Submitted by Elete23 556d ago | opinion piece

The 5 Worst Gaming Snobs of This Generation

The following list highlights some of the most fun-killing know-it-alls that you tend to encounter as a social gamer. They'll insult you for what you like, marginalize your accomplishments, and generally be a buzzkill. These people need to realize that we're all gamers, and it doesn't matter how you game, we're all part of the same community. (Culture, Grand Theft Auto V, Injustice: Gods Among Us, PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

360ICE  +   556d ago
There's really only one of these I'd really go as far as calling snobs, and that's PC gamers. I mean, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to prefer PC, graphics included, but some PC gamers do not understand console gamers, because they can't get an ******* unless they're staring at something in 1440p.

While I got the impression that a lot of people were turned off immediately by RYSE because it seemed to be a QTE-fest. Some PC gamers here on N4G seem to think that the game is just now starting to disappoint people because Crytek have lowered their priorities. I'm not saying it's good they did, but I'd rather have an ugly game that plays well than a pretty QTE nightmare. If you'd rather have a pretty QTE-game, than that's great for you, but that's really just your opinion. The article kind of makes that point too.
#1 (Edited 556d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(19) | Report | Reply
ifritAlkhemyst  +   556d ago
There are two types of PC gamers that a console gamer will call a snob.

The first is just that, a snob who ardently believes their platform is superior in every way and cannot conceive of any reason why you would want to play on anything less. They're jerk offs and even I ignore them.

The second is the provoked PC gamer, which I fall into. We really don't care that you like to play on consoles, we might even own one ourselves. What bothers us is when a console gamer says something that is clearly, ridiculously wrong. We correct them. They lash out at us for being douchebag PC gamers instead of, you know, doing a little research and understanding that they were wrong. But god forbid someone admit that on the internet, it's much easier to continue insulting one another.
Oschino1907  +   556d ago
But why do you care so much if someone clearly isn't sure about what they are saying?

Is it your life mission to correct console gamers who misspoke or do you equally correct pc gamers also when they provoke or talk out of their bungholes?
#1.1.1 (Edited 556d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(15) | Report
ifritAlkhemyst  +   556d ago
@ Oschino:

Obviously anyone. And I don't do it just for gaming, but in life in general.

Imagine sitting in a Composition Lit. class when someone explains that the larger the mass of the animal, the more intelligent the animal is, to give a personal example. Then imagine the entire class blindly agreeing with it. Now imagine that entire class telling other people that same incorrect information, and more people go on believing it. I'm the asshole that stops that misinformation dead in its tracks because it's the right thing to do.
#1.1.2 (Edited 556d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(2) | Report
thorstein  +   556d ago
Most console gamers own PCs and play PC games (oh and mobile (DS and Vita) games as well.

But I would add a sixth snob: The I will purposely rate a game subpar despite its obvious genius snob. (aka the hipster reviewer.) They will also rate mediocre games incredibly high, just to be different.

This is similar to the indie snob, but the hipster reviewer actually has favorite AAA games, which are may be subpar but rated highly by this snob.
SlapHappyJesus  +   556d ago
This is very much how it is.
There are actually very few "snob" PC gamers on this site. You only see us go on the attack when, as you said, people make ridiculous comments either against PC gaming or for console gaming.
Hell, I was pretty much purely console gaming until early this year. I still plan on owning the new consoles for their exclusives.
I am definitely pro-pc, but that doesn't make me anti-console. Just have your facts straight before you comment on either because I am the sort of person who will go out of my way to correct you . . . aka a "snob".
#1.1.4 (Edited 556d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(2) | Report
darthv72  +   556d ago
they forgot one. 'the (insert demographic) =/= the world' snob. AKA the sales snob.
NarooN  +   556d ago
You shouldn't say "PC gamer" as a slag-off term, but rather "PC elitist". I have been a PC gamer for ages, but I've never been snobbish about it. I don't see why elitists (and console fanboys) are so adamant about putting others down. I play games, not platforms.
360ICE  +   556d ago
He used the word PC gamers. I did specify what kind of PC gamers it's reasonable to talk about. So, yeah, basically elitists. But saying that elitists are snobs is like saying that snobs are snobs.

Anyway, all respect to that attitude. I play on PC every now and then too, and can totally see how some people prefer it to console.
MyFeetHurt  +   556d ago
i fall into provoked pc gamer. i also have an xbox and will be buying xbox one. Love consoles.

just dont try and tell me that any console graphics could be considered "high end."

i have paid to much $$$ on my rig to allow you to tell that lie.
zeal0us  +   556d ago
Some console gamers can be just as snobby as some PC gamers. All PC gamers aren't alike and the same can be said about all console gamers. Sadly both sides tend to get generalize base off the bad apples.
#1.5 (Edited 556d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
j-blaze  +   556d ago
what about naughty dog and their sheep? what about ps3 fanboys?
ALARM-clock  +   556d ago
I believe that falls under fanboys in general. And what have you got against Naughty Dog?
#2.1 (Edited 556d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
j-blaze  +   556d ago
ND is arrogant and disrespectful to other devs and their games are way too overrated.. their fans think they're superior or on par with legendary devs like Kojima Pro or Nintendo which is laughable!
ALARM-clock  +   556d ago
You're going out of your way to dispute someones opinion? Adjectives don't actually prove anything... and I hate to break it to you, but all the adjectives you just used (arrogant, disrespectful, laughable) could easily be used to describe your behavior right now.
#2.1.2 (Edited 556d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report
Swiggins  +   556d ago
No...just no...Naughty Dog is a very talented developer who's been more humble than anything.

Don't drag a good developers name though the mud because a few Playstation fanboys can't keep their foamy mouths shut.
DigitalRaptor  +   554d ago
j-blaze is still having nightmares about Naughty Dog and the time they collectively banded together and sexually abused Kojima and Miyamoto. Such injustice to come to gaming, we need a union of gamers fighting against devs being abused by other devs.

I imagine these are the kind of dreams he has, but replace the participants with the aforementioned: http://www.youtube.com/watc...

My friend, Kojima and Nintendo are laughing at you. Kojima even hugely respects Naughty Dog and he's the one supposedly not receiving justice for his superiority. Get with reality.
#2.1.4 (Edited 554d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
LoveSpuds  +   556d ago
Are you really suggesting that Naughty Dog make poor games? REALLY?
MyFeetHurt  +   556d ago
naughty dogs games are pretty over rated. i bought a ps3 SPECIFICALLY because i heard so much awesome crap about uncharted 1-3.

meh.

ill put my exclusive a-list vs yours any day.

Half-Life 3 anyone?

OH I FORGOT THATS NEVER COMING OUT SCREW YOU VALVE SCREW YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Shnooze  +   556d ago
As it turns out, Valve filed the copyright for it and all, which may indeed hint to it seeing the light of day eventually.

So it's not "never coming out."
MyFeetHurt  +   554d ago
you must believe in the rapture too
JakemanPS31994  +   556d ago
we know you love to hate on Naughty dog! we get it already, move on! Also how are they "arrogant and disrespectful to other devs"???
Hazmat13  +   556d ago
PC people are annoying but that does not show off the entire fan base, i just started PC gaming are i met a few nice people who love PC and console gaming. as for J-Blaze thats falls in the ye old PS VS Xbox.
Majin-vegeta  +   556d ago
For some reason he has an agenda against ND but for the life of me i can't quite figure it out.Hmm ND must have kicked his puppy or something oh well.
darthv72  +   556d ago
Yeah its strange. they are a naughty dog....not a bad dog.
FantasticBoss  +   556d ago
But... Naughty Dog makes great games, and your quickness to jump onto the PS3 fan boy hate train and bash one of the PS3's most respected devs Mr. Blaze doesn't exactly make you look level headed and impartial.
#4 (Edited 556d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
MyFeetHurt  +   556d ago
like their only respected dev
TheSsus  +   556d ago
Sony Santa Monica say "Hi der".
MyFeetHurt  +   556d ago
whos that supposed to be.

santa monica? sounds gross.
king_george  +   554d ago
@MyFeetHurt

Dumbass -_-
#4.2.1 (Edited 554d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
StockpileTom  +   556d ago
I'm sorry but it is ridiculous that I can go through assassin's creed games just parry spamming (with a single button and no timing) hordes of foes and coming out victorious and undamaged. If there is no legit chance of failure then how is it a game? How is it fun?

I do love a good story but when the gameplay doesn't match up with the story well it ruins the immersion.
#5 (Edited 556d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
WarThunder  +   556d ago
I agree with 4.The “Metacritic is Gospel” Snobs and Gaming Snobs.
_QQ_  +   556d ago
Don't forget the buys COD every year, "Nintendo only has Mario",and "cinematic experience or GTFO" Snobs...

Oh yeah and the "Battle field is so much better than COD" Snobs
#7 (Edited 556d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
mandf  +   556d ago
i dislike the open world/sandbox snob. i love those games but to say linear games sucks is just stupid. people don't have to like linear games but give a little bit of respect to those that do.
MakiSaad2  +   556d ago
The Only PC gamers snobs that I really hate,Those who always comment on every console related article "PC Master Race" Aggrrrhh No one gives a flying F*** about it
Dead_Cell  +   556d ago
in ranking of my particular annoyance.

5) PS3 Exclusive Snobs
4) Xbox Live Snobs
3) Indie Hipster Snobs
4) PC Rig & Gaming Snobs
5) FF7 Snobs

I don't give a shit what FF7 fanboys say. Knock one out to Sephiroth all you like but he's still a hilariously crap bad guy and does not deserve automatic No.1 spot just because you weabo-ejaculated over him one time when you were around thirteen.

Awful villain. Awful fans.
TechMech2  +   556d ago
Playstation fanboys. They don't care about any feature until its in their system. Party chat? Don't need it. A good online service? Don't need it.
reko  +   555d ago
How do you know? troll.
TechMech2  +   555d ago
Keep thinking that fanboy
reko  +   555d ago
@tech

thats you fanboy.
clevernickname  +   556d ago
Missed one:

6. Kinect "specialists."

Whatever the hell that means.
MultiConsoleGamer  +   556d ago
I would never write an article that alienates a potential reader or fan but maybe that's just me.
J_Cob  +   556d ago
Writing any sort of article is bound to alienate somebody.
Thatlalala  +   555d ago
Can't fart nowadays without offending our alienating someone. Stop being so sensitive.
aLiEnViSiToR  +   556d ago
Cant ALL gamers just get along and stop this pointless and endless "war" >_> you know live and let live in this case play and let play :D

Games4Ever
mysteryraz11  +   556d ago
pc gamers are the worst, they are more interested in the hardware and settings then playing games, pc fanboys have sticks up there butts and think ppl care about there pcs
ziggurcat  +   556d ago
PC elitists are quite easily the worst people on the planet.
Convas  +   556d ago
I don't see PC guys going into Xbox One topics and mucking about for the sake of mucking about.

Guess who I do see though.

As a matter of fact, PC guys in general want VERY little to do with console folk for the fact that most tend to be highly uneducated about gaming on PC and make ridiculous blanket statements like "You need $2500-3000 for a good PC."

PC guys tend to in general own one or more consoles and see value in them because of exclusives.

Most fall into the Provoked PC guy camp, where you have console guys bigging up graphics or beating up on other console guy's about graphics, but who then want to whine when PC guys step in to remind everyone where true superiority lies.

PC men are a natural part of the evolutionary cycle. We're here to keep you console only folk from getting too big in your britches or spreading misinformation about PC gaming.
#16.1 (Edited 556d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
urwifeminder  +   555d ago
After moving to pc consoles will be 2nd choice for me xb1 and wii u will take a back seat but still get some love from me.
paul-p1988  +   555d ago
Just check any GTA5 article on N4G, the PC Gamer snobs are RAMPANT!!
Thatlalala  +   555d ago
PC gamer for ten plus years. Mainly because consoles didn't have Civ. Wow,LoL, other mmos and exclusives. (battlefields, witchers, etc....) But after this gen. My wallet, my back, neck and wrist thank the consoles this gen. PC games are great, but the comfort of sitting back with my feet up is unparalleled. Don't even get me started on modded servers, piracy, and blatant cheating because you know code, or the PC community, which honesty is embarrassing.

It’s Time to Stop Making So Many Series for Smartphones

31m ago - Chris Penwell from BagoGames writes: I get it. The install base is huge on smart phones. In fact,... | iPhone

Fails of the Weak - # 240

50m ago - Jack and Geoff gathered your votes and now bring you fails and glitches in GTA V, Halo MCC, Assas... | Culture

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3DS) Review

Now - Justin takes the latest 3DS remaster for a spin. | Promoted post

Put Your Headphones On & Listen To Aviary Attorney Soundtrack

1h ago - If you're a fan of the Ace Attorney series, and specifically love the soundtrack of it and how fu... | PC

Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One, PC) Game Review / Popzara

2h ago - The best gameplay in the series, with enough new content to go with the old; may not be a flawles... | PC

Nexus Mods Responds to Steam Charging for Mods

2h ago - Nexus Mods gives their answer on what they think about Steam charging for Mods and how they'll ha... | PC