not
chrissx  +   223d ago
This game is gonna move a ton of units if it gets very good promos that's for sure
#7 (Edited 223d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DoctorJones  +   223d ago
Yeah it's all about the advertising, which apparently Nintendo are going to be doing a lot of with this game.

The Wii U is a great console, it's obviously not the most powerful, but it's getting a solid libary of games, slowly but surely. And at the end of the day that's all that matters. It deserves to sell more than it is doing at the moment.
randomass171  +   223d ago
One of its strongest and most ironic plusses is the fact that much of its library are indeed exclusives. I think it is a great console to own alongside the other consoles or a PC.
Vegamyster  +   223d ago
It all depends on advertising, they should be ending commercials with the free game offer that they're having.
KonsoruMasuta  +   223d ago
They said they plan on doing a year long marketing campaign.
Clown_Syndr0me  +   223d ago
Not for me, simply not my kind of game. It looks stunning, but not for me.
Im still looking for an excuse to buy a Wii U, just most Nintendo games don't interest me. Zombie U did, and I almost bought Wii U with that until I read reviews.
Also Im yet to see a TV advert about this game (Im in UK) and my local GAME/HMV have literally no adverts in store. It seems its getting promoted poorly.
#9 (Edited 223d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Chuk5  +   223d ago
it genuinely looks fantastic, i hope it pushes wiiu back into the race more.
Jyndal  +   223d ago
This game is gonna suck.
Chuk5  +   223d ago
nope.
voodoochild346  +   223d ago
Obvious troll is obvious.
randomass171  +   223d ago
Care to explain?
Benjaminkno  +   223d ago
He has no games to play, and he's mad tha WiiU will have the superior WatchDogs experience.
OtakuDJK1NG  +   223d ago
AGAIN with Polygon
voodoochild346  +   223d ago
Played Mario Kart 8 today a gamestop. Was very impressed with everything except for a couple of things. First the roster is hot garbage. How on the koopalings are great but whoever thought it was a good idea to make a baby version of damn near every main character instead of characters like dry bones , birdo, Funky Kong etc. really needs to be docked a week's pay. Dead serious. Also I don't like how the hud on the gamepad doesn't seem to have the same tracking view of the previous games(if there is a way to change this let me know). I like being able track the karts behind me so I can hit them green shells and bananas more accurately.

Now for the good things. The graphics are pretty impressive. People will think I'm hating but I've seen Forza 5 in person and I've said that the ridiculous amount of jaggies in that game was very disappointing. Mario Kart 8 on the other hand has far less and a much cleaner look. Granted art direction comes in play a bit but found the backgrounds to be better looking overall compared to Forza(no paper cutouts).

I really like the new drifting mechanics. While I never played Mario Kart wii, I did play the crap out of MKDS and snaking was pretty bad. I never had a problem beating them(mainly because I kept tight lines and accelerated through the apex of corners. Thanks Grand Turismo.) Sneaking is no longer a problem. All three vehicle types feel different from each other and yet balanced so no more bike dominance.

Over all if you have the money you would have to be an idiot or a complete fanboy not to get this game. Even if it's just for the free game you get with club nintendo registration. It's the real deal.
#13 (Edited 223d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Summons75  +   223d ago
App? Oh you mean game, this isn't a cellphone.
deafdani  +   223d ago
The term "killer app" has been around since waaaay before smartphones were even a thing.
Summons75  +   223d ago
I've never in my life heard that except with cellphones. I've heard Killer Game or software but never app and I've been gaming for 25 years
deafdani  +   223d ago
Well, you learn something new every day.

Iwata Says That The Iwata Asks Series Will Be Back At A Later Date

1h ago - MNN: "We all miss those kooky Iwata Asks segments which delve deeper into the development of Nin... | Wii U

Iwata Talks About The Power Of The Internet

1h ago - MNN: "We all know that the internet is a powerful medium for publishing news and getting content... | Wii U

Watch a Recap of 2014's Best PS3 Games

1h ago - Push Square: "... And we're back. Following on from yesterday's uber-awesome PlayStation Vita vid... | PS3

Are you bored?

Now - Watch 10 seconds videos about games and game culture at COUB Gaming... | Promoted post

Exclusive Content for Atelier Ayesha Plus: the Alchemist of Dusk in America

1h ago - Today, Koei Tecmo Games and Gust revealed new images and exclusive content of "Atelier Ayesha Plu... | PS Vita