Submitted by s8anicslayer 232d ago | opinion piece

Why It Matters That PS4 Games Are Higher-Resolution Than Xbox One

The graphics battle between the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 has been raging for months. Here at the start of December, with the consoles finally loose in the wild, one thing is certain: Several big games run at a higher resolution on PS4 than on Xbox One. (Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, PS4, Xbox One)

Enemy  +   232d ago
Doesn't take a genius to understand why. They look better, the end.
Angels3785   232d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(2)
s8anicslayer  +   232d ago
True, but an article like this coming from Kotaku is as rare as a meteorite!
dedicatedtogamers  +   232d ago
The whole Resolutiongate situation is full of contradictions. Suddenly, resolution doesn't matter, except that it DID matter when - for instance - a PS3 version of a multiplat had lower resolution than the 360 version.

And yet, for the past 7 years, console gamers have been saying that 1080p doesn't matter (because PC gamers would often point out that PS3/360 games were sub-HD).

It's par for the course, I guess. Every time a new generation rolls around, new loyalties are made and new palms are greased.
pyramidshead  +   232d ago
Also shows which console is more capable.
Xsilver  +   232d ago
Kotaku-
"On Xbox One the game is jaggy and blurry by comparison, and the overall experience feels a lot like playing an Xbox 360 Call of Duty game. If I'd bought Ghosts as the one big game for my new Xbox One, I'd be bummed."

Well this Sums up why Resolution matter's.
#1.4 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Angels3785  +   232d ago
It matters because Its a better looking game! Clearer looking! and on a CHEAPER system!!
#2 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
S2Killinit  +   232d ago
ummm because higher resolution is better? ding ding ding jackpot
S2Killinit  +   232d ago
whats with the disagrees? I mean, can anyone argue that lower resolution is better? lol
#3.1 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
curtis92  +   232d ago
They can if they just spent $500
S2Killinit  +   232d ago
LOL that comment is Gold
Neonridr  +   232d ago
It matters sure, but only when you are comparing the same game, and moreso at the same time.

If you were to only have an Xbox One in your household and you played AC4, I bet you would still be impressed with the 900p graphics. Sure it's not 1080p like the PS4 version. But if you don't have a PS4 sitting right beside you playing the same game, you're not going to know exactly what you are missing.

Now before anyone jumps on me, I am not saying that it's better to play the Xbox One version, I have a PS4 and I am happy that currently all the multiplatform games seem to be running better on the PS4 and at a higher resolution, I am merely stating that there is no reason an Xbox One user can't enjoy BF4, AC4, etc on their console. The graphics will still be a significant leap over last gen in terms of overall fidelity and complexity.

So ultimately it only matters to the person playing the game. If all they have is an Xbox One, then they are going to enjoy the games they get to play. Sure it might not look as good as the PS4 version, but that doesn't mean the game should be any less fun to play.
AHall88  +   232d ago
It matters in the long run.

The differences may not be anything big right now, but by the end of this generation the gap between the PS4 and X1 is likely to be huge.
Unless, of course, Microsoft pulls this again;

"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available," it reads.

"If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."
Just replace Xbox 360 with Xbox One.

But a threat like that might not hold much weight if the PS4 keeps out selling them.
travelguy2k  +   232d ago
Right now the publishers are in the drivers seat. Publishers can make or break a console if they chose not to support it. Its too early for Microsoft (or Sony) to even enforce something like that even if they had it.
DoctorJones  +   232d ago
That's why I love 4k.

I don't have a 4k screen, I just love it. Because it's 4k.

I'm gonna say it again.

4k.
thereapersson  +   232d ago
Pssh, 4k is soooo last week, bro. I've already moved onto 8k!
DoctorJones  +   232d ago
8k!

that's like..... *works it out* .....twice as much!

Wow!

You're living the dream.
travelguy2k  +   232d ago
8K is 4x 4K not twice as much... quadruple.
DoctorJones  +   232d ago
@travelguy2k

You have just blew my mind. 4x4k?

Blown. Just blown.
Corpser  +   232d ago
Even if you don't have 4k screen now, anytime you decide to get one you'll have tons of games on pc that support 4k, same can't be said for consoles. And a 4k 60' TV doesn't cost $25000 anymore, it's now $3000 and dropping fast
SpinalRemains138  +   232d ago
A 4k screen?
lol ok

They're only a few grand now right?
#5.2.1 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
s8anicslayer  +   232d ago
Not many people have a 4K device, so that pretty much has no footing
Corpser  +   232d ago
Does it matter the same games run in higher resolution and frame rate on PC?
Angels3785  +   232d ago
*has the possibility to

there fixed

Not everyone has a high end rig or even a decent one! My old rig (I had for 3 years before upgrading) could not do it. NOW however is a different story.

But yes it does matter PC can run it better...thats why no one disputes PC games are superior...They just are. Sometimes you get a console game that gets somewhat on par with pc, but not often and I said "SOMEWHAT"

The reality is PC is not a console...so when console comparisons are done it isn't the one under the microscope
#6.1 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Corpser  +   232d ago
You hardly need a high end rig to play bf4 in > 900p or ac4 in >30 fps
MidnytRain  +   232d ago
Saying not everyone owns a high end rig is like saying not everyone owns a console.
#6.1.2 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report
dp277407  +   232d ago
I have a nice gaming PC and I'll sometimes buy a multiplatform game on it but usually I buy consoles for the exclusives and at the end of the day it doesnt matter what the console is or how many Titans are crammed in your PC's ass but the experience of the games you've played....like the upcoming Titanfall or Infamous, or Gone Home and the Last of Us.
sandman224  +   232d ago
It matters because we waited for next gen to come out thinking 1080p would be standard along with 60 frames. And when you find out they can't do it, it disappoints us. Also Xbox one version of ghost runs smoother due to resolution being 720p. On ps4 it's 1080p and frame rates drop a little. I'm sure if ps4 was running ghost at 720p it would run with no frame drops. The question is what if Xbox one version ran at native 1080p like ps4 version? How bad would the frame rate be? Think about that.
dp277407  +   232d ago
I seen an article and I dont know how true it is but it seems the ps4 was running the game at a higher framerate and the refresh rate or whatever on the cables and tv system were the reason it appeared like a frame drop.
thereapersson  +   232d ago
regarding ghosts, that's a software issue, not a hardware issue.
ape007  +   232d ago
pretty simple thinking, CoD ghosts is utterly poorly optimized, i have it on ps4, other than sharpness, the game inside is unbelievably outdated (im a huge cod fan btw)

it's a disaster to think that ghosts took ps4 and X1 to their limits

my friend has a PC that's a bit stronger than ps4 and he can't run ghosts at 60FPS

as a huge CoD fan i say CoD soul is DEAD, they can bring it back, the sales are higher than ever but they're lazy as F
#7.3 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Kemistri  +   232d ago
The stuttering or juddering that Ghosts experiences on the PS4 is due to the frame rates EXCEEDING 60FPS, which actually affects the network code, which in turn causes what appears to be frames being dropped.

This is due to the engine it's using (q3 engine, although heavily modified).

I had the same issue years ago when I played Quake 3 regularly (rocket arena anyone?). I built a pretty sweet machine and uncapped the frame rate meter just for kicks to see what FPS I could achieve. The games default was set to max out at 100fps. A common practice to set the cap to 125, which allowed for jumping higher (slightly).

Uncapping the frame rate had the potential of hitting 300+ fps which caused the game to stutter and lag up, especially online.

This is exactly the issue the PS4 is running into. Its just poorly optimized. Heck, so is the xbox one's version.

Anyway, just food for thought.
#7.4 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Si-Fly  +   232d ago
If anyone in the UK is regretting their choice of buying an Xbox One you might be interested to know that there's a well known second hand games store currently buying them in at a higher price than the RRP, I made 55 quid selling mine :)
thereapersson  +   232d ago
Why did you sell it when it just launched? Wouldn't you want to wait a bit longer for more games before you make a decision? That's like someone saying they sold their launch PS4 because of the launch games library.
tagan8tr  +   232d ago
If I had to guess I'd say resolution matters to him.
hankmoody  +   232d ago
Yawn.
Why o why  +   232d ago
Of course......we already know higher resolutions matter because of how a faction lauded those differences last gen... its like beating a dead horse. It matters...keep it moving
gamingisnotacrime  +   232d ago
It matters to me, I have a ps4 and it pleases me to get multiplat games looking better. I wont grt a x1 so thebetter resolution is icing on the cake
Software_Lover  +   232d ago
Sooooooo if the X1 had the better resolution it would make your ps4 games crap?
gamingisnotacrime  +   232d ago
It just would not have the icing. I play the games and anything that improves the experience I enjoy
Software_Lover  +   232d ago
oh ok. I understand
ape007  +   232d ago
900p upscaled to 1080p looks as good as 1080p imo

u could easily say im damage controlling but i genuinely see it true, ryse at 900p upscaled looked as sharp as KZ sf and CoD ps4 and so does BF 900p on ps4( i have it)

if u disagree with me, you're welcome but please don't think im doing this in defense of X1

so if developers want to cut games to 900p in order to enhance other things, im all for it :)
#11 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
Software_Lover  +   232d ago
Ryse is a beautiful game in all aspects regardless of it's resolution.
MasterCornholio  +   232d ago
Its a shame that the framerate isn't very good. That to me one of the most important aspects of a game.
HaveAsandwich  +   232d ago
its also boring.
strickers  +   232d ago
All aspects? No. Framerate and animation are below the standards of lighting/ textures.
#11.1.3 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
Drekken  +   232d ago
I'm not saying Ryse isn't a pretty game. I am saying Ryse would be a prettier game at native 1080p. Anyone with a working brain realizes this.

You are wrong that upscaled looks as good. If you truly believe that, I hope you take another look... Upscaling never has the crispness of native resolutions. NEVER.

And yes... you are doing it in defense of X1. You defended the 360 all last gen. At least you are consistent.
ape007  +   232d ago
look i love all systems, each gen i have a favorite one,

anyways, 720p upscaled look definitely worse than 1080p native, i tried that on KZ SF, it's obvious but 900p upscaled show no difference in my view, BF4 ps4 and ryse look as sharp as 1080p, i don't know, maybe it's just me
#11.2.1 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report
_QQ_  +   232d ago
Because resolution matters now. remember when people tried to claim that Uncharted looks better than anything on PC not because of resolution or frame rate or textures but because art direction and design. well forget all that. that doesn't apply anymore.

I still care more about art style and Content in the game than resolution as long as its not below 720P.Look at forza5 they just had to get that 1080p 60 frames, now the crowds look like cardboard cutouts,on the other hand look at RYSE,Crytek did the oppisite of Forzas studio and downgraded Resolution to add more detail textures ect. best looking game on next gen consoles imo at 900p, although it plays like the worst lol.
#12 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Drekken  +   232d ago
Get off the soap box. One game, two consoles. One at 900p, one at 1080p. I want to own the 1080p version. End of the argument. It isn't anyone's fault but Microsoft's that their console can't put out 1080p when PS4 can.

I agree that I would rather have a 900p game looking like Ryse than a 1080p game looking like Forza, but as a consumer that wants one console the choice is obvious for me... I want the Sony exclusives and my multiplats in 1080p. And don't doubt for one second the PS4 couldn't run Ryse at 1080p Natively.
#12.1 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
_QQ_  +   232d ago
what about owning the 60fps version? or does that not matter yet.Don't get me wrong i would rather have the higher res version too,but i'm just pointing out for example on my PC i would bring down the Res a bit if needed to have max settings.
#12.1.1 (Edited 232d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
s8anicslayer  +   232d ago
I agree, why settle for less, when you can own the best for less?
strickers  +   232d ago
Killzone isn't 900p.
kingPoS  +   232d ago
I bought a 1080p TV set to enjoy 1080p content. Meanwhile 720p sets are still being sold today; 40 + inch 720p sets in 2013!! Can you believe it?

I guess some people really can't tell the difference, so there's that.

Gateway MT6706 2008
HolyDuck  +   232d ago
Why it doesn't matter

I don't care, I'm here to play games regardless of their resolution, games look great on both consoles, both experiences are great, why are articles like this still being made?
Lucifun  +   232d ago
I agree, I don't care how high the resolution is. If I can't enjoy playing the game, it's not worth it.
SpinalRemains138  +   232d ago
Of course it matters. When you make a purchase of 4 to 5 hundred dollars and another grand on your 1080p TV, you want to use that 1080p aspect.

Right now, one of the consoles is 500 bucks for resolutions that are 8 years old. Come on.

I can understand enjoying the games and all, but that's not the sole issue. We are paying these corporations decent cabbage for a machine which lags behind the contemporary standards. How is that ok?

Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King Guide and Walkthrough

7m ago - Bryan Dawson (Prima Games): Namco Bandai released the highly anticipated Crown of the Sunken King... | PC

The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 4 Gets A Full Walkthrough

8m ago - The Walking Dead Season 2 has been going on strong. The many decisions you’ve had to make along y... | PC

Lucky Strike Event Returns In Knight’s Fable

8m ago - GTArcade today announced the return of the incredibly popular Lucky Strike event for the critical... | PC

League Of Angels Cross-Server Tournament Announced

9m ago - GTArcade are proud to announce exciting cross-server resource tycoon and team tournament events f... | PC

Sniper Elite III (PS4) Review

Now - Ken holds his breath and takes the shot with the latest Sniper Elite title. | Promoted post

New Miiverse Update: Display Your Favorite Screenshot And Favorited Communities In Your Profile

10m ago - A new Miiverse update allows users to select their favorite screenshot to be displayed in their p... | Wii U