Submitted by Pozzle 472d ago | opinion piece

The Best Game of 2013: ‘The Last of Us’ vs. ‘Grand Theft Auto V’

Geek Nation: I love the open world freedom available to me in something like Grand Theft Auto V. There’s a level of playability there that goes far beyond the story mode, and ensures that even after I beat the game, I can cruise around the insanely detailed greater Los Santos area and do practically anything I can think of at any time. It’s a wildly different kind of game than The Last of Us, and though it offers tons more freedom, that doesn’t make it a better game experience overall. Better replay value? Sure. Better overall? No way. (Grand Theft Auto V, PS3, The Last Of Us, Xbox 360)

xHeavYx  +   472d ago
GTA V is a lot of fun, but TLOU is an amazing game which has a very unique MP
Lukas_Japonicus  +   472d ago
Im a big GTA fan and i play GTA5 pretty much everyday, but i would still give my vote to TLOU.
#1.1 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(30) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
geddesmond  +   472d ago
Both games are amazing games that offer different experiences. There is no winner between them. GTA5 is more value for money though but the story in TLOU is very touching and brilliant. Both developers created a brilliant universe with in their games.
ape007  +   472d ago
im a huge gta fanboy, yes gta v is my GOTY but TLOU can get GOTY too

also SM3DW is pure platforming heaven

other can say bioshock, Zelda 3DS, fire emblem, tomb raider etc..

too many games deserve GOTY this

look i hate this GOTY stuff, it's polarizing, especially in a year like 2013
#1.3 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ape007  +   472d ago
double post
#1.4 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Septic  +   472d ago
The fun factor is why I would give GTA V the win over TLOU. The gameplay is superior but then again, TLOU is a masterpiece in its own way.

Both are excellent games and represent the best in their respective genres.

Ultimately, it boils down to what you prefer; a story-driven, emotional game or an open world game focusing more on all out fun.
#2 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Raccoon  +   472d ago
fun is simply not enough for my taste and character... i need something memorable.
TrueJerseyDevil  +   472d ago
TLUO is definitely a more memorable game than GTA V. GTA V was a big disappointment for me this year, while the TLOU was a huge surprise for me. TLUO is a game i will not forget as GTA V is a game i can not forget soon enough because it didn't live up to the hype and can not compare to San Andreas in my opinion
CrossingEden  +   472d ago
I prefer 40-60 hours of straight up polished and varied FUN gameplay over 10-15 overs of a scripted narrative pseudo stealth mechanics. For $60 it's obvious which game is worth the price more because after you finish the story of the last of us you have nothing else left to do. My top three games of 2013 are
1.AC4
2.GTAV
3.Link Between Worlds
These three games give you varied and fun gameplay, excellent narratives in their very detailed but vast open worlds, and are three shining examples of how to continue a franchise without it feeling stale. And I spent more time completing them all compared to the amount of time it took me to complete the last of us sadly. That being said, the last of us is a shining example of how to start a franchise properly and I would definitely be interested in seeing more of that world.
#2.2 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(19) | Report | Reply
MysticStrummer  +   472d ago
"For $60 it's obvious which game is worth the price more"

For me it's obvious too. TLoU wins easily. Time of completion doesn't weigh in as much for me as it apparently does for you though. Journey, for example, was a very short game but a beautiful one. GTAV was fun, but the words "excellent narrative" don't apply at all in my opinion. GTAIV had a better story.

With GTA your money gets you lots of the same old GTA gameplay, which isn't bad by any means, in a new city with new characters. With TLoU you get a more interesting premise with a more focused story starring better fleshed out characters resulting in more emotional impact and tension. There was more tension in each of TLoU's environments than in all of GTAV combined.

Just my opinions.
from the beach  +   472d ago
I liked Grand Theft Auto and TLOU but of the two, I'd have to go with GTAV.

Anyway, Super Mario 3D World says hi.
higgins78  +   472d ago
TLOU, fairly easily. I enjoyed GTAV (a lot) until the repetition set in - which it always does. TLOU on the other hand didn't - I feel - outstay its welcome and changed pace enough to enjoy throughout.

Saying all that, Ive got to agree with what videogames website CVG is saying, Super Mario Galaxy is far, far away Game of the Generation...quite flawless.
Irishguy95  +   472d ago
Strongly disagree with Galaxy as game of the gen. It was far too easy, so much so that the lack of challenge made for a boring game.

TLoU has too many gameplay faults for GotY, despite how many don't want to admit it. Story and Narrative alone don't grab GotY. Otherwise Bioshock would get that win. GTA has it all though
SneakyDoo  +   472d ago
GTA 5 for me, the scope of the game is amazing with its detail. GTA 5's gameplay is constantly fun for me, weather i'm ramping waves on a jet-ski, flying under bridges in a jet, diving into the water off a pier then proceeding to knife a shark, fist fighting hobos, robbing a minimart, customizing a sports car, or just simply blowing up cop cars. The story is good too, not as good as GTA IV's more serious toned narrative which i preferred more, but it has funnier satire, and well- there's Trevor (my personal CoTY). I'll name several details that make the environment in GTA 5 seem even more realer.
-the lighthouse light in Cape Catfish activates when the weather is foggy.
-NPC dogs sometimes can be seen peeing on a hydrant or a mailbox post.
-If you ram your car in a house window in the middle of the night, the lights will turn on in the house, as if you woke up the person inside.
-a military anthem plays every morning in fort zancudo.
-Some NPC's have in-game procedural schedules, like union workers or gardeners. (Example: A gardener will hop on the bus in the morning, and will ride to a selected house usually in the hills. They'll go in the yard and will start tending/cleaning it. They'll clip hedges, blow leaves, tinker with a mower, clean the pool with a net etc...)
-the moon has real time in-game phases, all with different angular light sources.
-your car and even gun will reflect off light sources.
-the game has slight changes in tide over the day.
-cropdusters spray pesticide over the vineyard at some times of the day.
these are just a PORTION of the little details only rockstar adds to make the scope and map even more impressive.

TLOU is a good game, but it's not a masterpiece. it's misleading when people say that. They're acting like it's the god of games. It does have an exceptional narrative with well voice casting, but the gameplay is decent and can sometimes be repetitive (example: sneak, shoot, sneak shoot, sneak, stealth kill). I played the game just once, and didn't touch it again. Well, this is just my opinion.
TrueJerseyDevil  +   472d ago
TLUO is a masterpiece. GTA V was the most over hyped game ever
Eonjay  +   472d ago
Say hello TitanFall.
SneakyDoo  +   471d ago
Well, it's your opinion. I greatly anticipated the title, and it lived up to the hype in my opinion. And TLOU isn't a masterpiece in my book, sorry, but I like gameplay more than story. TLOU had good voice acting and cutscene animations, but that's all I liked honestly. The gameplay got old fast- I always had to sneak past some enemies, if I get spotted, I'd have to fight my way past them, or hide again. Most of the missions are like that, and people say TLOU brought new stuff to the table, not really. It's gameplay isn't anything new or unique. And people say gta 5 didn't bring anything new, well, the 3 character switching thing was actually new, no other games does that in a world as big as the new HD San Andreas (LS and Blaine County) which includes a detailed scope/map.
KiLLUMiNATi_89  +   472d ago
I enjoyed GTA5... Never tried TLOU due to the fact I broke my ps3 but from seeing numerous of gameplay videos, I just wanna shoot myself... That game looks amazing and can't believe I've missed out. Maybe they'll make a ps4 port one day.
hankmoody  +   472d ago
TLoU has the better story by far but as a complete package, you have to give the win to GTA V.
Eonjay  +   472d ago
I can't wait to see the DLC. It about Riley. So, basically it ends badly, but I just can't look away.
SneakyDoo  +   472d ago
Here's a how a lot of gamers see it. They think TLOU deserves GoTY because of it's exceptional narrative and voice acting, and they think GTA V shouldn't deserve it because it's the most popular game currently. We all saw the angry comments at VGX GoTY for 2013. GTA 5 isn't like CoD, Rockstar still put a lot of hard work and effort into it, they added so many small details in the map, the scope and lighting is impressive too, and the physics from euphoria. Car crash effects are more rigid than GTA IV, but they're still some of the best of seen, even better than most racing games, because they're procedurally generated from Bullet Library SBP, so literally, no crash effect is the same.
DoctorJones  +   472d ago
I'd have to give it to GTA 5, I simply enjoyed it more than TLOU. People get upset over the idea that someone can enjoy GTA 5 more than TLOU, but a lot of people do.

If you enjoyed TLOU more, cool, it was a great game as well. Just don't see the need for people to argue against someone elses preference.
corrupted_sharingan  +   472d ago
Fun wise I would go with gta and storywise I would go with TLOU nevertheless both game deserved all this praise, both are goty for me
cyphertech  +   472d ago
While I love the citrus taste of an orange, I also like the teeth cleaning abilities of an apple. I'm gonna go with the last of apple though.
#12 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DoctorJones  +   472d ago
Both are over-rated pieces of trash, mango is the clear winner. Great to look at and perfectly tasty, a masterpiece of, er, fruity engineering.
Summons75  +   472d ago
In my opinion TLOU is better. its new, its fresh, and it did things other games didn't. GTAV was the same old formula just new paint, still fun but it didn't do anything new and once again the story was bleh (I had hopes after red dead had an amazing story). Both great fun but TLOU takes the cake this time.
modesign  +   472d ago
TLOU is getting more goty recognition than GTA and it deserves it. VGA's are a joke when they are the only one giving a GOTY to one game and everyone else is picking the other game.
HomerJDog  +   472d ago
gta v.
Dynasty2021  +   472d ago
GTA 5 annoyed me, made me curse at the frame rates, confused me with the bouncing between characters, yet gave me great fun. Just...fun. Something games have forgotten to give these days.

But sorry, TLOU had me shed a tear in the first 10 minutes, thanks to the Oscar-worthy Troy Baker's performance. It got its' hooks in me from the start and didn't let go until the end of the 4th play through.

GTA 5 is a fantastic game.

TLOU is a once-in-a-generation, flat-out masterpiece.

I have never cared for or fell in love with characters like I did in TLOU. The perfect acting, the emotion in every scene...you can watch TLOU's "movie" on Youtube, just all the cutscenes, and it would STILL be worth the price of admission.

To me, that nails TLOU as GOTY.
#16 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
deadie  +   471d ago
@Dynasty2021:

I agree.

GTAV was fun but TLOU made such a greater impression on me.

It made me actually feel about the characters in the game, and after the game was over it made me put down the controller & think about what ive just played. In a way no other game has done before.

So if GTAV was mindless fun, i guess TLOU was quite the opposite - in a good way.

No wait let me rephrase that- in an exceptional way. :)
#16.1 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
xBlackSylus  +   472d ago
even though i am a huge fan of GTA in general, the story and gameplay presented in the TLOU made that game a masterpiece. TLOU (imo) is the GOTY!!!
TheGrimReaper0011  +   472d ago
My vote goes to The Last Of Us
GTA V was fun, but I really think The Last Of Us was a better game and a better experience
But the fact that so many people had so many different choices shows that we got som real gems last year.
Speaking of which, late happy new year! :p
OMNlPOTENT  +   472d ago
Both great games, but I wouldn't choose either for GOTY. Honestly, to me, handhelds won this year. Both of them have at least one game that exceeded my expectations by far. A Link Between Worlds, and Tearaway are the two games that I will remember 2013 for. The best Zelda game I have played since the first time I played Ocarina of Time, and a game so creative and innovative that it puts every other Vita exclusive to shame. Honestly I'm saddened by Tearaway because I know it won't receive the praise it honestly deserves.
Volitiel  +   472d ago
Definitely The Last of Us, my GOTY. I haven't even finished the GTA V and I am already considering another run through The Last of Us.
SwordandShield  +   472d ago
TLOU for me.
NewAgeisHere  +   472d ago
GTA is great, but not even close to TLOU.
ShaunCameron  +   471d ago
Grand Theft Auto V
mananimal  +   471d ago
its no contest , The Last of US hands down the Best of 2013.
il-JumperMT  +   471d ago
GTA 5 is not even to be considered a contender for GOTY.

Disney Done Right on Sega Genesis

54m ago - Carl Williams writes, "Disney games are some of the most popular with publishers, nearly as valua... | Retro

MegaCraft - Westeroscraft King's Landing

54m ago - Matt and Geoff are back for the final day of our Westeroscraft special! For the last day they're... | Culture

Help Myriad get through Steam Greenlight!

Now - Myriad is a twin-stick shooter that grows more beautiful the better you play, where you build and then destroy the game space in glorious chain rea... | Promoted post

WildSnake for Sega Game Gear Found and Digitally Preserved

54m ago - Carl Williams writes, "Being a fan of retrogaming sometimes has its better than average benefits.... | Retro

Teslagrad Review - GamersFTW

55m ago - Teslagrad is a unique game, cleverly telling a thought-provoking story without any dialogue or ve... | PC

The best PC games

55m ago - Eurogamer: Eurogamer's best games lists aim to guide you to the highest quality, most original,... | PC