Submitted by NYC_Gamer 124d ago | news

Xbox Boss: A Halo 2 Remake Would Have to 'Nail' Multiplayer

Speaking to IGN during the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco last week, Microsoft Game Studios boss Phil Spencer described what would be the most important feature to him in a hypothetical Halo 2 Anniversary release for Xbox One. (Game Developers Conference, Halo 2 Anniversary, Phil Spencer, Xbox One)

-Foxtrot  +   124d ago
Thing if though if your going to have online with Halo 2 HD then you have to make it JUST LIKE Halo 2 online back when we didn't have silly gimmicks like load outs, abilities, specializations etc

No point making it like the newer games when you have Halo 5 coming out round the conner.
Gozer  +   124d ago
I agree. I wouldn't want them to change Halo 2s MP. Halo 2 arguably had the best MP of the series.
DawnOfDon  +   124d ago
Exactly just update graphics and fix some problems that it had back in the day and keep the rest the exact same
tokugawa  +   124d ago
chuck it on azure with the same set-up as titanfall "choose a datacentre" and i will be all over it day 1
Gozer  +   124d ago
@tokugawa
Hell yeah!!!Halo 2+dedicated servers would be sweet. Halo 2 on Xbox suffered because of P2P servers. Glad I have an X1+Live, cant beat those deddies.
darthv72  +   124d ago
halo 2 anniversary edition for 360 please. then they can make a halo 3 anniversary edition for the xb1.

Make it have the same visual style of CE:AE that lets you switch back and forth but keep the solid MP of the original H2.
Shinymasonite  +   124d ago
If they added forge mode, I wouldn't complain though.
Means more options.
OpieWinston  +   123d ago
Chances are Darth they'll release Halo 2 Anniversary for X1..But maybe for 360 as well...Just makes more sense for X1 since they promised everyone that the "Halo Journey begins 2014" and Halo 2 Anniversary would hit this year and then Halo 5 next year.

Also helps them ship lots of X1s.

Halo is what sold Xbox

Halo 2 is the best Halo MP in the franchise

People would shell out 499 for that experience again...Dedicated Servers + LAN Parties.

GG X1 wins back NA in a heart beat. Not even joking, I loved the times when I'd invite some friends over with Xboxs and hook up Halo CE or 2 and have tournaments. Phil Spencer understands that Halo CE Anniversary was rushed and 2 wouldn't suffer the same problem.
BakPAin  +   123d ago
@tokugawa,

Theres no doubt in my mind that Halo 2 will be on Azure!
Shadonic  +   124d ago
I still have nightmares of the Halo 4 population decline due to the MP . It was like the remaining fans started to act like the the townspeople in Majora's mask, saying everything's alright even though it was breaking down right in front of us
xDHAV0K24x  +   123d ago
COD took the population too
Dannyh  +   123d ago
I loved the halo 4 single player but not the mp
Evilsnuggle  +   124d ago
This is the world worst kept secret. Phil Spencer I'm not saying that there's a halo 2 HD but if it was;-);-) ;-)
#1.3 (Edited 124d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
OpieWinston  +   123d ago
I ain't complaining...Obviously they know that generating some hype for the game is crucial to getting people pumped and ready for E3 when they blow us away with updated textures and an untouched MP experience.
Allsystemgamer  +   124d ago
I'm reluctant to buy a one but if this released THE SAME as halo 2 with updated graphics then I would buy a one.

Not redone. Just a new coat of paint and fully optimized. The gameplay was already near perfect.

On that note if they added the additional content they added to halo 2 PC (rocket hog, 15 extra maps, map editor) then I'd preorder it and buy a one right now.
ArtificiallyYours  +   124d ago
well, then let's just hope the game-breaking exploits won't be used over and over again by illicit modders.
#1.5 (Edited 124d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
T2  +   123d ago
This. Why would you change Halo 2 mp???!!
RAAMzilla  +   123d ago
I agree.

Example: I'm a huge fan of the Gears of War series and occasionally tout the first one as the best for MP. Quite a number of 'HD Gears of War Anniversary remake' ideas have popped up both on the official forums and the internet alike, but have never really had My backing.

Point: After making so many more entries in a series, You can't really trust a development team not to add stupid, unneeded garbage in a remake.
#1.7 (Edited 123d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
DeathOfTheFanBoy  +   123d ago
I think it's definatley coming and I also think it will be a 360 exclusive, they will probably bundle the original trilogy down the line (halo3's 10 year anniversary) for xb1.

And yes it should be kept the way people remember it imo.

Also the reason I say 360 exclusive is because it's been confirmed several times Halo 5 is coming to xb1 this year, so I don't think it makes sense to release 2 halo games side by side on the same platform... unless they plan on giving it away with the Halo 5 ultra meg amazing awesome give me all your money edition.
#1.8 (Edited 123d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TheDarpaChief  +   124d ago
Seems plausible enough. It would be a good game to add to xbones library
anesthesique  +   124d ago
I don't think the Halo 2 remake will have multiplayer at all, co-op campaign at most. Lets not forget Halo 5 is coming out in a year and half tops. Too expensive and would require much effort to remake H2s MP for just one year lifespan.
mhunterjr  +   124d ago
When the head guy says a halo 2 remake would 'need to nail multiplayer' how can you come to the conclusion that their would be no multiplayer at all?
#3.1 (Edited 124d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
anesthesique  +   123d ago
Frankly? Because I don't really trust what the "head" guys say.

In my opinion if 343 wants to make a big flashy entrance to next gen, its gonna be with what new they can bring to the table and franchise, introduce next gen to the multiplayer, not remake a good old one. Their chips are on next gen, there is no doubt about that.

"If there were something called Halo 2 Anniversary," he concluded, "I think the multiplayer would have to be fantastic."

Plus, seems to me he is just speculating here. Could be talking simply about co-op as he talks about Halo Anniversary multuplayer but there was none, just co-op.
mhunterjr  +   123d ago
Wait a second. Halo2's campaign was generally hated, and the multiplayer was generally loved. But you think it's more likely that the xbox head was teasing a multiplayer mode, knowing all along that when it releases it will only feature a campaign that no one liked. I really don't see the logic.

343 doesn't develop these anniversary games, so there's no way bring halo2 mp to xb1 would get in their way. If anything, it would get people more excited for the eventual releases of Halo5.

PS Spencer doesn't have to 'speculate' ... He knows exactly what's being developed.

@jdaboss I remember vividly why people hated the halo2 campaign. In addition to the cliff hanger, people hated playing as the arbiter, we're let down by the absence of the E3 demo level, and still had repetitive level designs... I didn't mind the campaign, but it's pretty sill to think that a halo2 anniversary game would be campaign only, given its reception.
#3.2 (Edited 123d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
jdaboss  +   123d ago
erm.. people "hated" Halo 2 because it was such a bad cliff hanger that left everyone pretty much hanging for another 5 years.
Dannyh  +   123d ago
Most people just hated the way Halo 2 ended
Alsybub  +   123d ago
The campaign was far too linear compared to Halo. It certainly didn't grip me the way that the first game did and that was the general consensus at the time.

The amazing multiplayer more than made up for it.

I would love to see Halo 2 multiplayer with Azure, the return of some of the Halo maps and perhaps some maps expanded with 32 player.
Summons75  +   124d ago
Yeah basically but I would bet a lot of people who complain and cry because of the lack of loadouts.

A lot of good memories with the Halo 2 online, I don't think they would be able to ever recreate it without some influence from modern gaming. A remake of all the maps (DLC maps included) would be absolutely amazing, super jumps and ways out of the map included.
WeAreLegion  +   124d ago
Step 1: Make it prettier

Step 2: Stop

It's pretty simple, really...
alexkoepp  +   124d ago
Agreed, the old/updated graphics with the h:CE anniversary edition was awesome, just do that again, and include multiplayer this time around.
anesthesique  +   124d ago
Couldn't agree more! Altough I have to say I'm not a huge fan of remakes. Can't see the point in making them since the original was/is a good game as it was/is.
lets_go_gunners  +   124d ago
Agreed 1080p 60fps DONE!!! No more than that is needed.
mhunterjr  +   124d ago
IMO, the ONLY flaw with halo2 multiplayer was the fact that it was P2P. The ranking system, the maps, the (lack of) loadouts, the weapons balancing, the matchmaking, it was perfection... For the life of me I don't understand why Bungie/343 saw fit to change the formula.

Give me halo2, with updated graphics, at 60fps, and dedicated servers and my productivity at work will me just like it was back in 9th grade when it came out...
xDHAV0K24x  +   123d ago
because they wanted the casuals to enjoy Halo as well. Look what it did for COD. I love that every Halo has been different. No one can complain that the MP has been copy and paste after all these years
mhunterjr  +   123d ago
Halo was already fun for casuals. There was public matches to go along with ranked matches. They could have implemented the xp system, and still hav the true skill system running in the background. They didn't have to complete abandon the core in order to attract more casuals.
Munnkyman  +   124d ago
Well they should have nailed the halo 1 remake muitiplayer and they couldn't even do that.
adamj004  +   123d ago
Um Halo 1 never had online MP, I really don't know why people were expecting Halo CEA to have it.
Munnkyman  +   123d ago
I am a huge halo 1 fan. It was big for lan parties since you could do 8 on 8 and a lot of people did it. Bungie even had a site set up just for people to meet up and have tournaments. Also people would play online with tunnel services that gamespy offered. So thats why people expected it, instead they got just halo reach muitiplayer.
adamj004  +   123d ago
A lot of people were expecting Halo CEA to actually have it's own online MP. But yeah they could have put in lan and/or split screen MP. But from what I've seen from people commenting on the MP, majority of them were expecting actual online MP.

I thought that's what you meant, sorry.
starscream420  +   124d ago
I would be very very happy to see halo2 redone with the power of xbox one and azure!
Yama  +   123d ago
So glad to hear this as I could see a campaign only effort with a Halo 5 beta or something of the sort. Multiplayer is what made the game what it was, without it there's no reason to bother.
christocolus  +   123d ago
So halo2 anniversary could ship with beta codes to halo5 multiplayer.....nice strategy.
xDHAV0K24x  +   123d ago
they should ship beta codes for all their exclusives
iNFAMOUZ1  +   123d ago
Please I cant stress this enough as a vet to halo 2 back in the days, dont mess with the mechanics, like the first guy said just dont add armor abilities, loadouts or anything just guns, grenades and vehicles, better textures, that's it, a game like halo 2 didnt need innovation, or competition, it was just fun...

If microsoft announces it at e3 without gimmicks I just can't explain..lol
I would finally remember who I am

I also think halo doesn't need 60fps, thats twitch territory, this is great 30fps imo, cinematic style, but just halo lol
#10 (Edited 123d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Alsybub  +   123d ago
Yes, build on it but don't try to re-invent it.

Like I was saying above, I would love to see expanded maps (added areas etc.) with a higher player count, with the mechanics unchanged. That certainly should be as well as and not a replacement.
MasterD919  +   123d ago
I'm much more interested in Halo 5 at this point. It's foolish to think MS will put stock into the Halo 2 multiplayer experience while already developing Halo 5.

Halo 1's remake didn't include the multiplayer (because Halo 4 came out shortly after). I imagine the same thing will happen with Halo 5 in development and the potential Halo 2 remake. I think people are kidding themselves if they believe they'll ever release a Halo 2 game with multiplayer.
Alsybub  +   123d ago
It would be pointless to make it then.

That game revolved around multiplayer, unlike its predecessor.

Don't get me wrong, for a lot of people Halo was all about multiplayer but its crowning glory was the campaign and therefore made it worthy of a remake from the perspective.
#11.1 (Edited 123d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Ra3030   123d ago | Trolling | show
SITH  +   123d ago
I rather have a Halo 3 remake. I miss armor lock.
cl1983  +   117d ago
Armor lock was in reach not 3
SITH  +   117d ago
Sure was.

I still miss armor lock.
#13.1.1 (Edited 116d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report

GamesBeat | Modern Combat 5: Blackout reflects the best — and worst — aspects of mobile shooters

9m ago - GamesBeat: The fifth entry in Gameloft’s blockbuster mobile series still thinks it’s a console/PC... | iPhone

What You Need to Know about the GameStop Credit Card Before You Freak Out

55m ago - Twinfinite: "There's been a lot of feelings swirling around the rumored GameStop credit card toda... | Culture

The Last Remnant and More Added to Humble Bundle

1h ago - The Last Remnant, Just Cause, and more Hitman games have been added to the Humble Square Enix bun... | PC

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Spin-Off Novels Coming To U.S.

1h ago - A series of books based on the Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga series is being published i... | Culture

Looking for a great Pokemon Community?

Now - Look no further. Join us at the BulbaGarden Forums, the best community for everything Pokemon | Promoted post

ShopTo Lists Tentative Release Date For Licensed GameCube Controllers

1h ago - UK retailer ShopTo has hit headlines for the second time in two days, first for featuring Hyrule... | GameCube