Submitted by Abriael 597d ago | news

While it was known that the PS4 version of Final Fantasy XIV: a Realm Reborn would run at 1080p native there has been a bit of back and forth on its frame rate. With Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida changing version a couple times about it. Now at last he explained how it'll work, also drawing a comparison with the PC version. (Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Naoki Yoshida, PS4)

KrisButtar  +   597d ago
Will the PS4 have heat concerns with all games running at 1080p60fps? because I just found that a very odd thing to say unless it applies to all games. Could this be future PS4 concerns incoming.

"1.8 millions of registered accounts" Active accounts is what matters. My family is registered but none of us play anymore.
Abriael  +   597d ago

So no, there are no "concerns."
#1.1 (Edited 597d ago ) | Agree(80) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
kingdom18  +   597d ago
How the heck did he comment 3mins ago and you 8mins? *Never mind. o.O That aside I hope they aren't that full. lol I wasn't able to select my most developed characters from the beta because it was full for a while. I want to activate the service again.
#1.1.1 (Edited 597d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(0) | Report
johndoe11211  +   597d ago
Don't worry, now we're gonna see a ton of butt hurt fanboys use this article and twist the words to make it look like the ps4 has heat issues and can overheat when running games at 60 fps.

Just take a look at this website's comment section for the next couple of days and youtubers like nxtgen720 and the misterxmedia website (or what I like to call herpesville).
Volkama  +   597d ago
Still, it's a bit concerning that he was able to 'achieve' heat issues.

When StarCraft 2 launched it melted a good number of graphics cards. The game wasn't massively intense, it simply had no cap on the frame rate that it rendered it's menus at. A simple oversight like that burned out a lot of GPUs (and was subsequently fixed). Could easily see a self-published indie game doing something similar.

Now I think the PS4 has adequate fail safes to prevent it getting to the point of melting, but still... bit odd that it's something they need to actively consider.
Volkama  +   597d ago
I bought the game off Steam yesterday. Haven't tried it yet, but I hope there are some lower population servers available. Aint nobody likes queues!
JAMurida  +   597d ago

Don't bother man. Just a typical guy who just reads the title and comments. Nothing we all haven't seen before on this site.
johndoe11211  +   597d ago

Again, the issues came when they were trying to go OVER 60fps.
KrisButtar  +   597d ago

"And the servers are still full to the brim. I get queues nearly every night. So your family is irrelevant :D"

That's good news its still going strong

"You may also want to read a bit more carefully. The heat happened OVER 60 fps. Not AT 60 FPS. Which is why games are capped at 60 fps and normally don't go over."

My concern came from it running so close to the line of where it could damage my system and if all games that are 1080p60fps are so close.

Edit: PS4 shuts down when to hot, a feature I forgot about, no more concern.
#1.1.7 (Edited 597d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(7) | Report
yewles1  +   597d ago
"You may also want to read a bit more carefully."

NO!!! If a headline reads "PS4 Port of Final Fantasy XIV Has Unlocked Framerate up to 60 FPS@1080p; Limited Due to Heat Issues", then people are going to assume that the heat issues are due to it reaching 60fps. Improve your headlining here.
RyuCloudStrife  +   596d ago
dude your headline making people think the 60FPS are causing the PS4 to overheat, FIX IT DAMN IT!!!
UncleGermrod  +   596d ago
I'm sure you and your family are pretty irrelevant too...in life
heisenberguk  +   597d ago
If you're THAT concerned buy an xbox
AnteCash  +   597d ago
No need for such drastic measures!
Snookies12  +   597d ago
@AnteCash - I'm not against the X1 at all, but that made me lol...
KrisButtar  +   597d ago
The 360 is the reason I had this concern in the 1st place
kazuma999  +   597d ago
Nah, I dont wanna buy a 500$ paper weight.
MysticStrummer  +   597d ago
"If you're THAT concerned buy an xbox"

Yes. If higher res and frame rate leads to heat issues then XB1 owners should be worry free.
T2  +   597d ago
whoa , whoa, whoa,heisenberguk- buddy... we want the blue stuff you got it? Not green, not white, not pink, but blue!! 99percent pure, best i ever... uh, tasted.
johndoe11211  +   597d ago
Did you even read the article?
il-JumperMT  +   597d ago
Did you real the article? They said the game can run at 1080p and over 60 FPS. If they keep it unlocked there will be heat concerns so they locked it.

That said in Mor Dhona I barely get 10 FPS. Bet I can change to PS4 version over PC permantly.
#1.4 (Edited 597d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Magicite  +   597d ago
in PS4 version u wont see objects which could drastically decrease your frame rate. for example: if an area is very crowded, then players who stand farther from you, will become invisible.
kazuma999  +   597d ago
Wtf 10 FPS? o.O my Pc can run 120 FPS easy lol.
Sarcasm  +   597d ago
Did you read the article?

It says it has heats issues running *above* 60fps. It's no different than a GPU running without v-sync and running at 100% GPU usage.
Kamikaze135  +   597d ago
FFXIV is an MMO. It uses up a lot more resources than other kinds of games. So no.
kopicha  +   596d ago
you clearly didn't fully read the whole article. Or simply read selectively.
RyuCloudStrife  +   596d ago
don't worry dude the PS4 will not over heat @60fps the heat becomes an issue AFTER 60 fps, lets say around a solid 65fps for example.

So NO the PS4 will not have a heat issue with all games running at 60fps, the headline of this story is just made like that for hits.

Also if a game can run ABOVE 60fps it is useless, might as well use that power for something else instead of piling on frames per second. Like improve the lighting, add more to the enviroment and textures 'till your frames are balanced at 60fps.
#1.8 (Edited 596d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
nypifisel  +   596d ago
Honestly, that all just sounds strange to me. Why would the PS4 overheat at full load? The chip is of course designed to be able to handle its own power lol.
TomahawkX  +   597d ago
Good thing the PS4 will simply shutdown if it gets too hot just like your laptop pc. No YLOD this time around.
KrisButtar  +   597d ago
I totally forgot about that. I lost a few systems because of heat.

bubble helpful
loopygames  +   597d ago
Microsoft and Sony doesn't allow games/patches release to the public if they don't past QA/Certification(They test for security exploits, hardware issues, and stability). If something is not right, they send it back to the developers.

This is one of the good reasons to own a console. You have two companies looking over the quality of the game. The game developer's QA department and the console manufacture's QA department.

The PS4 also has a device inside that monitors heat and like you said, it will shutdown the console, before it gets really hot.

"Ootori also revealed that the console has an internal sensor that rates the ambient temperature of the air that’s expelled via the exhaust port, affording for moderation of external temperatures."
Sony’s Engineer Director Yasuhiro Ootori
#2.2 (Edited 597d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kopicha  +   596d ago
oh really? i didnt know about that. not like i have experience major heat from the system so far.
RexLex  +   597d ago
Shit that is crazy,.. It is really hard to get it at 1920*1080 (at maximum) at 30 on pc,.. fuck,.. you need 2000 dollar rig.
#3 (Edited 597d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Snookies12  +   597d ago
Not really $2000 dollars, but a really good rig. Over $1000 most likely. I got my rig about 3 years ago at around $1200 and it can run XIV at maxed settings and get some great FPS. Nowadays, my PC could probably be bought for around $700. Which means anything beyond that will be more than enough to run it very well. It's very impressive that the PS4 can do this though, especially for its price point! It's a seriously great achievement. *trophy unlock noise*
#3.1 (Edited 597d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
RexLex  +   597d ago
60 fps,.. Still,.. crazy impressive
#3.1.1 (Edited 597d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(0) | Report
Sci0n  +   596d ago
Well said, I still feel guilty like I stole something from purchasing my launch PS4 at 399. Its just unbelievable that a console with so much promise, great specs and horse power could sell at such a affordable price. I can still hear the roars and cheers from the crowd when Sony announced the price of the PS4, Greatness has arrived!
OsirisBlack  +   597d ago
Yea I have a very nice rig and play this maxed out I generally play well over 1080 but 60fps at 1080 on a console is very impressive. My wife plays on her hd 7790 and she only gets about 30fps in heavy congestion on max so this is very impressive.
T2  +   597d ago
thanks for the real specs guys... I love pc gaming but sick of people on here saying a 200 dollar card would destroy a ps4....
kopicha  +   596d ago

they never lie that a $200 card "may" destroy a PS4. But they forget to factor other stuffs like in CPU, RAM, PSU, MB, and etc etc. So that is definitely way over $400. They only make themselves look stupid saying those things
Sci0n  +   596d ago
Agreed Joe, I appreciate the honest humble PC gamers. There are still some out there. Its the PC elitest who always boast about having the highest specd gaming rigs that get to me because allot of them are lying. League Of Legends is one of the most populated played pc games and it doesn't take much for a pc ro run that game. I am not saying there aren't PC guys out there with really nice gaming rigs but PC elitist speak as if its the norm that every PC owner is gaming on expensive rigs on maxed settings. I have a gaming PC but its not the best I actually have to turn down some of my settings to get it to run to my liking and it cost more then my PS4.
italiangamer  +   597d ago
WOW the ps4 ran FFXIV over 60FPS! To my eyes that's an amazing accomplishment
Volkama  +   597d ago
It's a PS3 game at it's core though, so it'll already be pulling every artistic and design trick in the book to get it performing. This fact is one of the reasons I haven't been that tempted to try it on the PC (the bigger reason being it looks like it treads WoW's footsteps too closely).

MMORPGs are typically quite taxing on the CPU when they get 'busy', so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up in a raid or congested PvP.

It's £9.99 on Steam now so I bought it yesterday, so I'll know first hand if it's pretty or not when I get round to playing it :)
LightofDarkness  +   597d ago
It was a PC game at its core, really. The console ports were apparently an after thought, considering the PC version launched in 2010 and didn't hit the PS3 until late last year.
kopicha  +   596d ago

Not true. PS3 was suppose to get the release back in the days. However the original did really badly which is why they decided not to release it until they "fix" the game. Which apparently they couldnt fix it based on the original game and that they had to rebuild the game ground up which is the current 2.0. In fact the game was build with console in mind. If you have seen the original, it is obvious that the UI is extremely clunky on PC because it was build around for console users. and this is the actual history of the game. I am a legacy player myself
Kayant  +   597d ago
"As expected, the thermal runaway of the PS4 chassis can be scary, so we decided to cap the frame rate to 60 FPS." - This is rather interesting good thing that it only happens over 60FPS which would be not beneficial to most as they don't have the screen see those extra frames. So the game could run over 60FPS then goes all the *it's hardly* a demanding game arguments.
nypifisel  +   596d ago
Again, this makes no sense. The chip should be able to handle its own full load lol. The cooling solution in the PS4 is designed to disperse any heat generated by the hardware without affecting it negatively. This is of course in full load. No one designs a piece of hardware not being able to manage its own performance, only time these machines are prone to failure (unless manufacturing fault is in play) is in extreme environments or potential raise of voltage generating more heat. It's all calculated and tested of course.
nope111  +   597d ago
I'm paranoid when in comes to overheating. I sometimes leave my window open or have a fan blowing during long play sessions/downloads
Agent_hitman  +   597d ago
Still this is the best MMO for PS4 to date.
MasterCornholio  +   597d ago
Dont forget that the new everquest is coming as well. I have a feeling that many MMOs are coming to the PS4.

Didn't Perfect world entertainment state that they want to bring MMOs over to the PS4 as well? I also heard rumors of Aeon coming as well.
younglj01  +   597d ago
After reading the article damn that's crazy.To be able to look almost like the PC version is just amazing.People we haven't even enter the 1st year of the PS4 life-cycle,and we are getting this type of quality so early.Sony have so many 1st party developers I can't wait to see their titles at E3...
XiSasukeUchiha  +   597d ago
MasterCornholio  +   597d ago
Can't wait to play this.
ShinnokDrako  +   597d ago
I'm playing on my PC and... who loves FF, will love this. Forget the XIII crap and dive in the REAL FF. I'm an Arcanist, going to be a Summoner. This game is wonderful and i want to try the beta on PS4 asap =P
killzone619  +   597d ago
The console size is a bottleneck :/
#12 (Edited 597d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
bornsinner  +   597d ago
unlocked fps is a joke, it usually plays worse, look at how bad killzone mp is. i don't think there is a ps4 game that can stay at 1080p locked 60fps unless it looks like a last gen game or an iphone shooter (resogun)
#13 (Edited 597d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
GamingNerd013  +   596d ago
U sure luv trolling don't ya and believe me down the road u will c lots of 1080P at 60fps on ps4 once devs start 2 understand the PS4. And by the way resogon is an amazing game that truly shows the power of the PS4 that an iPhone could never do so yeah stop commenting BS would u thx:)
jars23  +   596d ago
I would't call the inability to go above 60fps as a limitation. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who can distinguish framerates higher than 60fps or even 50fps.
Ulf  +   596d ago
Kinda sounds like BS to me. What does SE care if badly cared for (no breathing room) PS4s overheat while playing their game? Not their problem. I think the reason is more the obvious one -- there's a 60 Hz cap, because that's what all users HDTVs will run at, and 120 Hz, which is a bit less common, just isn't feasible. Why render more than 60 Hz, if you can't display it on some huge number of screens?

Also, by capping and triple buffering, they're probably doing their 60-ish rate a favor as well. They might be worse without the cap, because less time would be left over to absorb the sub-60 frame's workloads. Capping the framerate isn't just for show, or "heat" -- that's bull. There's no way a dev is gonna let the GPU sit idle for "heat" reasons, unless their frame is a *solid* 60, which they state outright it isn't.

You could hit 60 Hz easily by rendering a single, tiny triangle with a single tiny texture. Is that gonna overheat the GPU? No. If games were overheating by running at 60 Hz, they'd overheat running variable 30-to-60 Hz too, because they're doing just as much work, *as fast as possible* -- they're just not ready to display it as often. Is Tomb Raider: DE overheating PS4s? Pretty sure that game is unlocked, and is thus doing work as fast as it can.

This "it gets too hot.. but we could do it' is pure public relations BS.
#15 (Edited 596d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
PersonMan  +   596d ago
I hate unlocked framerates.

Also, I noticed that while playing Killzone Shadow Fall single player with the frame rate unlocked, the fans would spin up pretty hard, but once I capped the frame rate to 30fps, the fans died down and the system seemed to run cooler.

The New PS4 Uncharted Collection Shows How Much The PS3 Evolved

32m ago - Kotaku: "If you asked a bunch of people to list the most influential games of the last console ge... | PS3

Star Wars Battlefront Beta: What We Like and What We Dislike

39m ago - CraveOnline: "The Star Wars Battlefront beta has been made open to everyone playing on PS4, Xbox... | PC

MoreConsole takes on Destiny: The Taken King

Now - MoreConsole's rag-tag band of guardians finally make it to the Oryx's ship...but can they make it out alive? | Promoted post

Analog Stick Radio, Episode 4: Captain Will Smith’s Wife

39m ago - This week, they discuss a very controversial topic: Game Adaptations. Movies into games, games in... | Industry

Batman Arkham Knight PC Fix For Quickfire Gadget Stuttering Issues Discovered

39m ago - GS:" Despite the big patch, Batman Arkham Knight PC still suffers from annoying issues which can... | PC

VGS – The Rise and Demise of Rhythm Gaming

40m ago - The rhythm game genre and the titles that comprised its legacy went particularly unnoticed for al... | PC