Submitted by nerdacy 397d ago | opinion piece

Was 64-Players Right For Battlefield 4 On Next-gen?

Nerdacy: For a second lets forget the fact that EA Digital Illusions CE (DICE) royally screwed up launching Battlefield 4, not only on next-gen platforms Xbox One and PS4, but also on current-gen and PC! I get it. It's tough for developers to adapt to new technology and innovate at the same time, but a finished product should be that, FINISHED. (Battlefield 4, PS4, Xbox One)

DxTrixterz  +   397d ago
Absolutely YES. It makes the game soo much fun with more people in it.
#1 (Edited 397d ago ) | Agree(43) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Kingthrash360  +   397d ago
more like WTF? YES!...just a dumb question..
smh
SITH  +   397d ago
Severely stupid question. 64 player BF4 is the best thing about Bf4 on consoles.
Mister_Dawg  +   396d ago
He's worded his question perfectly to get multiple hits.
That's the big problem with gaming news sites. People have forgotten its about the stories and instead are more interested in how many people have clicked onto it.
Fixay  +   397d ago
agreed!
redknight80  +   397d ago
I LOVE the bonkers stuff that goes on in a 64 player match with vehicles on land/air/sea, but I do get frustrated when I just about kill a single infantry unit; only to have three of his squad mates spawn on him/her and mess my s**t up. Love it still oh so very much!!
Starbucks_Fan  +   397d ago
YES. It's one of the main reasons I got a PS4 at launch.

I LOVE huge multiplayer battles.
HammadTheBeast  +   397d ago
One can only hope MAG 2 or Warhawk 2 will make their debut's on PS4.
KwietStorm  +   397d ago
I couldn't care less for MAG 2, but Warhawk..
Rob Hornecker  +   397d ago
I bought a PS3 just to play MAG on. I would like to see a port over of the ARMA series to both the XB uno and ps 4.

As far as the 64 ( or was that 66? ) players on the next gen,YES and it works very well! Thank you!

While we are on the subject of port overs to the next gen,what about a new SOCOM,Homefront,Ghost Recon,or Rainbow 6?
Ashby_JC  +   396d ago
Bf4 with the promise of a higher player count in ALL modes was one of the main reasons I got a launch system.

I loved the bf experience but I always felt that I was not getting a true bf experience in consoles. (24 players..fail)

So..I disagree with the author!!!
RIP_Cell  +   397d ago
it's good, just don't call it 60fps, it clearly isn't on these 64 player maps
Ju  +   397d ago
What makes you say that? There's no difference to the other maps.
Mega24  +   397d ago
idk about you but I always get the 60 fps to 55 fps, sometimes it drops when big events like the levolution that drop to the mid 30, or in Hainan Resort when one of the sides of the building drops, it falls to the 10's. But during regular match of the 32v32 going head on for one objective the frames stay steady in the 55 to 60.
Insomnia_84  +   397d ago
On PC?
CrossingEden  +   397d ago
Yea I noticed that too, framerate dropped majorly when the levolution thing happened at the resort map. Which was strange because that was a smaller scale levolution compared to the skyscraper falling over.
Necro_559  +   397d ago
Maybe on your system, not on PS4 or MY PS4
KwietStorm  +   397d ago
Drops in frame rate happens in PC games too. You do know that, right? Just because BF4 might drop here or there, doesn't mean that it doesn't run at 60 frames. Actually, looking at everything else on the table, you could easily come to the conclusion that the drops are bugs, not stress on the console.
desertpunk86  +   397d ago
no it wasn't i played it on ps4 and there was lag and crashes all over the place because it was my brothers i had to pretend the ps4 and bf was exiting lol but it was a waste of money.
Necro_559  +   397d ago
Thats over you moron. The game runs flawlessly now. I bet you have never played it and are just lying.
KwietStorm  +   397d ago
It most certainly does not run flawlessly right now, but it's much better than at release.
dannphou  +   397d ago
What if the game had 128 players? lol...
Insomnia_84  +   397d ago
Like M.A.G on PS3? It would be awesome!
Sarcasm  +   397d ago
MAG was 256 players though wasn't it?
TheUndertaker85  +   397d ago
@Sarcasm: For Domination. Acquisition was capped at 128 then Sabotage, Suppression, & Interdiction capped at 64. Escalation allowed 96.
#5.1.2 (Edited 397d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
Rob Hornecker  +   397d ago
The bad thing about MAG was that you had to be leveled up pretty high to take advantage of the 64/128 player maps and modes and what made that even harder was the sever lag issue with its game play.

It was a great idea,but it just didn't work for the PS3's lack of computer power,but now of days with the PS4,it could become a BF4 beater.
Ashby_JC  +   396d ago
I logged a lot of hours in MAG. I would more then welcome a sequel for the ps4.

Graphically it wasn't the best but it was a lot of fun...and that's the bottom line!!
Insomnia_84  +   397d ago
@sarcasm

Yeah that's right! They should bring back MAG to PS4 by 2015.
Ravenor  +   397d ago
Zipper doesn't exist anymore.
TheUndertaker85  +   397d ago
@Ravenor: So? Zipper doesn't own MAG. Sony does.
TheArkatek  +   397d ago
Come join the PC master race and you can experience that. We had 213 players in Arma 3 last night. BTW which blows any shooter out of the water.
Rob Hornecker  +   397d ago
Oh I would love to! I have heard nothing but great things about the ARMA series. The problem i have with PC gaming is that each time a new game comes out ,the was state of the art pc i'm using is out dated and has to be upgraded at some cost.

Don't get me wrong,I have had my share of PC gaming enjoyment and MS motocross madness 2.as well as Battlefield 2 will always be my most favorite games of ALL time! But for me a console is just easier to live with. I enjoy picking up a console controller and not having to mess around looking for keys on the keyboard and trying to aim with a mouse.
#5.3.1 (Edited 397d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report
Ju  +   397d ago
Not for me. 64 players is only supported in the large warfare maps. I don't play those...actually, maybe, I am the only one who doesn't like vehicular combat too much. I can't fly and it p...s me off that I have to run back for miles if there is no vehicle/team mate available to get back into the action. Just not my type of play. But I love the smaller domination and deathmatch games. They are great. 32 players max.
TechNews  +   397d ago
you come from COD that's why you aren't used to huge maps
Ju  +   397d ago
No, actually. But I just like the game type. I have to admit TDM is "CoD"ified Battlefield. I get it. But still, I like it. I hardly play Ghost. Visually it's just so last gen...well. KZ beats both anyway. So. But if you like vehicles, well, there is no other game, of course.
TechNews  +   396d ago
There is Arma3 but no COD players will ever try that cuz if you don't play as a team then the game is no fun for you..
KwietStorm  +   397d ago
Maybe it's just not your kinda game then. Vehicles and large maps are kinda like, part of the definition of the Battlefield series. You should embrace the vehicles, not dislike them. It's good that you recognize you can't fly, instead of jumping in the pilot seat and killing a whole squad like these other idiots. But land vehicles, you should definitely learn to help your team. Domination and TDM don't even showcase the Battlefield experience even a little bit.
#6.2 (Edited 397d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Ju  +   397d ago
Oh...I like the tank. But still. Not my game. And, well, I doubt I am the only one. DM are the biggest games even in BF.
Ashby_JC  +   396d ago
They added a test range where you can fly and drive any vehicle. You can change your controller layout.

I used to never fly heli or jets in bf3 because it's hard to practice during a live match lol.

So I suggest going into Test Range. Practice get better. You may turn out to be a beast. It will only enhance your bf experience.
quaneylfc  +   397d ago
Is anyone having loads of joining problems still, waiting in massive queues and buy dkc to play normal maps type of things
Travesty  +   397d ago
I ain't use to battlefield 4 as I was with battlefield 3, it feels different to me. I was impressed when I got it but it quickly faded.. I don't like how they combined TDM and CQ TDM.. all small maps. Most of the time I can't get my squad to be a squad, and results in me respawning and dying more quickly. It might be just that I'm not any good at it like I was with BF3, so maybe I'm just mad lol.. I'll get over it.
thedon8982z  +   396d ago
I totally agree with the TDM PART,I f@CKN hate that it a smaller number of people than BF3. D@me Dice show the folks who love TDM some love to.I mean I like conquest/rush/domination just as much as everyone else, but alot of times I just want a good simple TDM game to play.How hard is it to do a all out warfare TDM( tanks,vehicles,etc) with 64 players. That's what I personally have been hoping for.
#8.1 (Edited 396d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
WafflesID  +   397d ago
Seriously? This is even up for debate? You have smaller maps for people who don't like big battles. why the hell WOULDN'T you include 64 player maps if it is technically feasible?

I can't be the only one face palming at this article.
Aleithian  +   397d ago
Well, I have 50mbs internet and 64-player PS4 is GREAT for me. There have been a few lags here and there, nothing major. Overall it's a beautiful experience.
Xaphy  +   397d ago
Anyone still having lag and stutter issues on ps4?
Letthewookiewin  +   397d ago
A little rubber banding and lag. Even saying that though it has improved so much.
Mac420  +   397d ago
Starting to think a lot of these so called problems we have encountered with big launch titles as of late. Really starting to think its less to do with game severs an the games themselves.

Or more the fact there being operated by complete morons with piss poor connections speeds. Don't know what's worse, this article or the influx of complete idiots to video games as a whole.
staticdash22  +   397d ago
Hard to say. Battlefield 4 is a mostly 25-40 FPS experience. Can't tell you how many drops I experienced yesterday in just one match.

For me, its only 60fps at the beginning of the match when your running to the objective with your team.
#13 (Edited 397d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Necro_559  +   397d ago
What are you playing on. I play on PS4 and its a consistent 50 to 60 FPS at all times. 50 when a bunch of stuff is happening at once and 60 all the other times. It never drops below 50.
#13.1 (Edited 397d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Letthewookiewin  +   397d ago
Ya I'm on PS4 also and the frame rate is smooth as butter.
brich233  +   397d ago
what console?
Qrphe  +   397d ago
Update your drivers
Letthewookiewin  +   397d ago
Digital Foundry did the VS and concluded that the X1 version drops down to 30 when things get hectic.
solidboss  +   397d ago
*in banes voice*
"64 players in battlefield four was necessary"
#15 (Edited 397d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
brich233  +   397d ago
Even with the vechicles, Conquest maps are way to spaced out when you compare them to infantry only maps like Operation Metro and Operation locker,those maps offer nonstop action. Metro has 3, and gulf of OMan has 7 capture points. I wish they would make an infantry only conquest with 64 players, that plays out like 20 man domination.
BossGamerKnowsBest  +   397d ago
I remember playing it on the xbox 360 which has 32 players and it was REALLY boring so boring that i returned it and when i got my PS4 with battlefield it was CRAZY i love the 64 players
Belking  +   397d ago
Bf4 runs great on xb1. It's clearly the superior version for the consoles.
Lukas_Japonicus  +   397d ago
Lol, WHAT?! That's only clear to you and the 4 agrees you have, the PS4 version of BF4 is the superior console version....fact. The PS4 version runs at 1600x900p as opposed tp the X1's 1280x720p.....and the PS4 version also holds 60fps way more than the X1 despite already running at a higher resolution.

^^^ In-depth analysis and proof that the PS4 is the superior console version, you are just plain wrong. My mind boggles how/why you think the X1 version is better......lower framerate/lower resolution = better to you?
#18.1 (Edited 397d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kingduqc  +   397d ago
Some game are made for 64 players, some not. Battlefield is one of those. Map design went to shit after battlefield 2 since they tried to make it accesible for console and it's preaty lame.
il-JumperMT  +   397d ago
I only got PS4 on 23rd December, but I had no problems with BF4. Probably it was patched already.
TheArkatek  +   397d ago
NO definitely not. On PC yes but on a console you just end up with 63 other selfish assholes who are only worried about leveling up. We play B4 entirely different on PC. If I get a chopper I will wait for some teammates to hop in. On the console dickheads just pull off. Which brings me to my final 2 points. 98.9% of people DO NOT play battlefield properly. I have been playing battlefield since 1942 and have had my worst team play experience on consoles. Last, shooters need to stop with all the leveling up crap. The only thing that should require ranking up is your rank only (E-1 to E-9). The only thing all of this ranking up weapons,goggles, scopes and underwear does is take away the team aspect and communication of the game. WHY ? Because everyone just ends up doing there own thing to level up there crap. Remember the Rainbow Six Vegas and GRAW 2 days ? They gave us all the weapons and everything right from the start and it was way more fun. Those games actually required communication and team work.
#21 (Edited 397d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Rob Hornecker  +   397d ago
You Sir are a true gamer and KNOW a great modern military shooter when you play 1! See my other posts in this thread.

What makes your post hit home with me is your comment about "teamwork"! It seems to be a lost cause these days. I blame that on the current main stream young gamers me,me,me thought process and any CoD game to date that is all "run and gun".

I hope that you won't get totally turned off at console games and the more mature gamers that are on them. We are out here in console land,you just have to find us.

PM me and I'll give you my gamer tags in your interested.
Mr_Butata  +   397d ago
"We play B4 entirely different on PC"

Who's 'we'? Because i bet there's dumb people playing on PC... Just like there is on consoles, tablets, board monopoly, chess, real life football... Whatever! Not everyone is the same and specialy not everyone is just like you want them to be... Don't be a whiny little brat!

I too play on consoles and like to play to the objective and help out the team... Leveling up is secondary. And since i usualy play with friends, who share the same goal as me, I dont experience those problems that you mentioned that often. So yea... Maybe you sould take Rob's advice and keep looking for better team-mates;)
Flames76  +   397d ago
you seem slow
Ashby_JC  +   396d ago
I lol when you said waiting in the heli etc. I have had people run right pass me while I'm waiting for passengers smh.

I have had people jump on the bike or atv and blast right pass me..smh.

It's the reason I joined a clan. We always use mics and it makes for a much better experience.
Flames76  +   397d ago
Dumbass people like this just wanting attention.Whoever wrote this just stay in your mommys basment because you are an idiot.About like all the childish PC players
#22 (Edited 397d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TheArkatek  +   397d ago
You're funny. Why so mad ? Because you cannot afford a rig ? You must be one of those players I am talking about. Yes there are also players like that on PC but NO WHERE near as many. For the record you are the childish slow one ranting. Im just speaking the truth. BTW I am 37 years old and will be retiring in less than a year from the US Army. So calm down little guy before your mom turns off your internet.
#22.1 (Edited 397d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Rob Hornecker  +   396d ago
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

BTW the way I got ya by 20 years!
mysteryraz11  +   397d ago
if the ps3 and 360 had 8gb would it s
upport 64 players

13 Horror Games Not to Turn Your Back on in 2015

6m ago - IGN:"Dracula, Pennywise, Cthulhu: all great evils return after periods of protracted slumber. The... | Culture

Free SMITE Gems on Saturday For All Players

6m ago - Play SMITE this Saturday to earn Hi-Rez's in game currency. | PC

Square Enix Announces A New Pair Of Game Collections

6m ago - Square Enix has announced a pair of collections that bundle together some of the publisher's best... | Xbox 360

Uncharted 4 Might Beat Halo 5 Guardians, Critics Opine

7m ago - The actual release date for both console exclusive games is almost a year away but based on curre... | Industry

Need Cash? (US Only)

Now - How would it feel to have your money struggles solved by this time tomorrow? We give fast loans from $100-$10,000+, and repayment terms up to 60 mo... | Promoted post

Toukiden: Kiwami on PS4 gets preorder discount

7m ago - Toukiden: Kiwami on PlayStation 4 has received a 17% preorder discount, dropping its price to $49... | PS4