Submitted by Abriael 548d ago | news

Naughty Dog's Arne Meyer on The Last of Us Remastered's Cutscenes and 30 FPS vs 60 FPS Dilemma

The reveal of The Last of Us Remastered for PS4 solved some mysteries, but of course it also created more questions. One of those questions is how Naughty Dog will handle cutscenes and frame rate, and Naughty Dog Community Strategist Arne Meyer shared more information and insight. (Arne Meyer, PS4, The Last Of Us Remastered)

Xsilver  +   548d ago
"I, for one, am looking forward to seeing our final result with TLOU PS4."

So Am I.
Abriael  +   548d ago
So is everyone. Or almost.
Hellsvacancy  +   548d ago
Disagree(10) losers(10)

I for one am looking forward to it
#1.1.1 (Edited 548d ago ) | Agree(41) | Disagree(21) | Report
sic_chops  +   548d ago
Ignore the disagrees. It's just people who aren't used to playing game of the year caliber games. Their loss, moving on.
Why o why  +   548d ago
Er sic, may I correct you....game of the gen caliber.
#1.1.3 (Edited 548d ago ) | Agree(34) | Disagree(7) | Report
AlexDrepaul254   548d ago | Spam
AliTheSnake1  +   548d ago
Considering Uncharted 4 will most likely be 30 fps to push the graphics. I would like this to be 30fps so we won't get spoiled by how smooth it is. TLOU is a slow paced game anyway, it doesn't need 60fps, bring the frames to 30 and push the graphics.
Blaze929  +   548d ago

"Give me 60fps or give me death." the irony in Shahid's statement now adays is pretty funny. Is he still alive?
#1.2 (Edited 548d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(29) | Report | Reply
randomass171  +   548d ago
I am as well. No doubt they will up the frame rate and anti-aliasing. I made a comment about this before but I think I'll bring it up again since its relevant; wouldn't it be cool if they had a 24FPS mode so it looks just like a CGI movie? I mean just for the single player. I think that would be really cool if they did something like that, especially since TLOU is so cinematic.
RedDeadLB  +   548d ago
That would mean the controls will be absolute and utter crap. Have you tried actually playing something in 24fps?
esemce  +   548d ago
All this lets keeps games at 30fps for the cinematic effect is utter bollocks.

Films are fine running at 24fps as you do not have to control the scene in real time.

Anything below 30fps in games we see as judder, all games benfit from being 60fps not just fast paced shooters etc.

TLoU's cinematics will still be 30fps. Just look at the PC version of dark souls 2 and you will see how 60fps improves the animation fluidity and control of your avatar.
rezzah  +   547d ago
I rather see a new game be in production. This means they probably stalled (maybe not entirely but still to some degree) the next game they would have been working on.
Nitrowolf2  +   548d ago
I hope hey can get 60FPS, the Uncharted video at 60FPS still looks awesome, but with better HD Textures and such TLOU will look way better than this http://www.eurogamer.net/ar...
#2 (Edited 548d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
ninsigma  +   548d ago
Man I forgot how smooth uncharted is!
Really looking forward to what they can achieve with tlou on PS4. Then imagine what they'll achieve with uncharted on the ps4 that's built from the ground up for the console!
starchild  +   548d ago
Well, that video was rendered at 60fps, but in-game Uncharted 3 runs at 30fps.

Still, I agree with your overall point. TLOU is going to look amazing on PS4 and Uncharted 4 is going to be incredible.
ninsigma  +   547d ago
Yeah sorry only realised after I posted xD
Even still the actual version as pretty slick too!
gazgriff2k12  +   548d ago
how did that look or play better. to me the animation looked off tlou does not need 60fps. 60fps is good for twitch fps and racing or other fast paced gameplay tlou is slow no need for extra frames
CaptainSellers  +   548d ago
Hey come on don't speak for everyone

For one I would love buttersmooth 60fps :)
starchild  +   548d ago
Every game is better at 60fps in my opinion. Games look better at 60fps because you are getting twice as much visual information and there is far less blur, but it also feels better to control because the latency is reduced and the controller response is therefor much better.
CrossingEden  +   547d ago
Are you serious?! That looked so much better and smoother than the final version of the game which runs at 30fps. And obviously 60fps plays better than 30fps because of zero-minimal input lag. 60fps>30fps.
Rickgrimes95  +   548d ago
Probably trade in watch dogs after I play it to get this. Never got into the multiplayer on ps3 but I would try it again plus traded my ps3 to get ps4 so I never played left behind
UnHoly_One  +   548d ago
You're already planning to trade in a game you haven't even played yet for a re-release of one that you've already played?
NeoTribe  +   548d ago
THATS how good naughty dog games are lol.
randomass171  +   548d ago
In all fairness, Watch Dogs probably won't hold a candle to TLOU. I could be wrong, but I'm betting I'm not. :P
Rickgrimes95  +   548d ago
Yeah that's what I do on a college student budget if the last of us releases 2-3 weeks after watch dogs that's 2-3 weeks to platinum watch dogs bout the same amount of time it took me to platinum assassins creed 4
UnHoly_One  +   547d ago
Just seemed odd to me. I never once have pre-planned to trade in a game that isn't out yet.

But I don't have the Naughty Dog bug like everyone else here, either. I don't think their games are anything special.
Shakengandulf  +   547d ago
"Probably trade in watch dogs after i play it to get this"
esemce  +   548d ago
Once you get the hang of the multiplayer, it becomes so addictive there is nothing like it really, teamwork is a must.

It's tense and awesome, hoping for 60fps and addition DLC.
#3.2 (Edited 548d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
FantasyStar  +   548d ago
If they can render their cutscenes in a higher frames than 30, I'm all for that and that's worth a re-purchase on top of the other work.
Axonometri  +   548d ago
I don't think cutscenes is where your concern for frame rate should be. If they pull off higher fps in game, great. I'm not worried about it, it's Naughty Dog.
Clogmaster  +   548d ago
I don't think cutscenes should ever be in 60fps, only gameplay.

Cutscenes in 30fps is a good parallel to movies being in 24fps.
ziggurcat  +   548d ago
i mentioned this yesterday, and cited how the re-released tomb raider cutscenes were at 60fps, which completely ruins the whole thing for me - so much so that i had to stop playing because it looks like a smoothing filter has been applied.

gameplay at 60fps makes sense. cutscenes are meant to be cinematic, so they don't need to be more than 30fps.
LightofDarkness  +   547d ago
To achieve the same perceived fluidity of motion as 24FPS on film, computer graphics need to be at least 45FPS. This is pretty well known at this stage. 60FPS is still better. The only reason 24FPS is a standard in film is because film was expensive back in the day, and 24FPS was the least amount of frames they could get away with showing before there was noticeable stuttering introduced.
angelsx  +   548d ago
Sorry but what mean render the cutscenes in real time?Any example?
Axonometri  +   548d ago
He means having cutscenes setup scripted in engine and rendered live on the fly like an in game event.
I totally agree, give me pre rendered cutscenes. All live cutscenes are lower caliber and too much can go funk.
Nitrowolf2  +   548d ago
As in it's not just a movie file being played, the game is actually rending the cutscene as you play. Example liek MGS4 cutscenes. If you are wearing mask/outfit it shows up in the cutscene, so it's all being rendered that moment.
Dynasty2021  +   548d ago
Why anyone is "okay" with 30 FPS these days is beyond me.

60 FPS, constant, should be the minimum.

Only indie games so far on console, and MGS, have done a constant 60 FPS, and that's only because they're not demanding.

MGS for example looks amazing...until you get close. It's kind of like RAGE from id software. Amazing detail until you get close, and it's just a blurry mess.

I lost all faith in the future of gaming and humanity when people are ASKING FOR A FRAMERATE LIMIT ON INFAMOUS, locking it at 30 FPS.

You want LESS FPS? LESS!?
#7 (Edited 548d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
Axonometri  +   548d ago
FPS will never have any control over close blurry texturing or low res models. I'm not sure what you mean. fps Is purely how many times the scene is rendered per second to the monitor. Blurred visuals is more of an issue of materials or engine abilities. Low GPS results in choppy perception of video as an end result to the viewer.
angelsx  +   548d ago
Dynasty +1
Salooh  +   548d ago
It's not that we don't want it. We didn't experience it a lot so a lot don't notice the difference so we prefer upgrading graphics over that frame rate in the end of the console cycle. As for now it would be awesome if we got both which the last of us obviously getting it.

Personally, i want wow factor. So if that means lower frame then so be it.
#7.3 (Edited 548d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
starchild  +   548d ago
I lose all hope for humanity when I hear somebody like you who acts like fluctuating irregular framerates aren't a problem.

Give me a solid 60fps over 30fps any day, but if you can't maintain that 60fps most of the time then just cap it at 30fps.

When the framerate is uncapped and the frame intervals are completely random it ruins the immersion for me. Motion becomes juddery and controller response is irregular.

I really like Infamous Second Son and it looks gorgeous, but I am glad they are giving us an option to cap at 30fps. A smooth, even framerate is a very desirable thing. It's the whole reason the G-Sync technology was created by Nvidia. The only thing I hate worse than judder/stutter is screen tearing.

Solid 60fps > solid 30fps > fluctuating framerate under 60fps > fluctuating framerate under 30fps

It's not all about 'average framerates', it's also about minimum and maximum framerates and how steady the framerate is. A framerate that is in sync with the refresh rate of the display produces smooth, consistent motion, while an unlocked framerate results in jerky motion (e.g. hitching, stuttering, judder).
PersonMan  +   548d ago
Couldn't have said it better myself. Tomb Raider sucks because the framerate is too variable for my liking.
Kennytaur  +   548d ago
A stable framerate is generally always better than a fluctuating one. If you're noticing the framerate throughout the game, it's doing it wrong. I personally have no issue with Second Son though.
esemce  +   548d ago
I agree but the frame limiter was because infamous ss could not hit a continual 60fps, so people wanted it locked to awaoid the jerkiness of a fluctuating framerate. Makes sense the more options for us all the better I think.
PersonMan  +   548d ago
Agreed. If they can't lock it to 60fps all the time, lock it to 30 or give us the option to.
StrawberryDiesel420  +   548d ago
Totally agree, anyone that prefers a lower framerate is just dumb, there's nothing more to say. If they don't care why not play the game at 20FPS? 60FPS makes the game play and feel better in terms of controls. For example, I never played Tomb Raider until I picked up the definitive version for PS4 and do you actually think I would be ok with going back to the PS3 version with the lower framerate? Hell No! The game isn't even a locked 60FPS on PS4 and still plays smooth as hell and is ten times better than PS3 guaranteed.
DrJones  +   548d ago
So you are okay with it being below 60fps? Then you are not in agreement with him. He spazzes out if that happens apparently.
#7.7.1 (Edited 548d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
DrJones  +   548d ago
Buy a PC.
ziggurcat  +   548d ago
i honestly think they should just lock it at 30 rather than try to make it to 60.

because i think 1080p at a locked 30fps is much better than 1080p at a variable 30 - 60fps.
gazgriff2k12  +   548d ago
Try telling that to the uneducated 60fps elites that no idea what frame rates are and just believe more is better than less
Back-to-Back  +   548d ago
Clearly this guy has never owned a gaming PC and had the chance to experience 60fps in every game.
StrawberryDiesel420  +   548d ago
You can think whatever you want, You're wrong. Higher framerate is better in every scenario. Would you want to play fallout, bioshock, dark souls etc at 60FPS?? You probably would right?? Only a moron wouldn't, if TLOU isn't running 1080P/60FPS why the fuck would I buy it again??? The game was already beautiful graphically speaking on PS3. Sorry but a simple bump in resolution isn't gonna get my money again, they have to do the Tomb Raider thing and raise both resolution and framerate, otherwise it will still feel last gen.
#8.2 (Edited 548d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
PersonMan  +   548d ago
But that higher framerate means nothing if it's variable. Constant dips into the 30's is not preferable over a constant 60 that never fluctuates. Same thing with 30fps that never goes below or above 30.
DrJones  +   548d ago
So no other reason to buy it than the fps?
#8.2.2 (Edited 548d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Pancit_Canton  +   548d ago
Hopefully Sony will do a $10 program upgrade if you already owned the PS3 version of the game.
randomass171  +   548d ago
Thumbs up! Let's hope so. To be able to trade my copy on in for the PS4 version to make it stupid cheap would be awesome. :)
StrawberryDiesel420  +   548d ago
Highly doubt that, this isn't Call of Duty.
WitWolfy  +   548d ago
I expected a lot more to be honest... Its basically the same game.
turgore  +   548d ago
The lighting in the ps3 version looks better. I hope it is only because of the clouds above.
TheTwelve  +   548d ago
I'm just happy this "dilemma" exists on the PS4. These are the kinds of problems this gen is supposed to have, and boo all the people who say it doesn't matter.
kurochi  +   548d ago
Damn it, now I'm torn. I have the game on PS3 but not the DLC.... Plan on getting the PS4 toward the end of the year with hopefully some kickass deals....
So the dilemma is to get the DLC now on the PS3 or get it in all its glory on the PS4 when I buy that later?
PersonMan  +   548d ago
It's a well known fact that a game running at 30fps can have more details and effects than 60fps because the render time is doubled.

Make the game look better and make it run at 30fps. If the game has to run at 60fps, at least include an option to lock it down to 30fps like Infamous Second Son and Killzone Shadow Fall.

In my opinion, this generation is going to suck if these cinematic games keep coming out at 60fps because then every game is going to look like an arcade shooter.
LKHGFDSA  +   547d ago
there should be enough spare processing room though.
look at PS2 remasters, they're all in 1080p 3D 60FPS due to the PS3 having more power. All PS2 games easily run like that.
you seem to be forgetting this is a remaster.
Skate-AK  +   547d ago
Can't wait. Sounds awesome.
LKHGFDSA  +   547d ago
so 30fps and prerendered cutscenes. this cash-in is a half arsed fail.
Lordofrankness  +   547d ago
here we go, Not even a year into these systems, sony is "re releasing" last gen games. especially TLOU. ummm OVERRATED IMO, i want new games on my ps4, not a game that came out a year ago. makes me worry that sony is becoming a cash cow. releasing a bunch of crap indie games and being a glorfied 3rd party system right now, Otherwise on XBOX ONE, RYSE,DEAD RISING, TITANFALL, KINETIC SPORTS,PLANTS VS ZOMBIES just saying. and our ps4 we have KNACK AND boring KILLZONE :(

Results: LoL Worlds 2015 Group Stage week two, Origen vs LGD

52m ago - Game four of today's League of Legends World Championship matches pitted Origen against LGD Gaming. | PC

First Look: 'Warhammer: End Times Vermintide' (PC) | GeekNifty

1h ago - We took a look at the beta for the upcoming Warhammer game. | PC

Top 5 Movies To See This Month

Now - The month of September has Johnny Depp portraying an enraged criminal, a group of climbers trying to make it home safely, and the return of the sur... | Promoted post

Star Wars Inspired VR Space Shooter CDF Starfighter Gets New Images

1h ago - VRFocus - Earlier in the week VRFocus reported on the announcement of CDF Starfighter from Ghosts... | PC

Hands on Impressions of Just Cause 3 | Middle of Nowhere Gaming

1h ago - Check out Middle of Nowhere Gaming's Executive Editor as he goes hands-on with Just Cause 3 on PC. | PC

Almightree: The Last Dreamer Review | ComboCaster

2h ago - Almightree: The Last Dreamer has a nice concept and much of the game is actually really good. | PC