Submitted by Lavalamp 541d ago | interview

Does Titanfall need single player? Respawn talks bots-only battles and winning over "casual players"

OXM UK: "Would Xbox One's flagship 2014 exclusive be better for the inclusion of a single player mode, as essential as it already seems? At a recent preview event, I had the opportunity to hassle community manager Abbie Heppe for some answers." (Abbie Heppe, PC, TitanFall, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

pedrof93  +   541d ago
This is a game to look forward :D
#1 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
FamilyGuy  +   541d ago
A single player mode that explains the story would be appreciated at $60 but if they've got enough maps, modes and those before match setup scenes that explain it I guess it could be worth it too.
It is really true about most people only playing the first stage or first few stages of a FPS then only playing it for the online. I know I've done it a bunch of times, I have way more fun playing online.

This could be changed if more games allowed the single player to have online co-op play through. I've played and finished story modes thanks to that on a few titles.
#1.1 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Feocart  +   540d ago
Many people have reason to look forward to this game, but it bothers me that the media is still getting something wrong. Titanfall isn't Xbox One's flagship 2014 exclusive because it's not an exclusive. Exclusive means only available on 1 platform, and it's on 3. Now I know why Microsoft has been pushing this as an exclusive because if you say it enough times, enough people will believe it.
Okay, I've calmed down. Interested to see a release date for this badboy; this is coming out in Spring 2014?
Captain Qwark 9  +   541d ago
as long as its a $40 mp only game, that is fine by me. if they charge 60 for it and have no sp, they better have double the usual 12 maps and 4 game modes most shooters seem to ship with these days
mhunterjr  +   541d ago
When you look at the statistics on how much time gamers spend on multiplayer vs single player, its surprising that so much development time typically goes into the single player.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that story, plot, and characters are important to most franchises, but if those things can be incorporated into the multiplayer game, wouldn't that be the better investment?

When I look at games like CoD and Battlefield, where the single player is clearly an afterthought, wouldn't it be better if the developers just focused on making the multiplayer better?
#3 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Ohlmay  +   541d ago
I don't mind, the MP looks incredible, I'm treating it as a Battlefield game where I only buy it for the MP, I have zero interest in the SP.
-Foxtrot  +   541d ago
If I'm paying full price for a game then I want a single player mode.

Sorry but even the multiplayer alone isn't enough to tempt me.

I hope this doesn't start a new trend with developers.
BabyTownFrolics  +   541d ago
I paid 60 for MAG and I got hundreds of hours worth of fun and that was MP only
-Foxtrot  +   541d ago
That had 256 players though and heavily invested in massive multiplayer game it was

Even then I still wouldn't of paid full price for it.
pyramidshead  +   541d ago
For what it is, titanfall could definitely benefit from having a single player offline mode. Especially if it's gonna be assumed to be priced at $60. Plus not everyone has multiplayer stable connections and would still like to buy and play the game.
#6 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
PhantomT1412  +   541d ago
I don't mind if it doesn't have singleplayer, as long as they put all the efforts that should have went into it into multiplayer. It's not like it's something that never happened before, you could say old Battlefield games were mp only games (sp was just mp with bots).
Ohlmay  +   541d ago
The main reason you would be purchasing Titanfall even if it had a Single Player would be for the Multiplayer anyway, I don't see the issue. How many of you are buying Battlefield 4 for the Single Player?
Edvin1984  +   541d ago
I am very much looking forward to this one, and it should provide a nice break for the Military type shooter we are all so used to.
Onehandband1t  +   541d ago
"Would Xbox One's flagship 2014 exclusive"? PC aswell :)
BabyTownFrolics  +   541d ago
It's a console exclusive. Both consoles have console exclusives, why is this still a point of contention this day and age?
#10.1 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Onehandband1t  +   541d ago
All I was saying is the way that it is worded makes it sound like it's Xbox One only. Fair enough PC is not a console but the word "exclusive" is a little misleading although I and many others are fully aware it is also coming to PC
christocolus  +   541d ago
they have won me over already.....
Saryk  +   541d ago
I like bots and single player game, I like multiplayer, but hate cheaters.
chrissx  +   541d ago
it needs a single-player campaign if it wants to be considered as an allround complete fps game,among the greats.
Volkama  +   541d ago
Quake 3 Arena (read with the announcer's voice).
Activemessiah  +   541d ago
Not everyone plays MP... and what makes you think the servers will be present in 10 years time? there is a reason why people still play NES games now imagine if they were MPs only... they'd be useless once everyone else has moved on but you still wanted to play it.. SP is essential in my book on all games for future playability.
thechosenone  +   540d ago
It's pretty shocking that Xb1 users are willing to pay $60 for just multiplayer.
Fireseed  +   540d ago
Since when? I haven't paid 60$ since i got my account. Look into any website and they're selling it for cheap. Then again why am I alerting someone who clearly have an Xbox nor ever will this? Oh well maybe you can find discounts on those sites for PS+ now that it's mandatory for multiplayer.
CEOSteveBallmer  +   540d ago
is this full $60 at retail?? if thats true then dayum. Multiplayer is good. but not worth 60 bucks
Butters360  +   540d ago
Most definitely they should have a single player campaign. When I first saw Titanfall I was stoked to have a spiritual successor to MechWarrior.
N4GJD  +   540d ago
They already won over the casuals with Modern Warfare 2 and releasing titanfall on Xbox One!
#18 (Edited 540d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Culture Of Hype And Delays

5m ago - From EGMR, "The current trend in the gaming industry is one defaced by the onset of delays in the... | Culture

The Present and Future of Remasters

5m ago - IGN - They're clearly here to stay. So what does that mean? | PS4

Find out when Uncharted 4 releases on PS4

Now - Start tracking Uncharted 4 at Releases.com to get important updates about this game release. | Promoted post

24 Images of Disgaea 5’s Metric A**ton of DLC Characters, Season Pass, PS Plus Exclusive Content

7m ago - Though others have had DLC in the past, Disgaea 5 is the first in Nippon Ichi’s long-running tact... | PS4

Toukiden Kiwami Review | Gamer's Palace

27m ago - Gamer's Palace: "After we had so many complaints about Bladestorm Nightmare last week, we can say... | PS4

If They Ever Made A Movie: Life Is Strange Dream Casting Wishlist

31m ago - Dontnod's storytelling game Life Is Strange is like watching My So Called Life filtered with a to... | PC