Submitted by Lavalamp 604d ago | interview

Does Titanfall need single player? Respawn talks bots-only battles and winning over "casual players"

OXM UK: "Would Xbox One's flagship 2014 exclusive be better for the inclusion of a single player mode, as essential as it already seems? At a recent preview event, I had the opportunity to hassle community manager Abbie Heppe for some answers." (Abbie Heppe, PC, TitanFall, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

pedrof93  +   605d ago
This is a game to look forward :D
#1 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
FamilyGuy  +   605d ago
A single player mode that explains the story would be appreciated at $60 but if they've got enough maps, modes and those before match setup scenes that explain it I guess it could be worth it too.
It is really true about most people only playing the first stage or first few stages of a FPS then only playing it for the online. I know I've done it a bunch of times, I have way more fun playing online.

This could be changed if more games allowed the single player to have online co-op play through. I've played and finished story modes thanks to that on a few titles.
#1.1 (Edited 605d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Feocart  +   604d ago
Many people have reason to look forward to this game, but it bothers me that the media is still getting something wrong. Titanfall isn't Xbox One's flagship 2014 exclusive because it's not an exclusive. Exclusive means only available on 1 platform, and it's on 3. Now I know why Microsoft has been pushing this as an exclusive because if you say it enough times, enough people will believe it.
Okay, I've calmed down. Interested to see a release date for this badboy; this is coming out in Spring 2014?
Captain Qwark 9  +   604d ago
as long as its a $40 mp only game, that is fine by me. if they charge 60 for it and have no sp, they better have double the usual 12 maps and 4 game modes most shooters seem to ship with these days
mhunterjr  +   604d ago
When you look at the statistics on how much time gamers spend on multiplayer vs single player, its surprising that so much development time typically goes into the single player.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that story, plot, and characters are important to most franchises, but if those things can be incorporated into the multiplayer game, wouldn't that be the better investment?

When I look at games like CoD and Battlefield, where the single player is clearly an afterthought, wouldn't it be better if the developers just focused on making the multiplayer better?
#3 (Edited 604d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Ohlmay  +   604d ago
I don't mind, the MP looks incredible, I'm treating it as a Battlefield game where I only buy it for the MP, I have zero interest in the SP.
-Foxtrot  +   604d ago
If I'm paying full price for a game then I want a single player mode.

Sorry but even the multiplayer alone isn't enough to tempt me.

I hope this doesn't start a new trend with developers.
BabyTownFrolics  +   604d ago
I paid 60 for MAG and I got hundreds of hours worth of fun and that was MP only
-Foxtrot  +   604d ago
That had 256 players though and heavily invested in massive multiplayer game it was

Even then I still wouldn't of paid full price for it.
pyramidshead  +   604d ago
For what it is, titanfall could definitely benefit from having a single player offline mode. Especially if it's gonna be assumed to be priced at $60. Plus not everyone has multiplayer stable connections and would still like to buy and play the game.
#6 (Edited 604d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
PhantomT1412  +   604d ago
I don't mind if it doesn't have singleplayer, as long as they put all the efforts that should have went into it into multiplayer. It's not like it's something that never happened before, you could say old Battlefield games were mp only games (sp was just mp with bots).
Ohlmay  +   604d ago
The main reason you would be purchasing Titanfall even if it had a Single Player would be for the Multiplayer anyway, I don't see the issue. How many of you are buying Battlefield 4 for the Single Player?
Edvin1984  +   604d ago
I am very much looking forward to this one, and it should provide a nice break for the Military type shooter we are all so used to.
Onehandband1t  +   604d ago
"Would Xbox One's flagship 2014 exclusive"? PC aswell :)
BabyTownFrolics  +   604d ago
It's a console exclusive. Both consoles have console exclusives, why is this still a point of contention this day and age?
#10.1 (Edited 604d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Onehandband1t  +   604d ago
All I was saying is the way that it is worded makes it sound like it's Xbox One only. Fair enough PC is not a console but the word "exclusive" is a little misleading although I and many others are fully aware it is also coming to PC
christocolus  +   604d ago
they have won me over already.....
Saryk  +   604d ago
I like bots and single player game, I like multiplayer, but hate cheaters.
chrissx  +   604d ago
it needs a single-player campaign if it wants to be considered as an allround complete fps game,among the greats.
Volkama  +   604d ago
Quake 3 Arena (read with the announcer's voice).
Activemessiah  +   604d ago
Not everyone plays MP... and what makes you think the servers will be present in 10 years time? there is a reason why people still play NES games now imagine if they were MPs only... they'd be useless once everyone else has moved on but you still wanted to play it.. SP is essential in my book on all games for future playability.
thechosenone  +   604d ago
It's pretty shocking that Xb1 users are willing to pay $60 for just multiplayer.
Fireseed  +   604d ago
Since when? I haven't paid 60$ since i got my account. Look into any website and they're selling it for cheap. Then again why am I alerting someone who clearly have an Xbox nor ever will this? Oh well maybe you can find discounts on those sites for PS+ now that it's mandatory for multiplayer.
CEOSteveBallmer  +   604d ago
is this full $60 at retail?? if thats true then dayum. Multiplayer is good. but not worth 60 bucks
Butters360  +   604d ago
Most definitely they should have a single player campaign. When I first saw Titanfall I was stoked to have a spiritual successor to MechWarrior.
N4GJD  +   604d ago
They already won over the casuals with Modern Warfare 2 and releasing titanfall on Xbox One!
#18 (Edited 604d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Top 5 Controversies that Rocked the Gaming Industry

1h ago - GameSkinny member Mark_TGG takes a look at 5 controversies that changed gaming. | PC

Hoplite Cheats & Strategy Guide: 4 Awesome Tips You Need to Know

1h ago - Hoplite is a turn-based strategy game developed by Magma Fortress, which aims to make you think b... | iPhone

See what games are coming out in 2015

Now - Visit our release calendar to see what games are coming out in 2015. | Promoted post

Rumour: Steam Summer Sale 2015 starting June 11?

1h ago - The Steam Summer Sale has become a part of every PC gamers summer for the past several years , bu... | PSP

About 10 million Germans Play on the Tablet

1h ago - Four out of ten people in this country have a Tablet PC. 61 percent, so the vast majority of them... | Mobile

Splatoon promotion splats UK skatepark

1h ago - To promote the release of the Splatoon, Nintendo has taken over the Adrenaline Alley skatepark in... | Wii U