Submitted by Pozzle 442d ago | opinion piece

Mario Kart 8: Is it the Wii U's killer app?

Polygon: "Mario Kart 8 is a couple weeks from launch. We already believe it's one of the best games in a fantastic series. But will an excellent kart racer boost sales of the troubled Wii U console?" (Mario Kart 8, Wii U)

Attached Video
BoneBone  +   442d ago
I think it's a killer 'gateway' (app?)

People should see beyond Mario Kart 8 not only as the perfect time to jump on a Wii U, but also to now gain access to all the other top games it has now (including any Wii games people may have missed) and the ones coming soon, too.

(troll warning - don't make me list the dozens of 80+ scoring Wii U games on metacritic; the thirdparty games; the eShop exclusives; virtual console games; or the games coming soon - it isn't worth your trolling efforts.)
I loved Mario Kart, miss the Super Nintendo, N64, and GameCube. Mario Karts and Super Smash Bros were 2 of the franchises that would make me buy a Nintendo console back in the day. But now Nintendo has been dead to me since this whole Wii fad crap. This whole Wii stuff is finally going under, and 10 years too late if you ask me, hope Nintendo makes a real console again someday.

So I can go back to caring about games like this.
#1.1 (Edited 442d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
randomass171  +   442d ago
This was an oddly resentful comment.
Benjaminkno  +   441d ago
Your loss. Innovation doesn't suit everyone.
darkstar18  +   440d ago
rofl..have fun missing out bro ill let you know how amazing this game in a few weeks ;)
weekev15  +   442d ago
It will shift some units. Timing of it is pretty good. If they nail e3 with a few Megatons it will give people a lot less reasons to stay away. I just want to play the damn thing now. Come on May 30th, why you so far away?
randomass171  +   442d ago
29th for the good folks in NY. I'm very excited as well. :)
g-nome  +   442d ago
Does not need it , the Wii U is already dead..... / ;-) no hate ... i like my U .
bullymangLer  +   442d ago
neh, u more confused than a pigeon awake during an Eclipse :)

because you refer to the wiiU as dead but wiiU only has like higher quality exclusives over any other nextGen consoLe < fact hoh

but wiiU so crap nobody wants one . < haaaaaaa

wiiU peripheral ?

even Nano Assault is worth a wiiU purchase < fact

now marioKart 8 <<< duh . killer app . .

nintendo MK 8 DLC please thanks

vid: "The blue shell feels more of a welcome item now as EVERYONE will suffer, not just 1st place, unless u got one them horns"

nintendo thanX
#3.1 (Edited 442d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
Th3o  +   442d ago
Your argument would prob get less disagrees if it wasn't so glittered and plastered with "fanboy" all over it.

Make a construct and less smug comment.

There are plenty of reasons why the Wii.U will do just fine.

Fact of the matter is that most of it's titles are very late blooming.

The console has it's dedicated fan base.

The console appeals to people of all ages.

It's got stellar exclusives (but to be fair there are some amazing exclusives on both the Xbox and Ps4 either out or coming).

It remains the number one source of Mario and platformers on the market, let's not forget an amazing collection of games that most people experienced a taste of when they were younger.

There is a market for every console, and all 3 going strong.

Even the Vita is doing great(though Sony could pay a little more attention to it). It's got some strong games that is heavily under appreciated. It's also a hard sale due to the memory card issues we've been experiencing.

Let's give these consoles more time.
randomass171  +   442d ago
So... you love the Wii U but it's dead to you? I don't get it.
Benjaminkno  +   441d ago
He's saving face for his n4g buddies.
DoggyBiscuit  +   442d ago
MK8 will improve sales of the Wii U but I don't think it will out sale the PS4 or 3DS
Eonjay  +   442d ago
MK8 is a great game and we all know it. I think they should bundle demo disk with MK8 so they can give other game exposure on the hardware.
#5 (Edited 442d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Qrphe  +   442d ago
Hopefully but probably not
chrissx  +   442d ago
This game is gonna move a ton of units if it gets very good promos that's for sure
#7 (Edited 442d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DoctorJones  +   442d ago
Yeah it's all about the advertising, which apparently Nintendo are going to be doing a lot of with this game.

The Wii U is a great console, it's obviously not the most powerful, but it's getting a solid libary of games, slowly but surely. And at the end of the day that's all that matters. It deserves to sell more than it is doing at the moment.
randomass171  +   442d ago
One of its strongest and most ironic plusses is the fact that much of its library are indeed exclusives. I think it is a great console to own alongside the other consoles or a PC.
Vegamyster  +   442d ago
It all depends on advertising, they should be ending commercials with the free game offer that they're having.
KonsoruMasuta  +   442d ago
They said they plan on doing a year long marketing campaign.
Clown_Syndr0me  +   442d ago
Not for me, simply not my kind of game. It looks stunning, but not for me.
Im still looking for an excuse to buy a Wii U, just most Nintendo games don't interest me. Zombie U did, and I almost bought Wii U with that until I read reviews.
Also Im yet to see a TV advert about this game (Im in UK) and my local GAME/HMV have literally no adverts in store. It seems its getting promoted poorly.
#9 (Edited 442d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Chuk5  +   442d ago
it genuinely looks fantastic, i hope it pushes wiiu back into the race more.
Jyndal  +   442d ago
This game is gonna suck.
Chuk5  +   442d ago
nope.
voodoochild346  +   442d ago
Obvious troll is obvious.
randomass171  +   442d ago
Care to explain?
Benjaminkno  +   441d ago
He has no games to play, and he's mad tha WiiU will have the superior WatchDogs experience.
OtakuDJK1NG  +   442d ago
AGAIN with Polygon
voodoochild346  +   442d ago
Played Mario Kart 8 today a gamestop. Was very impressed with everything except for a couple of things. First the roster is hot garbage. How on the koopalings are great but whoever thought it was a good idea to make a baby version of damn near every main character instead of characters like dry bones , birdo, Funky Kong etc. really needs to be docked a week's pay. Dead serious. Also I don't like how the hud on the gamepad doesn't seem to have the same tracking view of the previous games(if there is a way to change this let me know). I like being able track the karts behind me so I can hit them green shells and bananas more accurately.

Now for the good things. The graphics are pretty impressive. People will think I'm hating but I've seen Forza 5 in person and I've said that the ridiculous amount of jaggies in that game was very disappointing. Mario Kart 8 on the other hand has far less and a much cleaner look. Granted art direction comes in play a bit but found the backgrounds to be better looking overall compared to Forza(no paper cutouts).

I really like the new drifting mechanics. While I never played Mario Kart wii, I did play the crap out of MKDS and snaking was pretty bad. I never had a problem beating them(mainly because I kept tight lines and accelerated through the apex of corners. Thanks Grand Turismo.) Sneaking is no longer a problem. All three vehicle types feel different from each other and yet balanced so no more bike dominance.

Over all if you have the money you would have to be an idiot or a complete fanboy not to get this game. Even if it's just for the free game you get with club nintendo registration. It's the real deal.
#13 (Edited 442d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Summons75  +   442d ago
App? Oh you mean game, this isn't a cellphone.
deafdani  +   441d ago
The term "killer app" has been around since waaaay before smartphones were even a thing.
Summons75  +   441d ago
I've never in my life heard that except with cellphones. I've heard Killer Game or software but never app and I've been gaming for 25 years
deafdani  +   441d ago
Well, you learn something new every day.

A Beginner’s Guide to Watching DOTA TI5, The World’s Biggest eSports Event

32m ago - GamersNexus: "The time has finally come: Monday is the beginning of the main event for The Intern... | PC

Top Beard Heroes of Video Games

33m ago - GamingSoFar: Beard, which apparently is undergoing a small renaissance. With lush beard parading... | Culture

Top 5 Games To Play - August 2015

Now - Let's see if August can keep the summer video game heat going... Here's Your Top 5 Games To Play In August 2015... | Promoted post

The Glorious Art Behind Hearthstone's The Grand Tournament

33m ago - There are knights on noble steeds; those who would bring them to their knees! | PC

eSports – The Global Sensation

33m ago - When you think of high profile titles such as Call of Duty and Dota 2, you can’t hide from the fa... | Industry

A Testament to Emergent Narrative: How Failing Made me Love Darkest Dungeon

52m ago - OnlySP: So I'm going to tell you a story. A story about a game. A game you should buy. It's not a... | PC