Submitted by darkride66 270d ago | news

XBox One early adopters reporting hardware problems

With today’s launch of Xbox One, some owners are discovering various problems with their next-gen console. An IGN reader's system is in an endless cycle of crashing and rebooting. Another has issues with his headset outputting nothing but static. Others have seen the "E100" notification, indicating a total hardware failure caused by an update error.

Other new Xbox One owners have reported numerous issues to the Xbox support message board, including concerning issues with disc drives, unusual sounds coming from the machine, more spontaneous system shutdowns, missing pixels, and blank or frozen screens. (Xbox One)

Update Update: One of IGN's office machines suffers from the same disc drive problem many have reported. When a disc is inserted, the Xbox One makes a grinding noise, but the disc is unaffected. However, Xbox One won't read any game discs. "Sorry, we can't play the disc," a notification says. "Try an Xbox One game, a music CD, or a movie on Blu-ray or DVD."

darkride66  +   270d ago
A see a few more issues here than just the disc drive problem and Green Screen of Death. This is the first I'd heard of some of the other issues being reported. Hope this ends up easy to sort out and isn't widespread. I guess time will tell. MS denied there were any problems with the 360 for over a year originally and extended their warranty twice so it's not like they've historically been very open about these types of issues.

Remember these days?

"Microsoft went on to concede: "That being said, we have received a few isolated reports of consoles not working as expected.

"It's important to note that there is no systemic issue with Xbox 360 - each incident is unique and these customer inquiries are being handled on a case-by-case basis."

Microsoft has not revealed details of how many Xbox 360 units have been found faulty, but did state that the return rate is "significantly lower" than the CE industry average of between 3 and 5 per cent."

I was one of those "isolated" cases after buying into MS's denials and believing all the noise was the internet just being the internet. I ended up on my 4th console before I finally just stopped playing it. 3 dead consoles will change your gaming habits.

I really do hope it's not an issue like what I went through. I wouldn't wish that frustration on any gamer.
#1 (Edited 270d ago ) | Agree(34) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Kingthrash360  +   270d ago
green screen of death...dam that sounds bad.
hats off to all gamers with faulty consoles...well except the ones who mocked and jabbed at ps4 gamers having problems, this is nothing to be joking about imo...this is a nightmare for gamers who waited for their systems get home, open the box, smell that new console smell, over excitedly hook up the system, and bam! this happens.
i was too scared to hook my ps4 up, thank god mine has been running great so far.
CapraDemon  +   270d ago
let us hope than any faults are confined to thoose who trolled the PS4 issues
elmaton98  +   270d ago
Same thing happened to me. I was hesitating for 10 minutes but I hooked it up and hasn't had a problem so far.
Ezz2013  +   270d ago
did you guys see this

and happened to IGN as well
and when IGN told Microsoft about it :

""Microsoft customer support suggested IGN return the faulty unit to Amazon, for quicker results than going through Microsoft""

i'm lost for words here
creatchee  +   270d ago
I definitely think the disc drive thing is systemic. I have the "woodpecker" in mine and it won't read any media. When I contacted Microsoft, the CS guy said he had heard some of his colleagues getting reports of the same problem. He also kept confirming that I was in Florida, which made me wonder if it was a regional or batch issue.

Other than that, the console runs perfectly and Microsoft is sending me a loaner while mine is repaired so I won't have any downtime. I'm loving Killer Instinct and Assassin's Creed, and the voice commands/UI have worked quite well. I really like the console as a whole - just wish I could play my physical games lol
darkride66  +   270d ago
It's good that they at least sound on top of it this time out. When I had problems with my 3rd 360 console chewing up disks, that they had just shipped me as a replacement for a rrod, the agent on the phone tried to tell me that faulty disc drives weren't covered by the regular warranty.

Luckily I had bought an extended warranty from MS and they reluctantly sent me a new console, but it was like pulling teeth and I was never compensated for the 3 games it ruined before I figured out what was happening. This was all due to a replacement unit they had shipped me just 2 weeks prior. It was unbelievable.

It's certainly nice to hear your story and thanks for sharing. It's good to hear some good customer service experiences for a change. When something goes wrong your already frustrated enough. You don't need to then get attitude from people who are supposed to be helping you.
nategrigs  +   270d ago
My buddy in Florida has the same issue....
OrangePowerz  +   270d ago
There are a few more I have heard of such.as controllers not working or d-pad making a strange noise as well as Kinect not being recognized and graphic corruptions that show blue squares.

It's still isolated cases, but it does look like the Xbox has more unique issues while most PS4 issues where limited to mainly the same issues.
pyramidshead  +   270d ago
It's expected.
Snookies12  +   270d ago
My friend got one at midnight, hopefully his isn't messed up in any way. Sucks when you buy a new console and that happens.
#3 (Edited 270d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
svoulis  +   270d ago
I was worried about this when I got my PS4, and I'll be worried about it when I get the XO.

This stuff happens. I am going to give Microsoft one chance this generation. They proved that they could change their ways (with DRM ETC) and I went through 5 360's before I stopped trying with them.

Heres hoping. To all those that have gotten any faulty consoles PS4 or XO my condolences
chrissx  +   270d ago
This is always the risk in getting stuff on launch.never a good thing. Sucks for those early adopters hope it gets sorted out
#5 (Edited 270d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Belking  +   270d ago
Bogus. Same old stories rehashed around the web.
Idba  +   270d ago
Some of these issues have been around for a little while, but some of them are new. Like the missing pixels and static sound.
Kayant  +   270d ago
Oh my you're entertaining.

Keep living in your bubble in which you think there's something such as 0% failure rate when it comes to mass manufacturing
OrangePowerz  +   270d ago
Going all out with doom and gloom when a small amount of PS4 consoles break but whem the same happens to the Xbox it's bogus.

You must be one of those people to get jacked off when they go to the MisterXmedia and read all the fake "insider information" that makes the PS4 look bad.
#6.3 (Edited 270d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MasterCornholio  +   270d ago
Some Xbox Ones have hardware problems. Nothing that you say or do will eliminate them.

Deal with it
#6.4 (Edited 270d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
RiPPn  +   270d ago
@Belking: Amazing how your tone has changed, you were happy to pile on when reports of issues with the PS4 were happening, but when it's your beloved Microsoft it's "bogus?" Just like all the other Xbots. smh

By the way you use the word bogus way too much.
#6.5 (Edited 270d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
scott182  +   270d ago
Belking, what did you say when your mom told you santa claus wasn't real? Did it take a while for you?
nategrigs  +   270d ago
I'm not sure he's gotten to that point yet
solidt12  +   270d ago
He said Bogus. lol I couldnt help myself.
FITgamer  +   270d ago
"Bogus"? I now know your true identity... http://www.billandted.org/p...
fractured74  +   270d ago
mine runs perfect but i feel for those who don't
KNWS  +   270d ago
This is a joke, a few people report issues, everyone things the xb1 is failing for everyone. 99 per cent of people have no issues.

I'm a member of x box forum in my home country, and out of 200 or so members, 2 reported issues, one was an update problem, the other guy had a faulty battery pack.
G20WLY  +   270d ago
Who said "it's failing for everyone"?
skoorydook  +   270d ago
Yes the vast majority of Xbox One owners are happily gaming problem free, so are the vast majority of PS4 owners but in case it escaped your level of observation over the last week, the positive sides don't reach the head lines.
Newmanator  +   270d ago
@KNWS

By that logic, 2/200 = 1/100 = out of every hundred million consoles, ten million are broke. That's 10,000,000 out of 100,000,000. Not good!
Rocky5  +   270d ago
Not had any issues with mine, touch wood.

Loving Kinect & using my voice to jump about the place & I'm Scottish :-O it understands me!

Also a lot of people said the drive was noisy, mine is near silent when installing games.

Only issue I have had is the odd time when exiting a app when a game is backgrounded, it will pause for say 5 seconds but its rare.

All in all loving it.
S2Killinit  +   270d ago
wow and this is IGN here. if even they are reporting on this, it might actually be an issue. still only time can tell. but its definitely not a good sign.
Gameland  +   270d ago
Anybody here with an xbox one have a loud ticking and vibrating disc drive while reading discs? Mine works but very loud.
#11 (Edited 270d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Ashunderfire86  +   270d ago
Today when I was in my Game Design Class, someone brought in their Xbox One with the game Ryse and Assassin Creed. When he try to put in one of the game disc his X1 refused to use the disc. It keeps coming out the system just like some people experienced with theirs. But on the bright side at least the digital game copies are working though. He even call Microsoft about the problem(my teacher didn't mine but he is cool like that), and they gave him Free codes to download the games. He even ask people in class if they wanted the physical copies of those games for $40.00. Man if I also had an X1 he would of made my day. Right now I'm fine with my PS4.
#12 (Edited 270d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
JeffGUNZ  +   270d ago
I don't believe any of that. MS Forums are flooded with users who are at an EARLIEST 1-2 hour wait for a representative. Also, the games were not just ejecting, the main issue is the console brick dying and the system shuts off and won't turn on. Or, it would sound like it's scratching the game for about 5 seconds and then the screen says, "please insert disc". Lastly, MS is NOT giving out codes for digital downloads for games, they send the system to you with a return box for your bricked Xbox1 within 2-5 business days. If you think we believe that your classmate brought in an Xbox one and was able to get a hold of a representative immediately, you're not fooling anyone.

MS just giving codes away is complete BS too, the forums are flooded with people asking for the same thing and them saying they are not doing that. You have no idea how PR works, it's been out for like 12 hours, you really think they will just give sh*t away without even making a formal statement?!
Ashunderfire86  +   270d ago
Who I am fooling lol!!! Call Microsoft now, because they are giving out codes now as I write this. You tell me I have no idea for this, no idea for that. Man you are all over the place! Take a chill pill. I witness what happen to this man's X1 myself. I remember seeing the same thing in that one guys video on youtube. Calm your mouth down and call Microsoft.
#12.1.1 (Edited 270d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
testerg35  +   270d ago
hmm.. just bought mine as an xmas present. I don't really want to open to test.
HeavenlySnipes  +   270d ago
This is exactly what happened for the PS4

There are like 2000/1000000 people that report a problem (a fraction of 1%) then people blow it out of proportion

We don't know if this is a consistent widespread problem (yet) so people shouldn't be overreacting

Nothing has a 0% failure rate
rmedtx  +   270d ago
My cousin who's a Manager at a Gamestop posted in FB this morning that they had received a couple broken of Xbox One units already. Hopefully these are just isolated cases.
towelie1288  +   270d ago
Love my X1 no issues at all. Everything runs great. Voice commands are really impressive
Great gaming ahead
Nodoze  +   270d ago
After the abysmal failure rate last generation, anyone who rushed out to buy a 'day 1' edition is a complete tool.

Have fun beta testing.
CaulkSlap  +   270d ago
There's really no way to cost effectively test every completed unit and even then some problems don't show up until after extended use. 360 probably had a really low DOA failure rate. Until months later we find that nearly every unit will die quickly from thermal problems. Best they can do is design a good system and improve on the manufacturing process as problems are discovered. As long as the warranty and replacement process is good, then it's just something we'll have to deal with.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited – A Game Of Mutual Abuse

3m ago - Siliconera: Disgaea 4 didn’t abuse me just to make me grind, it wanted me to learn how to abuse i... | PS Vita

Golden Sun: The Lost Age Review

9m ago - Taking a look into the sequel to Golden Sun after being released onto the Wii U virtual console a... | Retro

The Puppygames Diatribe of Glory

10m ago - Hardcore Gamer: There’s a view that people in the public eye should always shut up and smile. To... | PC

Vagante Returns to Roguelike Roots with a Dash of ARPG Goodness | Hardcore Gamer

10m ago - Childlike fascination take you over as the parallax scrolling, delightfully pixellated intro cast... | PC

Win a Titan One from N4G and ConsoleTuner!

Now - We're giving away three Titan Ones from ConsoleTuner (original inventors of the Cronus and CronusMAX)! The Titan One device makes modded controller... | Promoted post

Sacred 3 Gameplay Interview

10m ago - Keen Games developer discusses Sacred 3, the new hack and slash RPG sequel from publisher Deep Si... | PC