Submitted by knifefight 137d ago | news

Square Enix Forgets That PS Vita Exists

Square Enix recently began asking Kingdom Hearts fans to fill out this survey about the series (and potential Kingdom Hearts III marketing mostly). It asks the usual questions you’d expect from a marketing survey — some demographic qualifiers, what websites you read, how likely you are to buy certain games, and so on — but one particular page stood out when I took this survey.

On the list of which consoles you own, the PlayStation Vita is not an option.
-PSLS (Kingdom Hearts 3, PS Vita, PS4, Square Enix, Xbox One)

Snookies12  +   137d ago
*ahem* Dissidia on Vita. Do it. They sure as heck know phones exist, as it seems like that's the platform they favor now. Much to the detriment of gaming... -_-

I swear, they went from my favorite company ever to one of my least favorite this generation. There are very few people I even care for in their ranks now, Nomura is the main one. As he's the only one I can trust to make a good game these days. Kingdom Hearts 3 and FF XV are the only things I'm looking forward to by SE. Both of which are being overseen by him.
#1 (Edited 137d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
sephiroth420  +   137d ago
dissidia for ps4, xbone and pc!
Blaze929  +   137d ago
Sony, forgets that the PS Vita Exists.
levian  +   137d ago
Completely agree. Look at the support they gave the PSP. I don't even know the system well and off the top of my head I remember a Kingdom Hearts game, Crisis Core, and Dissidia.

Now, nothing. Before, all the games they made were at the very least good. Now 90% of them are OK at best.

The FF13 trilogy was terrible. I know some people liked it, but it's obvious it is unliked by many.

Hitman Absolution was OK, but it wasn't Hitman.

Tomb Raider was fun until they turned it into a full on shooter rather than an adventure/stealth experience.

Thief was pretty fun at first but gets worse, and is obviously not as good as it had the potential of being.

I am REALLY looking forward to XV and KH3, but my god SE, the steaming piles you've been leaving needs to stop!
SolidGear3  +   137d ago
Deus Ex: HR kicked arse!
MaxwellBuddha  +   137d ago
To be fair, Square Enix didn't develop Tomb Raider, Thief, or Hitman: Absolution; they just published them.
HammadTheBeast  +   137d ago
It's so stupid what they're doing.

They're trying to sell $15 ports of Final Fantasy games on mobile, but not making a new one for platforms which will get sales.
Team_Litt  +   137d ago
What's a PS Vita? /Lol no I kid
mcarsehat  +   137d ago
YOU'RE GONNA GET LITT UP!
DualWielding  +   137d ago
actually lack of Square-Enix Support is one of Vita's main problem, Square was huge on the PSP, Birth By Sleep, Crisis Core, The 3rd B-day and several more..... on the Vita. I think X/X-2 are the first game they are bringing and is no exclusive
Ultr  +   137d ago
Well they brought army of darkness, but I had not the slightest interest in that game.
Capt-FuzzyPants  +   137d ago
Yeah Square Enix made the best games for the PSP. Even the remakes like Tactics were amazing for the PSP. They should make a team dedicated to making new games and bringing old ones to the Vita. I think if sales pick up in Japan they will support it more.
#3.2 (Edited 137d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SolidGear3  +   137d ago
Type 0 :(
#4 (Edited 137d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Ultr  +   137d ago
Yeah I would like to play that on Vita..
Capt-FuzzyPants  +   137d ago
I would like to play it period. And be able to understand it of course.
cluckey07  +   137d ago
Type O is being developed for Vita finally.
Shineon  +   137d ago
The Vita just isn't childish enough. Let's be honest That's why its not selling and on top of that kids mistake it for a 3DS All the time.
DualWielding  +   137d ago
that comment doesn't make any sense
Shineon  +   137d ago
It might not make sense but its true and if you don't believe me Ask your little nephews and cousins about the vita, better yet let them play yours And call it a DS
thehitman  +   137d ago
He is trying to say most people who play handheld games are kids and there arent enough kid games on the Vita that would make a parent buy one. Nor do they know what a vita probably is because all they hear about at their age is probably Nintendo and Pokemon/Mario. I would bet the average age for a 3DS owner is between 8-16. Ofc there are much older people who play the 3DS but its probably a fraction of the real sales. The vita targets an audience that is competing with consoles, which unless Sony got a deal to make pokemon games lol the vita will always be backseat to Nintendo. I think the vita does well though on its own and it has more games then people make it seem.
nope111  +   137d ago
I think he's saying the Vita is A REAL MANLY GAMING MACHINE FOR MANLY MANS (and women), while the 3DS is a LITTLE CHILDRENS TOY FOR LITTLE KIDS.

/obviously joking :)
#5.1.3 (Edited 137d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report
Shineon  +   137d ago
@thehitman#exactly!
DualWielding  +   137d ago
Im pretty sure 3ds average gamer age is not as young as you think the people who care a out pokemon or mario are the people who grew with it kids nowdays dont play handhelds only cell phones
cluckey07  +   137d ago
How can you mistake a Vita for a 3ds? I have never heard someone mistake them.
PSP was childish then? Because that system sold 80 million. The Vita is basically just a far better version of the PSP.
vergilxx3  +   136d ago
It's far mor powerful but not far more better
AaronPS  +   137d ago
I noticed this myself. I made a point of writing about the PS Vita on the survey when I could, hoping for a port of the HD remixes or better yet a new title. Extremely unlikely however. Gotta be hopeful
MegaRay  +   137d ago
What funny is, I didn't notice that LOL
I will buy a vita soon, and I hope square enix keep supporting it after X and X-II.
(PEOPLE BUY THAT IF YOU WANT SQUAREENIX TO DO MORE PSVITA GAMES!)
SolidGear3  +   137d ago
Off topic but how is Soul Sacrifice? I'm finally about to get a Vita and want input on games I'm unfamiliar with. Also, how is X|X-2 in comparison to VIII and XIII?
il-JumperMT  +   137d ago
I would say Toukiden is better then SS.

Also. YS: Memories is best PS Vita game!
souljah45  +   137d ago
Cough..Persona 4..cough
SolidGear3  +   137d ago
I have Persona 3 FES on my PS3 so Persona 4 Golden is a given.
vergilxx3  +   136d ago
haha YS is a joke of a game and Persona 4 is the best game
Ultr  +   137d ago
Game is great but extremely dark. I don't like that, I prefer the neutral atmosphere of MonsterHunter. MHFU is available on vita btw :)
I'm also gonna buy FFX/X2 for Vita!

I would recommend to get ps+ so you can play Gravity Rush! (if you are not gonna get ps+ buy GR!)

And get Persona4Golden.
If you like FF then you will also like P4G.

Thats what I would recommend. Though take your time with the games, as they all need a lot of timw to fully appreciate them. With the shortest beeing Gravity rush
r21  +   137d ago
Soul Sacrifice for quick pace monster hunting action where as toukiden is more like monster hunter. Also get PS+
nope111  +   137d ago
Soul Sacrifice is awesome, it has an amazing story and soundtrack. Toukiden is okay but, Soul Sacrifice>>>> Toukiden.

I also recommend the Vita version of Muramasa and Persona 4.
#8.4 (Edited 137d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
CrimsonAzure  +   137d ago
Soul Sacrifice is something special. It seperates itself far enough from MH to not be considered a "MH Clone", unlike Toukiden.
Fluke_Skywalker  +   137d ago
It's starting to feel like Sony have forgotten too!
tigertron  +   137d ago
Square-Enix needs to not only make an exclusive Final Fantasy for the Vita, but to actually make new IPs for it. It would do them good, particularly in Japan where handhelds are more popular and it would boost Vita sales, thus increasing the amount of Vita owners in the process. It's a win-win.

Still, I'm glad they're releasing X/X-2 for the Vita and I have it pre-ordered.
OMNlPOTENT  +   137d ago
damn dude Birth by Sleep was one of my personal favorite PSP games up there with Crisis Core. They could do wonders with a Kingdom Hearts on the Vita.
KonsoruMasuta  +   137d ago
It's because of sales. Developers are reluctant to support a platform that isn't doing so hoton the market.

If Sony approached them with a deal, then maybe. But as of now, you won't see much exclusive Vita support.
feraldrgn  +   137d ago
The more support the Vita gets, the more chance the Vita will get positive changes, like Memory card prices etc.
As it is, there's no room for them to reduce prices without taking on more loss.

You need support to keep selling a system.
At the moment it's a situation of:

Not enough audience -> won't put game on system -> not enough big games for potential audience -> prices stay the same -> repeat ad nauseam.

It's getting annoying, we NEED a big title on the Vita, that has a wide potential audience, that's exclusive to the Vita, from an already created successful franchise.
#12 (Edited 137d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
MatrixxGT  +   137d ago
I love my vita but I think by years end it will just be my pocket ps4.
Watari321  +   137d ago
I bought PS Vita at launch such a disappointment. But of course I will get down voted for stating facts I was hoping for the PSP 2 instead I got the indiestation portable. Sad thing is that SCEJ snd SCEE ( Tearaway may have been their last one) are the ones supporting it, SCEA hasn't released game since Uncharted lol.
#14 (Edited 137d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
GiantFriendlyCrab  +   137d ago
why 3ds is selling so well? Because of the parents who buy it for their kids. Its a kiddie game console. While vita is more for grown up people, so you have to buy your self
SlapHappyJesus  +   137d ago
The giant catalog of great exclusives and solid support helps.
OtakuDJK1NG  +   137d ago
solid support? It has the most support
SlapHappyJesus  +   137d ago
@Otaku

I was talking in terms of the Vita having very little support.
Geekman  +   137d ago
Said the guy with the childish profile picture.
CrimsonAzure  +   137d ago
Actually you aren't too far off with that. Most of the people I know that own Vitas are teens and adults. Nintendo will always have that kiddie-friendly image to help them sell, parents buying their kid a console will naturally gravitate towards Nintendo. Don't know why everyone is disagreeing with you.
aquaviva71  +   137d ago
Place an exact duplicate of Warhawk. You bunch of NASA scientists. Thinking of what game to place on the PS VITA. The answer is WARHAWK. Not sh!tty Starhawk what a poopy game.
medziarz  +   137d ago
Type-0 on Vita, localized for US. Anyone have an idea why they refuse to do that? (by the way, they've also refused to support the PS3 first half of its gen).
knifefight  +   136d ago
I want that so badly, too.

But apparently Square Enix doesn't own the international rights to the music and the record company is asking for a ton of money.

According to this, Square isn't confident enough in the handheld market to pay the hefty fees of buying the music rights or re-recording new music.
medziarz  +   136d ago
that's a mess :/
gnomefighter3d  +   137d ago
Well we'll see the FF 10 10-2 HD to the Vita soon... if you are into blitz ball : )
DEATHxTHExKIDx  +   137d ago
OOh wow I just noticed Vita wasn't an option. True tho More than half the games I owned on PSP were from Square Enix. it's not just SE tho seems like a lot of devs forgot about the Vita.
#19 (Edited 137d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
ninjahunter  +   137d ago
Oh boy, its not good for the vita to be losing support, thats all that its got going for it.
its a good device, with good games but with the nvidia shield and tegra note 7, you can get equal/better graphics at the same price with a more functional OS.
SpiralTear  +   137d ago
Are you seriously comparing the Vita to the Shield...and saying the Shield is better?
ninjahunter  +   137d ago
The shield is at least equally as powerful at a higher resolution. Im not saying its better, since it does not have as many high quality games, but as a piece of technology it surpasses the vita.
imXify  +   137d ago
I putted "None of the above" in first place and PS4/PS3 in second and third place, I'm sure they'll understand.
STANK08  +   137d ago
Sony forgot the vita exist. Theres little to no support on the platform. And then they do something so stupid as to launch Vita TV. As a Vita launch owner, I have never been so disappointed in my entire life.

Forget Vita TV and this VR crap. Support the Vita Sony!!! Support Vita or bury it.
MaxwellBuddha  +   137d ago
I had one at launch, too. Traded it in after Hot Shots: World Invitational got a PS3 port last year.
vergilxx3  +   136d ago
No wonder SE is not supporting the vita ,as sony is turning it into indie crap of a machine OH PIXELJUNK IS COMMING TO VITA INSTED OF NEW UNCHARTED AND GRAND TURISMO PLEAS BE EXCITED GAMERS !

Tales of Xillia 2 Preview - A Fresh Approach | GodisaGeek

21m ago - James Bowden: "The game deals with alternate timelines, you see, and the role of your character,... | PS3

Front Towards Gamer -- Battlefield 4: Dragon’s Teeth Review (PC)

21m ago - DICE’s fourth bit of Battlefield 4 DLC takes to the city streets opening for great, tight matches... | PC

Review: Crimsonland (New Gamer Nation)

22m ago - With Crimsonland, what you see is what you get. It’s just like every twin stick shooter out there... | PC

Hardcore Gamer Show, Episode 72: Fortune Roofies

22m ago - HG: In this week's episode, Steve, Lee, Geoff, Matt, and Jeremy talk about Vladimir Putin. Alrigh... | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

Logic and Gaming

22m ago - We've all heard the phrase "nit-picking" and it's generally frowned upon. However should can a ce... | Industry