Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by DarkLordMalik 689d ago | video

PlayStation Now Latency Being Tested On God of War: Ascension In This New Video

GearNuke: "God of War: Ascension is one of the games that is being released on PlayStation Now, the upcoming cloud streaming service from Sony. As expected from every cloud streaming service, it adds additional latency to controls." (God of War: Ascension, PlayStation Now, PS Vita, PS3, PS4)

Attached Video
Alternative Sources
Tiqila  +   689d ago
that kills the experience for me
Shadonic  +   689d ago
this isnt even in the beta stages you know that right ?
mikeslemonade  +   689d ago
That's fine these less challenging games I can still finish. I only play normal mode for any game. Afterall that's the way the developers designed the game to be played at by default.
Ravenor  +   689d ago
lol, no.

The service isn't available, but the software is definitely already in Beta. Latency was an issue with Gaikai and OnLive before this, it was always clear I wasn't playing anything natively on my own machine. This will be the exact same, it will be a comparable and perfectly "acceptable" method of playing these games but it won't be the same as popping in the disk.
fanboybeatdown  +   689d ago

Yeah. I had such high hopes for gakai on ps4.
This service was much hyped and I am still sitting on the fence about getting a ps4.

I had been afraid that the graphical quality would be degraded and the lag would be too noticeable - and it appears with good reason..

It seems early users of gakai on ps4 have shown significant lag with games and even graphical fidelity reduction with artifacts - even on a high speed internet connection.

I still have high hopes for this service, though.
Let's hope Sony can pull out some more magic before release.
#1.1.3 (Edited 689d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report
PATRIOT7ME  +   689d ago
Onlive never solved its latency problems either. It's not the fault of the software, it's the fault of the infrastructure.
fanboybeatdown  +   688d ago
@ ^^

"It's not the fault of the software, it's the fault of the infrastructure."

Now what?
Does this absolution of fault make the service provided by Sony better?

What exactly was the purpose of your comment?
ABizzel1  +   689d ago
They need to work on that.
fooltheman  +   689d ago
Yeah, there'll be lag... but nothing that can't be incalculated by the player.
Detoxx  +   689d ago
Believe me you don't want that lag when playing a game like Dark Souls. The game is hard enough, even with 0 lag.
MasterCornholio  +   689d ago
Just think of it as an additional level of difficulty.
SonyNGP  +   689d ago
That's a terrible excuse.
fooltheman  +   689d ago
Yeah, but you're usinga game where timing is essential... for those games it can be indeed a problem.
malokevi  +   689d ago
lol. "another level of difficulty". I can't even play my WiiU through my X1 HDMI pass-through without Mario jumping off a cliff every 5 seconds. Latency like this is a game-breaker. There's no way around it.
Detoxx  +   689d ago
Welcome to N4G where people like to disagree about the obvious (5 disagrees so far)
nevin1  +   689d ago
Wouldn't it get worse when more people are playing the same game?
#3 (Edited 689d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
nypifisel  +   689d ago
Why? lol
nirwanda  +   689d ago
The same Reason psn kept crashing after Christmas too many people logging in on their new ps4s
ginsunuva  +   689d ago
The same game isn't streaming off one computer to multiple people. That's called one person is playing and everyone else is just spectating.
Mister_G  +   689d ago
Just an idea, but to keep latency under control they might adjust resolution dynamically. Lowering it if the 'net slows down.
Detoxx  +   689d ago
You really want to play 1080P-480P-1080-P-720P all the time?
Baka-akaB  +   689d ago
1080p ? those are ps3 games , there are barely any running that natively
The Great Melon  +   689d ago
That would fix a bandwidth issue not latency. Places like Netflix and Amazon implement exactly what you mentioned for variable bandwidths.

The latency issue is difficult to fix. Information has to travel over and through a lot of copper, routers, and fiber before reaching the server at Sony which then has to send back a picture through more wire, routers, and fiber. Bandwidth issues are easier to solve than latency as you can often just get a larger amount from an isp. The same can be said for smaller latency.
#4.2 (Edited 689d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
The Great Melon  +   689d ago
Lost a "'t" in the last sentence. Getting better latency isn't as simple as upgrading your bandwidth at your ISP. You effectively have to find another route to Sony which either means switching to another ISP or changing routing mechanisms such as going from DSL to something like T1.

Also, looking at from a physics point of view there is a fundamental limit at how fast information can travel. If the server is in New York and the user is in Los Angeles, it takes light (fastest thing there is) about 13 ms to go from the user to the server. Afterward the server needs to send the signal (image) to the user, so round trip in that contrived example is something like 30 ms.
#4.2.1 (Edited 689d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
_LarZen_  +   689d ago
The latency is either going to break or make this service. Going to be interesting to see how they solve that in the months ahead.
Crazyglues  +   689d ago
Yeah this is a make or break thing, if it has lag it's done - you have to get it down to no lag..

I used it for months and months and never had lag it was an amazing service, so either you get this down to no lag, or people will just play on there PS3..

Why in the world would I want to play the game with lag.. why would I want to pay for a lag service..

No it's a deal breaker, it has to have no-lag..

Sony has to fix this... If Onlive can do it, then they can get it down to no-lag - I'm sure Sony can get it to that level, they have to, for it to be a good service.

||.........___||............ ||
#5.1 (Edited 689d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
sgtGanGreen  +   689d ago
lol OnLive have huge LAG.
You play over internet. What do you expect?
Minimum ping for controls to response is 120ms in ideal conditions
Tapewurm  +   689d ago
@Crazyglues I think you summed it up well when you you said:

"I used Onlive, another streaming service the one I wish they bought, and they had no lag for someone with a good connection."

I truly feel that it will depend on the person's internet service and how fast/dependable the connection is that determines how well this service will work. People with cheap subscriptions to low end DSL and Cable will have issues more so than those with the faster subscriptions that cost a bit more.
#5.1.2 (Edited 689d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report
Crazyglues  +   689d ago
@ Tapewurm

yeah I think your 100% right, I guess that was my mistake thinking Onlive didn't lag..

I have a really fast connect.. so I never lagged, it was like playing on my console for me..

-But I guess from looking at all the disagrees, I guess people were getting bad lag, so my bad.. I should have said I didn't get lag on the service because I'm on a really fast connect.

That did indeed come out wrong/ didn't mean to imply that there was no lag - should of said I got no lag..

Very good point Tapewurm and well said bubble for you my friend...
ginsunuva  +   689d ago
But latency will only decrease with time.

Sony can't control the traffic and congestion in the worldwide web.
grailly  +   689d ago
The latency seems ok, I surely wouldn't chose to play GOW this way, but most games should be fine. I've seen games played locally that had more latency than this.
Buuhan1  +   689d ago
I don't think this was a very clear test. I recall Kratos not stopping on a dime when you stop moving him, as does a lot of characters in third-person games. For this to be tested it needs to be on something more precise, like aiming. The Last of Us is being demostrated too, right? All someone has to do is aim a gun in that game and move the reticle around for a good test.
sobekflakmonkey  +   689d ago
Agreed, movement has momentum in GoW, so if you run, it takes time to stop, I too think someone should record TLOU gameplay instead and using the aiming for a proper test, aiming in video games usually has to be responsive.
Kryptix  +   689d ago

He talks about latency of The Last of Us starting at 3:05 but doesn't show aiming which I'm curious how it is also. He did say it's playable, nothing that will stop you from enjoying the games.
Bladesfist  +   689d ago
I think it is worth noting that the minimum connection speed is 40mbps for this. A lot of people seem to be confusing MB with Mb. Hope this helps clear it up.

b = bit
B = byte.
8 bit = 1 byte.
TheKayle1  +   689d ago
ok in game as god of war u dont see a lots the effect of an high ping...but standing at this video forget to play fps or driving

this service for ppl who have usually a ping around 80 will be useless
#9 (Edited 689d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
ooquis  +   689d ago
If anybody ever thought cloud game streaming will be the same as on console keep on dreaming. That's why i personally believe cloud will never ever replace consoles.
#10 (Edited 689d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
The_BoZZ1991  +   689d ago
I hate Cloudgaming. You don't own a game, you rent it. You depend on your Provider and Sony or Gaikai. You cannot start games offline, you can't sell them, you can't lend them. And don't forget the latency.

Streaming is death of console gaming in its traditional way. I hope that this will never replace classical discs. Download-only is pain barrier but Streaming-only passes it.

This is exactly the same shit many of you complained about when Microsoft revealed their plans for XBOX ONE. And now it's fantastic?

#11 (Edited 689d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Furesis  +   689d ago
i know that fighting games wont be good on this but something like an jrpg would be just perfect i think. it all depends on the game really
moujahed  +   689d ago
Remotely playing my PS4 through the Vita has some latency issues yet it's not a big deal with single player games. Yet the main issue I am concerned with is me previously purchasing GTA V for my PS3... Right now all I'm hearing is that I can rent/subscribe to be able to do this... Don't piss me off Sony, you started off good.

Fallout 4 Reviewed | Fextralife

1h ago - Castielle at Fextralife takes a look at the story, setting, and gameplay of the action RPG Fallou... | PC

Bubble Genius - Tips, Tricks, Cheats, How to Beat, and Strategy Guide

8h ago - Bubble Genius is a new bubble shooting game for the iOS and Android platform. Your goal is to pop... | iPhone

HotLiked - What the Internet is talking about right now

Now - Kill some time at You will regret it... | Promoted post

BeatNiks - Tips, Tricks, Cheats, How to Beat, and Strategy Guide

8h ago - BeatNiks is a new virtual pet game by Harmonix, best known for the development of the Guitar Hero... | iPhone

Nintendo 3DS XL with Super Mario 3D Land Game: $129.99 (Reg. $174.99)

8h ago - Grab the Black Nintendo 3DS XL with Super Mario 3D Land Game for $129.99 at Amazon! Take... | 3DS

Armored Warfare Players Celebrate Black Friday

8h ago - The developers and publisher of the increasingly popular armored combat MMO Armored Warfare, Obsi... | PC