Submitted by s8anicslayer 306d ago | opinion piece

Grand Theft Auto V vs. Saints Row IV: which is better?

OXM - "With Saints Row 4, the series that began as a shameless GTA knockoff set out in a new direction, but it's still impossible to overlook the obvious, lingering similarities between it & Grand Theft Auto 5. Ultimately, one is going to do it better than the other, but which? Now that we've invested serious time in both, let's take an objective look at their strengths and weaknesses and declare a victor." (Grand Theft Auto V, PC, PS3, Saints Row 4, Xbox 360)

Snookies12  +   306d ago
GTA when it comes to quality. Though that's not to say SR isn't fun. They're both great games, and fans of open world games should definitely look into at least trying both of them out.
#1 (Edited 306d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Crazay  +   306d ago
They're really not comparing Apples to apples. GTA is rooted in a slightly more realistic world with a more realistic crime caper story. SR is the comedic tongue in cheek cousin.

Kinda like Scary movie to Scream.

If comparing anything I would say compare GTA to Sleeping Dogs.
#1.1 (Edited 306d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
RXL  +   306d ago
Your Scary Movie/Scream Simile was on point lol

best way iv seen it compared/explained
cleft5  +   306d ago
I own both and enjoy both equally. GTA5 does a lot of amazing stuff and so does SR4. GTA5 is impressive as all, the quality of the game definitely shows after the long years of development. Meanwhile, SR4 is just pure fun and great comedy/parody of other games, movies, and pop culture in general. It is really impressive what Volition did with only a year and THQ going down around them.

I am glad I brought SR4 and GTA5.
#1.2 (Edited 306d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
KiLLeRCLaM  +   306d ago
Every game or series like BF, COD, EA Sports games etc should be worked on and released every two years instead of every year.
BuLLDoG909  +   306d ago
One is genre defining, the other a yearly installment of ideas cherry picked from other games.

Saint row has created nothing new in the city sanbox space. Instead it looks at the best aspects of other games in the same genre, and takes there ideas, while never adding anything substantially original themselfs.
Murad  +   306d ago
You know what? I like the fact that you're such an open gamer like myself, so plus bubble to you my good gaming sir. Personally I haven't played either one yet due to school and due to the addiction of good games, but I'm definitely going to hit them both up in the future.
christheredhead  +   306d ago
Neither is better than the other. I like both games for completely different reasons. I see this debate a lot, but I don't see why one has to be considered better.
LOGICWINS  +   306d ago
Because thats the Internet. A never ending pissing contest where one opinion must prevail among others and gray areas don't exist.
ape007  +   306d ago
yes there are gray areas but this is a no brainer, gta is definitely the better
#2.1.1 (Edited 306d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report
wishingW3L  +   306d ago
The 200 million dollars game with monstrous production values and diversity wins by default. There is no competition.
ape007  +   306d ago
SR is good but GTA V is obviously better

i wish in nextgen volition goes back to SR 1 and SR 2 style
#4 (Edited 306d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
TesMgsFan  +   306d ago
True story bro.
KonsoruMasuta  +   306d ago
I wish they would do that. The SR games actually were good at one point.
Abdou023  +   306d ago
I know a lot of people will hate me for this but SR3-4 were made with drunk idiots in mind. If the game started taking itself seriously and actually start to create new elements of gameplay maybe they will reach broader audience and the comparison would be legit.
Etseix  +   306d ago
yeah but if they started taking the game *serious*
that would mean they'll go GTA style, and im sure quality wise GTA would totally destroy it.

3-4 are pure fun, all the jokes, comedy, etc. You dont see that level of humor on GTA, thats why i have more fun with SR, im not bashing GTA, its a great game, but i would care less about GTA stories, meanwhile on the other hand, if you try to take SR seriously- you will be dissapointed. :)
Pintheshadows  +   306d ago
I enjoyed SR4 alot more than I expected, but these days, the two series are nothing alike beyond being open world, and if you want to compare them on that front, well, there is only one winner.
SIRHC13  +   306d ago
Saints Row's environments have nothing on GTA's, imo. And for me, that's a HUGE factor in a quality open world title. I love the detail and personality of open world environments, but SR just doesn't cut it for me.
joint8877  +   306d ago
Isnt it obvious?
stage88  +   306d ago
GTA.

Why do we even need an article about this?
SlapHappyJesus  +   306d ago
Still don't know why they are comparing the two.
Two very different tones. Two very different games.

I had a blast with Saints Row. I am sure I'll have a blast with GTA. Outside of them both being incredibly entertaining experiences, they simply do things far too differently.
#9 (Edited 306d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
MadMax  +   306d ago
Different tones yes, very different games no. Saints Row always seemed like a cheaper knock off version. Still enjoyed it though. GTA is just the grand daddy of them all.
#9.1 (Edited 306d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Grave  +   306d ago
Whichever one you have more fun with personally.
BLAKHOODe  +   306d ago
GTA, easily.

But we're talking 2 completely different games here.
KonsoruMasuta  +   306d ago
GTA V is leagues above saints Row IV. It would have been a different story if SR was actually fun like it used to be. SR2 was the best one. Still play it.
InTheLab  +   306d ago
SR is a reskin with super powers. As fun as it is, gta is in another league.
ElementX  +   306d ago
I really don't like Franklin or all that hip hop on the radio dropping the f bomb every other line. I think the whole thug culture is a disgrace and it's a turn off. Otherwise I think GTA is a pretty cool game.

*EDIT* It's not as though all black people are thugs, they always seem to be portrayed that way in games though.
#14 (Edited 306d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
clarkdef  +   306d ago
I prefer GTA, the effort gone into this game is outta this world, it deserves those 10's just for the effort. But I like SanAndreas better :p
WeAreLegion  +   306d ago
Saints Row IV is insanely fun and makes me laugh, constantly. That's what it's there to do.

Grand Theft Auto V is cool. It's a fun game, but I love getting into the stories and culture of Los Santos. Exploring the map is wonderful. It's a living, breathing world.

They may be open world games, but they couldn't be farther apart. I love them both.
TuxedoMoon  +   306d ago
GTA5 and SR4 are 2 completely different games. SR4 was good, but it didn't feel like an SR game, but more like a comedic Infamous or Prototype. SR4 wasn't a GTA parody anymore, but a super hero game parody.
ShaunCameron  +   306d ago
Grand Theft Auto V. San Andreas in HD for the win!
Saryk  +   306d ago
When both are done making DLC and the whole package is up for sale. I’ll give me 2 pence!
Discod99  +   306d ago
Prime rib or dog shit. Which one is better?
Godlovesgamers  +   305d ago
"Grand Theft Auto V vs. Saints Row IV: which is better?"

It's better when you write an article that is thought provoking and actually has some value to it, instead of this "which game is better" drivel.

The Sims 4: Making your sims "3D on the inside"

4m ago - GRTV caught up with associate producer Azure Bowie-Hankins to learn more about the work that goes... | PC

Early Access is No Different Than Games Released on Time

42m ago - As we waltz into 2015, it seems that 2014 is shaping up to be known as the year of Early Access w... | Industry

Sharknado: The Video Game Review | GIZORAMA

43m ago - Daniel Kurland, GIZORAMA - "It’s a feeling unlike anything else. Those moments where you play a p... | iPhone

Japanese Singer GACKT Gets His Ass Kicked By Xevious...Again

47m ago - Japanese rock star GACKT and Nestlé have released another "Game Center" video, where GACKT must p... | Wii

The Walking Dead: Season Two Episode 4 – Amid the Ruins (PC) Review

Now - Drew delves into the penultimate episode of Walking Dead Season Two. | Promoted post

EA Access subscription service on Xbox One points towards the future

56m ago - Dealspwn: "An exciting initiative, then, but one with plenty of questions still to be answered. H... | Xbox One