Submitted by pakua 168d ago | opinion piece

Top 5 saddest video game deaths of all time

Video games can make us feel a lot of emotions, some fill us with joy and excitement whilst some can make us shed a tear or two. It’s the latter I want to explore today and there’s no end in the amount of worthy candidates for our top 5. Games are a powerful medium and should be heralded for making us feel in such a way. More efforts need to be focused on captivating story lines that can fill us with so much passion towards an individual. Video games are not all about mindless killings and reckless driving, here’s out top 5 saddest gaming deaths that prove just that. (Final Fantasy VII, Gears of War 2, Halo 4, PS3, Red Dead Redemption, Retro, Xbox 360)

Dancinsolo  +   168d ago
No Brothers? That's a damn shame
abzdine  +   168d ago
bad list!!
how can Shawn from Heavy Rain not be in this list? the only time a death in a videogame really felt sad
Nerdmaster  +   168d ago
Did you let Shaun die? You're a bad father!
abzdine  +   168d ago
@Nerdmaster:
i platinumed the game and that makes me a good gamer :)
Picnic  +   168d ago
What about Jason's 'death' though. His father Ethan clearly takes the full impact from the car. Ethan catches his son quite well as far as I recall. There's no way that Jason could have died and yet Ethan not been severely injured at the very least. Unless Ethan crushed his own son!

It took a few minutes later before it was confirmed to me that Ethan had definitely died.
Helium balloon rising is not yet the standard accepted code for 'former owner's spirit has necessarily followed the same path'.
#1.1.3 (Edited 168d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
AntoineDcoolette  +   167d ago
The Boss's death in MGS3 is sad considering details.
Vanfernal  +   168d ago
*Spoiler*

Isara's death in Valkyria Chronicles scarred me for life.
isarai  +   168d ago
NIER?
TLOU?
PeaSFor  +   168d ago
TLOU?

it wasnt sad, she went out like a BOSS, thats not sad but ballsy as fck.(to be honest, we rarely see such strong & ballsy females character in videogames)
#3.1 (Edited 168d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
AusRogo  +   168d ago
He may have been talking about ***SPOILERS***................ ...........Joels daughter? That almost made me tear up!
mewhy32  +   168d ago
I think that one of the sadest deaths is the Wii-U.
Mutant-Spud  +   168d ago
Nier was a sad story altogether, I'm a pretty hard case and even I had a lump in my throat at times.
#3.2 (Edited 168d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
ifistbrowni  +   168d ago
agreed. Sarah's death in TLOU should've made the list. Dom's death in Gears 3 was pretty sad, too (maybe it was more sad for me, i read the books).

But, Sarah's death made me tear up on the first playthrough. It's the most powerful prologue/section of a video game i've ever played.

It's odd b/c i was just on youtube showing my nephew some of the new video games coming out, he saw a picture of Ellie and said, "lets watch that video!" So, i let him watch the prologue section (he's 4, so i couldn't let him watch too much of it)... I teared up again (even after playing through 4 times and witnessing it numerous times, its still sad). Such a powerful scene.
ThatEnglishDude  +   168d ago
Cortana, really?
Jihaad_cpt  +   168d ago
Sorry forgive my ignorance I haven't played Halo but wasn't Cortana a program or some kind of AI?
ThatEnglishDude  +   168d ago
You are correct. Her 'character' isn't really fleshed out and hardly deserves to be hailed as one of the saddest 'deaths' in videogames. Not considering the likely possibility she'll probably return in Halo 5.
dizeestl  +   168d ago
the boss mgs3
youndamie  +   168d ago
Tidus FF X
Also Shujin and Lenne, I shed a tear during that flash back sequence.
#6 (Edited 168d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
None of these in the list are sad. It's based around characters that I didn't really care about it anyway. This list is more of a top 5 deaths that nobody really cares about.
Heisenburger  +   168d ago
Aaaaaannnd speaking of characters we don't care about....

Right on cue.
youndamie  +   168d ago
Lol and btw your name is Donte
ajax17  +   168d ago
Are you kidding me? No Telltale Walking Dead?! Y'all know which one I'm talking about.
#8 (Edited 168d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
PeaSFor  +   168d ago
Ben? i loled.
tommygunzII  +   167d ago
Yea I was upset when Carly died, I left that bitter broken mess on the side of the road with her too :)
DEEBO  +   168d ago
Were is the BOSS! you know the one who showed jack aka naked snake aka big boss how to be a super soilder.

That was one of the most emotional boss fights ever! then you see snake get the medals but deep down he hates everything and everyone in that room for making him kill the one person he loved for his country.
one word powerful!
alejandroelputo  +   168d ago
Nariko from heavenly sword.
elda  +   168d ago
Arieth-FF-VII,Nariko-HS
ThatArtGuy  +   168d ago
Nei from Phantasy Star II.
ShaunCameron  +   168d ago
Cole McGrath in InFAMOUS 2.
Rich1631  +   168d ago
I second the death of Joel's little girl in The Last of Us. The voice acting and the directing in that scene...holy crap, man.
#14 (Edited 168d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Darkfist  +   168d ago
InFAMOUS 2 evil Cole ending
Wni0  +   168d ago
Gears of war has a story?
HumanAfterAll  +   168d ago
The Only one on here that actually got to me was John Marston's.

What about Jenny in The Darkness? God damn did I cr- I MEAN my eyes had something in them!

Seriously though. That was the first game I played on 360 and it messed with me big time.
combatcash  +   168d ago
The big brother in brothers tale of two sons was pretty sad, having to bury him really added to the already sad moment.
FreakdoutKid  +   168d ago
wtf is dis list? wheres MW2 ghost death? all my tears for nothing
MisfitsInc  +   168d ago
she didn't actually die, but Kai from Heavenly Sword choked me up a bit
DualWielding  +   168d ago
Leo's dead in Final Fantasy VI, because I was a kid and before that I had never played any game featuring an actual dead before...
_FantasmA_  +   168d ago
I'm not reading this list because I don't want any spoilers so I don't know who is on there but the only time I actually cried was when Dom died in Gears. Dom was the man and I feel like he should have been the main character in Gears because he was the only one that felt human. Marcus looked cool, but he was a grunt, and he was expendable.

I'm barely playing through Snake Eater for the first time, but I have a feeling that when I kill the boss, there's going to be alot of emotional moments. I just barely started Operation Snake Eater and seeing as how The Boss can't bring herself to kill Snake and how Snake didn't try to kill her when she took his gun apart for the second time, I can tell I'm in for an emotional journey.

I can't believe I waited this long to play Metal Gear Solid 3! I still haven't even gotten past the 2nd mission in 4 either! And to think MGS is in my top 5 franchises ever because its the probably the only franchise that has a deep (maybe too deep) story. I actually don't mind the cutscenes.
#22 (Edited 168d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Stoppokingme  +   168d ago
Thane from ME3 anyone?

But I'd have to go with Sarah in TLOU, that was heartbreaking.
#23 (Edited 168d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
goldwyncq  +   168d ago
Big Boss in MGS4
MasterofMagnetism  +   168d ago
Oliver's mom from Ni No Kuni was very sad.
curtis92  +   167d ago
Eli Vance.
RockmanII7  +   167d ago
Why are people putting the characters name Before the name of the game in their spoilers? You can't really know what's being spoiled until it's too late.

As for my picks I would say The Walking Dead, Cave Story, Mega Man Zero 4, Halo 3, and The Witches House.
plaZeHD  +   167d ago
This has The Last Of Us written all over it.
Iveyboi  +   167d ago
FF7: Crisis Core....even though you know it's coming
Destrania  +   167d ago
This is a horrible list.

Payday: The Heist Will Be Completely Free For 24 Hours On October 18th

7m ago - One Angry Gamer "Want to own the original game that helped put Overkill Software on the map? Well... | PC

Naruto Storm Revolution: Sakura and Kakashi Screenshots

9m ago - Bandai Namco Games has released screenshots and art from Naruto Storm Revolution. | PC

The Pros and Cons of MMO Permadeath

10m ago - There have been a number of games that feature permadeath, but the number of current games that d... | PC

Japanese Singer GACKT Gets His Ass Kicked By Xevious

10m ago - Japanese rock star GACKT and Nestlé (yes, the food and beverage company) have released another "G... | Arcade

Looking for a great Pokemon Community?

Now - Look no further. Join us at the BulbaGarden Forums, the best community for everything Pokemon | Promoted post

Dark, satanic and dangerous: What we need from the new Doom

10m ago - The original Doom games were much more interesting than their sequels and the games influenced by... | PC