Submitted by bggriffiths 226d ago | opinion piece

Are Next-Gen Re-Releases Like Tomb Raider A Bad Idea?

Dealspwn writes: Last week at the VGX Awards, Square Enix finally admitted they would be re-releasing Tomb Raider on the PS4 and Xbox One. This ‘Definitive Edition’ comes with a handful of visual upgrades including TressFX technology for Lara’s hair (like the original PC version), a remodelling for Lara’s face and better leaves and branches on the trees. And presumably better explosions, because that’s the next-gen dream right?

There’s even more packed in though! Like the extra skins, weapons and eight DLC maps for the multiplayer that everyone plays so much! Making of documentaries that you’d otherwise have to look for on YouTube! That really shitty digital prologue comic! And there’s an extra artbook in the Special Edition of the Definitive Edition for those of you wanting more than the Standard Edition of the Definitive Edition! What! (Culture, Industry, PS4, Tomb Raider, Xbox One)

« 1 2 3 »
ZodTheRipper  +   226d ago
To me at least, yes.

I want developers to focus on new projects, I couldn't care less about last years Tomb Raider that I didn't even finish on PS3 just because it's on PS4 now with better explosions and hair physics. Especially not for the full price, what is Square thinking? I wouldn't even pay the full price for GTA5 or TLOU on PS4.
#1 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(35) | Disagree(28) | Report | Reply
Kingthrash360  +   226d ago
u didnt finish it? wow. well imo its coo great games get a pass, just as long as they dont port rmember me or somethin
ZodTheRipper  +   226d ago
Yes I didn't, it was part of my huge backlog and I just didn't have the time to go through all "ok" and "good" games and focused only on the "great" ones. I think Tomb Raider belonged to the "good" but after so many similar games this gen I felt like having played that before - that's the reason why I want developers to focus on new stuff instead of rehashing lastgen.

It's not only graphics ...it's primarily the gameplay that was limited lastgen due to the hardware which resulted in many games feeling the same. Just take a look at Dying Light, Titanfall or The Division which bring something completely new to the table.
#1.1.1 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(18) | Report
Conzul  +   226d ago
I missed both, but I'd rather play next gen Remember Me than tomb raider.

In principal, no, it's not a bad idea. It really does not take that much extra work to release a next gen port, since in essence that's already what was running on devs computers and downscaled for current gen.
GuyThatMakesSense  +   226d ago
I think it's fine as long as the make a considerable visual/technical upgrade. I would pay (not as much as $60 but still I'd pay) to have LBP2 on PS4 with the technical upgrade of more on-screen because of RAM. Though I wouldn't pay for a game I already paid last-gen (unless it's LBP2!)
Mikethejew  +   226d ago
Just another money grab, they couldnt sell enough on current gen so they port over the pc version. This is why square isnt what they use to be.
Imalwaysright  +   226d ago
It sold more than 4 million copies.
WildArmed  +   226d ago
It sold well, like mentioned above.

Now, I know devs have to cook up a next-gen engine for PS4/Xbox 1, and if they decide to fund their next-gen engine R&D via these methods. I'm OK w/ it, no one is being forced to buy it. And let's face it, next-gen could use more games right now.

Tomb Raider was a darn good game.
Mikethejew  +   226d ago
Actually if you morons understood more than just video games youd know that the company said it sold below expectations. So 4mill may be a lot to you the company thought theyd sell a lot more. Go spend some time getting educated.
Imalwaysright  +   225d ago
Since when, selling below expectations means that the game wasn't a comercial success or profitable? CD is already working on the sequel and there is only ONE reason why SE gave CD the green light to do so.

I'm surprised that you haven't figured out what that reason is, seeing that you are oh so much superior than the rest of us common mortals but don't worry, I'll give you 100 years for you to figure it out on your own.
ground_beef  +   225d ago
Ok, yes, SE DID say that the game sold below expectations, but at the time SE was saying that, the game sold about 2 mill copies, they said the same about sleeping dogs and hitman, and again both games sold about 2 mill at the time they said it. But after a few months there was a surge in purchases for all three games, especially tomb raider. In the end it sold 4 mill +, and SE even released another statement saying that the didn't expect such a late surge in sales for all three games, especially tomb raider, and that SE was overall happy with the outcome, even though it took more time. They said that at the end all three games met their sales expectations. You can follow all these stories here or at any other vgames news site in their archives. All in all tomb raider was a freakin awesome game, I don't know why people hate on it, for me it was amazing in every way. An example of how to successfully reboot a dying franchise.
twinspectre  +   226d ago
100% agree
a REMAKE like RE Rebirth would be great
TopDudeMan  +   226d ago
Meh, We played them this year, do we really need to own them on every console?
darkride66  +   226d ago
I want it. This game slipped my list somehow and I missed out on it first time around. I think it'll be great to have a crack at this on the PS4 (once I finally find one).

I have nothing against ports. A good game is a good game, no matter when it came out. Looking forward to this one.
justSumDood  +   226d ago
Some people will.
There are also those that didnt get to play it the first time around.

Either way, i think these re-makes are ALL perfect candidates for the "upgrade" deal that some companies have been doing recently.
Or better yet, the FREE cross-buy deal that has been so popular on sonys machine.
0ut1awed  +   226d ago
If you like pretty games with a bit more functionallity then sure, I guess it's okay. It ultimatley comes down to you purchasing it anyways so if you are then you obviously think it's okay.

As someone who owns a gaming PC and a PS4, I have zero desire for these because they will still won't quite stack up to the PC version that I played months ago.

As Zod said, I would much rather them concentrate on awesome console exclusives. But that's just me I guess.
#1.5 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
DealWithIt  +   226d ago
I am actually waiting for GTA5 and TLOU on PS4 (with updated graphics taking advantage of next-gen power). Tomb Raider would be awesome as well.
ZodTheRipper  +   226d ago
Yes I am too somehow but as I said, I won't give them the full price (69,99€ in Germany at the moment) for it. I think 39,99€ would be my pain threshold.
SoulSercher620  +   226d ago
GTA 5 may happen. But I believe Naughty Dog shot down the possibility of TLOU coming to PS4.
AngelicIceDiamond  +   226d ago
Imo, its just an money grab. I know some will buy it for next gen for the visual flare but like I said its just a simple money grab.
Irishguy95  +   226d ago
Haha, sony fans lopped up the 'HD remakes'. The only difference now is that Sony have even less of an excuse for the remakes. Because 720p doesn't look like **** on HD tv's. Its just a simple ->

"No you can't play Ps3 games on Ps4. Tough ****. You must buy them again, and when we implement our cloud system you must pay a fee to play them again."

Or you could just keep your Ps3 and stop feeding the habitual cash grab HD remastered games

Lucky for me I'm a PC gamer. So last gen I could play all PS2 games in HD through PCSX2.
PC > Consoles

Oh don't worry infected, I loved uncharted and the last of us. I didn't say i'm only a PC gamer. How was all those strategy games? Total war? Sins of a Solar empire? Oh wait -> Consoles don't do strategy games.
#1.8 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(21) | Report | Reply
The_Infected  +   226d ago
@Irishguy95

"Lucky for me I'm a PC gamer."

Lucky for us we don't care. How was the Uncharted series? What about The Last of Us? Oh that's right those were only on PS3 along with other amazing games.
#1.8.1 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(3) | Report
The_Infected  +   226d ago
@Irishguy95

"Edit- Cared enough to comment that you don't care. I just thought I'd let you know that Sony's advanced next gen PS4 doesn't play PS2 games. And my PC does."

If I wanted to play old games I'd keep the old systems. Also Gaikai will bring those and no one knows how much we will have to pay for those games yet.

I don't hate PC gaming but the way you act just makes a PC gamer look bad.
#1.8.2 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report
guitarded77  +   226d ago
It takes far less resources to port over from PC to PS4/XBOX One, so it's effect on new development is minimal. I have no problem with it. The game's prices drop fast so it's not like we have to wait long to play them.

I've already played Tomb Raider, so I'll pass, but if they get Batman Arkham Origins on PS4/XBOX One, which could likely happen, I'd get it when the price drops. I do think they should have an entry point of $40 for a game that has been out for a year on last-gen.
turgore  +   226d ago
Not everyone played it on last gen consoles. Also, it is a good opportunity for developers to get to know the new consoles.
isa_scout  +   226d ago
You had me all the way up until you said TLOU. I would gladly pay full price to play TLOU on my PS4 with upgraded visuals.
In the end I'll probably still buy Tomb Raider for my PS4 on the 28th. It's not like anything else is coming out, and I'm getting bored. Where are those indie games that were supposed to keep us busy after launch?
If anything this is a blessing. I don't know about the rest of you but I've beaten Resogun so many damn times I'm starting to see it when I close my eyes at night. At least this is something different to play.
ZodTheRipper  +   226d ago
You really would? I don't know ...I'm truly in love with this game (#1 on my "Best PS3 Games"-list) but here in Germany new games cost 70€ ...which is a lot for a game I finished 3x already. As I've said before, my pain threshold would be at about 40€ for real masterpieces like TLOU, Demon's Souls or God Of War 3.
staticdash22  +   226d ago
I don't understand this. The division, destiny, and dying light have been done before. SEVERAL times this gen. It would benefit you to look them up. There's nothing new about those games, except that new hardware has made the execution better. I've played games that have tried this singleplayer and multiplayer blend, but it didn't work out due to the limitation of the hardware
ZodTheRipper  +   226d ago
I know what you mean but still these concepts are somehow new and better than the re-release of a game we got a few months ago.

Dying Light has parkour elements which seem to work really well and change up the gameplay of Dead Rising.

Destiny is a shooter/RPG like Borderlands but with larger, persistant online worlds.

And The Division seems to be an open world game with many walkable buildings and a strongly improved presentation overall.
Flipgeneral  +   226d ago
Its the price point that bugs me. I would easily pay $30, maaaybe $40, but $60 is a little absurd.

Ill just wait a month when it drops to a more appropriate price.
thatgamereviews  +   226d ago
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is not a terrible idea, but considering the game got like no extra DLC or anything (other than for the subpar multiplayer) I don't really see the point of this beyond better graphics. If they actually made some changes like Deus Ex: HR Directors Cut than maybe it would be worth it. Still, it's a good deal for people who haven't bought the game yet and the graphics do look fantastic.

Also @conzul A Remember Me port for next-gen which had better graphics and made some changes to gameplay would be amazing.
#1.14 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Moz  +   226d ago
I doubt this has detracted much from development of TR2 as all the improvements to the engine will be from the work they are doing for the next game and this will generate extra cash to fund development
Qrphe  +   226d ago
Just don't buy them. If they flop then they'll learn the hard way. If people buy them and keep them alive, well, there'd be nothing we can do but see more coming.
wsoutlaw87  +   226d ago
Its no different than all the launch day ports that are out for next gen now. I didnt get a chance to play it yet so ill get this with all the dlc and better graphics. I wouldnt ever re buy it though.
#1.17 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Trekster_Gamer  +   226d ago
I enjoyed this game immensely on the 360 but there is no way in heck I will be spending 65 for hair folicles! If I could trade up for 10 then sure, otherwise I will wait for a much cheaper price!
dale_denton  +   226d ago
for a full price of $60 is a problem.. maybe $30 is the right price
nunley33  +   226d ago
There's a lot of great ps3 games I would love to play on the ps4. I bought Tomb Raider on ps3 and it's in the top 5 best games released in 2013,I would buy it again,especially if it had new trophies but it's unlikely.
dboyc310  +   225d ago
I would get a copy for the last of us simply because it's the only game I play right now on the ps3. Would love just having it on the ps4 since I'm only messing with battlefield 4 the most there.
Underworld  +   225d ago
Tomb Raider 2013 is a great game. Absolutely loved it. You should finish it. I have no problem with it being released on PS4, and I plan on buying it again. I'd also buy The Last of Us again if it comes to PS4.
avengers1978  +   225d ago
Yes they are, devs should be focused on making new games.
From there standpoint though I imagine it wouldn't take much effort to make an old game look better on the new consoles and I'm sure people will buy them again for 60$ so it's almost pure profit. I'd much rather see tomb raider 2 then a remake of tomb raider.

If you never played that "old" version you can pick it up for next to nothing. 10-15$
Relientk77  +   226d ago
I dont wanna see Next-Gen Re-Releases. I wanna see new IPs, and bring back the classics.

Legend of Dragoon 2
Grandia 4
MediEvil
Syphon Filter
Crash Bandicoot
etc
bggriffiths  +   226d ago
I'd love another Grandia game, especially as the third one never made it to Europe.

A decent return from Crash would be cool too, although Naughty Dog will be too busy. I wasn't a fan of the last one (not a ND game) where you had to hop on the back of other creatures.
twinspectre  +   226d ago
AMEN Classics are 1000000 better
mhunterjr  +   226d ago
This game in particular seems like a decent title to re-release. I haven't played it yet, just haven't found the time, and apparently, it was under appreciated at retail, despite being well received critically.
#3 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
bggriffiths  +   226d ago
I think it sold quite well, but fell below Square's ridiculously high sales expectations from what I remember reading in one of their quarterly reports. If you've not played it yet though you're in for a treat!
mhunterjr  +   226d ago
Just read up on it, they were expecting 5-6 mil in one month. That IS ridiculous. They did create a quality title, and had they not let the franchise go stale until recently, it would have probably had enough mindshare to hang with games like Uncharted.

I think a re-release, followed by a proper sequel will do good for mindshare. I'll probably wait for the xb1 version to experience this game.
Bigpappy  +   226d ago
I like would buy old franchises it the developers are willing and able to change the gameplay and A.I enough to make the game feel fresh. You can uses the same universe but don't just try to continue with more of the same. Make the challenge completely different by making the A.I very unpredictable (attack differently and set different traps); Give the main character different options as to how to approach and modify the ones they already had (change the bullets so they do different things on impact; give the player more options and control over stealth kills). There are a lot of ways to refresh and old franchise. The developer just needs to be creative or get help with new ideas.
Flipgeneral  +   226d ago
Yeah, I agree with you. Its sad how their main points of interest are graphical improvements
Hellsvacancy  +   226d ago
Most of us do it now with these HD Collections, I'm actually waiting on FFXHD, can't wait to play it again with sharper visuals

It's hard to let go of good games sometimes, i'd kill for a updated version of Populous The Beginning
Gamesgbkiller  +   226d ago
If they can really make a huge difference, why not :)

I didn't play TR so picking it on next gen is a good choice.
skyrimer  +   226d ago
If the improvement is noteworthy and at an affordable price, why not.
4logpc  +   226d ago
For $60 yes.
mushroomwig  +   226d ago
The problem I have with these re-releases is that there are still so many games I've yet to play on the PS3 so do I wait for a game to be possibly re-released or play the game now on the older system? It's a difficult choice. I still desperately want to play The Last Of Us but again, do I wait for a possible PS4 re-release or play it now?
fattyuk  +   226d ago
Id be very surprised if tlou was re released so soon if at all, I can't see any Sony first party studios needing to milk re-releases like, and considering tlou is part of the back catalogue on the ps3 that's where it needs to stay

Plus it already looks fantastic on ps3!
fattyuk  +   226d ago
A re-release of a game released what, 9months ago?

I enjoyed tomb raider don't get me wrong, will I buy it again? No, and if I hadn't already played it would I want to pay for this definitive edition, or just pick it up cheap on the ps3/360?

As for the multiplayer content, is multiplayer even alive on consoles? and even more still will it be busy on the new consoles? doubt it.
creeping judas  +   226d ago
Wait what? There was MP in Tomb Raider? I had no idea?
No_Pantaloons  +   226d ago
Yea, its a bad idea. People who wanted it would already have it, and those that weren't sure will likely look to the older version since it will be noticeably cheaper.
tigertron  +   226d ago
I didn't bother playing TR on the PS3/360 so I'll be buying this on the PS4 with all the DLC and better graphics.
ForgivenZombie  +   226d ago
I would like to see some HD remakes of some awesome classic games like KOTOR 1 & 2, Tales of Vesperia and Lunar silver star story complete and wouldn't mind a re do of the mass effect trilogy.
#13 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Lucreto  +   226d ago
I agree with Mass Effect and possibly Dragon Age. They ran okay on PS3 but loading times were abysmal. High resolution textures and 1080p with short load times would do.
MrTrololo  +   226d ago
Bioware game were meant to be play on PC
Trekster_Gamer  +   226d ago
Yet they far and away sold better on consoles!
Lucreto  +   226d ago
It depends on the game. Tomb Raider, GTA V, the Last of Us and a few other late last Generation games that would have benefited on the next generation hardware.

But I am not going to pay €60 to play it again. I will wait for a sale in June where there is s drought of games.
psDrake  +   226d ago
Think about this way : there is no quality game coming to either next-gen consoles for at least 2 months. ( I guess DriveClub coming in February )

So it's not a bad idea to release a great game in next gen with better graphs.

It won't sell millions but it will sell enough to make profit. I have enjoyed Tomb Raider on my ps3 and I thought graphs were great for current gen, next gen will look even better.

Agree with the pricing, it should have been $30 or $40.
#15 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
InTheLab  +   226d ago
This game isn't even a year old. Of course there should be a port for current gen.

I'd bet we won't be having this conversation if GTA 5 got a port.
Edi007  +   226d ago
all the best games from battlefield 3 to GTA5 neet to be release for ps4 and xbone because they wasnt for ps360 they just downgrade the grafics for them
CaulkSlap  +   226d ago
I dunno I think it's a fine idea for many games. We've gotten to the point where making new games is prohibitively expensive and risky. I don't have any problem with them spending a more minimal effort to remaster good games. The market on PS3/360 is so flooded now that plenty of people overlooked Tomb Raider who would have loved it.
bromtown  +   226d ago
No, but with a few caveats

Must be reasonably priced: it's an old game most people have already played, and is also most likely already available on steam with these graphics for about $16, so don't charge me $60.

Don't do every game just for the sake of it: I'd like series to come out, and have actual work done to them. For example, Mass Effect - if every game had a uniform UI and the same graphical look it'd be worth getting, maybe some cut dialogue for a "Directors cut" feel. But if you're just going to release games that missed next gen by a few weeks or months and uncompress a few textures, don't waste my time.

But generally I like it, if it's done right. There isn't a lot to play at the beginning of a consoles life, so these would fill the gap nicely. Also give smaller studios the opportunity to work on big games on the new hardware (like United Front Games working with Square Enix on the Tomb Raider upres).
isarai  +   226d ago
i REALLY don't see the problem with it, especially since chances are it will be a cheaper release. fans get what they want, devs get money without losing too much money/resources, and it really doesn't effect development of other games the studio may have in development as it's a pretty small team worth of work and in most cases is handled by external teams.
Spontogical  +   226d ago
I don't see the problem with this.. whether you think it's a money grab or not - I doubt even 10% of it's PS4/XOne sales will be from people who played it on PS3 and 360. 90%+ of its sales will be from people who haven't played the game yet, but had it on their wishlist - I.e me...

I could get it for PS3.. but now I'll wait for the PS4 version.. I don't see the problem.
ColeMacGrath  +   226d ago
Depends on the game itself. I, personally, would love to play remakes of my favorite PS3 exclusives on PS4 (i.e. inFamous 2 and Uncharted 3), but that's probably never going to happen unless Gaikai works it out, either way, it's completely fine.
#22 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Rageanitus  +   226d ago
Get them on PC they are better and cheaper, and dont really require a powerhouse of a machine!

This is why it is good to have an open mind for all gaming platforms. The PC allows is backwards compatable, and we dont have to worry about REPURCHASE to get un part with higher quality.

Since there is no backwards compatiblity I would be nice to have the 1st party titles remade (not just a simple resolution update)
#23 (Edited 226d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Ipunchbabiesforfun  +   226d ago
"It's a money grab"

So many investors and smart people in here, where did you come up with your ASTUTE observations?? Of course it's a money grab, everything a business does is a money grab, their job is to make money after all. Simply porting over a game that takes a very small team most likely is a smart idea. The risk to reward ratio is minimal in this instance.

But most importantly it adds games to a new system for people to play if they'd like. Just because you played it doesn't mean everyone else did. I haven't played it and so for someone like me seeing a next gen version of a game I haven't had a chance to try is cool.
Outlaw1986  +   226d ago
I'm probably going to get this since I didn't play the 360/ ps3 version and it's the only game that comes out in January that I want.
Tru_Blu  +   225d ago
Nice avatar. And ya same, I didn't play it on PS3 and since BF4 is a joke Killzone is the only game in town till it comes out. I'm buying it
jacksjus  +   226d ago
I have to agree with this writer. The game should be $30-$40 tops.
Drummerdude41  +   226d ago
Just from my perspective I would say yes. It's purely a way for companies to make quick money. As a 3d model artist i would rather be spending my time designing environments, gear, characters etc.. for new and undeveloped games as opposed to fine tuning work that has already been done. Resources could be spent to push the gaming industry forward but lack of innovation in the right areas has created a bottleneck fueled by an oppressive market place. The greed that creates coercion from these companies is becoming very stifling and has pushed me to loose respect for once beloved game companies.
N311V  +   226d ago
I have no problem with last-gen rereleases. Most people that have a problem with the price are those that played the game last-gen. I'm one of those people but I'm ok with waiting for a price drop. If I hadn't played Tomb Raider last-gen I'd be happy to pay full price.
DarKnightDave  +   226d ago
They need to focus on the next chapter of the story. I loved Tomb Raider, it was 1 of my favorite games of 2013, but I want a sequel, not play the same game over again.
jahfen83  +   226d ago
The only thing bad about it is they charging full price.
« 1 2 3 »

Game Idealist's Nyko Power Pack: Dual Shock 4 external battery for PS4 review

1m ago - The Nyko Power Pack is said to add more battery life to the Dual Shock 4 controller of the PlaySt... | PS4

Spawn On Me Episode 23: You're Flamingo Teeth, Lisa Brown

7m ago - Insomniac's Lisa Brown visits us here Brookago to talk about their new game, Slow Down Bull. We f... | Culture

Naruto Storm Revolution: Sakura and Kakashi Screenshots Part 2

7m ago - Bandai Namco Games has released another 8 screenshots. | PC

Twitch.TV Now Integrated into Runescape; First Browser-based Game to Integrate Twitch.

7m ago - Jagex, creators of one of the world’s largest free MMORPG games in Runescape, has announced today... | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

Danganronpa Double Pack Announced For Asian Territories

17m ago - A Danganronpa Double Pack has been announced today for Asian territories, including the two games... | PS Vita