Submitted by xHeavYx 531d ago | opinion piece

Xbox One Versus PlayStation 4: Too Close to Call?

Sony and Microsoft are both releasing their next-generation gaming consoles this month, just in time for the 2013 holiday shopping season. Sony’s PlayStation 4 lands on U.S. store shelves first, on Friday, while Microsoft’s Xbox One arrives the following Friday, November 22. (PS4, Xbox One)

xHeavYx  +   531d ago
I'd say it's not even close, the PS4 will dominate thanks to the lower price, the fact that it's more powerful, great first party studios and the fact that they don't need to concentrate in gimmicks that get old really fast.
MS can buy exclusives, promise that the cloud and Kinect are the best inventions ever even though the first one hasn't been shown working ( even if Turn 10 keeps praising it) and the second one has as much functionality as my remote controller+my thumb, but the fact is that Sony will dominate when it comes to gaming. MS may dominate in a few categories though, like most free apps behind a paywall, most returned Christmas etc
#1 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(61) | Disagree(21) | Report | Reply
blackbeld  +   531d ago
Agreed, I'd say the xbox is already dead.

Even Microsoft shareholders and CEO candidates wants to kill it.

zeal0us  +   531d ago
The reason some of the shareholders and Elop want kill or sell Xbox division because MS invest so much into the Xbox division. Possibly they don't deem the division profitable enough.

Oddly you don't hear these same people mentioning anything about WP8 or Surface. Which imho has been performing poor and has yet to become profitable for MS.

@Lord Maim
True but 8 is having a slower adaption rate than 7. Heck I think Vista even got more market-shares than 8.

@Bitby
Surface was definitely a costly blunder. I get MS wanted to stop Apple and Google onslaught in the tablet market but they went about it the wrong way. They should have left it up to the OEM rather than throwing their hat into the race.
#1.1.1 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report
LordMaim  +   531d ago
@zeal0us: Windows 8 and Surface don't generate PR debacles on a daily basis.
BitbyDeath  +   531d ago
@zeal0us,

The Surface $900 million blunder is the reason why Steve Balmer has to step down from his role as CEO.
#1.1.3 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report
stuna1  +   531d ago
People can't tell me it's nothing wrong with this scenario! I can't see how Microsoft could be viewed in the same context as Sony, simple looking at the space and time since both were unveiled. They have traveled in totally opposite direction to one another! One has been positively charged from the beginning, the other has been negatively charged from the beginning, yet people are saying they're the same! What kind of illogical/logic is this?

Microsoft has withheld information from the public that could affect their buying decision! Sony have been upfront.

Microsoft have lied about their machines specifications! Sony have been upfront.

Microsoft have lied about the resolution of games! Sony have been upfront.

Microsoft have been surrounded by cryptic NDA's! Sony hasn't been, if anything they've been restricted because of Microsoft's NDA's being in place.

Microsoft has failed at the simplest levels of trying to communicate a clear and truthful approach to why people should believe that they have their best interest at heart! Sony hasn't had that type of issue.

But yet they are too close to call!?
NateCole  +   531d ago
It will be close in NA and UK. Everywhere else is Sony domination.
HammadTheBeast  +   531d ago
PS4 overall is destroying XB1 at the moment. However.

People bring up the fact that launch isn't everything. And it's not.

However.

People forget that the major Sony studios have yet to show their games, while the remaining major game studio left for MS is Black Tusk (wildcard) and 343's Halo, which is not the same as Bungie's Halo 3 when it comes to pushing units.

It's not over, but let's not undermine Sony's lead with "too close to call".
#1.4 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
ABizzel1  +   531d ago
It's not going to be a close call until Microsoft gets the price down to about $349 - $399 ($379 magic number). I think Microsoft have no choice but to give Sony the early lead because they already chose the $499 price. Maybe holiday 2014 they'll find a way to drop the price and then we'll have a close call.
Soc5  +   531d ago
Yeah I gotta agree too
Price and Power simple as that, for me anyways.
Not into Ryse and Ill miss Forza, but its fine.
Oh and yeah what's with MS execs talking about killing off Xbox division? Is it really a good time to be talking about that? Right before launch? Sheesh
Godmars290  +   531d ago
Not by system performance nor pre-orders.

Quality of launch titles the difference is pretty much clear there as well, but again pre-orders would suggest their worth.
B-radical  +   531d ago
I prefer x1 launch titles.

Killzone doesn't look that fun but I hope it is a good game because I will probally pick it up next year. Knack is not my kinda game.

Looking forward to future x1 titles also. D4 HALO 5 Quantum break....Itching to see what black tusk studio's have planned.

But infamous second son looks to good to pass up hopefully will have my ps4 before then
#2.1 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(20) | Report | Reply
HammadTheBeast  +   531d ago
Titanfall is intriguing, but I have always loved KZ, despite 3 being pretty bad.

Anyways, GL with XBO.
#2.1.1 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(3) | Report
etownone  +   531d ago
Halo 5 !!!!!!

Can't wait!!!!

Here's hoping Ms sees the errors of their ways and release a Xbox One sans Kinect.

Whether is great or not.... It should not be forced. It's not needed. And it just gives Sony the price advantage.
DivineAssault  +   531d ago
i believe sony will absolutely crush M$.. Not at first because of all the loyalists that will go xb1 to prove a point but in the nx yr or so, sony will always be selling more consoles.. They might just take off & never let M$ even get a chance.. Who knows? What i do know is i had many MANY 360 friends that are switching over & of course my ps3 friends will stay home w sony.. Gone are the days i have to decide which console to buy a game on because my friends were divided.. Every1 now sees the value & greatness that awaits
#3 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
cyhm3112  +   531d ago
Sony will Crush MS from day 1. Why? Despite MS and its fan telling people otherwise, Most people know MS is releasing an obviously inferior console with inferior multiplatform games.
Kyur4ThePain  +   531d ago
Hahahahahahahahaha!
SpinalRemains138  +   531d ago
Bout as close as a Predator fighting a 7 year old armless girl.
B-radical  +   531d ago
What if the armless girl was jesus
TheDarpaChief  +   531d ago
Or donnie most
Bathyj  +   531d ago
Actually, its Don Most now.
SpinalRemains138  +   531d ago
Then she would not fight, but speak to the predator in kind, wise fashion. The predator does not understand what the girl is saying and he then examines her skull. It is 720p & he likes it and decides that she is a threat. He stabs her and with a surgically precise rip, he removes her spine and he is proud.
The Jesus girl is dead.....or is she?
#5.1.3 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report
cyclindk  +   531d ago
Jessicas
Jesica
Jesuca
Jesakeesha
Little JJ

She know kick boxing

And @SpinalRemains138

WTF bible you reading?! In mine Jesucuh kicks a$$ and lays blame. New New Testament stuff, post-apocalypse, new order, angelic Diarchy (rule of law and the administration of punishment overseen by the two "diarchs," highest angels." Overall rule by the will of THE JESUCH (the malevolent one).

Basic stuff, didn't you ever go to Thunday school? First and Second Malevolents, Ozzy to Manhattanites, Masturbation and other acceptable uses for WD-40? It's all in there.
#5.1.4 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
d_dogg2007  +   531d ago
Sony has given gamers over 15 yrs of quality gaming!! My decision is very simple! Have never owned an xbox and never will they don't put gamers first! Sony till I die simple as that!
Bathyj  +   531d ago
I've actually owned MORE Xboxes than Playstations cos I had to keep rebuying them but its pretty clear who is here because they love this industry and wants to/has already grown it, and who just came here to rape and pillage it.
NateCole  +   531d ago
Agree. Sony is a business but they do care much more than the others regarding the gaming industry.

Even with the hard times they have had they have not talked much about shutting down ps. In fact they invest even more in the gaming industry with the purchase of gaikai, purchasing and hiring more devs and greenlighting more franchise that generate more gaming business.

Sony for life indeed.
infectedaztec  +   531d ago
Have never owned an xbox and never will they don't put gamers first!

That is possibly the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. They are clearly trying to capture a wider audience this gen...but MS brought online multiplayer gaming to consoles (well they established it). I think online play was the best thing to hit consoles in the last 10 years
n4gamingm  +   531d ago
YOU SHALL ALL BE SHOCKED.........WHEN THE DUST SETTLE jk
honestly don't care just want to play next gen in general.
anythings better than the wii u
Hicken  +   531d ago
No one will be shocked. This is going to end as most people expect, barring something crazy happening.

Even MS fanboys won't be shocked. They'll just continue being in denial.
stuna1  +   531d ago
@n4gamingm

Why are we going to be shocked when the dust clears? Is the Xbox1 going to rip a tear in the space/time continuum, warp 100 years into the future, return 1 sec later, retrofitted with a warp core, power na' cells, holideck, photon torpedoes? Because if it does, I'd be the firsts to admit to being shocked.
Kavorklestein  +   531d ago
Does the PS4 have the ability to "rip a tear in the space/time continuum, warp 100 years into the future, return 1 sec later, retrofitted with a warp core, power na' cells, holideck, photon torpedoes?" ????

Sure in the fetch doesn't! But yet it would take ALL THAT for the Xbox 1 to surpise or Shock you? Haha Definition of a fanboy... Even when games like Ryse look comparable if not BETTER than some PS4 titles.. Not saying I know everything, or that the game Ryse is gonna be perfect, but Geez, just cuz it's something YOU might not play, does NOT mean the same holds true for everybody else.

Keep in mind also, that this "resolution-gate" hyper-fixation band-wagon trend, that supposedly makes the PS4 "Soooooooo Great" is just hot air up the ass, and/or Elitist nerd boner material, because while a game/s which many think is the worst Call of Duty Game like Ghosts, or another example like BF4, may be ever so slightly (debatable) not as graphically awe-inspiring one the Xbox One, is in many people's opinion inferior to Ryse's 900p graphics.
Bathyj  +   531d ago
HA!

Noooooo.
TheDarpaChief  +   531d ago
Too close to call? You're kidding me right? This gen hasn't even started yet and its an absolute blowout
Run_bare  +   531d ago
No its not, Sony winning as it should be.
Loki86  +   531d ago
Wow the comments in here, both consoles have big strengths and big weaknesses. MS got off to a rough start because of Mattrick's future, but after they started listening to gamers, this has turned into a solid machine. I think there will be skeptics of both systems and systems that are perfect for both groups. I honestly just wish the bias would die down and give both contenders a chance. If anything we can all agree on one thing, next gen is almost here and I am incredibly excited to get my choice of console in my home now.
cyhm3112  +   531d ago
it is too late to change to win for xbone
ylwzx3   531d ago | Off topic | show
corvusmd  +   531d ago
I think PS4 will take a rather sizable lead right out of the gate. However, as time goes on, people will see that there are advantages that XB1 has over PS4...most notably the network. It's easy to comprehend the advantage that PS4 has, having a more powerful GPU is pretty straight forward, however so far all that has done is make it so that Sony fans can say that Ghosts is Native 1080p rather than upscaled, but according to everyone that has actually seen both, there is little to no difference and most can't even tell which is which, so it turns out that other than saying it's native, there is no advantage. The PS4 version can even be seen as having a slight disadvantage there depending on perspective. It has to work harder and run hotter to produce an image that is nearly identical, and has shown to have much more severe frame rate issues (although due to rushed programing, all versions of the game have issues, but PS4 has shown to be the most buggy and has most frame rate drops of any of the consoles) Not to mention that, despite being one of the biggest MP franchises ever, it (and KZ) will not have TRUE dedicated servers. So it's really a trade between saying I have native 1080p with P2P network gaming and more frame rate issues than any other console...vs. I have upscalled 1080p that no one can tell the difference, with much better network support, while running cooler with less glitches. It's all perspective and preference.

That being said, there are exclusives and network benefits on XB1 that will win many PS4-only gamers over to buying both afterall...my prediction is that by Christmas 2014 (after Titanfall launch) XB1 will have significantly closed the gap, and perhaps even take over.
PS4 gamers will still want to play offline exclusives on PS4 no doubt, but MP/Massive Open world games will be favored on XB1. At first XB1 no doubt has a huge hole to dig themselves out of, but most of the negativity stems from the systems being a notion at this point with no actual hands on by the average gamer...once the smoke and mirrors go away, people will see that it's not the evil incarnate like many Sony Fanboys wish to make it out to be, and PS4 is not the perfect console that everyone says it is, but they are BOTH great consoles, and gamers next gen are getting spoiled. Either way, the more that people count MS out, the more I realize that they haven't been paying attention in the long term, and the bigger hole they are placed in right away, the bigger their comeback will be. XB1 fans that buy in right away will probably reep a ton of benefits as MS tries to regain their foothold. Counting them out is extremely short-sighted and off in never never land...it would have been like saying Sony is done for when they released the PS3. MS has invested FAR too much time and money to let XB1 fail...it simply won't happen.

It should also be noted that as developers get more and more familiar with working on XB1, it is likely that the 720p argument will be a thing of the past. Ghosts was originally running at 1080p native on XB1 as well, but due to rushed programming to make launch, it was downscalled, PS4 had the advantage of being a more familiar platform. XB1 may surprise graphically in the future.
#13 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
walkincarpet  +   531d ago
I agree. As the dust settles gamers will choose between best graphics and best everything else -online gaming, innovative gameplay, etc. I think the population at large will not be as satisfied with the better graphics when they can get a more complete and new package with X1. The good thing is hard core gamers can choose or even have both - the great single player game with great graphics and/or the best online gaming experience that brings an new experience. I just wish they would have combined the two systems into one to make the ultimate gaming machine.
BlingBlaine  +   531d ago
My local gamestop buddy said they had 87 ps4 pre orders and only 19 xbox ones.

Here in portland OR. anyways.
LordDhampire  +   531d ago
Im gonna say, off price alone ps4 is gonna get the casuals....The common masses don't care what gpu/cpu these things have they care about price
Goku781  +   531d ago
PS4 will ultimately win. MS should get out while they can. It's not like they have a bunch of 1st party studios to begin with. They just buy exclusives to keep them from being played on other systems, what kind of real winning strategy is that? Go ahead and spin off Xbox.
#16 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
mrdeli  +   531d ago
A lot of smart people I talk to say that both companies are in very serious trouble. Inviting the PS4 into your home is like inviting in a broke hooker. She's there to make money. Sony needs to monetize content badly. The PS3 debacle needs to be recovered from - and if sony screws this platform up, it could mean the end of their computer entertainment group.

And MS has totally forsaken gamers and is horny for casuals and new users. That's why the Xbone is all about kinect, about Skype, cable box, apps, etc. Microsoft is banking on having the same customers as last time, and lots of new ones.

Here is the problem : mobile, nvidia, and steam. People can buy games for 99 cents. Graphics cards can pump 1080p via hdmi that easily meet or exceed the next gen. And steam offers 50-80% quarterly.

XBone and PS4 may both be in big trouble 6-12 months in. It's never been like this before - when common PCs exceed the graphics horsepower, the channel is completely flooded with product not even the most dedicated hardcore can keep up, and green man games, steam, and blue coin whatever company offer fire sales almost every week. And what if apple offers 4k tv this year and the XBone has trouble with 720p ??
#17 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
urwifeminder  +   531d ago
I hope your dreams come true and you have the most popular thing in gaming see you on Forza 5.
etownone  +   531d ago
I'm sticking with Ms again this gen, hopefully I'll get an Xbox One at launch.

But I gotta say.... I tried it today... Wasn't impressed with Killer Instinct, Forza or Crimson Dragon. None of them looks Next gen. But... I did LOVE the controller. The rumble triggers, the grip on the analog sticks, and the D-pad.... Everything is perfect.

Also tried the Ps4.... Fifi and Knack didn't impress me at all either. But the DS4, also equally as awesome as the Xbox One. Very comfortable (compared to past ps controllers, triggers felt good, and great grip.
infectedaztec  +   531d ago
Hard to believe you weren't impressed with Forza's graphics. Killer Instincts look great too. I think everyone can agree that Crimson Dragon looks current gen.

Good on ya getting the xbox one though. I preordered on Sunday after serious thought. I think you won't regret it
etownone  +   531d ago
Did you see Forza or Killer Instinct in person?
They look great.... But, just seemed like a game the 360 can run.
Btw.... Killer Instinct... Awesome to play. After 5 minutes I was already unleashing 10 hit combos with Jango.

The game that looks really impressive is Ryse.

Where did you preorder it?
infectedaztec  +   531d ago
Well i'm in Ireland so I went with Xtravision - possibly the least well known supplier. Basically I rang each vendor and asked whats the earliest date they could guarantee it. Every (including amazon) vendor said they'd get it to me before christmas but wouldn't commit to earlier. Xtravision said they could have it for the 6th of December so they'll get my business (plus they only require a €10 deposit). They also said MS are keeping the bundle deals very close to their chest and they won't know whats being offered until maybe a week before release. I'll nearly definitely get a bundle deal

Oh and I haven't played or seen a console in person - good to hear about ryse though
#19.1.2 (Edited 531d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
punisher99  +   531d ago
Why game in 720p when you can do it in native 1080p? PS4 is the only next gen console.
jasonmcee  +   531d ago
Its funny how everyone talks about 720p and 900p games. But from what I have seen Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, and Ryse looks better then any 1080p ps4 game. It must not be all about graphics if a 720p game can look better then a 1080p game. Xbox 1 is the future for sure notonly is it about gaming but gives you a multitude of other things you can do with it. And there launch games blow anything away from ps4 by far.I don't care who has more power in the end Microsoft will have a better gaming experience, better ui, better online gameplay, and by the looks of things microsofts xbox1 720p beats out playstation 4 1080p. So who is really better let me see.. Yeah its a no brainer xbox1
mrnice  +   531d ago
like i said before played them both.ps4 brill xbox one brill games what ran on xbox just ran better.and xbox 720p lol looks miles better than last gen.if they do hit 1080p look out ps4 i am getting both as love games on both sides.but titanfal is the daddy.
LoveSpuds  +   531d ago
I think there are many more 'clued' up gamers that the experts and journalists think.

They always give this scenario where 'little johny's mom' goes to the store to make a purchase without knowing what they are asking for.

The fact is the majority of consoles are bought by informed consumers (or their moms) and their has been far too many negative revelations to ignore with regard to the XB1.

Unless you are die hard MS customer their is only one console riding a way of positivity right now.
SynestheticRoar  +   531d ago
I'll call it fruity pants. PS4 ftw. Now tell your momma.
_FantasmA_  +   531d ago
LOL not close at all. I just don't see M$ dedicating time and money to bringing out high quality exclusives for many years like Sony.
Kavorklestein  +   531d ago
Why can't speculation about Games,gaming, stytems specs, facts, ideas, or rumours be treated or discussed in equal Debate-Team-style form? Or spend equal time in the spotlight whether what positive OR negative?

Me, Personally, I want to just say one thing. Specifically about Ryse: Son Of Rome. I don't understand the hate before playing it method of most users ons websites/forums/chatrooms/comm ent boards I see getting BIGGER AND BIGGER AND BIGGER like the plague. Now an initial glance may be enough to decide if YOU want to play it/buy it, or in the case of movies, watch a film or purchase it, but My reasons will never be YOUR reasons, and vice versa etc.. but Here's a cool look at RYSE, one that I think people should watch if on the fance about the style, or direction, or WHATEVER it may be about RYSE.

Do yourselves a favor and WATCH it if you find the game even REMOTELY interesting, or aren't sure what to think.

Here's the YouTube link:

Does this interview make the game look boring? I didn't think so. Does this preview/interview make the game seem like a rip-off of ANYTHING? I didn't think so. Did this interview show some varied and intersting locales, different mechanics, different objectives, and interesting theme, atmosphere, vibe, and characters in cutscenes just at the SIGHT of them? Without really knowing much of what is being said OR why?

OH HELL YES.
I for one, am way stoked to see how this game ends up, and what people think after ACTUALLY PLAYING IT AND BEATING IT... I mean, for example: Dante's Inferno had a Killer demo that was fantastical and fun, and it INSTANTLY made me want the game.. I was underwhelmed once I beat it, and once the story got way way way cheesy, nonetheless, I Had FUN!

Having a action combat game that actually has a REASON to continue to the next that isn't just to save the girl, or endlessly be bad ass in a WAAAAY over the top Mythical/Super-power-y way seems refreshing! and is basically the whole point of a lot of Roman based RTS style games, but instead of being an army it's like a more Story driven feel. I for one, think even with it's 900p resolution haven't see ANYTHING that makes me drool more than this... So RESOLUTION? Really? Truly? is NOT the be all and end all of ANY game or experience from any video game.. Let's be honest here folks.. if YOU aim for the best of the best with resolution, then fine, but I, along with others will be trying out games before I buy them Unless I know I JUST HAVE TO HAVE IT.. But you aren't gonna see me mindlessly bashing anybody else for their choice for what THEY wanna throw THEIR money at.. I may speak about why I wouldn't play it, or why I am NOT interested, but I'm not gonna call someone stupid or insult them, unless... I can find a way of Using logic to make them feel stupid for things THEY have said (Hehehehe) ;)
(Battle of wits with verbal chess, anyone?)

This game is my top following, especially after this interview. Cannot wait to see what it really ends up being, and I for one don't care if the reviews say it sucks, because I would be fooling myself if I am gonna let someone else make up my mind for ME. Happy Gaming y'allz!
mrdeli  +   531d ago
Guys, I know this sites community is pro-Sony ( as are most xbox owners ) but the Sony Defense Force is willfully disregarding the last seven years. If the XBone outsells PS4 at Xmas N4G will have to hire crisis intervention professionals to help out the community for the holidays.

Project Cars available to digitally preorder and predownload on Xbox One

1m ago - Neil writes "You wait ages for one and then two come along at the same time. Not only is CoD Blac... | PC

PN Review: Pokemon Rumble World

36m ago - A lot can be said about Pokemon Rumble World, too bad what has to be said about it isn’t very good. | 3DS

Help Myriad get through Steam Greenlight!

Now - Myriad is a twin-stick shooter that grows more beautiful the better you play, where you build and then destroy the game space in glorious chain rea... | Promoted post

PN Review: Pentapuzzle

54m ago - Its challenge will keep you occupied for a while, and you’ll want to see the game through to comp... | Wii U

Mortal Kombat X review | This is Xbox

1h ago - Mortal Kombat X is brilliant, achieving a balance between technical and spectacle which seldom fe... | PC

PN Review: Story of Seasons

1h ago - Packed with plenty of content and customization Story of Seasons is a game that requires some har... | 3DS