A recent interview with Izumi Kawanishi, head of the Software Platform division of SCEI, shed some new details on the PlayStation 3:
- Using XMB and web browsing won't need the fan. Playing Blu-ray will spin the fan, but the load is still low. The fan spins steadily while gaming.
- The picture/audio quality for video playback is excellent. Though Cell does not presently do much post processing, they are researching it.
- High Definition videos are converted to LPCM and outputted via HDMI.
- No DVD upscaling for the time being. But they are looking at user needs and have a plan for the support.
- The Blu-ray player's response is fast. The interviewer says he believes that the PlayStation 3 is the fastest among Toshiba, Sony, Matsushita HD players/recorders he tested.
- By pressing the triangle button the XMB shows the folder tree structure just like windows explorer.
- It can connect with USB mass-storage devices such as PSP, but not with ones with special transfer methods such as iPod and Walkman. They are currently working on Walkman support.