Submitted by jonnyvito 434d ago | news

'PS Vita was a missed opportunity,' says British publisher, ‘it could have been amazing’

One of the UK's longest-running publishers talks about where Vita went wrong. (PS Vita, System 3)

Ced214  +   434d ago
Jesus Christ.

Is it dead? Damn. It didn't have the easiest start for vita, but it'll pick up after some time. People need to realize this. I don't care if it takes 5 years or what. It sure as hell is gonna last a long time because of its capabilities.

People losing hope for vita is just depressing. smh.
rambi80  +   434d ago
Nintendo, kings of handheld, had a horrid time with a 3ds launch at $250, so its no surprise that the vita is still struggling.

The difference between the 2 companies is the life span of their hardware. The PS2 was produced almost as long as the gamecube and wii combined. The psp is still going along as well.
#1.1 (Edited 434d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Ced214  +   434d ago
This is what i've been telling people. The vita is such an innovation of a handheld that it can last a very very long time.

Sony says that the vita is the partner of the ps4. Meaning, the vita is expected to exist as long as the ps4.
Blacktric  +   434d ago
And they got their s**t together in a year after release and it became one of the best selling handhelds of all time. It's been more than year since Vita released and it's barely seen actually good and original releases like Gravity Rush. It's all ports, ports and ports or generic action games that completely misses the point of a handheld device.

"The difference between the 2 companies is the life span of their hardware."

The difference was the diverse library of games back in 6th gen, and it's still the case now. You can conjure up all the excuses you want but unless Sony starts supporting Vita properly, it won't come close to being anything like the PSP or DS/3DS and will end up being remembered as a "companion device" for PS4.
#1.1.2 (Edited 434d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(22) | Report
jcnba28  +   434d ago
"The difference between the 2 companies is the life span of their hardware."

You do realize the original Wii and DS are still selling quite well in 2013?
rambi80  +   434d ago
^^^^

Yes, and currently the psp outsells them both combined. You also still see psp games at the top of the japan charts.

I'm not making excuses for vita, it has been handled horribly. But there is a lot of time ahead, far beyond the normal nintendo life cycle
stragomccloud  +   434d ago
Agreed. It'll be fine.
PSjesus  +   434d ago
I love my Vita but i really hoped if Sony released it after PS4 release date
SilentNegotiator  +   434d ago
The fact is, Sony didn't handle the Vita well and still isn't exactly doing an amazing job at it. It "was", "is" and likely "will be" a missed opportunity thanks to the poor (almost) two years that it has had.

Don't go straight to the "it isn't dead" hyperbole to justify a bad start. It's probably almost 1/3 of the way through its lifetime (not counting after 9th gen), anyway, so the "rocky start" is starting to become a "rocky midlife"
#1.4 (Edited 434d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
SilentNegotiator  +   433d ago
I guess I'm wrong. Vita must be selling gangbusters.

Such denial.
tubers  +   433d ago
It's not dead but it's doing bad outside Japan.

KZM only sold 41K NPD numbers (creamsugar neogaf leaker) US numbers.

It's pretty bad that the VITA doesn't have Skylanders as well (the article's iterviewee suggests the importance of younger audience).

The VITA's losing steam since launch.

CODBOD and AC3L sold past 100K and UCGA is still the highest selling game.

There will be a few sales spike here and there but nothing like the PSP getting FF:CC and GTA games.

It's unlikely to "pick up" anytime but don't expect any sudden discontinue of the platform.
rambi80  +   434d ago
Its hard to support both a console and a handheld. The crappy COD and Resistance really hurt them.

The ps4 is more important to them financially because of the added revenue streams as compared to the handheld. It will be interesting to see what impact the vita TV ha.s
#2 (Edited 434d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
tubers  +   433d ago
There is NO ADDED revenue stream as the PS (1, 2, 3 and now 4) home console has been a revenue stream day one.

Console = a "revenue stream"
Mobile = a "revenue stream"

Dropping the VITA is a LOSS of "stream" (mobile).

Just say that the PS4 will have higher revenue.
Atomicjuicer  +   434d ago
Ipad and doubters damaged the vita which launched with awesome games that everybody just assumed didnt exist.

Consequently people like studio Liverpool went out of business waiting and my favourite Sony exclusive (wipEout) was cancelled for ps4.

In conclusion, you all suck. :)
memots  +   434d ago
I am very sad that no announcement have been made for a PS4 wipeout.
Btw Liverpool still lives on , they merge with evolution studio and are making DriveClub
SeraphimBlade  +   434d ago
What's all this "was" crap?
SeraphimBlade  +   434d ago
I don't mean that it's CURRENTLY a disappointment, I mean this attitude of talking about it in the past tense like it's already dead...
#4.1 (Edited 434d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Garrison  +   434d ago
The vita so far has been one of the worst mishandled systems I have ever seen.
It's the best portable system out there yet sony clearly refuse to market the thing no matter what. Most people out there still don't even know this thing exists.
Ced214  +   434d ago
I admit that there's credit in what you say. But let's try to be in Sony's shoes for a sec.

Knowing how things are, i'm sure the we'd have sent letters to a lot of companies (SE, Capcom, Namco Bandai etc.) making deals about bringing games on the system. Because since that's our product, we would want it so succeed. Sales = Money

But now we got to the game company's perspective. Is the company willing to RISK huge amounts of money on a handheld just picking up the pace? or a handheld that selling like hotcakes?

The point is, i don't think it's right to judge sony this early. They're not beginners at these things. I have faith in Sony, my ps vita and the future. PSP had a rough start, now everybody laughs at disbelief when they find out a person doesn't have one.
tiffac008  +   434d ago
Well hopefully the new localization studio that Sony created would help bring over those most wanted games from Japan because as long as those games remains stuck in Japan then there would be no improvement.

Sony should have played through the strength that made the PSP a success sooner. The western centric strategy was a total disaster.
#5.1.1 (Edited 434d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report
iceman06  +   433d ago
Correct. In fact, PSP had a very similar start. It was accused of the same things...no games, a port machine, etc. Then, they dropped the price, added a renewed ad campaign, made another model, and sales picked up. Sony is focusing on PS4 heavily. They are still supporting PS3 and they are trying to provide a boost for Vita. It will probably happen after the release of PS4 in Japan. (coincidentally that is also when I think that the Vita TV will get some attention in the West)
HighResHero  +   433d ago
Sony has missed some great marketing and other opportunities over the last few years that have left me scratching my head.
I've thought, "oh they must be waiting for such and such", then nope.
But the Vita system itself has barely begun to live since Sony had planned for it to accompany the PS4 for quite a while.
#5.2 (Edited 433d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Garrison  +   433d ago
"The future of the device is in Sony's hands and their decisions will determine how successful it is in the future for the most part."
Very well said, And I would say that this is the case more-so than some other systems which just "catch-on" quick because of a fad.
Sony banked hard on hardcore gamers getting this quick but as you can see that alone work well anymore.
The internet is full of people who post negative comments left and right about stuff they have no business talking about since they have no experience with it. That's why for every positive post about this thing from an owner about 10 others show up to reinforce their unwillingness to get the device as if doing that is crucial to their mental well-being.
mhunterjr  +   434d ago
The vita wasn't a missed opportunity, it was just a delayed opportunity. It's best days are ahead.
The Vita's story is the very reason I don't understand why people are so quick to write off the Xbox one. In this business, fast starts are nice, but they aren't a requirement for success.

The ps4 and the improved PSN were the best thing that could have happened for the vita. I'm almost sure it will take off, not to mention there will inevitably be PS4/vita bundles
#6 (Edited 434d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
hankmoody  +   434d ago
The marketing on this thing is absolutely horrible. And while the connectivity between the PS4 and Vita is a cool feature, how many PS4 owners will actually own one of these things to take advantage of it? It's a shame, really. Seems like it's an amazing handheld with no support whatsoever.
memots  +   434d ago
I know I will use that feature, and I'm getting a vita Tv as well. I like the idea of playing shadow fall on my Vita in bed, and I like the idea of playing gravity rush on my big screen.
calvincrack  +   434d ago
Where's the games? Where's the shiny ad proclaiming how easy it is to have "all the classics you remember!" at your fingertips? Also, people only want one device in their pocket so the vita needs great battery life and a way to comfortably make calls
hankmoody  +   434d ago
I completely forgot about the whole cell phone angle as well. The time for dedicated handhelds could very well be at an end now that smartphones are capable of playing high end games.
Soldierone  +   434d ago
I have a phone with a quad core processor and more ram than the vita, and have yet to find a single "high end" game to play on it, and any decent game I find has terrible touch controls. I've been looking for an RTS and decent RPG that hasn't been out for over a year all week.

Another example is looking up "best games to play" and its all the same. same 5 casual titles or same 5 knock off's of console ports by Gameloft. Can't even count how many Bejewled knock offs I find daily.
dredgewalker  +   434d ago
I'm having a hard time finding those "high end" games on my android phone. Even the DS and PSP's game library are still superior to any mobile phone game library. I'll stick with gaming on my Vita and 3DS while I do other things like making calls and texts on my smartphone. There is no way that mobile games will surpass dedicated portable consoles in depth and enjoyment when it comes to gaming.
r21  +   434d ago
I use my phone to call and text, not to game and waste battery life. I have 2 pockets for my vita and phone. Im ok with 2 devices.
fsfsxii  +   434d ago
I love my vita. It has this certain charm in games that i don't find anymore in consoles.

Whoever plays the "sales" game is pretty pathetic in my book.
Inception  +   434d ago
Really enjoying my Vita right now with Gravity Rush, The Walking Dead, and a bunch of PSP & PS1 games.

But you knew gamer this days. Rather than playing great games, they choose the job of a stockholder and masturbate to imaginary sales number. Ironic isn't it?
fsfsxii  +   434d ago
Gravity rush is really awesome, i didn't like it at first, but when things started to take off, my head was spinning without myself noticing.

LOL. You just summed up every NPD/Japanese retail sales thread.
rambi80  +   434d ago
+ bub

From people intentionally spoiling game endings to destroying user score aggregates to wishing the demise of companies, this gen has sickened me.

Micheal pacter should kickstart an analyst game.lol
#9.1.2 (Edited 434d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
DanielGearSolid  +   434d ago
The Ps4 Ps Vita bundle is the only way
Moncole  +   434d ago
Sony should have put exclusives on it instead of ports. I am not going to buy a system for games I can play on somthing, I will buy a system so I can play games that are not available anywhere.
#11 (Edited 434d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
GirlOnFire  +   434d ago
Sony's plan is perfect PS4 first PSV next. I'm happy how PSV is now but more games would be amazing! ^~^ It gives me time to switch between 3DS and Vita. Right now I'm playing Pokemon Y omg fun!! ^~^
FlyingFoxy  +   434d ago
While 3DS has a lot of quality games, Vita also has it's own strengths, one being it is very comfortable to hold for long periods whereas 3DS is not with its square sides, & not so great grip on the thumbstick.

Other plus's i like about the Vita is it's much better browser & YouTube player. It even plays videos from other websites in the main web browser which i didn't find out until recently by accident, like dailymotion.
Soldierone  +   434d ago
The only people missing an opportunity are the people saying the Vita is done.....
Sm00thNinja  +   434d ago
Wow can fanboys be more in denial?? I love the concept of the vita but the damn this has terrible support on all fronts. Basically no marketing and the only future it has relies on a console yet to release. It's been well over a year! I bought mine as soon as I graduated boot camp. I was so excited and have been getting stiffed ever since. Time... Give it time... Really?
r21  +   434d ago
Guy's kinda right, Sony didnt do great marketing for the vita during the years its been launched. Heres to hoping they make up for it once the vita2.0 launches world wide.
Sm00thNinja  +   434d ago
My vita is the best MP3 player I've ever had. That's my only positive
bulbulito  +   433d ago
Was your previous mp3 player a hamburger?
maniacmayhem  +   434d ago
The rise of tablets and smartphones is definitely a reason why the Vita didn't take off. The majority of people do not need an all powerful handheld system for their on the go lives. Especially when gaming outside and on the go may consist of 15 to 20 minutes.

This is why most mobile games are not this epic, AAA like experience that everyone claims these devices are missing. Developers know and understand that this market isn't about that.

Quick Hicken, come on in with a spin and a twist and yell at someone or accuse them of not owning a Vita.

See I can name drop too.
dredgewalker  +   434d ago
You do realize that tablets and mobile phones are more of a necessity than a gaming console right? A console is more of a luxury item and a majority of people who buys phones and tablets aren't really into the gaming lifestyle. If you're a real gamer you'd invest in a console not a smartphone that does gaming as a secondary function.
maniacmayhem  +   434d ago
Which is why I said:

"..majority of people do not need an all powerful handheld system for their on the go lives."

Being a real gamer has nothing to do with investing in a console(?) or did you mean handheld?
dredgewalker  +   434d ago
The majority of people aren't real gamers in my opinion so it doesn't matter to them if they need a powerful handheld for their daily lives. Being a real gamer means investing in dedicated gaming machines in any form. To me that's what separates the casuals from the hardcore. Anyone who is passionate about a hobby will never compromise. Being a gamer is a lifestyle for most people.
maniacmayhem  +   434d ago
So you are basically agreeing with me. The majority of people do not need an all powerful dedicated handheld system.

Which is why the Vita did not take off the way Sony had hoped it would.
kwyjibo  +   434d ago
The PS Vita is getting really interesting now with their indies. But Sony completely messed up their marketing.

They went all on technical specifications, which most people don't care about - and there was no way the console style lifecycle could compete longterm on specs vs the mobile industry.

I really wish Sony would put out another Xperia Play, and then keep updating that every year. The Xperia Play went with touchpads over thumbsticks, maybe the first generation wasn't very good - but now Valve are going with touchpads, and coupled with haptics, it sounds like it could work.
ShutUpDonny  +   434d ago
If Remote Play with the PS4 works as advertise, I will probably use my Vita more than my TV in the coming years.
azshorty2003  +   434d ago
Now with the PS4 connectivity, I see some positive changes coming. I think itll pick up for the Vita.
ilovefatgirls  +   433d ago
their biggest mistake was the memory cards end of story, you buy the machine and then hae to drop another fairly big chunk on a card, it was arrogant of them imo
rammstein91  +   433d ago
if ps vita 2000 model comes to europe,i'm going to definitely buy one,so oppurtunity wasn't missed
paul-p1988  +   433d ago
There is no denying that the Vita isn't do as well as it should, but it is by far the best handheld i have owned. Granted the majority of the games i have on it are multiplats, but i love playing PS1 and PSP games on it, and am waiting for FFX HD and God Eater 2 as my next two purchases.

The Japanese titles are what are selling the console more than the western ports imo.

Day of the Tentacle’s Graphics are Better Left Untouched

8m ago - Sometimes, it's better to leave a classic alone. | Culture

Crunchyroll heads to Wii U

1h ago - As of today, Wii U owners can access the Crunchyroll application, a leading global destination an... | Wii U

Fate/Stay Night Characters Make Cameos In Divine Gate

3h ago - GungHo Online Entertainment is taking their crossover strategy from Puzzle & Dragons and applying... | iPhone

Hyakka Ryouran Elixir ~Record Of Torenia Revival~ to release on April 9, 2015

3h ago - Kaga Create have announced the release date of the PS Vita game, Hyakka Ryouran Elixir ~Record Of... | PS Vita

Are you bored?

Now - Watch 10 seconds videos about games and game culture at COUB Gaming... | Promoted post

You Can Control This Guy's Real-Life Christmas Tree From Minecraft

4h ago - This is incredibly cool. Also, given the Internet's proclivity for dousing good intentions in gas... | Culture