Submitted by SarahFox 262d ago | news

GameStop announces pre-launch PS4 events, with special trade-in offers

The PS4 launch is just a weeks away, and if you are one of the millions of gamers that are interested in the event, you should checkout your local GameStop. The company announced that it will be hosting pre-launch PS4 events on Sunday, November 10 at all U.S. GameStop store locations. The events will allow customers to bring in their pre-owned hardware, software, or consumer electronic trade-ins early to pay-off their pre-ordered Sony PlayStation 4 consoles, as well as purchase available games and/or accessories. (GameStop, PS4)

Alternative Sources
DirtyPimp  +   262d ago
there ripoffs. in store credit they give $65.00 for a ps3.
SarahFox  +   262d ago
yeah their trade-ins are also sucky but i think the event idea is cool
DirtyPimp  +   262d ago
hell i'd go if kaz was there sarah
Angels3785  +   262d ago
Knowing gamestop they normally would give $65 for a ps3 and apparently wit this deal it should be nearly $120, BUT I can guarantee gamestop will lower the original value of the ps3 trade in because they do this all the time with big deals.....expect to get near...$40 plus 90%.
SniperControl  +   262d ago
I won a 360 Forza 4/Skyrim bundle worth £220 in a raffle last year, as i already have a 360, i went to Game here in the UK to trade it in, they were gonna offer me £90 for a brand new unboxed unit.

Screw that, i sold it on Gumtree for £190 instead, places like these are total a rip-off.
LOGICWINS  +   262d ago
Yeah, they're obvs going to make the trade in value for a PS3 as low as possible for the tenth. Still, if I can get at least $180 for my 60GB that could break at any minute...I'm selling it.

Doubt I'll get this much as it seems like a scam. The "triple credit" is really a 90% bonus.
#1.2 (Edited 262d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
dazzrazz  +   262d ago
Stop living in a lala land :P New console is $200 ! You will be lucky if they give u close to $100
Dark3stShadow  +   262d ago
Well I think they might actually give quite a bit for the system because (to my understanding) this only last for about 4 hour. Maybe that's no true but at my gamestop it says the event is from 12pm to 4pm. However that time may also just be when they will have the ps4 available to play
JetsFool3500  +   262d ago
I doubt you'll get that much considering the most they give for a super slim is $120
prodg52  +   262d ago
@Dark3stShadow if it's only 4hrs long, that's really bad. It takes gamestop employees an hour to serve one customer!
evilhasitsway  +   262d ago
I got over 130 for my ps3 just a few weeks ago. it depends on what model and hard drive size is it. I had the limited edition crystal white ps3 with 500g hard drive. I trade gta 5 in with it and got a total of 201 in store credit. which is pretty damn good.
BoriboyShoGUN  +   262d ago
Sorry you got raped!!! Would of been better selling that on Ebay or Craigslist!

Ok just saw it was $201 not $130 but I still think you could've done a lot better.
#1.3.1 (Edited 262d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
cell989  +   261d ago
That was an awful trade, total ripoff. 200 for GTAV with white 500GB PS3? GTFO GameStop. They will sell that ps3 for 275 and GTAV for 49.99
evilhasitsway  +   261d ago
@boriboyshogun

maybe but never know how long it would have taken to sell and going that path I might or might not have sold it since xmas is coming and most people not all but most are getting next gen systems. it was quick and easy. I still got a 360 and a fatboy ps3 so I will still be ok.
GmIsOnPt360  +   262d ago
people waited to long. i got 170 for my ps3 in trade in credit when they announced PS4. traded in to PS3's and couple games and had my ps4 paid off in full.
MizTv  +   262d ago
Yeah right after e3 I went to gamestop got $320 for a bunch of games
But I kept my ps3 and like 6 games
I think it's was like a extra 30% or 40% I got
wynams  +   262d ago
I got about the same for my PS3. Sunday's deal is rumored to be triple credit so my 360 slim should fetch about $210.

PS4 for $20, a 40GB Phat and a 250G 360 S? I think I did alright.
FullmetalRoyale  +   262d ago
Well I've been playing my PS3 this whole time, and I've had my PS4 paid off for a while... So....

You lose?
juggulator  +   262d ago
@DirtyPimp

It's probably your local store doing that. My Gamestop gave me $130 for a bricked 60gig model. My slim is fully functional and being a Powerup member gives more so I could probably get at leat $150.
#1.5 (Edited 262d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Prime157  +   262d ago
I hate when people don't get the idea of a "Middle Man."

Sell the thing yourself or be lazy and sell to GameStop, simple as that.

And on a side note, that's the way technology works. It's obsolete within a year.
ICarly1985  +   262d ago
....they wanted to give me 40$ for my 80G ps3 but old skool would give me 55$ cash
BoriboyShoGUN  +   262d ago
These pigs offered me $40 for my 250gb MW2 edition elite xbox 360 like 2 weeks ago. Anyone else think they're trying to pull customers away from the possible Target sale starting the 10th???
HugoDrax  +   260d ago
Damn! That's it? That's actually the same console I use currently. $40 is a total rip off. I wonder what they would give for a Black Wii console hahaha? $5 maybe
ifistbrowni  +   262d ago
you get like $110 trade in for a slim ps3. $40 for a white xbox, and $110 for a 320GB xbox last time i checked.

if you get 90% more, you're getting a hell of a deal. My buddy just struggled selling his 2 white xbox on craigslist at $60 a piece (with controllers).

Though, the article is confusing. It says you'll get triple value, then says 90%. If its tripled it'd be 300%
#1.9 (Edited 262d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Burrito26a  +   262d ago
Triple of the 30% deal already in place. So 90%.
princejb134  +   262d ago
Dam that's all
I was hoping to trade it in when ps4 comes out
Might have to try craiglist than
#1.11 (Edited 262d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MASTER_RAIDEN  +   261d ago
not really. gamestop is set up to have promotions on console trade ins almost all the time. most of the time they at least have a 30%-50% extra trade in on consoles. a lot of times they have double trade credit too.

I traded in my 360 shortly after the ps4 was announced. i was supposed to get $75 dollars for a 4gb console, BUT they had double trade on all consoles (a deal theyve had several times since then). I ended up getting $150 for a console i paid $199 for over a year before. ps3 would have been worth even more money and you would have easily been able to get $170ish had you been on top of your stuff. if you slept on the deal for so long that the ps3 lost its value, that sucks man. but thats on you. i admit that gaemstop is sort of a ripoff with game trade ins, but if you know what youre doing over there, you WILL get a good price for your console.

dont expect to trade in your ps3 at the last minute and get top dollar just because youre cramming for a ps4. what exactly do you expect? a 120 gb ps3 slim is currently on sale for like $149 in the states. how much money do you actually expect them to give you?
#1.12 (Edited 261d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Ketzicorn  +   262d ago
Does this work for trading in a Wii U also?
us_army  +   262d ago
It should
evilhasitsway  +   262d ago
my game stop got only 36 reserves and only half of them are paid off. mine paid for in full like two months ago. so im just waiting to pick it up.
jukins  +   262d ago
i was hoping they would do something like this I got a 120 ps3 and a bunch of accessories that havent been getting much use. had no luck selling on ebay or amazon so i'll have to take this offer.
wynams  +   262d ago
They are actually giving triple credit on Sunday. To all the thread crappers, I'm making $10 on my 250GB 360

current TIV is $70
triple credit $210
paid $200 on BF
Burrito26a  +   262d ago
You'll get $133 in the end.
#5.1 (Edited 262d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
wynams  +   261d ago
If that's the case, the TIV is dropping 63% in the next 2 days ... I obviously hope you are wrong, and I would probably hold on to my 360 if that were the case!
Burrito26a  +   261d ago
@ wynams... the trade in value is triple. As it stands now it's 30%. If you triple that you get 90%. 70 × .90 = 63. 63 + 70 = 133.
Blac585  +   262d ago
They should match targets deal
WeAreLegion  +   262d ago
They should. I went in there to cancel two games, so I could buy them at Target. The employee (one of my friends, since I used to work there) was really sad that he was losing so many reserves this week because of the Target/Amazon deal. They REALLY need to match that.
Fiveohfour  +   261d ago
What are the deals amazon and target currently have? Any info is appreciated!
WeAreLegion  +   261d ago
Buy two get one free on launch PS4 games. Amazon starts the sale on Sunday though, supposedly.
TheFallenAngel  +   262d ago
I'm trading in gta5 and black ops 2. I got to see what other games.
worldwidegaming  +   262d ago
Keeping mine. Not enough next gen games to just jump ship..sorry!
PaperMan  +   262d ago
No point when the PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility.
unjust75  +   262d ago
I got 140 for my 360 back in August. Everyone should have done it then. Not 6 days before launch.
saikorican  +   262d ago
Some people only have 1 console and didn't want to give it up a whole 3 months ahead of release of their next one. That would have been awfully boring for me at least.
Pumpkinjoe13  +   262d ago
Rip-off......absolutely.when they give you an EXTRA percentage, the drop the original trade credit prior to it. So you really only get like a 5-10 percentage bump-up in credit. I will say on occasion if your in good standings with the employees you can find out when the real deals are gonna be, or combine promos for a decent to fair trade. I paid $70 for 12 games at the pawn shop and took them to gamestop with another 10-14 games I bought from their bargain bin. Two of the game I traded were a few months old. They gave me $455.00 for them and I used that to buy a xbox one.SWEET!
Ps4Console  +   262d ago
Yep you bet , Preordered & ready to go & I will enjoy every hour queuing in the wind & rain you bet enjoying chatting to other Ps4 fans , that is why I love these events they are truly magical .
esemce  +   262d ago
You guys must be some hard up mofos to almost give your consoles away for pennies to corporate filth like gamestop/GAME.

Would be better to Ebay them or give them to some poor kid.

Ive never traded in a console keep them to replay the classics.
Rhezin  +   262d ago
Bioshock DLC next week and probably next year, The Last of Us DLC sometime in Dec/Jan, and Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z early next year. Plus what if I want to revisit all those great Sony franchises? Killzone, Uncharted, God of War, Resistance, InFamous. Naw I'm holding on to me ps3 for a while longer. I'm doing what I should have done last gen and KEEPING my old system.
Fishermenofwar  +   262d ago
EXACTLY!!!!
Fishermenofwar  +   262d ago
Keep your PS3!!!!

That is all :)
Feldman9000  +   261d ago
how is this an event? you can do the same thing on any tuesday.

Spider-Man Unlimited Comic-Con Trailer Features New Gameplay Footage, Screenshots Also Released

17m ago - Gameloft has released a brand spanking new trailer and screenshots for their upcoming Spider-Man:... | iPhone

Bravely Default Sells Over 1 Million Copies Worldwide

17m ago - Bravely Default has sold over 1 million copies worldwide, with 600k sold in the West alone. | 3DS

The Destiny Beta was a Tremendous Success

17m ago - The destiny Beta from the creators of Halo ended today. The studio posted on facebook and twitter... | Xbox 360

Releases: Week of July 29th, 2014

17m ago - Critically Sane's Don gives his thoughts on this week's releases. He also discusses his addiction... | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

The Last of Us Remastered Canada-Exclusive PS4 Bundle Announced

31m ago - That’s right Canada, for $449.99, this bundle comes complete with a PlayStation 4, Dualshock 4 wi... | PS4