Submitted by TheUltimateGamer 701d ago | opinion piece

How Old is “Too Old” for Video Games?

How many endgame bosses must a man mow down, before he becomes a man? If you’re old enough to get the reference in that question, are you already too old to play video games? As several members of The Ultimate Gamer team edge our way towards a midlife Crysis, we’ve been wondering: how old is too old for games? (Culture, Industry)

Lukas_Japonicus  +   701d ago
No such age. I will be playing videogames until im dead (or as long as they exist lol).

How old is too old to read?
How old is too old to watch Movies/TV?
How old is too old to listen to music?

You are never too old to be passionate about something.
#1 (Edited 701d ago ) | Agree(33) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
NihonjinChick  +   701d ago
I don't know. I can't picture myself as a 75 yr old woman that tries to keep up with the latest video games and consoles.
OhReginald  +   701d ago
no one can cause that doesn't exist today because older people didn't grow up with video games. Our generation (assuming you are mid 20's) there will be a lot of eldery playing video games in 50 or 40 years from now.
#1.1.1 (Edited 701d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report
IcicleTrepan  +   701d ago
Why, you won't have anything else to do, granny :)
raresteak  +   701d ago
That's on you for having a lack of imagination or close-mindedness altogether.
Boody-Bandit  +   701d ago
I've been gaming since it's inception and I will be gaming until the day I die.
x5exotic  +   701d ago
The moment you are "too old" for anything is the moment you really die.

Unless you're Murtaugh. Then you can be too old for this shit or whatever the f**** you like.
#1.2 (Edited 701d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
solidt12  +   701d ago
Except Breast Feeding... lol
Lukas_Japonicus  +   701d ago
Lmao, bubble up for making me laugh.
DeadRabbits  +   701d ago
6 Feet Under will be old enough for me!
TheUltimateGamer  +   701d ago
Agreed, I can't imagine a time where I won't want to play the latest and greatest.
marcelliuss1  +   701d ago
Amen to that.
DEEBO  +   701d ago
You're never too old to game.why does gaming have to be limited to a certain age group or gender?
gaming is entertainment a hobby for anyone that enjoys it.

technology is great but some are still stuck in the past.
TheUltimateGamer  +   701d ago
I completely agree. I'll be playing until the day I die.
DEEBO  +   701d ago
I agree with you this our time,our era 100 years from now something else might pop up for humans to enjoy but from the 1970's until now gaming has move up in the world as some of the best entertainment worldwide.
yazter  +   701d ago
The only thing getting old here is this discussion.

The fact that you contemplate anyone who dictates age limit on games means you concede to them.

Anyway, back to Borderlands 2.
Hartsy  +   701d ago
You wouldn't tell someone there to old to have sex? If it feels good do it! 😉
Neonridr  +   701d ago
you wouldn't tell them, but nature may tell them at some point when everything stops working the way it's supposed to.. XD
osprey19  +   701d ago
Never too old. I knw of a great grandmother who plays on the wii, for fun and to keep her mind and body active. And people say video games are bad for ones health.
Fluke_Skywalker  +   701d ago
I had two guys in my BF:BC2 clan who were grandads, both in their late 50's. Also my old man still games, he is a hardcore EVE addict and I made him a grandad a couple of years back :)
Akuma2K  +   701d ago
Video gaming is eternal, there are no limits on it except for the lives you have when trying to beat a game unless your playing old school contra on NES where you put in the 99 lives cheat code....lol
MASTER_RAIDEN  +   701d ago
decent job.
paying my bills.
gettin' those A's in school.
got plenty of girls in the contacts.
working out regularly.
----------------------------- -------
Not every gamer is the WOW teenager on southpark.

im 23 and still booting up my games at least once a day. a lot of people think that enjoying such an admittedly addictive hobby means you fit a certain mold. as much as i love gaming it doesnt just take over every aspect of my life. I enjoy gaming as much as i do any other hobby, but that doesnt diminish my sense of responsibility as a grown man. theres no such thing as too old for gaming if you have your priorities straight.
#7 (Edited 701d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
optimus  +   701d ago
It goes to show the maturity level on this site when you get disagrees for having your priorities straight.
Pintheshadows  +   701d ago
Well, the only two things I will do when I am older is trip children with my walking stick and play games, so there is no such thing as too old in my eyes.
KRUSSIDULL  +   701d ago
The only age I may be to old for gaming is when I'm dead!
sevilha82  +   701d ago
When im dead old i´l stop....
solidt12  +   701d ago
thornh  +   701d ago
My rampant fanboyism through the years shines through in this list but here goes. The consoles I have owned new:

Atari 2600
Atari 400 (I know it was a computer but I used it as a glorified console)
Sega Master System (skipped many years playing on the first PCs)
Sega Genesis (and CD unfortunately)
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
PSP (not a console but I'm counting it anyway)
Wii (no comment)
Vita (see PSP comment)
and next Friday the PS4

So, yes, I'm a fanboy. Or a fanoldman. And guess what I don't live in my mother's basement (or garage). And I have created 6 new fanboys (and girls) in between all of these console releases. So, yeah, until I die.
MadMax  +   701d ago
No colecovision, hehe?
same time as when you're too old for books and movies, never
solidt12  +   701d ago
My grandma plays COD. Pretty good too.
MetalJedi  +   701d ago
Old is fun. It gives you a better appreciation for the little things in life. Having started gaming on an Atari 2600 and having to hear how gaming is dying every other decade I find it hilarious how popular the gaming industry have become. Going from playing with squares to actual more fleshed out model is awesome. Of course playing with a joystick and one button was much simpler. LOL...better stop before I give away my age.

I actually hooked up my Atari 7800 sometime last year and could not believe how awful the games looked compared to today. Gameplay is great but don't fall for that BS the graphics don't matter. If it didn't we'll all still be playing our Genesis, NES, PS1 and Dreamcast consoles.
thornh  +   701d ago
Back in the 2600 days Activision came along and they were GODS! They made THE best games back then. Skiing, Hockey, Pitfall, etc., etc. They were the very first 3rd party publisher. I wonder where Bob Whitehead is now? I idolized that man. You have to understand each game was basically a one man project and the creator's image and bio was on the box or in the instructions. What an amazing time. I wish Activision was the same company it was back in the 80s.
MetalJedi  +   701d ago
The 80's was great for gaming. Activision was incredible. My son would laugh at me if he saw the games I use to spend hours playing.
KonsoruMasuta  +   701d ago
It really matters.

My mom plays games but not the ones we have today. She still has her old Atari.

I'll be playing video games until I die.
#16 (Edited 701d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MaverickStar7  +   701d ago
"Too old for video games" only exists in the minds of people that don't understand games or buy into the stereotypes and know nothing about them. Most still associate video games as "kid stuff". Are you ever too old to play cards, checkers, or monopoly? Those are games. Just not advanced electronic types of games. You learn to play ball as a kick, shouldn't we tell pro athletes they are too old to play ball?

I started with a Atari 2600 and played games all my life, but it wasn't until last gen where I really too an interest in video game industry and culture. Games are a medium like books, film, and music with tons of variety within that medium. The problem with games is not playing past a certain age. Its letting games become too big a part of your life where it interferes with the rest of your life. But that is not a specific to video games. Many things can do that. My fellow gamers, play on and don't worry what the outsiders say. There very well could be something they are into that you just don't get as well.
ruefrak  +   701d ago
I just wish there wasn't a social stigma for being an older video game enthusiast, and to some degree I think it's getting better. It still feels weird to meet new people and say that I've been enjoying The Last of Us or Sly Cooper.
TheUltimateGamer  +   701d ago
As do I. I do know a good number of gamers out there that are out of the "normal" age range of gamers. Heck, look at the Cirque D’Geezers over at geezergamers . com
The GGN (Good Game Network) is full of us old timers :)
Enigma_2099  +   701d ago
How Old is “Too Old” for Video Games?
When arthritis sets in and your hands hurt from pressing the buttons. Me, I'm gonna play games as long as I want to play games, and **** you if you have a problem with that.
#19 (Edited 701d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Zomboid-G  +   701d ago
I dunno. While I DO play ipad games while I commute, console games are getting tough to squeeze in. Relationships and work and take time I used to devote to my PS3. I'd love to be able to play an RPG, but I know I would never have the time needed. Now when I get a game (about 2 year) Its something I know I can finish in less than 20 hours :/
leemo19  +   701d ago
My mom is 64 she still plays video games, mainly rpgs or point and click. shes addicted to them as much as I am. My bro is almost 50 still playing video games. No such age limit to video games especially now with even the simplest games on tabs and smartphones someone in their 90's could play.
AceofStaves  +   701d ago
The new resurgence of 'point-and-click' games has been a blast. They're some of the most fun I've had gaming in a long time.
AceofStaves  +   701d ago
I've already been gaming for decades, and I see no reason to stop just because of my age. Things have changed. I don't have as much time to game as I did when I was younger, and I find myself playing more 'casual' titles than involved, intense games nowadays, but I can't see me stopping the hobby unless I became physically or mentally unable to play.
Espurr   701d ago | Spam
waltyftm  +   701d ago
I have over 30 years of gaming experience, and wont stop until i am 6 feet under.
UNKLE  +   701d ago
Well idon't know PS4 console generation is looks pretty bad there is no good games what i saw for PS4 hmm maybe i stop now or i wait more maybe some new good games come out in 2-3 years.
Activemessiah  +   701d ago
I'd saaay when you have arthritis throughout your entire hands... time for a new hobby.
NeMo_HeauxZ  +   701d ago
Im 34 with no end in sight
GinkgoID  +   701d ago
thebudgetgamer  +   701d ago
As long as I have thumbs I will play video games, even if I lose my thumbs I will just play Kinect.
DEEBO  +   701d ago
My console list
i had a
what ever pong was on system
sega master system
sega genesis
game cube
turbo graphic 16
every psp
wii u
and come friday the ps4 will be on the list.
#30 (Edited 701d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

TGS Attending VRTGO – VR Conference & Expo

13m ago - So, what is VRTGO? – An annual Conference & Expo that explores the future of VR for both enterta... | Tech

Assetto Corsa: Dream Pack 2 DLC & new update released

13m ago - After lots of teasing the Dream Pack 2 DLC has finally been released for Assetto Corsa along with... | PC

Forza Motorsport 6 (XB1) Review

Now - Ken checks out the latest numbered Forza title. | Promoted post

Results: LoL Worlds 2015 Group Stake week two, SKT vs. BKT

13m ago - Results, breakdown and analysis of Group C's final game at the League of Legends World Championsh... | PC

Fifa 16 Player Card Guide - What Is Purple Hero Card

13m ago - FIFA 15 has been short-lived in the purple hero card appeared in the player's field of vision. Su... | Xbox

The New PS4 Uncharted Collection Shows How Much The PS3 Evolved

38m ago - Kotaku: "If you asked a bunch of people to list the most influential games of the last console ge... | PS3