Submitted by Denton56 421d ago | opinion piece

As The Xbox One Attracts More Controversy, More Importance is Placed On Titanfall

While of course a final Titanfall game that falls well short of expectations would lend a different set of problems for Microsoft, the more interesting case comes if the game turns out to be as good as footage and previews have suggested, and as lucrative as well. In that case, then by the time that more systems start to hit the shelves and the non-early adopters start considering making system purchases early next year, “Tianfall” will be in a position to move Xbox Ones similar to the way that “Halo” moved the original Xbox. (Microsoft, TitanFall, Xbox One)

theBAWSE  +   421d ago
bungie made the xbox with halo

I'm sure they want to do the same with destiny and make it a system seller

going to be interesting to see which game is better received between titanfall and destiny
NewMonday  +   421d ago
well, pre-orders show Destiny is much more popular despite releasing much later than Titanfall on XB1

Titanfall on XB1= 56,532

Destiny on XB1= 71,438
Destiny on PS4= 95,683
Bigpappy  +   421d ago
Those numbers are from VGchartz, but I get and agree with the point you are trying to make: Destiny can not be a system seller unless it is different on the 2 next gen consoles.

I expect both games to do very well. I PS4 sells more in the west,it will carry more copies of Destiny. If 360 sells better in the west, it will carry more copies.
georgeenoob  +   421d ago
Does it matter how many preorders it gets? When I want to see if a game is good I look at stuff like previews and hands-on, not pre-orders. Every preview of Titanfall says this is a killer game. Day ONE.
#1.1.2 (Edited 421d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(44) | Report
HugoDrax  +   421d ago
Why does everyone continue to post pre order numbers, as if that dictates a games success? I haven't pre ordered Destiny, Infamous, or TitanFall and I'll have all 3 on release.
PSVita  +   421d ago
@bigpappy- not everyone's a fanboy buddy. If someone's planning on getting an XB1 or PS4 and specifically gets it for Destiny that makes it a system seller.
Funantic1  +   421d ago
@newmonday Destiny started it's preorder way early. It was like last year or so when I went to Gamestop to buy something and the guy asked me did I want to preorder Destiny with $5 down. Anytime you start a preorder on a game 1-2 years before it comes out then the preorders will look like a lot, which Destiny will sell. Imagine preordering GTA 6 right now. Titanfall's available preorder is way closer to it's release day.
BayKidSwerve  +   421d ago
That is probably the biggest mistake for Titanfall, putting the release close to another amazing looking game. Destiny is bound to do amazing being a multiplat and looking like a true next gen game. But an exclusive like Titanfall competing? Most of my friends that are xbox fans say due to limited money they are going for destiny. Or I might be just dead wrong and it does fine.
#1.1.6 (Edited 421d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(4) | Report
QuickdrawMcgraw  +   421d ago
I don't think a mutiplayer only will be a system seller.A lot of people enjoy a great single player story to go with the multiplayer.
guitarded77  +   421d ago
Destiny has some insane amount of money invested in it... it has to sell way more than Titanfall, and I expect it to sell way more then Titanfall.

Destiny looks insanely good with it's open persistent online and dynamic events. Titanfall looks like Modern Warfare with mechs and wall running.

I think Titanfall will sell and have a decent following, but Destiny will be something truly special. In My Opinion :D
mistertwoturbo  +   421d ago
I'm looking forward to trying Titanfall on the PC though.
Gozer  +   421d ago
Im sure both games will do well. Destiny will naturally sell more because its multiplat. With the deal Bungie made with Acti, Destiny has to do exceptionally well to see a sequel.
jackanderson1985  +   421d ago
not necessarily if destiny is aloada crap (which i hope it isnt) it could have abysmal sales... or maybe titanfall will just be an absolutely amazing game and sell a ridiculous amount of copies
MysticStrummer  +   421d ago
From the sound of Destiny, I'm not sure sequels are what they have in mind. More like adding to the existing universe over time.
fenome  +   421d ago
@Gozer

They've got a 10 year contract with Activision to be working on this game.
rainslacker  +   421d ago
Destiny's business model is more akin to an MMO like World of Warcraft. No real squeals, just a persistent living world. Micro-transactions will take place. Any "sequel" will be in the form of expansion packs, or DLC as it's more commonly called today.

Could be spin off games though. Wouldn't mind a SP version, since I'm not into MP that much.
Gozer  +   420d ago

They are scheduled to make 4 Destiny games in the next 10 years, as well as an expansion pack for each game.
ZBlacktt  +   421d ago
Destiny is a vast/worldly game! It's going to draw in thousands and thousands of gamers. Moving from planet to planet to moons. From classes to clans, etc.

This game is going to be huge come closer to launch time.
#1.3 (Edited 421d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
GaoomDerek  +   421d ago
Bungie has a huge opportunity to make this game a vast universe. I'm looking forward to it.
fenome  +   421d ago
I'm stoked on this game! I love the customization, exploration and everything about it.
ifistbrowni  +   421d ago
Why are people talking about destiny on a titanfall article?

I dont think titanfall will appeal to the masses. The gameplay videos i've seen hardly make it seem like a competitive game.

While having jet-packs to seamlessly wall-run and jump on roofs looks awesome... im afraid it will make players too elusive so most of the attention will be on killing the people in titans. At least, that's what happened in the few videos i saw. That, and killing the random NPCs/bots that wonder the map. Rarely did it seem like they were killing ppl from the other team.
MysticStrummer  +   421d ago
I don't see either game as a system seller since they are both on multiple platforms. I think the interesting thing will be to compare the visuals of all the versions of Titanfall. The game will look best on PC and XB1, but sell most on PC and 360.
koolaid251  +   421d ago
TitanFall and Destiny are 2 different games.
H0RSE  +   420d ago
@the BAWSE

"bungie made the xbox with halo."

- Actually, Microsoft made the Xbox with Halo. Bungie was originally slated to design Halo as an RTS game for Mac and WIndows. It wasn't until MS acquired Bungie which effectively turned Halo into an Xbox launch title, that we wound up with what we got.

If not for MS, Halo likely would have been a completely different game, that never even touched consoles.
#1.6 (Edited 420d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
HammadTheBeast  +   421d ago
Titanfall is more like Gears than Halo. Sure it moves units, but it's also on PC (yes I know, MS hur de hur, but the point is to move consoles).

It's the only major game which is swaying people for XBO right now.

So far, Sony haven't shown their ace cards. (Naughty Dog, SSM, Media Molecule etc.)
MysticStrummer  +   421d ago
"it's also on PC"

360 also, and it will almost certainly sell more on those two platforms than on XB1.
rainslacker  +   421d ago
Gears of War was on PC also. It still moved 360's without much issue. Halo 2 was also on PC, and again, it moved 360 units. Kicker though is that Titanfall it is also on 360, and because of that, many people may not see the need to upgrade to the X1 just for one game.

I'm sure it'll move some console units though. Or it may flop. Or it'll sell marginally well but not achieve what people say. Or it'll be the next big thing, so mech games will be the next gen overused game thing. Only time will tell.
mistertwoturbo  +   421d ago
Gears of War didn't come on the PC until a year later. Halo 2 didn't come out on PC until years later. You aren't making an apples to apples comparison. Titanfall will release on PC day and date with the 360/X1 versions.

I have a feeling it will do very well on the 360 though.
#2.2.1 (Edited 421d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
rainslacker  +   421d ago
I actually wasn't aware of that. I only played GeOW and Halo on PC, and found them to be good games. It's the reason why Halo is actually one of the few FPS's that I actually enjoy playing. GeOW was a technical marvel at the time of it's release, which is why I enjoyed it, although I found the story lacking.

Otherwise, console and PC markets really aren't the same market for the majority of gamers. If people play predominately on console then they are probably going to get the console version if they have a 360/X1. If they prefer PC, they will get it on PC. If a console player really wants to play this game, and is on the PS4/WiiU, then they can just get it for their PC.

Time will tell, that was the point I was trying to make overall.
koolaid251  +   421d ago
A different team is making the 360 version of TitanFall not Respawn.
H0RSE  +   420d ago
Key words in your comment are "right now." There will be other exclusives that help push X1's into people's homes, for instance, the next Halo.
#2.3 (Edited 420d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
HammadTheBeast  +   420d ago
That's true. Halo, maybe Gears, will move units, especially if they make Halo as good as they say.
urwifeminder  +   421d ago
I must have missed the controversy either way titan fall has a lot of people talking.
corvusmd  +   421d ago
Most of the controversy is just rumors that PS Fanboys are trying to spread, the other things aren't nearly as important as they try to make you believe....I have to be honest though...the more people try to discount MS/XB1...the more it makes me want one...counting MS out is a REALLY REALLY stupid idea...and if MS gets off to a bad start, it will only benefit XB1 gamers during the run. Besides, if you step back, the bigger picture still has XB1 looking better....most games look better on XB1, they have the better exclusives and the only network that can be considered next gen...PSN is a joke compared to XBL...the only advantage PS4 has over XB1 so far is that BF4 and COD have higher NATIVE resolutions, but after being upscalled they are both 1080p...any difference will be hardly noticeable if at all. Most of this could be due to confusion for developers while MS was making changes, and it could fix itself rather quickly....who knows, maybe even a patch could fix that..either way, I'm sure it still looks amazing...to me Native 1080p on PSN is not better than upscalled 1080p on XBL. After seeing BF4 comparison and seeing that the XB1 version actually looks better despite being a lower native res makes me thing that it'll be the same for COD
dead_eye  +   421d ago
opinions like facts. You could just shorten it to I love MS saves everyone time
karl  +   421d ago
im glad he didnt shorten his comment

it was really funny
HammadTheBeast  +   420d ago
I hope he got a nice check for that. It would be sad to type that all out without getting paid.
KYU2130  +   421d ago
Corvusmd--did you get a check from MS for that long comment???

Can you explain to me how MS getting off to a bad start benefits gamers down the line?? They got off to a bad start with this the coming gen and seem to keep falling into a pile of crap every time they dig themselves out of another one.

Have you seen the exclusives from both sides? How can you claim which has better exclusives?

As for your comment about a patch to fix resolution issues, are you serious???

A lot of your rhetoric about the XB1 is based on early Xbox 360 information. You have no idea how the PS4 and PSN interact with each other. Or how XB1 with
interact with XBL.

As a programmer with a degree in marketing MS is doing a poor job of damage control.

you can't scream we are the most powerful system and them throw out titles lower res than your competition.

As for TitanFall. I see this game as something interesting to keep an eye on for 2 reasons.

1 it could be the new Halo for MS
2 it could eventually be the reason MS re-instates some of its unwanted recently removed system features.
Lboogieskells  +   421d ago
Try a couple of line-breaks man, I stopped reading half way through.
gamertk421  +   421d ago
Everything corvus said is correct.
Hicken  +   420d ago
"Native 1080p on PSN is not better than upscalled 1080p on XBL"

That's not only not correct, it's one of the most stupid things I've ever heard on this site. And I've heard some EXTREMELY stupid things around here. Some of them were even from him.
DigitalRaptor  +   421d ago
Could you try formatting your responses so they are somewhat readable and not walls of text?

I'm trying to read it, I am. It just sounds like: "I prefer Xbox, so I'm going to defend it despite everything we know about both systems and downplay the PS4's strengths". Or as dead_eye said, could just shorten it to: "I love MS".

"the only advantage PS4 has over XB1 so far..."

Do you want me to make a list?? Do you really want that? I don't, but sometimes it's necessary.
#4.5 (Edited 421d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
mistertwoturbo  +   421d ago
lol still can't believe people like this guy truly really believes in his heart that upscaled 720p to 1080p looks the same as real 1080p.

I don't know whether to feel sorry or laugh.
mxrider2199  +   421d ago
wow the delusional comment from this fanboy is insane lols..... you obviously have never used PSN b4 or read any articles that are positive towards PS or PSN that explain how great both are but you probably also are 12 and only play cod
2v1  +   421d ago
like a good sheep, corvu says "Baaaaahh.....baaaaaaah
#4.8 (Edited 421d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Mohlest   421d ago | Spam
Infernostew  +   421d ago
Titanfall will be a better seller on 360 for sure.
xReDeMpTiOnx  +   421d ago
This game reminds of cod 4 hype. And my guess is it simply will pass with flying colors off pure hype alone.

I have a feeling that this will be ps2 gen all over again.
Belking  +   421d ago
Titan fall will take over the multi-player space when its released. The xbox-360 version will be the lead seller for obvious reasons.
mochachino  +   421d ago
Way too many great shooters coming to make Titanfall a make or break game, or a major reason to get one console over the other. I'd be surprised if it's more popular than BF4 which may become the king of competitive MP. Being an exclusive may actually hurt Titanfall's brand value in the long run.

Also, online mp is going to change this gen, team based games like Destiny and The Division are the future.

K/D games like COD, BF4 and now Titanfall will remain popular but a new champ is coming. The most popular game and type of game is never the most popular game/type of game in subsequent gens.

I hope Titanfall does well, but this new gens "COD4" will be nothing like COD4.
Codey47  +   421d ago
Despite what the xboners think.... I have zero interest in Titan Fall.
Crysis meets Call Of Duty with a dash of Walter Whites blue stuff In a re-skinned Battlefield 2142....It's just a less skilled free for all f*ckfest

I've been at the heart of COD and COD:UO in it's prime on PC and loved those days...don't get me wrong. But any new features that Gray Matter Introduced with COD:UO, West and Zampella erased.
They were asphyxiating the series.

Call Of Duty 2 released on PC and the backlash IW recieved for the omission of Punkbuster....resulted in a worldwide rally to boycott the game.

I class these two Infinity Ward rejects as the Microsoft of developers...in other words they assume they know what their target audience/long time fan wants so they make stupid decisions on their obtuse assumptions .

Anywho, I hope Microsoft throw millions after millions at Respawn
to keep this an M$ exclusive. TBH I'd rather have Walter White's bluestuff without the other stuff!
#10 (Edited 421d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Visiblemarc  +   421d ago
The amount of Titanfall articles is disproportionate, all things considered. The game looks cool, but it's basically xb1's hail mary pass at this point. They need to promote other things too.
Disagree  +   421d ago
titanfall is still aways out. sheesh.
Lboogieskells  +   421d ago
Microsoft made a mistake by letting Titanfall go to the 360. Because it's not a console exclusive and will be available on PC.

The consumer has a choice to play the game on two other platforms, selling Titanfall on the 360 will be great for sales, but will also hurt the sales of the Xbox One.

Why invest an xtra 500 dollars into a console when I can get for my 360? Why buy an Xbox 1 when I can get Titanfall on my gaming PC? These are the questions Microsoft should be scared about.
#13 (Edited 421d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DialgaMarine  +   421d ago
With all the consumer backlash against M$, EA would be NOT to bring Titanfall to PS4 eventually. I know people think preorders are BS, but they at least give a decent idea of where a game is at in terms of demand for it. In the case of Titanfall vs. Destiny, Destiny is annihilating it. Yeah, Titanfall is getting positive previews, but at the end of the day, it's going to get shafted if it stays exclusive. Contrary to what Xbots like to tell themselves and the world, the game will not sell consoles if people know how terrible the console actually is. The game will hurt, and it needs to go multiplat before the XBone ruins it.
dansdooz  +   420d ago
I agree i think being exclusive to xbox is probably the worst move they could make, once a few more titles are confirmed at running half the resolution of ps4 the xbox one will only for the die hard fans with brand loyalty.
BOLO  +   421d ago
Boosting up and placing all your chips on one game to save Xbox One from the controversy it has brought on itself? Forgot about all the other games scheduled to release on both consoles as they're no Titanfall...-_-
DialgaMarine  +   420d ago
The fact that M$ is having to put so much emphasis on Titanfall now pretty much shows just how confident they are in their other exclusives. If this game is remotely as good as people are saying, I hope it doesn't have to suffer by being exclusive to the console for long. There's no way one game, no matter how good, can help a console that is pretty much already a failure before it even releases.
purp13m0nk3y  +   421d ago
Titanfall is looking good. All the reports I've read say that gameplay wise its great, an immense amount of fun and all.

But Most people that have had some hands on time with the game all agree on its shortcomings from a technical and graphical point of view. Even on PC the choice to go with the Source engine gives the game a very "last gen" feel. It just doesn't have that jaw dropping "WOW" factor Halo did when it released.

Two problems I see with Titanfall being the Xbox1's saviour.

1. Its not a Xbox1 exclusive. If you have even a half decent PC you can play it, and probably have it be a better experience (higher res, better frame rate ect)

2. Its not the "Killer App" that Halo was. I mean HEAPS of people bought an Xbox just to play Halo, because it was ground breaking. Both in terms of graphics (nothing on console came close at the time). And game play (it really did revolutionise the FPS in a lot of ways, especially on console)

It will sell for sure, especially if they can nail the gameplay, which looks likely at this stage. But it wont make me buy an Xbox1. I'll just play on my PC.
quenomamen  +   421d ago
Pining your hopes on one game, hoping it turns things around for you ? Bad strategy.
mic_cala  +   421d ago
And this is why sony beong succesfull is so important to me anyway.because all ms and xbox will give us is generic experiences like titanfall which looks awesome but in sayin that just another online shooter.xbox and ms dont know what original is.

Sony is the only place where u can have original game experiences and not just ur run of the mill games.

I recently been playin ico and sotc hd versions and the games are as awesome as when i first played them.

How catherine a quirky japanese game i thought was awesome or games like journwy or despite it being panned beyond two soulds and so many more where either the story or the concept is just something original.

That why i game for experiences and yes i enjoy shooters and what not but its the original games i look forward to most.

And xbox will just give u watever they know will sell best which typical games like cod titanfall halo gears.

Sony are the only company willin to take risks with thw kind of games they make.theres a reason the studios they own are the best.

Because they just let them make games and dont tell them whatkind of games they need to make.
#18 (Edited 421d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Mac420  +   421d ago
TitanFalll won't outsell Destiny for 2 reasons, 1. It's Destiny 2.It's Bungie.

I loved COD when these guys did it, But I'm sorry Destiny is going to do what Halo did so many years ago. Don't think people are ready for Destiny, Doesn't help Bungie never shows off anything either.

Idk maybe it's just me but games like GTA Online ( Once we can actually get updates for new content) Destiny, The Division that's the direction I hope shooters go.

Shooters at this current time just remind me of a child's playpen, The devs just keep adding more toys. You can only add so many toys to the little playpen, till it's time for a bigger one.

Milky Way is all else I have to say!
dethpuck  +   421d ago
Titanfall us the first killer app. Less than 4 months to go
MightyNoX  +   421d ago
Why should people get Titanfall on the bone if it runs on the same resolution as the 360?
Software_Lover  +   421d ago
It's not attracting controversy, people and their blogs are making controversy where there is none.
ichdich  +   420d ago
Titanfall will be epic for sure
xDHAV0K24x  +   420d ago
IMO pre order for me is pointless unless ur getting special editions. I did pre order titanfall but not destiny.
dansdooz  +   420d ago
Good article, the xbox one is in a terrible mess right now and i dont think even the hype for titanfall can save it, imagine if titanfall looks worse than gamescom and runs in 720p! Expect xbone sale to fall off a cliff in the new year, most likely mine will be going on ebay and i will be after a ps4.
Sony guys have nothing to worry about, i bet even respawn is embarassed they are locked to xb1.
mediate-this  +   420d ago
Destiny is the type of the game that is taking a chance, i think it will do good, with the gamers who enjoy rpg style shooters, mmo shooters and the such. Titanfall is not really taking that huge of chance, going the route they know, i see titanfall and see cod but refreshed, and that is not a bad thing, mechs, wall running, thats cool in my mind.

It too is a online multiplayer, seems alot of mmo's will be coming next gen. Anyways, titan fall are made by the people who brought us cod, titanfall will likely be popular with the easy to get into fast paced style shooter.

Destiny will have a good community too, just i see different styles of gamers eating this up, destiny seems like it is slow paced, build up your stats, get a good team going, titan fall grab the controller and play.

Both will do good, i really believe titanfall will do good, but titanfall 2 will do alot better.
quaneylfc  +   420d ago
erm quantum break i'll have you know. you fondant fancy!!

Indiegogo Game Crest Opts For Flexible Funding To Expand

23m ago - Developers Eat Create Sleep hope to raise interest in the game enough to make it a far bigger pro... | PC

New Patch for the PC Version of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Released

23m ago - Robert Allen Peeler, the online community manager for Kojima Productions’ Los Angeles-based studi... | PC

SuperPhillip Central: Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U) Review

43m ago - Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is an unpolished title with plenty of good ideas that are overshadowed... | Wii U

Review: Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) - Nintendomination

43m ago - The Umbran witch is just cool, sexy and quick-witted, and could teach some princesses lot of sel... | Wii U

Front-end Developers Wanted

Now - Want to help us build the new N4G platform? | Promoted post

Metro GameCentral Video Games Top 20 of 2014 – from Mario Kart 8 to Shadow Of Mordor

51m ago - GameCentral names its favourite games from one of the most controversy-filled years gaming has ev... | PC