Submitted by Abriael 278d ago | video

Check Out a Video of a PS4's DualShock 4 Used to Play Battlefield 3 on PS3: it Definitely Works Well

Now that the DualShock 4 is out in the wild, at least in Canada, someone already hooked it up to his PS3 and tried to play some games.

Here's a video with Battlefield 3, and it definitely looks like it's working well as soon as the player gets rolling. (Battlefield 3, PS3, PS4)

Attached Video
Alternative Sources
Lukas_Japonicus  +   278d ago
This would be so useful for people who aren't ready to make the jump to next gen and also dislike the DS3.
Abriael  +   278d ago
And how well it works. After the dude actually gets rolling, he kills stuff like a pro.
LiQuiZoN  +   278d ago
I thought this video would be lame but it was awesome, it's a example of an well crafted controller! You can see how his aiming adapted quickly. He only used it a minute. I'm very excited. Super precise and fluid.
#1.2 (Edited 278d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
dantesparda  +   278d ago
Wait, you can use the ds4 on the ps3?
Bob Dole  +   278d ago
Looks as if you can do it wired for sure; anyone know anything about using it wirelessly?
Knushwood Butt  +   278d ago
Yeah, news to me too.

It does seem to be connected via USB cable, so maybe wired only?
#1.3.2 (Edited 278d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Dmarc  +   278d ago
I think he said you can't use it wireless it also doesn't rumble.
Majin-vegeta  +   278d ago
I hope Sony leaves it like this and doesnt patch it.It would mean more sales for tthem.

I gotta get me one of these asap.
Abriael  +   278d ago
They literally can't patch it. It's a HID device, and that's why it's recognized automatically by PCs, and by every device that supports the standard, including the PS3.
NoWayOut  +   278d ago
So does that mean DS3 will work on PS4?
Abriael  +   278d ago
NoWayOut: unlikely, as the DS3 is NOT a HID device. It doesn't work on PC without dedicated drivers.
#2.1.2 (Edited 278d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(2) | Report
AbortMission  +   278d ago
Wow really? Would I be able to use a DS4 with my Galaxy s4 to play games? Would be so much better
BrownLightning  +   278d ago
@abort I bet so, I mean a DS3 can be...
Lboogieskells  +   278d ago
I hope they patch it so its Bluetooth compatible.
GrandpaSnake  +   278d ago
YES and so it ends! the ds4 will claim the controller throne.
HowarthsNJ  +   278d ago
So it will only work tethered?
Abriael  +   278d ago
Yes, as the wireless tech used by PS3 and PS4 is different.
OrangePowerz  +   278d ago
I don`t think Sony said anything about the DS4 if it would use bluetooth to connect or not. Depending on that they could make it work wireless on the PS3. Given that they already said that Move controllers work on the PS4 it would appear that they use for both consoles bluetooth for controller connection.

As for the discussion further up. The DS3 wouldn`t make sense on the PS4 anyway because it lacks the extra touchpad and buttons from the clickable touchpad. Therefore the issue wouldn`t be that it wouldn`t be possible to have it connect but that it wouldn`t make sense.
MELMAN26  +   278d ago
This is a REALLY cool move by Sony....I am gonna see if I can buy one tomorrow.
swishersweets20031  +   278d ago
i might be talking out of my ass but i could see this being potential for them to make alot of money on controller sales. For those sticking with current gen for a while that want to try out the new controller could see if they like how the new sticks feel for their shooting games like this example above. I know i'll take advantage of using a ps4 controller on the ps3 just to see how it is. having different back r2 l2 buttons might make ps3 racing games more enjoyable possibly as well.
OrangePowerz  +   278d ago
If it becomes general knowledge that the controller works with the PS3 I can see them selling many controllers to PS3 users.
HighResHero  +   278d ago
It would be cool if I could use it for my PS4, PS3, Laptop, and maybe find a way to use it with my Vita, etc.
#5.1.1 (Edited 278d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
wishingW3L  +   278d ago
I was going to buy one anyway for the PC but if it works on PS3 then OMGBBQ!
mistertwoturbo  +   278d ago
OMGBBQ indeeed
InTheZoneAC  +   278d ago
someone can't snipe...
josephayal  +   278d ago
i like it, the suspense is giving me a hernia
scott182  +   278d ago
Relax the abdominal muscles my friend, we will get our beautiful machines soon enough!
DEEBO  +   278d ago
This is really good move by sony.
selling your controllers on both systems will make a great profit.
wishingW3L  +   278d ago
yo this is huge!
Shakengandulf  +   278d ago
Hey, get ya hands off that!!
IIZANGETSUII  +   278d ago
Looks good for BF but it doesnt work with all games, for example FIFA is unplayable with DS4.
#10 (Edited 278d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Jac5al  +   278d ago
gamingisnotacrime  +   278d ago
Please be true. I will buy a ds4 formy ps3 day one. It might be wired but I dont mind, I use wired headphones anyway
soljah  +   278d ago
if true it might end being harder to find ds4 the ps4 launch bundles. this is amazing
Jughead3416  +   278d ago
Poor guy. That's like getting a new bike for Christmas, and your parents won't let you ride it until it gets warm outside.
Convas  +   278d ago
Oh man. Right in the feels. X(

Never forget, Christmas '98.
#14.1 (Edited 278d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Funky Town_TX  +   278d ago
I just might get me one for this, because the DS3 does not work best for me.
fghtrer3fb5erg  +   278d ago
Yeah but the bad part about it is that it only works with the usb cable plugged in, my ps3 is sitting like 4 meters from me.
TechMech2  +   278d ago
Maybe fps games will finally be fun on playstation with the new controller.
Schizoid  +   278d ago
...
#17.1 (Edited 278d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Flutterby  +   278d ago
Trolls don't even try any more
Brutallyhonest  +   278d ago
FPS games have always been really fun on all Playstation hardware. This new controller will only add to that experience.
#17.3 (Edited 278d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Hicken  +   278d ago
To you, perhaps. I've had more than my share of fun on Killzone, Call of Duty, and Battlefield this gen on PS3(didn't care much for Resistance or Crysis).
solidjun5  +   278d ago
Maybe you will stop bring a troll. Miracles have happened.
TENTONGUN  +   278d ago
i was a hardcore 360 fps gamer till the ps4 was announced. immediately sold my shit and picked up my dusty ds3 . after adjusting i am far better with the ds3 for fps . just sayin
#17.6 (Edited 278d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SoulSercher620  +   278d ago
Hard to believe with all the trolling you do you even play on a PS3 at all.
TechMech2  +   277d ago
Why does everyone think I'm trolling? I hate how the sixaxis doesn't have concave analog sticks. I plan on buying a ds4 and playing Killzone 3 as soon as possible, because I don't like the sixaxis
ElementsUnknown  +   278d ago
It's too bad you can't remap the triggers to the bottom when you play on the PS3. I would love to see how easy the shooting is with the new concave triggers. I know the PS4 is default mapped to them.
#18 (Edited 278d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
NukaCola  +   278d ago
You can swap them in some games. Many titles still support R12/L2 shooting configs so now it won't be uncomfortable with devs that map controls with a 360 setup.
SignifiedSix91  +   278d ago
Am i the only one that sees input lag?
Flutterby  +   278d ago
I am pretty sure it's just you , I read your comment before watching the vid so I kept my eyes on his fingers along with the action in game and it look like no lag at all to me. You can see how there is no lag the best when he is showing himself shooting the gun , the gun shoots as soon as he presses the trigger.
SignifiedSix91  +   278d ago
I'm talking in movement. It looks like it has a slight delay, but probably because this controller isn't built around the PS3 and BF3 notoriously having input lag on the PS3 version.

Idk, might just be lag from crap youtube.
jetlian  +   278d ago
looks fake! or there is lag. the ads doesn't match up at 1 min to 1:05

in fact he doesn't let off it but the ads is changing
#20 (Edited 278d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
harbie  +   278d ago
Anyone seen any in the US?
Philaroni  +   278d ago
You know, this is kind of a random thought but I wonder how hard it will be for people to find a DS4. I mean with all the PS3s out there lets say only 10 million of them want this for PS3 but don't want a PS4 yet. I can see a massive shortage of controllers if Sony were to push this. Not sure if they will but I'd love to see a FW update that made it work better. This would be a very cool update for the PS3. I mean why not?

I'd say MS could do the same thing but it is using Wifi Direct or what ever it is called for Xbox one so I don't think it would work.
Unztayble  +   278d ago
I noticed that the Home button didn't respond. 1:16
SoulSercher620  +   278d ago
I actually noticed that too. If it truly doesn't work then I may have to reconsider getting a DS4 for my PS3. I also wonder if sixaxis works with DS4 as well.
fredrikpedersen  +   278d ago
Can you do it without the cable?
iceman06  +   278d ago
Probably not...different wireless tech between the PS3 and PS4...at least from what I have heard.
SignifiedSix91  +   277d ago
They both use Bluetooth, so i don't see why not. lol.
BattleTorn  +   278d ago
Com'on!! GTA is RIGHT THERE, show us DAT!!!
BattleTorn  +   278d ago
Geez, Jimmy Fallon was better at playing BF3 :P
Zephyrus34  +   277d ago
Any word on BF4 and Killzone being Mouse and Keyboard compatible?
zombie78rock  +   277d ago
It works on one game and how can u use start and select when the game calls for it. Oh wait D4 doesn't have start and select on the controller wont work for some game's and forget about pausing a game. by the way D4 wont be available until launch of the PS4 NOV 15 in North America. and it uses Bluetooth and has rumble.

Dark Souls II and Crown of the Sunken King - Xbox 360 Review | Chalgyr's Game Room

12m ago - Chalgyr's Game Room writes: The darkness has been punishing, almost oppressive. Multiple tunne... | Xbox 360

For the Love of Gaming Podcast Episode 165: Dark Souls Must Die

12m ago - The summer drought is still going on in the gaming world, so that means it was time for the 4LOG... | Xbox 360

The top 10 games from the first half of 2014

13m ago - Chalgyr's Game Room writes: The first half of 2014 blew by very quickly in the gaming industry... | PC

Girl Power

13m ago - Sebastian Young talks about his favourite women characters from the screen and how they could be... | Culture

Start Making Games for the PS4

Ubisoft on ‘The Crew’: Players can’t level up their crew when playing alone

13m ago - While speaking with Examiner, Andrew Willans, Senior Game Designer at Ubisoft Reflections, shared... | PC