Submitted by Abriael 246d ago | image

Here’s How the PS4 Looks When a Game Crashes

Demo Stations operate in in rough operational conditions that don't really reflect what would happen in a normal household, so failures are pretty normal. Here's how a PS4 demo station when a game (Battlefield 4) crashes, taken at Madrid Games Week. (PS4)

Alternative Sources
« 1 2 »
NoMercyOnlyRage  +   246d ago
is it going to be norm when a game crash?

i hate when a game crash and the system locks up and force me to restart the console.
xHeavYx  +   246d ago
There is an "ok" button, so for me it looks more like a game that failed to launch instead of a game that crashed . If it is a crashed game, that OK button would mean that the console doesn't lock up, which is great
#1.1 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(79) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
Abriael  +   246d ago
It's a crash, I've seen it happen once at Paris Games week too, still with Battlefield 4, so it's probably a software problem. It's actually nice that when the game crashes the console doesn't freeze and you don't need to reboot.
JimmyLmao  +   246d ago | Well said
i saw on a PS4 livestream once.. if a game crashes, the console doesn't freeze and need to restart, you just go get an error message and go back to the menu then start the game up again, pretty neat i guess(^▽^)

also, its good because i always feel bad when my 360 or PS3 freeze and you have to go up and press the on/off button and it beeps at you (⊙︿⊙)
#1.1.2 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(65) | Disagree(4) | Report
stevehyphen  +   246d ago
Vita is like this, too.
I've had two game crashes in the (almost) year that I've had it. Both times I just hit "OK" and started the game back up.
#1.1.3 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(3) | Report
tuglu_pati  +   246d ago
Why are games crashing in the first place?
Abriael  +   246d ago
@tuglu_pati: because it's demo software, not the final game.
Clarence  +   246d ago
Damn great observation!
abzdine  +   246d ago
press circle and reboot the game. takes 5 seconds...
One_Eyed_Wizard  +   246d ago
Games, like every other software crash all the time regardless of if it's a full version or a demo. While demo's or betas tend to be less stable, full version softwares will crash too. They crash more often than before because their code is a hundred times more complex than previous generations. Not only that, but unexpected OS activity can also cause software or games to crash. Hardware can also be a cause but that is usually the case later down the road when the system has aged.
MWong  +   246d ago
If it's BF4 it's the game sadly. DICE is working on a fix for the game crashing current gen consoles. My game crashed more with the retail version compared to the beta.
One_Eyed_Wizard  +   246d ago
@MWong That IS pretty sad. Didn't know it was this bad.
ShinMaster  +   246d ago
At least the PS4 continues to function just fine.
mewhy32  +   246d ago
lets hope we dont see much of that.
MWong  +   246d ago
@ One_Eyed_Wizard
I love DICE, but EA forced them to rush that game out way too soon. BF4 should have been released in December or January. They are working on the crashing issue, but the list of launch bugs to me is worse than BF3. If you are switching your kit and you get revived the game menu freezes so you have to leave the game and comeback in.

I wouldn't take this article too seriously.
BISHOP-BRASIL  +   246d ago
@tuglu_pati

Oh no, a game crashed, what has this world turned into... In other news, water is wet.

Seriously now, cut the drama, games crash, it's nnothing new or completelly avoidable. Don't matter how far we get into technology, stuff will still eventually fail or break. Obviously every new piece of tech will need some way to deal with it.
Cernunnos  +   246d ago
Those who don't understand why games can crash, and think that it's just lazy devs or something obviously have never written a line of code themselves.

A game consists of millions of code, a single typo in that code can in theory cause a crash. It is impossible to make a game that wont have bugs.
AndrewLB  +   246d ago
Just because the console didn't require a full reboot doesn't mean it's the game and not the console itself. Crashes happen on many levels, whether they are software related, driver, OS, or hardware. An unstable operating environment caused by things like heat, poor drivers, or improper memory allocation can all result in a program/application/game crashing without the whole thing crashing. All modern operating systems contain a form of crash recovery feature that prevents entire system shutdown for most types of crashes.
Jessika_S  +   245d ago
This are debug display units, they dont have a full working operating system just runs games and demos.
LonChaneyTV  +   245d ago
"If it is a crashed game, that OK button would mean that the console doesn't lock up, which is great "

................And i thought consoles shouldn't be compared to PCs. first it was rest your consoles now it's error windows.
Abriael  +   246d ago
It's a demo station, in a trade show in Europe, that already had Milan Games Week and Paris Games week, which means that that PS4 has probably been moved all across Europe and has worked almost 12 hours a day for three weeks. I'd say a crash is not much of a problem, especially because it could be very well the software's fault.
#1.2 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
black0o  +   246d ago
the good thing is the system isn't frozen like the ps3 does when a game crashes
G20WLY  +   246d ago
Huh.. *pensive face*

I'm glad you shared this. I very much doubt I'll ever see it in person, so it was interesting. :)
Mikelarry  +   246d ago
*shudders* i hated those as well furiously pressing the PS button on the controller and the darn thing doesn't respond making me get off the couch (the cheek) to press the power button and sometimes just to be a bit%h the power button on the console too does not respond and i have to pull the power plug from the back
#1.3 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
DEAD-DEVIL-DISCO  +   246d ago
yeah ive read that when you have to acually unplug it "which has happened to me" will evenually damage the ps3. just hear say though idk
NoMercyOnlyRage  +   246d ago
i've had it happen with spartacus legends and one of EA sports title , can't remember which.

a freaking pain in the arse yes.
yellowgerbil  +   246d ago
I hate it but got used to it playing MAG, it crashed and froze epically with crazy kaleidoscope effects quite regularly
Tsar4ever  +   246d ago
Look at the picture, The "STUPID ASSHOLES" has the console locked in that tight glass thingy, You're NOT suppose to block the air vents at the back of the console. I'm sure they don't want the console TOO EXPOSED to the public to touch, at least open the area where the consoles air vents are located. JEEZ, What stupid asses.
MartinB105  +   246d ago
A freeze and a crash are two different things.

A freeze is typically the result of a process becoming trapped within an algorithm (e.g. an infinite loop) from which it's unable to escape and continue the program.

A crash is caused by a process doing something it shouldn't resulting in termination of the program, which is likely what this image shows.
princejb134  +   246d ago
they probably threw the ps4 down the stairs to make this happen
LiQuiZoN  +   246d ago
I have BF4 for PC. An AMAZING PC! This game constantly crashes. There is a known memory leak. Terrible. It's an "EA" issue. There quality has dropped off. bleh EA!

I'm pissed I gave in and got it through origins. Never again. I'll with Steam only.
AndrewLB  +   246d ago
most of the issues have been either server-side and punkbuster related. But yea, the memory leak is annoying... i found a temporary fix for it though. I have a program called Windows 7 Manager which has a little utility called "Free Memory", where every 15 minutes it frees up memory from programs who are allocating large amounts. So far it's worked perfectly.
cactusjack  +   245d ago
ask the developers.
DirtyPimp  +   246d ago
still looks sexy crashing in 1080p
thrust  +   246d ago
Get use to it by the looks of it ;)
GTgamer  +   246d ago
Not sure if i should link the article where the Xone crashes and tell you the same thing :/ hmmmmm.
thrust  +   246d ago
You will have lots of time in the future for finding links with all the crashing.

;)
TRD4L1fe  +   246d ago
your comment makes me want to throw my computer against the wall.

Im sure if this happens to you while you're at your house it wont be too sexy anymore
theRell  +   246d ago
Battlefield crashes in 1080p?
onyoursistersback  +   246d ago
XboxOne hits 1080p,
..... But then Immediately crashes!!!!
JasonKCK  +   246d ago
You guys troll MS even in PS news. Is that all you do?
aquamala  +   246d ago
you mean 900p, it's BF4 on PS4
andibandit  +   246d ago
dunno about it looking sexy, at a glance it reminds me of blue screen of death
RE_L_MAYER  +   246d ago
And no AA required
Douchebag696  +   246d ago
So lets see some vids of an Xbox crashing. Why be biased?
Abriael  +   246d ago
There's a link to an Xbox crashing right at the beginning of the article. Where's the bias? :D
Douchebag696  +   246d ago
I stand corrected. I missed the link. Thanks! :)
Fireseed  +   246d ago
We already have... read the article.
Lboogieskells  +   246d ago
I thought I would witness someone attempting to let the PS4 operate an automobile. /s -_-
thehitman  +   246d ago
All hardware crashes at some point. As long as its not very consistent and simple restart fixes it and it doesnt reoccur again in the same manner. Games on my PC crash from time to time.. my ps3 crashed before my ps2 crashed before my gamecube crashed before my n64 craashed before my sega saturn crashed before my super nintendo crashed before my gameboys crashed before. It is nice to know when something bad does happen it doesnt cause a full hard shutdown and system reboot.
Volkama  +   246d ago
Needs a :) smiley face. You can say anything if you follow it up with a smiley face. Or a sad face like Windows 8 BSOD.
#6 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
MCTJim  +   246d ago
Looks similar to the X1 crash when Forza didnt load..minus the doughhead in the pic with the X1.
Abriael  +   246d ago
I miss that guy lol.
KNWS  +   246d ago
Screenshot, not sure what it means, without video. Buying an xb1, but i wouldn't be too worried about this we don't know why it crashed and if it was during a game?
#8 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
theRell  +   246d ago
For it to be Battlefield 4, it makes me wonder what the hell DICE did wrong to have crashes for every platform.
#9 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
milehighshooter  +   246d ago
its normal to see this on nextgen consoles they will all have problems and i will be getting both
same thing happen with the xbox 360 error codes and overheating rrod it only happened to me once and the same thing happen to my launch fat ps3 error codes and the ylod and dead hdd this happen to me 4 deferent time but all the problems that happened to me is not going to stop me from buying ether one
#10 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SpinalRemains138  +   246d ago
Wow. It even crashes in 1080p
ShinnokDrako  +   246d ago
Damn too bad.... but i live with the idea that consoles crash on me at least twice per month, from the 360 to the ps3 (in a pair of occasions even my Vita, sigh), so the trend continue? Well, it's just a demo station, maybe it's the demo of the game, maybe the early version of the UI. Could be whatever, i can't care less: i want my PS4!!! >_<
kingPoS  +   246d ago
The game crashes but the system doesn't. It's a lot more convenient than having the whole thing lock up.

Quote: It’s actually interesting to notice that this kind of crash (that seems to be more of a problem with the game itself) doesn’t freeze the console, but you can still operate it without having to reboot the whole machine.

I like!

Gateway MT6706 2008
#13 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
sackboyhappy  +   246d ago
no :( the ps3 froze way too many times with BF3 i hope BF4 doesnt have the same problems on the PS4
Nocando  +   246d ago
Calm down fanboys, we know it's the software not the precious Sony hardware causing the crashes.
FullmetalRoyale  +   246d ago
Idc WHAT part of what is crashing. I don't want anything that I purchase screwing up. Hardware AND software.

I'm very much looking forward to BF4. I just hope they don't drop the ball like they did during BF3's console launch. Utterly ridiculous.
Nocando  +   246d ago
Well, if you haven't tried it, BF4 pc has been a comedy of errors, for me anyway. It has crashed on me several times, and mapping my gamepad has been a frustrating affair. When it runs, its beautiful.
FullmetalRoyale  +   246d ago
From what I've seen BF4 looks like what I wanted BF3(on consoles) to be. Yeah it looks stunning on PS4 and PC. That's not a dig, I've only seen *multiplayer footage available for those two platforms.

BC2 is one of my favorite games of all time. And I'm not a big "shooter guy". The biggest compliment I could give BF4 is that when I was watching Sessler's review I thought to myself: Damn that looks like Bad Company 2.

I just remember voice chat not working during BF3's launch. And from what I understand there is not a proper squad/lobby system as there was in BC2.

I hate the idea that my buddy and I have to find the same server(already more effort than I want to make) and then hope that we are put on the same team. Then hope that there is a squad with two spots open, and that we get them first.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PLEASE!! ;)

*typographical error
#15.2 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MrFairness   246d ago | Spam
dcfc1  +   246d ago
i hope the xbone doest crash while im watching tv lol
HugoDrax  +   246d ago
Now that would suck! especially if you were watching the SERIES FINALE of say "THE WALKING DEAD" Then right before the climax it crashes, and you miss the ending lol.
PFFT  +   246d ago
That would really freaking suck!
But still man poor POS4. This system has seen better days it seems.
#17.2 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Ritsujun  +   245d ago
Not hard enough, Beeburr.
lokirevamped  +   246d ago
I just hope that when it crashes there is some type of save feature so I don't have to start over.
Izzy408  +   246d ago
This is just stupid. One article will try to show the PS4 might come with some kind of malfunction, and a day later, someone else will upload an old picture of the X1 with a similar problem.

These types of articles aren't meant to show concern, they just uploaded to get fanboys on both sides rallied up. Let's act like emotionally stable adults and wait a couple of weeks for the consoles to release.
#19 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
GenericNameHere  +   246d ago
The game crashes, but not the system. Cool. Anyone wanna bet the crybabies are gonna spin this around? I'm betting my shiny Altaria.
andibandit  +   246d ago
sounds like a win....remind me to thank god if bf4 crashes on my ps4
shimme01  +   246d ago
Battlefield 4 Freeze FTW!
Psychotica  +   246d ago
Just an exception error that DICE failed to trap
windblowsagain  +   246d ago
Just thought i'd share this with you guys.

I was recently at the Gadget show in london.

I played Killzone sf among other games, when the demo goto the end, the machine crashed and reset itself.

I asked the staff about it, while i had another go. He told me they were not PS4 machines. But old dev kits running the game. And because it was an early demo it restarts at the end.

But as with all systems you get crashes from time to time.

That's what QA is there for.
#23 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
justSumDood  +   246d ago
This is news?
Jovanian  +   246d ago
Here comes the next RROD debacle...
Shinox  +   245d ago
First of all : PS4 doesn't have a "Ring"
And second of all : The red line on the PS4 was literally meant to be on the stand by mode I REPEAT on the stand by mode not overheating and if its still overheating it wont affect anything inside the device , derp
#25.1 (Edited 245d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
bornsinner  +   246d ago
an error occurred. status: NO GOOD GAMES
Dunban67  +   246d ago
why is it important or even necessary to show what the screen looks like in any given situation?

Does it make a difference to anyone what it looks like?
---stone---  +   246d ago
Since its similar to pc architecture (Xboner1 too) I expect them to crash from time to time just like pcs do. Whoopdeedoo. Thats tech folks.
#28 (Edited 246d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
mochachino  +   246d ago
As long as the system keep working, I'm ok with it.
Jazz4108  +   246d ago
Oops seems a little child like for the play station.
« 1 2 »

Indie Developer Tom Coxon on Lenna’s Inception; Procedural Generation, Publishers, and Game Dev

32m ago - Independent games developer and big-time CEO of Bytten Studio shares his experiences developing h... | Industry

GamersGate Launches 75% Off 2K Greatest Hits Sale, Total War and Space Battle Week-End

34m ago - GamersGate unveiled its classical Week-End sale and you can now get some of the greatest PC 2K Ga... | PC

Action Henk Is Half Trials, Half Sonic, All Toy Story - Early Access Preview | Dealspwn

37m ago - Dealspwn writes: "In effect it's a lot like Trials, a little like classic Sonic and a whole load... | PC

Top 5 Reasons Why You Never Want To Be a Game Critic

40m ago - For some reason, the gaming public has this seriously skewed view of video game critics. It’s har... | Culture

Start Making Games for the PS4

GOG And Abandoning DRM

41m ago - CCC Says: "Here's a confession for you: I don't use Steam. In fact, I refuse to. Besides only hav... | PC