Submitted by Abriael 370d ago | news

New Square Enix President Promises to Continue Releasing “Memorable Games”

t’s almost the new year, and it’s time for promises. The new President and CEO of Square Enix Yosuke Matsuda made his pledge before entering his first full year at the helm. (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, PC, PS3, PS4, Thief, Tomb Raider, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Yosuke Matsuda)

kalkano  +   370d ago
"I think Square Enix is known for releasing 'memorable games.'"

You think wrong. SquareSOFT was known for releasing memorable games. SquareEnix is known for releasing crap, ignoring what it's fans want, and making ill-advised attempts to cater to the west.
Abriael  +   370d ago
Umh no. Plenty memorable games have been released after the merger with Enix, and Eidos has released plenty memorable games under Square Enix as well.

So no. I don't think so. That looks like a very extremized, hateful point of view I really can't get behind.
#1.1 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(41) | Disagree(21) | Report | Reply
aiBreeze  +   370d ago
While technically true, some of the games Squaresoft made were on a completely different level to anything Square Enix has released this gen.
zerocrossing  +   370d ago
While that may be the case, you can't deny the serious decline in quality titles that Squenix have been releasing since the merger.

Certainly they have released some good games in recent years, but they're not a patch on those from Squares golden years.

I like Square and Enix as much as the next guy, I really do. However, I'm not about to stick up for a company who's responsible for poor business practices and the basterdisation of a once great franchise that was Final Fantasy.
#1.1.2 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(12) | Report
HelpfulGamer  +   370d ago
Kingdom Hearts, Bravely Default, FFXIV:ARR, FFXII Dissidia, Star Ocean, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex:Human Revolution. Memorable Games from Square Enix! :D
Godmars290  +   370d ago
You or someone needs to list what those games are. Cause as far as I know the only solely SE games which have been "memorable" is because they were generally controversial and divisional of the fan base. If not outright hated.

@HelfuGamer:
*Which* Kingdom Hearts title? The first where something actually happened, or the rest which sank into convolution? Likewise Deus Ex: UR was a project before Edios was bought and Realm Reborn wouldn't even exist if they had gotten FF14 right in the first freakin' place. Star Ocean was forgettable cliche while Dissidia isn't even an RPG. Its enough multi-level fighter, but its main strength was in character nostalgia. Something which SE has become too guilty of exploiting.

Even Bravery Default, perhaps the one "honest" thing that they've done has been compared to FF.
#1.1.4 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(21) | Report
Abriael  +   370d ago
Godmars290 Meet:
Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Kingdom Hearts II, Dragon Quest from VIII onwards, Drakengard II, The world ends with you, Just Cause 2, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Bravely Default, Deus Ex HR, Final Fantasy Type-0, Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider just to name a few.

But no surprise here. Where there's Square Enix, there'll also be Godmars290 hatin.
#1.1.5 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(13) | Report
RoXante  +   370d ago
@Abriael Agree.
maddskull  +   370d ago
@zerocrossing but ff14 is a good mmo and from what i say from ff13 lightning returns it looks very good and i think 15 will be a great hit in the ff series
Murad  +   370d ago
Umm, even though your comment might be correct from a technical standpoint, you clearly do not know how to compare SquareSoft games to SquareEnix titles. SquareSoft is on a whole different level than SquareEnix, everything SS did, the soundtrack, the design, the pacing, they were all matched and strung together as if there was talent on board. What resulted from SE was a game called FF13, in which the true awesomeness of the game didn't truly start until 30 hours in, and even then, most players along with myself remember how terrible the previous 30 hours were and HOW IT DIDNT MAKE UP FOR ANYTHING. That doesn't mean there newest titles such as FF13-2 or the online FF is bad (I've never played them), but you can clearly see through FF13 that, SE does not know how to create games as well as they used, and this is prly cuz they fired off all the old employers from the SS days. What's worse is, you have companies like Eidos making better games than them, and in all honesty, my guess is one day Eidos or someone else will buy out SE.
CarlosX360  +   370d ago
I agree with those who think that there was a decline in quality with Square games. Under Square Enix, that quality declined - save for some good games.

As for a person asking "which" Kindom Hearts game was "good" under SE banner - Kingdom Hearts 2 says hi. @Godmars290

I would love nothing more than to see SquareSoft-quality games, but that company has just left the building for good.

I'd flip if Square Enix makes some good games all over again, like SquareSoft did. Again, that company has just left the building - it's now a shadow of it's former self. I'd also flip if Einhander or Xenogears were re-mastered for PS3/PS4 or at least a game as good as the two of those games.
#1.1.9 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
-Foxtrot  +   370d ago
"New Square Enix President Promises to continue Releasing “What they think are Memorable Games....on mobiles"

Fixed
hellzsupernova  +   370d ago
Was going to say this.

Hopefully they realise eventually that there is a huge audience of console gamers who remember and love their old franchises.

I for one would love to see a proper turn based front mission, so many good hours, and another final fantasy tactics.
Tetsujin  +   370d ago
I'd flip s-it if Xenogears and Einhander was on mobile; yes some people would be able to play them "on the go" or "on their phone" however those games are best experiences on a console.

A Fear Effect HD would also be nice.
Murad  +   370d ago
Couldn't agree anymore. I hate how they released Deus Ex: The Fall on iPad, and screwed over all the fans.
KonsoruMasuta  +   370d ago
You do know that if Square never tried to cater to the west, the mojority of you guys would probably have never played they game that you considered good? If they didn't care for the west, there would never be any localization.
Murad  +   370d ago
Umm, there's a thing called emulators, made by programmers who can write scripts to translate different languages within video games in seconds, trust me, if Square never localized it, someone else would have. Also, Square Soft localized it, not SE. Those are two different companies, to me, SquareSoft is completely buried.
CarlosX360  +   370d ago
Unfortunately, SquareEnix thinks there's a small market for RPG's here than it is over in Japan or related countries. Otherwise they would have localized games over here more often. Ridiculous, but true.
chaos-lockheart  +   370d ago
Great memorable new games? No. Old classics? Yes. A lot of people are missing out on great old games. making them for new gen to enjoy is great idea. but they also need to release some great new games that uses these old formulas.
#1.4 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
sorry you got down voted by a bunch of idiots. i was one of the 18 up votes.
SugarSoSweet  +   370d ago
I agree SquareEnix suck and so does FF13 and Lightning
dmitrijs88  +   370d ago
and you
Dmd  +   370d ago
Enix had it's share of shitty games, but they are still responsible for FFX, DQVIII, FFXII, FFXIV: ARR and Tomb Raider - which are all pretty damn memorable to me. I still think they are in a bad place right now, but they can turn around, just as they did before with XIV re-launch.
#1.7 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
chaos-lockheart  +   370d ago
wheres dragon quest? they don't support it as much as before
FFX? hell no! i have 2 final fantasy X games discs for the ps2.

the company names on the 2 disc.
ORIGINAL BLACK LABEL DISC-SQUARSOFT
RED LABEL GREATEST HITS DISC-SQUARE ENIX

(the same also goes for the kingdom hearts series, because it was developed and released before the merger and it says SQUARE SOFT.)
#1.7.2 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(6) | Report
dmitrijs88  +   370d ago
Kingdom hearts II?
#1.8 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
indysurfn  +   370d ago
Your dead on Kalkano thats why all the other companies took squares share of the market. The Jrpg market in Japan is now above the 33% mark from 10 years ago. Now it is closer to 50%. And Square had a net lose of market share. Trying to make action adventure and action rpg's instead of turn based fantasy JRPG's.

When was the last time time Square sent a turn based JRPG with console style summon spells? Answer FF IX over a decade ago.
Sly-Lupin  +   370d ago
Not true. Enix also released memorable games.

And Square Enix has released several memorable games of it's own... sure, they didn't DEVELOP those games originally, but they did release them. All those FF and DQ remakes, for example.
rainslacker  +   370d ago
They've released plenty of memorable games as SE. Some of their handheld titles are absolutely amazing. However, they release a lot more games now, so the mediocre ones tend to stand out because the internet is a thing now. Even FF13 is memorable, although not everyone has good memories of it.

However, their average metacritic score for their games has dropped drastically from 2012 to 2013.

I would say that their over-milking of the FF franchise as well as them trying to appeal to a more western audience(which they don't do very well) has soured their reputation among gamers, yet FF titles still sell better than most other games out there. So take that as you will.

What's sad is that both Square and Enix as individual entities produced must have games 9 out of 10 times.
ritsuka666  +   370d ago
New Square Enix President Promises to Continue Releasing “Memorable Games”

Yep, in mobile market.
jagstar44  +   370d ago
hopefully memorable in a good way and not memorable in a final fantasy 13 way..
Nathaniel_Drake  +   370d ago
FF7?....please don't hit me!
aiBreeze  +   370d ago
Lol, FF15 reminds me more of Devil May Cry than it does FF7. It's better to just accept the reality that the company who made FF7 no longer exists.
#3.1 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
-Foxtrot  +   370d ago
True but at least FF15's battle system looks way better then FF13's

Maybe for FF16 they'll go back to turn based, Lost Odyssey did it and it was a blast. They just need to make it a little bit more fast paced so you don't end up getting a tad bored during long battles while you watch magic/limit breaks/summon animations. The ring system worked well in Lost Odyssey, it was like an expanded version of the R1 trigger on Squalls gunblade in FF8.

I think with turn based once you have a random encounter it quickly transitions you into the battle....no little start up sequence where the camera flashes to different angles showing you the map and the characters pull there weapons out.
Summons75  +   370d ago
"They just need to make it a little bit more fast paced so you don't end up getting a tad bored during long battles"

@foxtrot
What you just described WAS the ff13 battle system....geez you haters cease to amaze me how blind your hatred makes you.
wishingW3L  +   370d ago
I too hope turn-based is back after FF15 and what I really want is for it to be more like Chrono Trigger where you could combine magic spells and no silly transitions when getting into a battle.

Although I don't think we'll ever see a FF16 this gen since Nomura said that there were direct "sequels" planned for FF15. Square are really scared to let go of the FF name to make new Triple A IP's like they did back in the day with Parasite Eve, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Man, Xenogears, etc.

But I don't care what they do with the franchise, I'm pretty sure everything is gonna be fine as long as Toriyama is not at the helm of any project.
#3.1.3 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
-Foxtrot  +   370d ago
@Summons

LOL...what I described is NOTHING like FF13's boring, lack luster, repetitive battle system which relied more on luck then how strong you actually were...not too mention instead of carefully selecting options like summons, magic, fighting etc in a well planned out battle which required a little strategy from time to time you just mashed the X button at times.

Oh and don't say "blind haters" when the game was actually crap...people who like FF13 are in the minority and you are part of that. If you like it fine but don't make out it's a good game and people are blind haters...thats hitting a new low to defend it
#3.1.4 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report
MRMagoo123  +   370d ago
@summons (in foxtrots defense)

FF13 wasnt even a final fantasy game it just had the name in it, if no one knew who made it and it had no title not one person would say i wonder if this is a new final fantasy game.

I am a HUUUUGE final fantasy fan, my email address shows that, the fact i named my daughter Rinoa shows it,i have all of the OST which i listen too very very often, so i am no hater of the games but FF13 was shit you could do every fight by pressing the auto attack. If square wants to be top in the genre again they need to go back to their roots and start making their amazing games again. If they keep on the route of this action based rubbish they will keep going down hill.
Goku781  +   370d ago
Please be closer to FFVII we're all gonna die, instead of FF13 somewhere over the rainbow.
wishingW3L  +   370d ago
if anything is gonna be closer to Kingdom Hearts. A much more darker and realistic version of KH.
Tetsujin  +   370d ago
I actually like 6 over 7, although I'd welcome a re-release of both games on pc/console.
CrossingEden  +   370d ago
Wonder when people are gonna accept the fact that ff13 series is extremely popular in japan and that maybe it doesn't seem appealing to them because as much as they would LIKE to be, they aren't and never will be japanese.
maximus1985  +   370d ago
let me get this straight, so are you saying because we arent japanese we simply dont understand why ff13 is in actuality a great game?
-Foxtrot  +   370d ago
Not really

Most Japanese gamers like anything Japan made so it's obvious they are going to like whatever FF is thrown at them.

Just because Japanese people like it means jack s***....compare that to the rest of the world and you'll see the majority of people hated FF13.

It's not like FF7-10 for example where it was popular all over.

Thats how much the series has declined with FF13.
MRMagoo123  +   370d ago
Exactly, all the final fantasy games where hugely popular even when they made it action based in ff12 instead of turn based (i wish it was still all turn based i love it like that for ff games) then 13 hit with its odd easy mode gameplay where you could auto attack thru the entire game and the story wasnt that good along with some pretty bad characters it all went down hill on top of that they made it linear as friggin heck.

IMHO bring back the old school style of ff game like 6,7,8,9 and 10 games and give us back a huge open world to explore with air ships and chocobos and the sales will come back and the fans will come back.
rainslacker  +   370d ago
I'm one of the few people that liked FF13. Not so much as a FF game, but as it's own stand alone work. People berate the story because it was poorly delivered by the characters, but at least half the characters were actually good. The bad ones dragged everything down though.

To me, FF13 was more a spin-off FF game. If it had been it's own thing(a new IP), it probably would have done pretty well. However, people put very high expectations on it.

To me the game seemed incomplete. Too much was missing to make it a full title FF game.

However, you don't have to be Japanese to appreciate the game. Most of the themes were fairly cliched and understandable to anyone with more than a middle school education. FF was probably the least Japanese of all the FF games. It is quite literally the most westernized FF game to date.
ninjahunter  +   370d ago
Squeenix has definatelly shifted from the "EA" stereotype. I personally consider them one of the best publishers at the moment, they are almost giving me every single game I want, and they have a very high standard for quality of games that they release.

Hitman, Tomb raider, Final fantasy, COD, Deus Ex, Thief, Diablo 3(console), Kingdom Hearts, Dead Island and just Cause.
Unlimax  +   370d ago
How about a sequel or a remake for Parasite Eve , Square Enix you need to scratch what happen in The 3rd Birthday and make it seem as if nothing happened in that game , Aya brea becomes forgettable in that game Toriyama Destroys Aya Brea identity and make her fate unknown so you better fix this ASAP !
#7 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
feraldrgn  +   370d ago
Memorable games for consoles & handhelds right? ....Right??
ErryK  +   370d ago
The FFXIII era was a memorable time, for fans and haters alike. Only one enjoyed it though, and for the ones who didn't, well, at least one of us got something out of this...
''we established are style with games like DRAGON QUEST & FINAL FANTASY''
the fact that the dragon quest series is the first series of those two that popped into his head tells me that this dude is wrong for the job. i don't care how popular dragon quest is in japan, final fantasy is still far more popular than that series.

SQUARE SOFT- a company that had dozens of wildly popular games that put a large chunk of it money into a unsuccessful movie that near killed the company.

ENIX- a company that was only ever well known for one game that was really only popular in it's country of origin, and never really created any other games that were at the very least moderately successful.

SQUARE ENIX- the two companies have merged into one, but all the top positions seem to be held by enix staff.
zombie78rock  +   370d ago
Hitman .... Squaresoft only made rpgs Squarenix is a bigger company
JackieCruise69  +   370d ago
Lol, Yeah, 'memorable'.
For what? Graphic junkies? Mobile game ports?

People can dislike all they want, but Square Enix has been losing it's quality if you ask me(Oh no! opinions!)
I'm practically done with this company. Bravely Default looks like the only decent RPG they've put out lately, to me. They pretty much fucked FF for me after how the last few games were (Ugh.. 13.)and I'm losing interest with KH which was my main reason for bothering with them. I think by time they put KH3 out I'll have lost all interest.
As for their non-RPG games, I think the only one I cared about was Tomb Raider.. But the newest one isn't really catching my attention, so whatever.
Setzer007  +   370d ago
I think they should bring back "Secret of Mana" and I also wouldn't mind seeing another "Crystal Chronicles" for the WIi U. That console needs some help right now.
tommygunzII  +   369d ago
Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, and Deus Ex were some of the best games released recently and no one can deny that.

If you haven't played them it's not SE's fault.
Daniel_Potter  +   367d ago
Lets hope that will bring back Hitman franchise back to it's stealth roots

Farming Simulator 15 Review I GoodGameHR

12m ago - Probably the best Farming Simulator so far, but somehow it's not worth buying if you have the pre... | PC

The new Kadenz fermata//Akkord:fortissimo patch supports the PS Vita TV

1h ago - MAGES & 5pb released a new patch for the new Kadenz fermata//Akkord:fortissimo ADV PS Vita game.... | PS Vita

Escape Dead Island Review I GoodGameHR

2h ago - Some spin-offs should never be published and Escape Dead Island is the right example of such one. | PC

Assassin’s Creed: Rogue Review I GoodGameHR

2h ago - This year we've had an opportunity to play to big AC games - due to its technical issues AC Unity... | Xbox 360

Study Game Design at DeVry

Review: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (DarkZero)

2h ago - Dominic Sheard: "It might have been close to a 10 month wait, but thankfully Konami Productions s... | PC