Submitted by pakua 68d ago | opinion piece

Top 5 saddest video game deaths of all time

Video games can make us feel a lot of emotions, some fill us with joy and excitement whilst some can make us shed a tear or two. It’s the latter I want to explore today and there’s no end in the amount of worthy candidates for our top 5. Games are a powerful medium and should be heralded for making us feel in such a way. More efforts need to be focused on captivating story lines that can fill us with so much passion towards an individual. Video games are not all about mindless killings and reckless driving, here’s out top 5 saddest gaming deaths that prove just that. (Final Fantasy VII, Gears of War 2, Halo 4, PS3, Red Dead Redemption, Retro, Xbox 360)

Dancinsolo  +   68d ago
No Brothers? That's a damn shame
abzdine  +   67d ago
bad list!!
how can Shawn from Heavy Rain not be in this list? the only time a death in a videogame really felt sad
Nerdmaster  +   67d ago
Did you let Shaun die? You're a bad father!
abzdine  +   67d ago
@Nerdmaster:
i platinumed the game and that makes me a good gamer :)
Picnic  +   67d ago
What about Jason's 'death' though. His father Ethan clearly takes the full impact from the car. Ethan catches his son quite well as far as I recall. There's no way that Jason could have died and yet Ethan not been severely injured at the very least. Unless Ethan crushed his own son!

It took a few minutes later before it was confirmed to me that Ethan had definitely died.
Helium balloon rising is not yet the standard accepted code for 'former owner's spirit has necessarily followed the same path'.
#1.1.3 (Edited 67d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
AntoineDcoolette  +   67d ago
The Boss's death in MGS3 is sad considering details.
Vanfernal  +   68d ago
*Spoiler*

Isara's death in Valkyria Chronicles scarred me for life.
isarai  +   68d ago
NIER?
TLOU?
PeaSFor  +   68d ago
TLOU?

it wasnt sad, she went out like a BOSS, thats not sad but ballsy as fck.(to be honest, we rarely see such strong & ballsy females character in videogames)
#3.1 (Edited 68d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
AusRogo  +   68d ago
He may have been talking about ***SPOILERS***................ ...........Joels daughter? That almost made me tear up!
mewhy32  +   67d ago
I think that one of the sadest deaths is the Wii-U.
Mutant-Spud  +   68d ago
Nier was a sad story altogether, I'm a pretty hard case and even I had a lump in my throat at times.
#3.2 (Edited 68d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
ifistbrowni  +   68d ago
agreed. Sarah's death in TLOU should've made the list. Dom's death in Gears 3 was pretty sad, too (maybe it was more sad for me, i read the books).

But, Sarah's death made me tear up on the first playthrough. It's the most powerful prologue/section of a video game i've ever played.

It's odd b/c i was just on youtube showing my nephew some of the new video games coming out, he saw a picture of Ellie and said, "lets watch that video!" So, i let him watch the prologue section (he's 4, so i couldn't let him watch too much of it)... I teared up again (even after playing through 4 times and witnessing it numerous times, its still sad). Such a powerful scene.
ThatEnglishDude  +   68d ago
Cortana, really?
Jihaad_cpt  +   68d ago
Sorry forgive my ignorance I haven't played Halo but wasn't Cortana a program or some kind of AI?
ThatEnglishDude  +   68d ago
You are correct. Her 'character' isn't really fleshed out and hardly deserves to be hailed as one of the saddest 'deaths' in videogames. Not considering the likely possibility she'll probably return in Halo 5.
dizeestl  +   68d ago
the boss mgs3
youndamie  +   68d ago
Tidus FF X
Also Shujin and Lenne, I shed a tear during that flash back sequence.
#6 (Edited 68d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
None of these in the list are sad. It's based around characters that I didn't really care about it anyway. This list is more of a top 5 deaths that nobody really cares about.
Heisenburger  +   68d ago
Aaaaaannnd speaking of characters we don't care about....

Right on cue.
youndamie  +   68d ago
Lol and btw your name is Donte
ajax17  +   68d ago
Are you kidding me? No Telltale Walking Dead?! Y'all know which one I'm talking about.
#8 (Edited 68d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
PeaSFor  +   68d ago
Ben? i loled.
tommygunzII  +   67d ago
Yea I was upset when Carly died, I left that bitter broken mess on the side of the road with her too :)
DEEBO  +   68d ago
Were is the BOSS! you know the one who showed jack aka naked snake aka big boss how to be a super soilder.

That was one of the most emotional boss fights ever! then you see snake get the medals but deep down he hates everything and everyone in that room for making him kill the one person he loved for his country.
one word powerful!
alejandroelputo  +   68d ago
Nariko from heavenly sword.
elda  +   68d ago
Arieth-FF-VII,Nariko-HS
ThatArtGuy  +   68d ago
Nei from Phantasy Star II.
ShaunCameron  +   68d ago
Cole McGrath in InFAMOUS 2.
Rich1631  +   68d ago
I second the death of Joel's little girl in The Last of Us. The voice acting and the directing in that scene...holy crap, man.
#14 (Edited 68d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Darkfist  +   68d ago
InFAMOUS 2 evil Cole ending
Wni0  +   68d ago
Gears of war has a story?
HumanAfterAll  +   68d ago
The Only one on here that actually got to me was John Marston's.

What about Jenny in The Darkness? God damn did I cr- I MEAN my eyes had something in them!

Seriously though. That was the first game I played on 360 and it messed with me big time.
combatcash  +   68d ago
The big brother in brothers tale of two sons was pretty sad, having to bury him really added to the already sad moment.
FreakdoutKid  +   68d ago
wtf is dis list? wheres MW2 ghost death? all my tears for nothing
MisfitsInc  +   68d ago
she didn't actually die, but Kai from Heavenly Sword choked me up a bit
ferthepoet  +   67d ago
Leo's dead in Final Fantasy VI, because I was a kid and before that I had never played any game featuring an actual dead before...
_FantasmA_  +   67d ago
I'm not reading this list because I don't want any spoilers so I don't know who is on there but the only time I actually cried was when Dom died in Gears. Dom was the man and I feel like he should have been the main character in Gears because he was the only one that felt human. Marcus looked cool, but he was a grunt, and he was expendable.

I'm barely playing through Snake Eater for the first time, but I have a feeling that when I kill the boss, there's going to be alot of emotional moments. I just barely started Operation Snake Eater and seeing as how The Boss can't bring herself to kill Snake and how Snake didn't try to kill her when she took his gun apart for the second time, I can tell I'm in for an emotional journey.

I can't believe I waited this long to play Metal Gear Solid 3! I still haven't even gotten past the 2nd mission in 4 either! And to think MGS is in my top 5 franchises ever because its the probably the only franchise that has a deep (maybe too deep) story. I actually don't mind the cutscenes.
#22 (Edited 67d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Stoppokingme  +   67d ago
Thane from ME3 anyone?

But I'd have to go with Sarah in TLOU, that was heartbreaking.
#23 (Edited 67d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
goldwyncq  +   67d ago
Big Boss in MGS4
MasterofMagnetism  +   67d ago
Oliver's mom from Ni No Kuni was very sad.
curtis92  +   67d ago
Eli Vance.
RockmanII7  +   67d ago
Why are people putting the characters name Before the name of the game in their spoilers? You can't really know what's being spoiled until it's too late.

As for my picks I would say The Walking Dead, Cave Story, Mega Man Zero 4, Halo 3, and The Witches House.
plaZeHD  +   67d ago
This has The Last Of Us written all over it.
Iveyboi  +   67d ago
FF7: Crisis Core....even though you know it's coming
Destrania  +   67d ago
This is a horrible list.

Origin Spring Sale Discounts Epic Titles

20m ago - EA is hosting a sale on their Origin servicing, discounting games such as Titanfall and Battlefie... | PC

Infinity Wars Review - Mouse n Joypad

2h ago - Gale Writes - "I have to admit that I installed Infinity Wars without expecting too much of it. W... | PC

GertLushGaming Presents Our Family Guy: The Quest For Stuff Review

2h ago - After another epic battle with the giant chicken, Peter Griffin has accidentally destroyed Quahog... | iPhone

Treasures of Montezuma: Arena Is Coming To PlayStation Vita

2h ago - Coming as a downloadable free-to-play title featuring three all-new game modes. | PS Vita

Filmwatch April Contests

Now - Calling all Marvel fans. Come celebrate the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier with us as we give away a cool prize for fans of Cap plu... | Promoted post

Why It Could Be Game Over For Video Game Stocks

2h ago - Are video game stocks about to power down? Between a closely watched measure of sales, and a bear... | Culture