Submitted by pakua 198d ago | opinion piece

Top 5 saddest video game deaths of all time

Video games can make us feel a lot of emotions, some fill us with joy and excitement whilst some can make us shed a tear or two. It’s the latter I want to explore today and there’s no end in the amount of worthy candidates for our top 5. Games are a powerful medium and should be heralded for making us feel in such a way. More efforts need to be focused on captivating story lines that can fill us with so much passion towards an individual. Video games are not all about mindless killings and reckless driving, here’s out top 5 saddest gaming deaths that prove just that. (Final Fantasy VII, Gears of War 2, Halo 4, PS3, Red Dead Redemption, Retro, Xbox 360)

Dancinsolo  +   198d ago
No Brothers? That's a damn shame
abzdine  +   198d ago
bad list!!
how can Shawn from Heavy Rain not be in this list? the only time a death in a videogame really felt sad
Nerdmaster  +   198d ago
Did you let Shaun die? You're a bad father!
abzdine  +   198d ago
@Nerdmaster:
i platinumed the game and that makes me a good gamer :)
Picnic  +   198d ago
What about Jason's 'death' though. His father Ethan clearly takes the full impact from the car. Ethan catches his son quite well as far as I recall. There's no way that Jason could have died and yet Ethan not been severely injured at the very least. Unless Ethan crushed his own son!

It took a few minutes later before it was confirmed to me that Ethan had definitely died.
Helium balloon rising is not yet the standard accepted code for 'former owner's spirit has necessarily followed the same path'.
#1.1.3 (Edited 198d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
AntoineDcoolette  +   198d ago
The Boss's death in MGS3 is sad considering details.
Vanfernal  +   198d ago
*Spoiler*

Isara's death in Valkyria Chronicles scarred me for life.
isarai  +   198d ago
NIER?
TLOU?
PeaSFor  +   198d ago
TLOU?

it wasnt sad, she went out like a BOSS, thats not sad but ballsy as fck.(to be honest, we rarely see such strong & ballsy females character in videogames)
#3.1 (Edited 198d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
AusRogo  +   198d ago
He may have been talking about ***SPOILERS***................ ...........Joels daughter? That almost made me tear up!
mewhy32  +   198d ago
I think that one of the sadest deaths is the Wii-U.
Mutant-Spud  +   198d ago
Nier was a sad story altogether, I'm a pretty hard case and even I had a lump in my throat at times.
#3.2 (Edited 198d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
ifistbrowni  +   198d ago
agreed. Sarah's death in TLOU should've made the list. Dom's death in Gears 3 was pretty sad, too (maybe it was more sad for me, i read the books).

But, Sarah's death made me tear up on the first playthrough. It's the most powerful prologue/section of a video game i've ever played.

It's odd b/c i was just on youtube showing my nephew some of the new video games coming out, he saw a picture of Ellie and said, "lets watch that video!" So, i let him watch the prologue section (he's 4, so i couldn't let him watch too much of it)... I teared up again (even after playing through 4 times and witnessing it numerous times, its still sad). Such a powerful scene.
ThatEnglishDude  +   198d ago
Cortana, really?
Jihaad_cpt  +   198d ago
Sorry forgive my ignorance I haven't played Halo but wasn't Cortana a program or some kind of AI?
ThatEnglishDude  +   198d ago
You are correct. Her 'character' isn't really fleshed out and hardly deserves to be hailed as one of the saddest 'deaths' in videogames. Not considering the likely possibility she'll probably return in Halo 5.
dizeestl  +   198d ago
the boss mgs3
youndamie  +   198d ago
Tidus FF X
Also Shujin and Lenne, I shed a tear during that flash back sequence.
#6 (Edited 198d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
None of these in the list are sad. It's based around characters that I didn't really care about it anyway. This list is more of a top 5 deaths that nobody really cares about.
Heisenburger  +   198d ago
Aaaaaannnd speaking of characters we don't care about....

Right on cue.
youndamie  +   198d ago
Lol and btw your name is Donte
ajax17  +   198d ago
Are you kidding me? No Telltale Walking Dead?! Y'all know which one I'm talking about.
#8 (Edited 198d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
PeaSFor  +   198d ago
Ben? i loled.
tommygunzII  +   197d ago
Yea I was upset when Carly died, I left that bitter broken mess on the side of the road with her too :)
DEEBO  +   198d ago
Were is the BOSS! you know the one who showed jack aka naked snake aka big boss how to be a super soilder.

That was one of the most emotional boss fights ever! then you see snake get the medals but deep down he hates everything and everyone in that room for making him kill the one person he loved for his country.
one word powerful!
alejandroelputo  +   198d ago
Nariko from heavenly sword.
elda  +   198d ago
Arieth-FF-VII,Nariko-HS
ThatArtGuy  +   198d ago
Nei from Phantasy Star II.
ShaunCameron  +   198d ago
Cole McGrath in InFAMOUS 2.
Rich1631  +   198d ago
I second the death of Joel's little girl in The Last of Us. The voice acting and the directing in that scene...holy crap, man.
#14 (Edited 198d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Darkfist  +   198d ago
InFAMOUS 2 evil Cole ending
Wni0  +   198d ago
Gears of war has a story?
HumanAfterAll  +   198d ago
The Only one on here that actually got to me was John Marston's.

What about Jenny in The Darkness? God damn did I cr- I MEAN my eyes had something in them!

Seriously though. That was the first game I played on 360 and it messed with me big time.
combatcash  +   198d ago
The big brother in brothers tale of two sons was pretty sad, having to bury him really added to the already sad moment.
FreakdoutKid  +   198d ago
wtf is dis list? wheres MW2 ghost death? all my tears for nothing
MisfitsInc  +   198d ago
she didn't actually die, but Kai from Heavenly Sword choked me up a bit
DualWielding  +   198d ago
Leo's dead in Final Fantasy VI, because I was a kid and before that I had never played any game featuring an actual dead before...
_FantasmA_  +   198d ago
I'm not reading this list because I don't want any spoilers so I don't know who is on there but the only time I actually cried was when Dom died in Gears. Dom was the man and I feel like he should have been the main character in Gears because he was the only one that felt human. Marcus looked cool, but he was a grunt, and he was expendable.

I'm barely playing through Snake Eater for the first time, but I have a feeling that when I kill the boss, there's going to be alot of emotional moments. I just barely started Operation Snake Eater and seeing as how The Boss can't bring herself to kill Snake and how Snake didn't try to kill her when she took his gun apart for the second time, I can tell I'm in for an emotional journey.

I can't believe I waited this long to play Metal Gear Solid 3! I still haven't even gotten past the 2nd mission in 4 either! And to think MGS is in my top 5 franchises ever because its the probably the only franchise that has a deep (maybe too deep) story. I actually don't mind the cutscenes.
#22 (Edited 198d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Stoppokingme  +   198d ago
Thane from ME3 anyone?

But I'd have to go with Sarah in TLOU, that was heartbreaking.
#23 (Edited 198d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
goldwyncq  +   198d ago
Big Boss in MGS4
MasterofMagnetism  +   198d ago
Oliver's mom from Ni No Kuni was very sad.
curtis92  +   198d ago
Eli Vance.
RockmanII7  +   198d ago
Why are people putting the characters name Before the name of the game in their spoilers? You can't really know what's being spoiled until it's too late.

As for my picks I would say The Walking Dead, Cave Story, Mega Man Zero 4, Halo 3, and The Witches House.
plaZeHD  +   198d ago
This has The Last Of Us written all over it.
Iveyboi  +   198d ago
FF7: Crisis Core....even though you know it's coming
Destrania  +   197d ago
This is a horrible list.

Lifeless Guide To Factions

12m ago - Much of humanity has been wiped out but the constant warring between different ideals is still pr... | PC

Margaret Featured in Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax Screens

13m ago - Battling as the Empress Arcana, Margaret will be available to players the week following P4AU’s r... | Xbox 360

Gundam Breaker 2 Will Have Over 100 Gunpla Models

13m ago - Gundam Breaker 2 will have over 100 playable Gunpla models to play as. | PS3

3 Ways Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’s Campaign is Resurrecting its Endangered Narratives

17m ago - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is shaping up to breathe life into the single player aspect of the... | PC

The Walking Dead Meets Spider-Man

Now - Come join us on Filmwatch this month as we give you a chance to win the Electro Collector's Edition of Amazing Spider-Man 2 or the Limited Edition... | Promoted post

Theathrythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call New DLC Now Available In Japan

26m ago - A new round of DLC is now available in Japan for Theathrythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call, introdu... | 3DS