Try our new beta!Click here
Submitted by Lavalamp 856d ago | interview

Does Titanfall need single player? Respawn talks bots-only battles and winning over "casual players"

OXM UK: "Would Xbox One's flagship 2014 exclusive be better for the inclusion of a single player mode, as essential as it already seems? At a recent preview event, I had the opportunity to hassle community manager Abbie Heppe for some answers." (Abbie Heppe, PC, TitanFall, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

pedrof93  +   857d ago
This is a game to look forward :D
#1 (Edited 857d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
FamilyGuy  +   856d ago
A single player mode that explains the story would be appreciated at $60 but if they've got enough maps, modes and those before match setup scenes that explain it I guess it could be worth it too.
It is really true about most people only playing the first stage or first few stages of a FPS then only playing it for the online. I know I've done it a bunch of times, I have way more fun playing online.

This could be changed if more games allowed the single player to have online co-op play through. I've played and finished story modes thanks to that on a few titles.
#1.1 (Edited 856d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Feocart  +   856d ago
Many people have reason to look forward to this game, but it bothers me that the media is still getting something wrong. Titanfall isn't Xbox One's flagship 2014 exclusive because it's not an exclusive. Exclusive means only available on 1 platform, and it's on 3. Now I know why Microsoft has been pushing this as an exclusive because if you say it enough times, enough people will believe it.
Okay, I've calmed down. Interested to see a release date for this badboy; this is coming out in Spring 2014?
Captain Qwark 9  +   856d ago
as long as its a $40 mp only game, that is fine by me. if they charge 60 for it and have no sp, they better have double the usual 12 maps and 4 game modes most shooters seem to ship with these days
mhunterjr  +   856d ago
When you look at the statistics on how much time gamers spend on multiplayer vs single player, its surprising that so much development time typically goes into the single player.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that story, plot, and characters are important to most franchises, but if those things can be incorporated into the multiplayer game, wouldn't that be the better investment?

When I look at games like CoD and Battlefield, where the single player is clearly an afterthought, wouldn't it be better if the developers just focused on making the multiplayer better?
#3 (Edited 856d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Ohlmay  +   856d ago
I don't mind, the MP looks incredible, I'm treating it as a Battlefield game where I only buy it for the MP, I have zero interest in the SP.
-Foxtrot  +   856d ago
If I'm paying full price for a game then I want a single player mode.

Sorry but even the multiplayer alone isn't enough to tempt me.

I hope this doesn't start a new trend with developers.
BabyTownFrolics  +   856d ago
I paid 60 for MAG and I got hundreds of hours worth of fun and that was MP only
-Foxtrot  +   856d ago
That had 256 players though and heavily invested in massive multiplayer game it was

Even then I still wouldn't of paid full price for it.
pyramidshead  +   856d ago
For what it is, titanfall could definitely benefit from having a single player offline mode. Especially if it's gonna be assumed to be priced at $60. Plus not everyone has multiplayer stable connections and would still like to buy and play the game.
#6 (Edited 856d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
PhantomT1412  +   856d ago
I don't mind if it doesn't have singleplayer, as long as they put all the efforts that should have went into it into multiplayer. It's not like it's something that never happened before, you could say old Battlefield games were mp only games (sp was just mp with bots).
Ohlmay  +   856d ago
The main reason you would be purchasing Titanfall even if it had a Single Player would be for the Multiplayer anyway, I don't see the issue. How many of you are buying Battlefield 4 for the Single Player?
Edvin1984  +   856d ago
I am very much looking forward to this one, and it should provide a nice break for the Military type shooter we are all so used to.
Onehandband1t  +   856d ago
"Would Xbox One's flagship 2014 exclusive"? PC aswell :)
BabyTownFrolics  +   856d ago
It's a console exclusive. Both consoles have console exclusives, why is this still a point of contention this day and age?
#10.1 (Edited 856d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Onehandband1t  +   856d ago
All I was saying is the way that it is worded makes it sound like it's Xbox One only. Fair enough PC is not a console but the word "exclusive" is a little misleading although I and many others are fully aware it is also coming to PC
christocolus  +   856d ago
they have won me over already.....
Saryk  +   856d ago
I like bots and single player game, I like multiplayer, but hate cheaters.
chrissx  +   856d ago
it needs a single-player campaign if it wants to be considered as an allround complete fps game,among the greats.
Volkama  +   856d ago
Quake 3 Arena (read with the announcer's voice).
Activemessiah  +   856d ago
Not everyone plays MP... and what makes you think the servers will be present in 10 years time? there is a reason why people still play NES games now imagine if they were MPs only... they'd be useless once everyone else has moved on but you still wanted to play it.. SP is essential in my book on all games for future playability.
thechosenone  +   856d ago
It's pretty shocking that Xb1 users are willing to pay $60 for just multiplayer.
Fireseed  +   856d ago
Since when? I haven't paid 60$ since i got my account. Look into any website and they're selling it for cheap. Then again why am I alerting someone who clearly have an Xbox nor ever will this? Oh well maybe you can find discounts on those sites for PS+ now that it's mandatory for multiplayer.
CEOSteveBallmer  +   856d ago
is this full $60 at retail?? if thats true then dayum. Multiplayer is good. but not worth 60 bucks
Butters360  +   856d ago
Most definitely they should have a single player campaign. When I first saw Titanfall I was stoked to have a spiritual successor to MechWarrior.
N4GJD  +   856d ago
They already won over the casuals with Modern Warfare 2 and releasing titanfall on Xbox One!
#18 (Edited 856d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

New Fire Emblem Fates Trailer Showcases Downloadable Content

7m ago - New Fire Emblem Fates Trailer Showcases Downloadable Content | 3DS

The 2016 Player 2 Video Game Fantasy Draft – Round 2

9m ago - Round 2 of the Player2 fantasy draft with some strange choices coming into play. | PC

Check PS4 Release Dates for 2016 at Releases.com

Now - Check our release calendars to see what games are coming out this year. | Promoted post

Table Top Racing World Tour: exclusive PS4 preview gameplay

33m ago - VVV: "The hit mobile series Table Top Racing is making its console debut this year with the relea... | PS4

Sebastian Frank: The Vienna Prologue preview thoughts - TGG

41m ago - I (Robin Ek, The Gaming Ground) have been a fan of the adventure genre ever since I played Advent... | PC

Digital Crack Podcast Episode # 16

41m ago - Best Uncensored, Slap you in the face and show you the full monty Video game podcast on the plane... | PS4