Submitted by allformats 328d ago | opinion piece

They give us 500 gigs and expect us to smile?!

Eurogamer: "So, the next generation of PlayStation and Xbox consoles have now gone on sale in many different parts of the world, and what have we got to show for it? Well, I don't know about you, but after spending many months writing this sort of thing, I now have this expression on whenever I run into anyone from Microsoft..." (PS4, Xbox One)

« 1 2 »
TomShoe  +   328d ago
With all these mandatory installs nowadays, that space is going to fill up QUICK.

Microsoft has time, since there are only a few games on the market as of now, but they need to get started before the backlash gets out of hand.
#1 (Edited 328d ago ) | Agree(25) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
GamerXD  +   328d ago
We need 2TB by 2015.
black0o  +   328d ago
there's one already from WD
Buljo  +   328d ago
I still have a 320GB HDD from 2007. I should get a new one though :D
mikeslemonade  +   328d ago
If PS4 came with a terabyte you wouldn't be smiling either if it was $449.99. Sony did there research. There's a reason for everything. 500GB is actually sufficient to the mainstream audience.

Right now I have 3 games and I downloaded the free games. The HDD is about half way used up. Which is consistent with the last generation. I was using my 60GB Xbox 360 and I would have the games I play which is usually at most 3. And if I'm running out of space I just make room because there's games I'm not playing anymore.

And then Sony allows you to easily access the HDD. I've done it already. I took out the HDD and stuff.. Sony chose the correct price point and the correct stuff to put in it to appeal to the critical mass.
slimeybrainboy  +   328d ago
You guys need to realise that if you're on N4G or IGN etc frequently, you probably are much more into games than the average mass consumer. Where as the mass buy a couple games a year, we are playing like 5 plus.

Most people wont need all 500GB for a good few years. You can't expect then to raise the cost and increase the hard drive size when the majority of customers would rather have a cheaper console. It's unreasonable.

People are so fucking whiney.
Lukas_Japonicus  +   328d ago
It's not too bad on PS4 because the installs are so damn quick, if i need to delete something it won't bother me because i know i can just be playing it again in like 30 seconds while it installs in the background.
Vitalogy  +   328d ago
If you're one of those gamers that jump between games very often that solution would become a pain but I guess it could work for others.
Sarcasm  +   328d ago
That and at least there's the option of upgrading on the PS4.

On the X1, not so.
black0o  +   328d ago
did u get ur PS4?
UnHoly_One  +   328d ago
XB1 is supposedly going to support External drives since you can't replace the internal one.
DragonKnight  +   328d ago
@UnHoly_One: Question is, does that support mean for installing games, or just backing up save data.
BKsecret  +   328d ago
No, xbone won't support external game saves because then that will allow people to download games and share it easily on the web.
UnHoly_One  +   326d ago
I wish I knew the answer to that, DragonKnight.

As far as I'm aware, I don't think they have ever clearly answered that question yet.

I would hope it would allow for installing games, because otherwise it is useless to me because I'm not one to keep a digital movie collection or anything like that.
Thegamer41  +   328d ago
But but bu... MS gave us unlimited cloud storage to store anything we want. /s

OT:
Im probably going to upgrade to a 2TB Solid State Hybrid Drive eventuality so 500GB isn't a problem at this point.
Aussie_Spectre  +   328d ago
Unfortunately there are no 2.5 2TB SSHD in existence at the moment the best SSHD you can do is a Seagate 1TB SSHD in 2.5, hopefully they will make a 2TB before you need to switch it out
#1.3.1 (Edited 328d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report
XtraTrstrL  +   328d ago
Yeah, SSHD seems the best performance to price ratio to go with. I've kind of decided on that from months ago, now just to find one that is 2TB in 2.5in size. I also have to find a damn launch edition PS4 available online at regular price also. I was suprised that the PS4 hdd is Sata II instead of III. Whatever though, just got a year of PS+ last night for $29.99. Downloaded some free PS3 games, now to just get my hands on an available PS4 for no more than $399.99.
M1ST4K3  +   328d ago
I don't think SSHD will be that impressive on a console (if someone keeps jumping from game to game...). If you play the same game over and over it will have the same effect as the SSD, ofc, or perhaps jumping between 2 or 3 games (it really depends on the density of the SSD cache). But I don't think it will have much of an impact (just speculation! no tests made by me... I've yet to receive my PS4 - monday! come on!!!)

Anyway, it's my first console (apart from Wii). How much space does a game usually take? What about an indie downloadable game? You guys are scaring me with those 500GB are not enough! xD I have 640GB on my PC and I have more than 15 games installed and still 100GB to go... welp, I hope it's not that OBLIGATORY to change HDD.
#1.3.3 (Edited 328d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
NeoTribe  +   328d ago
They only have a 1tb that I know of. Works great though. Didnt realise how large streaming and recorded files would be. A lot of my vids I recorded of bf4 are like 1g each or close. Crazy
Trekster_Gamer  +   328d ago
XB1 has the better and easier option. I prefer to just plug in a USB 3.0 HDD.. And keep the drive I have. Easier and you aren't stuck with the extra drive and having to move all of that data over.
TBONEJF  +   328d ago
THE POWER OF A LOCAL HARD DRIVE for the PS4.
#1.4 (Edited 328d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
MajorAly  +   328d ago
Please Understand....
Excalibur  +   328d ago
Sony makes it easy enough to upgrade but truth be told both of the systems should have started out with a 1TB HDD minimum.
AceBlazer13  +   328d ago
Yh i wouldn't mind paying a little extra for a bigger hdd pre installed.
MazzingerZ  +   328d ago
I guess MSFT will force you to "upgrade" via a new SKU while SONY lets you upgrade via just a new HDD

The cloud storage is as great as your speed connection allows it to be
#3.2 (Edited 328d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
jackanderson1985  +   328d ago
aren't both planning on allowing external drives sometime in 2014?
AD705  +   328d ago
@jack

external harddrives are very inconvenient for gaming. You'll just have some brick right beside your console that needs to be hooked up to it's own power source and external aren't as fast as internals.
MazzingerZ  +   328d ago
Yeah, external is not meant to functionally replace a HDD, it's nice to play up your rippad large song collection, pics and videos, stuff you want to reach via your consol althought not store...transfer of data is to slow to use it as a second HDD where data needs constanly be accessed
JohnnyBadfinger  +   328d ago
USB 3.0 is fucking fast. I have to use the external HDDon my 360 cause I have the launch addition I can't fit bf3 on my removable HDD. And the external HDD is just as if not faster at accessing the memory.
Stsonic  +   328d ago
I don't see 500GB on PS4 as I problem unless you buy all digital games. You don't even notice the installs from disc.
Sarcasm  +   328d ago
In case you didn't know, all PS4 disc games installs onto the entire HDD automatically.
Stsonic  +   328d ago
I do know. when it is near full it will make space by deleting an old install. It is seemless all in the background whch is why i dont see 500GB as a problem.

Xbox one takes at least 10 minutes to install from disk where as ps4 is instant play.
#4.1.1 (Edited 328d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report
Mikelarry  +   328d ago
the smart thing Sony did was to offer the option to upgrade your hard drive, i currently have a 1tb installed
L0wbanR  +   328d ago
I agree and also have a 1TB installed.
Underworld  +   328d ago
What did you do with the original 500gb? I plan on upgrading mine once I get a PS4, but not right away.
azshorty2003  +   328d ago
I got a 1TB as well. I think that will last me a decent bit.
SITH  +   328d ago
I have a two terabyte western digital external hard drive ready to go when Microsoft opens the ability up on the Xbox one.
MasterCornholio  +   328d ago
With USB 2.0 or 3.0?
SITH  +   328d ago
Both a USB 2.0, and 3.0 interface.
Triella  +   328d ago
If you think they gonna allow regular hard drives you will be disappointed, knowing MS business model it will probably require a proprietary (costly) HD.
#6.2 (Edited 328d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
fattyuk  +   328d ago
^^^^ Probalay? More like 100%

It will Probalay work like this:

1. Purchase Xbox one propieroty HD
2. Purchase how much memory you would like to use on it via micro transactions.
3. Must be a gold member.

Oh and it will only be for recording cable tv, wont work with anything gaming related
Trekster_Gamer  +   328d ago
You are just trolling, you really don't know.
MasterCornholio  +   328d ago
Well at least the HDD is replaceable in the PS4.
bornsinner  +   328d ago
i'm smiling..
isa_scout  +   328d ago
I already only have about 150 GBs left on my PS4. After downloading AC4,COD, and BF4 it doesn't leave you with much space. If a person wanted to DL all the launch games you actually would run out of space first.
When I boughtmy PS4 I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but there is no way I'm deleting 40GB games from my HDD and then redownloading them when I want to play them. It would take me a day and a half with my internet speed.
I can already tell I'll be upgrading my HDD in a matter of a month or so. I'll def have to do it before those big games start hitting in March. On a side note: Anyone have any idea when WarThunder will be hitting PS4???I heard the 29th but obviously it didn't come out. Sony needs to do a better job of informing consumers when games are delayed.
solidboss07  +   328d ago
If you are going to download rather than buy disc based media then that is up to you.
A bit like playing football while wearing your good Brogues, then complaining come the weekend cause they are scuffed.
I.e. buy a bigger hard drive, buy trainers or football boots.
#9.1 (Edited 328d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
MasterCornholio  +   328d ago
Warthunder is out in Europe and I can confirm this since I was playing the game last night.

P,S the trackpad acts like a mouse which is pretty freaky.
monkey nuts  +   328d ago
I can also confirm war thunder/ warframe and flower is out in the uk at least. You have to go to all games on the ps4 section of the store. You can add me if you need players for a party: psn - SPACEDRAG00N
xPhearR3dx  +   328d ago
EU only at the moment. Just make a temporary EU account and download it. Just make sure when creating the account you select "Yes" for Activating it as your primary PS4, or it will lock War Thunder to only that account. Once you begin downloading, you can switch back to your main account and it will continue to go in the background.

It's a pretty fun game, but the menus and UI are horrendous and extremely frustrating to navigate sometimes. You can tell the devs made no effort in making the UI/menus console friendly. Looks like I'm playing it on my PC lol
1nsomniac  +   328d ago
So your saying AC4, COD & BF4 are over 100gb 'each'??? - they're not.

I've downloaded all the apps, all the free to play games, all the PS+ games, then BF4, FIFA 14 & I've still got about 350gb free.

P.S. WarThunder is already out, it's one of the F2P games I've downloaded. It's a great game, guess it's not out in your region.
#9.5 (Edited 328d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
isa_scout  +   328d ago
It's not out in America yet, and I wasn't saying they are 100GBs each. I don't know what made you think I was saying that either.
You actually only start out with 408GBS on your HDD because of the OS.So once you factor in the 33GbCOD,22GbAC4,40GbBF4,28GbDC UO,Resogun,Contrast, and Warframe. That doesn't leave you with very much at all. Thats all I was saying because I downloaded everything that I could, and its just kind of upsetting that after a week and a half I'm already having to worry about space.
1nsomniac  +   327d ago
Fair enough, I'm sure all those games will keep you busy enough for a while though. Which is probably a good thing as I doubt they'll be any more decent games coming out until maybe February/March time.
solidboss07  +   328d ago
More would definitely be better, but come on, PS4 is great value. You can also upgrade your HDD. Do not doubt that later models will offer more storage space. Early days, but if 500GB of storage is your main concern with both consoles then that is good.
CyrusLemont  +   328d ago
I wish they had made it 3.5" compatible, it seemed like a no brainer. Could have installed a 4TB drive in there. Ooft.
Mithan  +   328d ago
500GB was crap.

750-1TB is where it should of been, with cases designed to be easily upgraded.

Anyways whatever.
EazyDuz22   328d ago | Immature | show | Replies(1)
CocoWolfie  +   328d ago
yeah id recommend replacing your hard drive :p its easy enough and you can sell your 500gb for what ever they go for these days.
monkey nuts  +   328d ago
Unless you need to send your ps4 back to sony for repair, in which case you need to put the 500gb drive back in. Had to do it for my ps3, I'd recommend buying a HDD enclosure and using the 500gb for storage purposes.
Vanfernal  +   328d ago
I say they give us 500 gigs and expect us not to bitch. As they should. They made systems this gen noticeably cheaper than last gen and the 500 gigs are more of a place holder until you can update to a bigger hdd. I don't know bitching about the hdd seems like nitpicking to me. I'm a proud owner of a PS4 and got an SSHD for cheap during Black Friday and couldn't be happier. Yeah it's true 500 is not a lot. But it's more than adequate for initial use
monkey nuts  +   328d ago
I'm sure I read somewhere that solid state drives would be a risky proposition for console purposes as they only have a limited read/write usage. Consoles repeatedly read/write to the HDD given the nature of game assets and such where as a PC users keep the os and such on a ssd vastly improving loading times, and games etc on normal hard drives lessening the usage of the SSD. I may be wrong, but this is n4g, peoples know things. A representative of the master race will point out my lack of knowledge on the subject in no time at all.

*waits*
Vanfernal  +   328d ago
I got a solid state hybrid drive, not a standard sdd. It's basically the speed of an sdd with an actual hdd for storage. I read some articles about it and it's a good alternative. The performance is pretty much on par with sdd.
TomahawkX  +   328d ago
Just like the PS3 the HD size will increase overtime on new PS4s. Perhaps we will see a 1TB PS4 next Christmas and eventually 2TB. Early adopters get screwed with higher prices and smaller hard drives.
JasonKCK  +   328d ago
500gb on X1/PS4 is kinda sad when you consider the size of the games. I have an old 500gb that I use for GoG, F2P and old disc PC games that's nearly full. The old HDD has about 40+ games, mods, maps and patches that range from 300mb to 5gb. 20-40gb console games would fill that up in a heartbeat.

When I built my PC back in May, I thought ahead and was luckily able to get my hands on two 2tb drives for $60 each. HDD's are made so cheap nowadays that MS and Sony really have no excuse for putting a 500gb in the box.

In about 6 months the PS4/X1 launch games will be cheap while MS/Sony roll out the second wave of games. Gamers are going to feel the hurt when they have to constantly uninstall/install to make room for the games and DLC. That's a lot of wasted time installing when they could be playing.
buynit  +   328d ago
Yea 500 gigs is bs considering they promote dd so much
lonelyplayer  +   328d ago
I think both are going to implement auto delete of old installs when the dish is running out of space.

Anyway, I swapped mine for a 1.5GB disk.
MadMen  +   328d ago
I agree that 1TB should have been standard. 500GB is weak.

But this article lost my attention at the word WiiU.
SpinalRemains138  +   328d ago
The PS4 will install a game rapidly, playable in 20 seconds.

That is the same as going to another room to fetch the disc you forgot.

There's no problem here. Only a manufactured problem because people need something to whine about.

I could see the argument if games took 3 hours to install or the HDD wasn't upgradable, but neither of those issues exist.
tigertron  +   328d ago
I've only had it a day and I'm on 407GB. 0.o
1nsomniac  +   328d ago
I'm guessing that's 407GB free?

500gb is fine for now, at very least you'll get 10-15 games on their which is more than plenty until further down the line when you can upgrade it.
chaosdemon09  +   328d ago
Lol you guys are nuts.. I'm coming from a 60gb ps3 so I know how to manage my space. I'm fine with 500gb. Would have it been nice to have a TB? Of course.. but 500gb is perfectly fine.I wish people would stop raging over these consoles for every little thing.
LAWSON72  +   328d ago
This is something worth raging over. They could have fitted the console with a removable HDD but they did not. I personally hate deleting games and their content. IMO I would not consider this console until a very large HDD is added or at least the feature of adding one. Games are getting very large I recently installed Ghosts, Batman AO, Battlefield 4, and AC4 each one was over 20GB most were close to 30GB. (PC versions)

On my PC I have over 600GB of video games and I dont have to delete them because I have the choice to add more something the Xbone does not provide while the PS4 does. The console is so huge hell it should have two HDD bays, take advantage of the large ass design.
#22.1 (Edited 328d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
chaosdemon09  +   328d ago
Bleh who cares about the xbone.. I'm talking about a ps3 and ps4. Ps4 u can remove the drive if your the type that likes keeping every game installed on your hard drive. Me personilty once I'm done with a game I uninstall it but keep the save data. So if I need to play it again I just install it again. People keep compairing it to a PC. It's not the same thing when it comes to a console at least in my point of view. My PC I wanna save things which is why I have external drives and a 2tb hard drive. But console wise.. You can always redownload it if need be or reinstall.
LAWSON72  +   328d ago
@chaos
Unless you pirate or download no drm games only, you can install/reinstall just as easily do it on Steam, Origin, and even Uplay. Same goes with all other forms of media on PC
No_Pantaloons  +   328d ago
500gb is fine middle of the road for a system to come with. I use my computer for most media so I dont even come close to using 500gb on my ps3. Some people want more thats fine, but they'll likely buy their own 2-4TB anyways, I'd be more interested in buying a 240GB SSD if they can optimize it to actually give a decent boost in load times.

You cant please everyone, but I think 500gb is pretty fair all around.
mochachino   328d ago | Bad language | show | Replies(1)
SHExLOOKEDx18  +   328d ago
Does anybody know if a digital download of a game takes up the same storage space as using a disc and doing that mandatory install? If so we might as well just go all digital..
LAWSON72  +   328d ago
I am guessing yes. It really comes down to if you like to have physical copies and.or the ability to resell them. Or take advantage of digital and not require the disc at all.
Or go a little crazy and buy the box on ebay for a cheap price then buy digital, lol
#25.1 (Edited 328d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SHExLOOKEDx18  +   328d ago
Very true. I always liked having the artwork and everything and being able to show off your collection to friends haha
JasonKCK  +   328d ago
It's about the same right now. Digital games will most likely get compressed more and more over time saving space. Sony and MS started doing that on 360 and PS3 while Steam has been doing it for a while.
BKsecret  +   328d ago
LOL my original PS3 had 40gb.
Sadist3  +   328d ago
I don't know if you guys know this, but there's this thing you can do where you actually delete the game from the hard drive once you're finished playing it. Actually pretty genius. Common sense right? If you're not playing the game then delete it? See how easy that is to grasp.
boldscot  +   328d ago
Came here to say that, simple really. Delete the games your not playing, stop hoarding them on your HDD.
DoubleM70  +   328d ago
Microsoft is going to allow external hard drives it suppose to be in the Spring update. You already can store games on a a 360 by USB if you like. Up to 32GB is allowed wich is the equvalent to about 4 games.
PharaohX  +   328d ago
Not loosing sleep over the my hard drive is bigger than your hard drive stupidity.
320 gigs lasted me 4 years. 500 gigs will too. I'm only gonna download indie games and they usually run pretty small in size. Just a few gigs. I'll be fine.
« 1 2 »

Just Dance 2015 Review (PopBucket)

8m ago - PopBucket writes: Another great selection of songs and some good new features improves upon the J... | Wii

Chadley Plays Doom

38m ago - Chadley of Punch Nerds battles through the depths of hell in this Halloween themed episode of Cha... | Retro

Luis Suárez’s Ban Lifted in FIFA 15’s Ultimate Team

1h ago - EA Sports has tweeted that Luis Suárez, who had been banned from international and club football... | PC

Slow Zombies Suck, and This Video Proves it…

1h ago - Ever wonder why people are so scared of zombies that move as slow as snails? Well check out this... | Culture

Get a Free Kindle Fire HD!

Now - Check out details here! | Promoted post

Rugby Nations 15 for iOS and Android plus screens

1h ago - The best rugby football experience on mobile is back this November, just in time for 2015, with R... | iPhone