Submitted by Abriael 200d ago | rumor

PS4 Exclusive “Souls” Game: “Worth the Wait. Where There is Smoke, There is Fire” – Sony Dev

A few days ago Atlus PR Manager John Hardin put a damper on rumors about a "Demon's Souls 2" in development.

Yet things definitely seem to be brewing behind the scenes. (Demon's Souls 2, PS4)

Most likely
Is this rumor true? Rumor votes 132
-Foxtrot  +   200d ago
This is great news, I hope it's another souls game.

The thing what they have to focus on now though is how they are going to make this "Souls" game better then the Dark Souls franchise since Dark Souls is basically what a sequel to Demons Souls would of been like.

How do you top something which has already been done

I suppose they could most likely add a much bigger map, towns, villages, better dungeons, more side quests, lots more weapons, better management of skills (make it so what you specialise in matters)

I mean if you could make it "Elder Scrolls Souls" then it would be amazing. You'd be combining the best things of each game. Suppose you could add a little renovation to homes like in Fable or Skyrims Hearthfire pack.
#1 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(42) | Disagree(20) | Report | Reply
Abriael  +   200d ago
Going back to the very realistic armor style of the first Demon's Souls could be a good beginning since Dark Souls has veered a bit more towards the fantasy-ish.

I know it's a small detail for many, but for me it's a huge differentiating factor.
#1.1 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(47) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
DragonKnight  +   200d ago
Agreed about the armor.

There are more than few differences between Demon's and Dark Souls that can be used for a true sequel to Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls had much tighter combat in my opinion. There wasn't a lot of ways you could cheese someone when fighting like in Dark Souls. At most, there was the Uchi stunlock. Parry was easier, but backstabbing was harder because you didn't have a backstab window the size of Super Smough's backside.

So returning to that tight combat would be awesome.

The magic system was superior in my opinion. What good is a sorcerer that can't cast spells like in Dark Souls? Your sorcerer inevitably has to rely on melee more than magic in Dark Souls, whereas in Demon's Souls there was a good balance due to the MP system.

Faith builds were actually viable, and pretty OP, but they had options. Miracles like God's Wrath were slower to cast than Wrath of the Gods in Dark Souls.

Dark Souls did weapon upgrade paths better but Demon's Souls had better scaling and strength weapons were viable.

The hub-like world may not have been as immersive as in Dark Souls, but the Nexus felt like a true place of rest, and had its own life. Demon's Souls also had more fascinating and unique characters than in Dark Souls.

Old King Doran. 'nuff said.

I loved the World Tendency aspect because it was better than the Gravelord aspect of Dark Souls. Gravelording only works on people who are at NG+ or higher whereas World Tendency has no such restrictions.

There's so much more I can go on about, but suffice it to say they could easily use what was in Demon's Souls to make a true sequel to it.

"Soul of the Mind, key to life's ether..."
isa_scout  +   200d ago
Thanks for all the news today...First Destiny now this, hell yeah.IGN sucks so bad now days that dualshockers is quickly becoming my go to site. Keep up the good work.
cemelc  +   199d ago
My only wish for a new demon/dark souls is to remove the backstab.

Im tired of seeing naked characters running like idiots backstabing, whats even worse is that 9/10 they can lagstab you 10m away.

I want support for pvp is that too much to ask? i want duels of skill, no who backstab who faster.
Oh_Yeah  +   200d ago
Elder scrolls souls.....yes, exactly what I want in an rpg.
MysticStrummer  +   200d ago
Indeed, and the Souls series was the first thing I thought of when I read about how people viewing your PS4 stream can influence your game in various ways.
hasj1990  +   200d ago
Well Sony have that thing, I can't remember what its called, but where Viewers can interact with Streamers of a game.

If this is a type of Demons Soul/Dark Souls type of game, then it would perfect to implement the interaction feature into this game, make the game more difficult, more frightening etc
#1.3 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Blastoise  +   200d ago
Some of those idea's are terrible and would be completely out of place. Towns, villages and home renovation in a Souls game? No.
#1.4 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(28) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
-Foxtrot  +   200d ago
They don't have to be features which the game focuses on, they just have to be toned down to fit the theme of the game.

You should easily be able to make abandoned places safe spots to rest in and store gear. These would require tools you would either buy or find in the game. The more "safe houses" the easier it is to survive in the more harder area, but obviously this would be even harder as the tools and resources wouldn't be easy to find.

Towns and Villages would also have to be included in some form if they added a bigger map.

If your wandering around fighting off demons and monsters in this massive map then your obviously going to come across a place like Boletarian Palace. Hell even run down, ruined towns with shady looking people such as the merchants you find in Demons Souls, it's to be expected. I'm not talking about bright, warm towns in Skyrim where everything is in law and order, that wouldn't fit at all.

It can be done, the problem is your thinking of whats in Elder Scrolls being placed DIRECTLY into a Souls game instead of envisioning those features being done in the STYLE of the Souls franchise so it fits in without sticking out.

Boletarian Palace would obviously have a town before the palace gates, what would that be like. Mostly in ruins but thats what you'd want to see.
#1.4.1 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(12) | Report
Irishguy95  +   200d ago
Lets wait and see what Dark souls 2 brings first, every fan who's played the beta believes it's better than Dark souls so far(including me), and every previewer has the same opinion(those who have played the actual game). They fixed the online for Dark, Demons was way better and the brought that back for Dark Souls 2. Then they changed the potion system and health system alot. I thought the potion system Ester flasks were vastly superior to Demons souls systems, as I simply ended up with a rediculous amount of health regen items.

We have to see about level design too. As both Demons and Dark had amazing level design segments at some points, like Sen castle in Dark Souls and the Prison tower in Demons

It's a bit weird to me atm, everyone seems to be forgetting Dark souls 2 is coming out in a month. And just keep focusing on this next gen game that isn't even announced yet. Souls series are the types of games were more processing power is a just a bonus. It's all about the game design. Although I do hope we dont' have FPS drops again
#1.5 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
No FanS Land  +   200d ago
I hope they don't pull another blighttown in Dark Souls 2.
just like the 5th world in demon's souls.
crazy drops.
iDadio  +   200d ago
Im one of the few that havnt forgot it seems, quite the contrary really as I bought Dark Souls yesterday to play again in preparation (traded old copy in after getting the platinum).

Souls series easily one of my favourite ever, a next gen one would be something to seriously look forward to.
Destrania  +   199d ago
I put hundereds upon hundreds of hours into both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, so no, I haven't forgotten Dark Souls 2 is coming very soon haha. I still wish it was the same director though, which is why I'm curious as to what he's been working on.
cocadaking  +   200d ago
Hopefully the devs won't listen to a word you said...villages, Elder Scrolls Souls ...(shivers)

What Demon's Souls 2, maybe all next gen games need is some ridiculous clever AI. Make the monsters adapt to situations, use different strategies, team up, disarm you and use your weapons against you, etc
#1.6 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
diehardmetallicafan  +   200d ago
I just want to travel back to the nexus! the only thing about dark souls that was lacking was a true resting place.
moujahed  +   200d ago
I agree, not only that but oddly I am started to respect you more and more. Intelligent post. Bigger isn't always better though, they need to sit down and bring something truly innovative.
-Foxtrot  +   200d ago
Thanks.

I only said it because they are things off the top of my head as I don't know what they could do with them obviously going to have to one up Dark Souls.
SirBradders  +   200d ago
They need to make a souls game from the beginning. Let me elaborate both demons and dark tells the story of an aftermath of what once was, so make the first game of that first war/takeover/invasion and then transition into the hero guy trying to revert it back to what once was but delve into the guys story of his original non hollow state and then make it so he lost so much that he is fighting soullessly to bring it all back.

I don't know if most will understand what I'm trying to say but in my head it makes so much sense.

P.S. I'm drunk
#1.8 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Xer0_SiN  +   200d ago
of course atlus put a damper on demon souls 2 rumors. they only stepped in and published it in the west cause sony didnt. now when demons souls 2 get released you know sony is gonna handle the publishing making atlus all sour about the details LOL. can we say broken archstone? praise the sun!
#1.9 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SilentNegotiator  +   200d ago
Zero reason to waste a good exclusive IP like Demon's Souls.
showtimefolks  +   200d ago
at E3

show a new update version build of drive club with fall 2014 or even early 2015 release date. Delay it till 2015 if it needs more time. Give evolution studios enough time to really make something which is excellent and true next gen racing experience

The order 1886, prove an on stage demo

Show bishock for Vita

Show Uncharted

show GG's new IP

and as usual show few 3rd party blockbusters

than to close at the end show 2 games:

Lights off and on screen reads the word Demon's Souls 2. No Details, no release date nothing juts show the name.

and Jack comes back on stage and says goodbye and see you guys next year but says he has one more surprise, ladies and Gentlemen here is Last Guardian for PS4 coming fall 2014

walks off
SegataSanshiro  +   200d ago
Says the guy who writes would of instead of would have
hiredhelp  +   200d ago
Wow the spell masters in force today huh.
hkgamer  +   199d ago
Dark Souls was basically the unofficial sequel. Probably due to bad contracts with making the sequels to demon souls or just a big fuck off to sony.

Now what can Sony do to make Demon Souls 2 without it being a Clone. I know demon souls came out first, but if its going to be made by a different team then it will always be classed as a clone.

I think its not worth making a sequel unless they make it for the vita. Risk it and maybe it can be one of those games that will be part fo the must have lis for the vita.
madpuppy  +   199d ago
For all you Demon's Souls lovers out there, I hope they are right. but, sometimes when there is smoke it is not always fire, sometimes it's mirrors.
bsmith61  +   199d ago
So basically what you are saying is that you want to get rid of everything that makes the Souls franchise unique and turn it into a clone of a mediocre WRPG franchise?
-Foxtrot  +   199d ago
Eh....where the hell did I say get rid of anything

I said expand on it and combine the best of other RPG games.

Combining the best elements from Elder Scrolls and other RPGs in a Demons Souls franchise would be amazing.
Walker  +   200d ago
Wait till E3 :)
ajax17  +   200d ago
The only thing I like better about Demon's Souls is the Nexus. It's so hard to remember where everything connects in Dark Souls. Oh, and I also prefer Demon's Souls' music to Dark Souls'.

On topic- I really hope they make another Demon's Souls. I pre-ordered Dark Souls 2 and I can't wait! I love these games!
#3 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Sithlord-Gamble  +   200d ago
Agreed. The Nexus was sorely missed in Dark Souls imo.
I couldn't finish Dark Souls. I found the open world concept just too overwhelming.
And this is coming from a Demons Souls plat owner.

I will admit that I'm disappointed that I won't be able to play Dark Souls 2; as my PS3 went byebye when I got my PS4.

Here's to hoping for a Souls PS4 game!
bigtrucknd  +   200d ago
I liked listening to and watching the opening of Demon's Souls. The melody was so ominous and set the tone of the game perfectly.
IG-88  +   200d ago
I think that Fire link was a little like the nexus but yeah the nexus was better and I liked the maiden in black too. Dark Souls II does seem like they are going back to a more Demon's Souls hub location and a maiden in black like character so it could be a win win. I can't say that this will be the case 100% because i am trying not to get much info of how the game is going to be so that it will all be new when I play it in 2 weeks but man is it hard some times. I just can't wait for it to come out!
SmokingMonkey  +   200d ago
Demon's Souls on PS+ please.

That's an eight year old game we would enjoy! ;)
#4 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(16) | Report | Reply
RandomDude655  +   200d ago
It was.
BobbytheBuilder  +   200d ago
lol its only 5 years old, but it would indeed be awesome if it was on PS+
ajax17  +   200d ago
It's a 5 year old game and it was already on PS+ last year... at least in North America.
Gamesgbkiller  +   200d ago
On EU too.
Abriael  +   200d ago
Not sure why people would NOT want DS on PS+... unless they're disagreeing with the minor detail on the game's age.
_FantasmA_  +   200d ago
Its already been on Plus.
Back-to-Back  +   199d ago
Stop being cheap and buy the game. You wont regret it.
PSVita  +   199d ago
The did give it away for ps+
Nyromith  +   200d ago
I just hope it's not an online-only free to play game like Deep Down. Keeping my expectations low to avoid another disappointment.
Abriael  +   200d ago
I seriously doubt Sony would make a Deep Down clone considering that they already have Deep Down, no?
MysticStrummer  +   200d ago
That, and I wonder about people who are disappointed by games they can't possibly have played yet.
ajax17  +   200d ago
Intelligent bubble, lol.
imt558  +   200d ago
Well, i didn't know that DemonNite is Sony's employee.
#6 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Abriael  +   200d ago
No one knows WHO he is, but he's very open about that.
SolidHoser  +   200d ago
A Vita souls game would make sony some serious bank and move a lot of units! Here's to hoping for that!
pwnsause_returns  +   200d ago
also, it better not be a port from the original, i want a souls game that takes full advantage of the vita
Swiggins  +   200d ago
If the Soul's series goes portable, I would have to buy a Vita...something I REALLY don't want to do. I'm poor enough as it is, thank you.
Abriael  +   200d ago
It's always been talked about as a PS4 game. Only way it's gonna be portable is remote play.
Back-to-Back  +   199d ago
Zero chance of that. Demons Souls is a AAA title and would lose money being vita only, just like the uncharted game. Keep AAA titles like this on the big boy system(ps4)
pwnsause_returns  +   200d ago
Umbasa.
eraisu  +   200d ago
aaaargh finally, true sequel of soul, not like that multiplat garbage, if you ever played demon soul before....yeah is worth to wait
Inception  +   200d ago
Hah! just my prediction that Sony keep Demon's Souls 2 or whatever the title they use really tight on their chest. They don't want this game leak to soon and got shadowed by 1st party titles such as infamous, driveclub, uncharted, or any 3rd party titles (exclusive or non exclusive). Oh well, take your time Sony :)
air1  +   200d ago
I hope this turns out true
kingduqc   200d ago | Bad language | show
tulholdren  +   200d ago
Sweet hope its Demons Souls 2 been waiting on that Sony exclusive to come to light. Now i can get the real next part in the Demon Soul saga.
TheSaint  +   200d ago
F yes!
ziggurcat  +   200d ago
Please let this be true.
LKHGFDSA  +   200d ago
Overload!
We already have Dark Souls 2 coming out and Deep Down which looks the same as Demon Souls.
AC2020x  +   200d ago
Can't wait to see what the future holds for Ps4! Still unsure of what I think about Deep Down!
TheRedButterfly  +   200d ago
Souls without FromSoft ≠ Souls
TheSaint  +   200d ago
As if the X1 needed a tougher sell.

Now Sony may have sealed Demons as an exclusive, be interesting to see how MS counter this.
Sly-Lupin  +   200d ago
BREAKING NEWS!

A GAME DEVELOPER IS DEVELOPING A GAME!

So, clearly, this MUST be a new Souls game. There's no other possible explanation. /stupid
Abriael  +   200d ago
BREAKING NEWS!

You obviously didn't read (or didn't understand) a word of the article.
#19.1 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Sly-Lupin  +   200d ago
I read the quoted bits from legitimate sources, and ignored all of the speculative bullshit.

Bullshit that you probably wrote. You DO realize people can see the usernames of whoever submits BS articles, right?
Abriael  +   200d ago
Sure, I wrote it. Everyone knows that around here since I've been around for several years. Unfortunately you're not as clever as you think you are :D

You just seem mad for some reason. Luckily you're in the vast minority. Also, just as luckily, you don't decide what sources are legitimate and what sources aren't.
#19.1.2 (Edited 200d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report
BlakHavoc  +   200d ago
I heard this game is ridiculously hard, in fact so hard that it eventually makes you chaotic and drives you insane lol. I'm tempted to pick it up, but not if i'll be throwing my controller across the room, and I never throw temper tantrums while playing games.
fractured74  +   199d ago
When the ps4 gets a couple more good exclusives I will get one,sp only as I can't pay two yearly fees,I go ps3 late on and had loads of games to play,for me its Xbox online and PS for sp,I have PC for stratagy and mmo
360ICE  +   199d ago
Extremely tired of websites turning every guess or statement by DemonNite and Thuway into news. First of all, we'll hear about the games soon enough, what's the use for all these rumours except the hype? Second of all, are these guys every held responsible when they're wrong? And can they ever be wrong? A lot of what they say are just vague stuff probably not even meant to be published by a site.
Mister_G  +   199d ago
I would love a 'souls game on PS4. Make it happen Sony :)
midget_gem  +   199d ago
To all the people hoping for Demon's Souls 2 on PS4...

'May the heavens gaze favourably upon you - Umbassa' :)
#24 (Edited 199d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
HeartlessGamer  +   199d ago
This will most likely happen
sdplisken  +   199d ago
Praise the Sun!!!!

Demon's Souls 2- massive open world, more enemies, more bosses, more weapons, more punishing, more bloodstains!!!!!!

bring to daddy!
dddooozzz9  +   199d ago
Demon's Souls 2!!!

New Pre-TGS Trailer for The Evil Within

1m ago - Shinji Mikami's return to survival-horror, The Evil Within, gets a new TGS trailer ahead of its O... | Xbox 360

Let's MANGA! Announced for PS Vita

6m ago - During Sony's TGS conference tonight in Tokyo, Let's MANGA! was announced for PS Vita. | PS Vita

Fallout 1 Review

14m ago - Fallout is an open world role-playing video game developed and published by Interplay Entertain... | PC

Fantasy Life (3DS) Review | Nintendo Feed

17m ago - "Fantasy Life might not be your standard RPG, and that's a good thing; Level-5 really have though... | 3DS

Destiny The Game

Now - Explore Mars, Rediscover Venus, Reclaim the moon, Protect Earth. Become Legend. The wait is over! Destiny is now available to play, Pick up your... | Promoted post

Review: Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (DarkZero)

17m ago - Dominic Sheard: "In the space of a year it’s already looking like the PlayStation 4 is the go to... | PS4