Submitted by lifesanrpg 249d ago | opinion piece

Free Killer Instinct gift from Microsoft is actually a middle finger to its dedicated fan base

GameZone's Mike Splechta writes, "Why Microsoft? Why do such a weird promotion in an age where the internet exposes who did and didn't get selected for this.

What's even worse is that a lot of people who are getting these emails, have no plans to even purchase an Xbox One, and they can't gift the game to anyone else, since it's tied to their Gamertag. D'oh!" (Killer Instinct, Xbox One)

zeal0us  +   249d ago
Middle finger to those who've been supporting XBL since its arrival and have yet to get a free copy.

I read one guy who said he been paying for XBL since Xbox days and have over 80K gamerscore and still have yet to get the free gift.

You would think the people who been paying for XBL since the beginning would be the first ones to get anything.
#1 (Edited 249d ago ) | Agree(21) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Lukas_Japonicus  +   249d ago
I have over 103k gamerscore and have been paying for gold since 2009 and i was pleasantly surprised with my email saying i received a free copy of KI.

Wasn't planning on playing it, but i will now. Free is good.
andrewsqual  +   249d ago
But is was free already wasn't it? They are essentially giving you 7 characters?
Kingthrash360  +   249d ago
lets be real they are giving out the game at random for free to sway gamers to buy a x1. its just a marketing move nothing more.
i wouldnt say its a middle finger just business as usual.
ill just pick up my ps4 and continue reciving free games on three consoles (vita,ps3,ps4)i like that marketing deal better.
#1.1.2 (Edited 249d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(2) | Report
whitefang1988  +   249d ago
I'm with you on that I've got 101,000 gamerscore with 7 years on gold and I got the email today, was keeping my fingers crossed for the whole console but o well lol.
Still buying both,

P.s fanboys- stop focusing on negativity and just enjoy the games you play.
BattleTorn  +   249d ago
I've been a XBL member for 10years, with only 28,000 Gamerscore.

No e-mail.

I swear it's cause I'm Canadian.
Mystogan  +   249d ago
It's completely random. Its not about who did what more often.

By that logic. Rich people should win more lotteries.

way to spin something cool into something negative. Bravo Sony fanboys you did it again.
Joe913  +   249d ago
This has nothing to do with Sony fans yea a few is comparing this to ps+ and I even read on Sony fan saying he don't see why ppl is mad to me it sounds as if it is the MS fans that has been on XBL for a while there are a few saying they dont care but I still don't see how you can blame this on Sony fans lol how is it when MS piss off a few MS fans the other MS fans seem to blame Sony fans again just like the DRM issue some how that became about Sony fans bitching about a rule in place for a console we had no plan to buy yea that makes sense if a Sony fanboy say something stupid call that person out dont go blaming all Sony fans like I am not calling MS fans dumb because you made a dumb comment Im just saying that is a dumb comment not really even calling you dumb ppl like you just start a bunch of crap that does not need to be started.
#1.2.1 (Edited 249d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report
dirigiblebill  +   249d ago
Giving people free stuff is bad.

Giving people free stuff is bad.

Giving people free stuff is bad.

Giving people free stuff is bad.

Nope, sorry - doesn't compute.
brbobcat  +   249d ago
idk, Sony gives away free stuff all the time and it works. PS+ for the win. Everyone is treated equally.

It's when only a few get something when it becomes bad.
falviousuk  +   249d ago
How is it free when you are paying for PS+

Thats some dumb logic there
creatchee  +   249d ago
It's. A. Giveaway. Promotion.

I don't know why you have to bring this "all for one, one for all" sentiment in. Why can't Microsoft do anything cool without people complaining or crying foul?
Mystogan  +   249d ago
Dumbest comment ever. Sony fanboys keep raising the bar.
Naga  +   249d ago | Well said
Is it really appropriate to bash a company for this level of generosity, simply because they are selective in their generous giving? Is that really a "middle finger"?

I mean, we can either be happy for the individuals that received the free game, or we can shout about and be offended because we aren't treated like the beautiful snowflakes that we think we are. BUT I'M PRETTY!

I for one intend to remain content with my possessions, and happy for those who have what I don't.
#3 (Edited 249d ago ) | Agree(23) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Crazay  +   249d ago
I agree with you. I have good tenure with a high GS and I didn't receive any of the emails offering free stuff. Am I disappointed? Sure, who wouldn't be? I'm not pissed about it. Instead, I just wait for next friday and pick up my PS4s, then the friday after, I pick up my Xbox One. Moving right along here.
#3.1 (Edited 249d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MELMAN26  +   249d ago
^^^ Exactly....I have received a lot of free things over the years that others havent, why be mad? Sounds like a hater syndrome, they cant give this stuff to everybody.

I called them and they said it was done at random (which is fair).

Edit: and besides...they are giving you the game for free anyway, just with Jago as the only character. You cant be to mad...lol
#3.2 (Edited 249d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
falviousuk  +   249d ago
Ive been with xbox live since the beta on the original xbox, havent gotten any of the emails, am i bothered, not really

ITs a promotion, giveaeway, its thier to do as they please, and they choose based thier critetia or possibly its just totally random

Why people are getting pissed at this is just ridiculous, your not losing anything.
WeAreLegion  +   249d ago
No, it's not. Not EVERY person who has supported them from the beginning is getting a free game or console. That's not how it works. They're just doing a nice thing for a few people.
brbobcat  +   249d ago
and in doing so, they are making those who have supported them underappreciated.
falviousuk  +   249d ago
So they should give every single person who has purchased a MS product free things.

Again something positive that MS does and they still get crap for it.
creatchee  +   249d ago
@brbobcat

So they should do nothing for anybody then so not to make people cry? Because trust me - even if they gave the game away for free to everyone, somebody would cry.
anzil  +   249d ago
lets cry a little tho eh?
Juiceid  +   249d ago
How about those who are getting the system for free!? Lucky b's!
ELCUCO  +   249d ago
But it was always said to be a FTP game... By that logic Sony is giving Blacklight Retribution, Warframe, Warthunder, DCUO, Planetside 2, Deep down all for FREE!!!
brbobcat  +   249d ago
1 character is free to play. You have to buy the rest.
jackanderson1985  +   249d ago
They're giving the remaining characters away for free
NateCole  +   249d ago
ok i am a ps fan but this is stupid. giving free games is good regardless.
brbobcat  +   249d ago
Giving free games is good. Giving free games to a select few is bad.
NateCole  +   249d ago
they run a business and those select few are the loyal ones that have spent a lot of money already. they deserve it so it is great that they get something in return.
hankmoody  +   249d ago
I'm grateful for N4G and its ability to make me see the negative in anything remotely positive!
TRD4L1fe  +   249d ago
was just about to comment the same thing

*high five to you sir*
hankmoody  +   249d ago
High five right back with a bubble on the side. It's crazy that it's gotten to the point where articles like this are even being discussed. I mean, MS giving away Xbox Ones is being made to sound like the company is one free console away from going bankrupt as a result. Come on.
Crazay  +   249d ago
SOme people just make me incredibly sad with their petty BS
Visiblemarc  +   249d ago
I think part of the problem is that these moves are being seen as an attempt to white-wash a lot of the bad press of late. What many want from MS is some honesty and respect, and well... Some good news. Giving out free things to random loyal customers isn't good news, it's razzle dazzle.

Also, though I agree that it's not inherently bad, if you expect the collective xbox user base/the internet to act in a mature fashion, you must be new to planet earth.

*watches MS hand you a free xb1 and proclaim "welcome to earth!" while ET looks on from the bushes, salty as hell.*
Moncole  +   249d ago
MS can cure cancer and solve world hunger while fixing the economy so everyone can have a job and people on this site will make it a negative.
Deathdeliverer  +   249d ago
I've had live since the DAY live started. No email here. Have let my account go silver for a few years though.
Zapala  +   249d ago
Not going to lie, I am disappointed. Gold member since day one, played MechAssault,Ghost Recon, and Unreal Tournament like crazy on the Xbox. It would be nice to get this for loyalty if anything. No email yet.
aviator189  +   249d ago
Well, there you have it.
People can find negativity in pretty much anything.
ELCUCO  +   249d ago
I see... I'm sure there is a catch somewhere. Just like the "Free Streaming Music" turns out its only free 15 songs.
mhunterjr  +   249d ago
A free gift isn't a middle finger to anyone. I would love to have something free, been with Xbox live since the month after it was introduced, but I didn't receive an email. Still, I don't feel like Microsoft owes me anything free.

I don't see how people can try to turn a free gift into a negative.
IVanSpinal  +   249d ago
true
Funky Town_TX  +   249d ago
The M $ bashing has hit an all time low.
BattleTorn  +   249d ago
I'm quite familar with seeing this type of non-sense in comment sections - but from a actually written article, it is a all time low.

This is like saying "Adopting an african child is like giving the middle finger to the remaining African children"

Or feeding a homeless person is "a middle finger" to all other homeless.

Donating to charity is giving a middle finger to all other charities.

and - the best yet - free product is a middle finger to consumers....
#12.1 (Edited 249d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
christocolus  +   249d ago
lmao...what an article ..it didnt take the fbs too long to spin this into a bad thing.
#13 (Edited 249d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
SovereignSnaKe  +   249d ago
~I'm really excited for Killer Instinct, but would it be too much trouble for M$ to just make it completely free (all characters) for those who buy at launch?
Dread  +   249d ago
wow great article. It clarified to me how givng things for free is actually a bad thing.

I thought it was good, but thanks for helping me understand.

Sony fanatics everywhere should be very proud of this author. He really takes fanboyism to a new level.
#15 (Edited 249d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Hartsy  +   249d ago
So when the Xbox gamer score was being hacked a few years ago those who got away with it now get rewarded.... Cheaters never prosper, but on gta online they have and now here >.>
Xyconaut  +   249d ago
why would they give a free game to the people who have been giving up the cash steadily for over a decade? what's another 10 years eh fellas? open up those wallets for a rodgering,"next gen" style!!!
HumanAfterAll  +   249d ago
See I like this, I got a code for KI as well.

BUT

Seeing as I have been on Xbox for 8 years and have over 200K Gamerscore, Spend thousands of dollars on games and DLC and games on demand, I feel that a free game with all the characters just given to me is a slap in the face.

Do I feel entitled? nah, I'm over it already. But still why not a copy of Forza or Ryse or DR3? Why a Freemium game that I really don't care about?

It just kinda sucks. Oh well. I'm still excited for my console.
BattleTorn  +   249d ago
Well, at least you don't *feel* the entitlement.
#18.1 (Edited 249d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
HumanAfterAll  +   249d ago
So what are you trying to say?

Why don't you just out with it?
BattleTorn  +   249d ago
Someone actually had the audacity to pen their name on this article?

Dino Hunter: Deadly Shores - How to get free gold, map pieces and cash

4h ago - WP - "Dino Hunter: Deadly Shores is a spinoff of the Deer Hunter series, with (of course) dinosau... | iPhone

Deadstone Gameplay video - Action, tactics and the infected

4h ago - A video which takes a closer look at Timeslip Softworks' action based tactical shooter Deadstone... | PC

Madden NFL 15 Jaguars Team Analysis

5h ago - Madden-School writes, "The Jacksonville Jaguars are unquestionably the worst team in Madden NFL 1... | Xbox 360

WoW Warlords of Draenor Beta: High Poly models, Benchmarks

5h ago - The guys at PC Games Hardware did some graphics cards benchmarks with the Beta version of WoW War... | PC

Study Game Design at DeVry

MMO Rage: Player Whining Over F2P MMOs

6h ago - Just a few years ago, the thought of most online games on the market would be f2p mmos would be c... | Industry