Submitted by s8anicslayer 302d ago | opinion piece

Grand Theft Auto V vs. Saints Row IV: which is better?

OXM - "With Saints Row 4, the series that began as a shameless GTA knockoff set out in a new direction, but it's still impossible to overlook the obvious, lingering similarities between it & Grand Theft Auto 5. Ultimately, one is going to do it better than the other, but which? Now that we've invested serious time in both, let's take an objective look at their strengths and weaknesses and declare a victor." (Grand Theft Auto V, PC, PS3, Saints Row 4, Xbox 360)

Snookies12  +   303d ago
GTA when it comes to quality. Though that's not to say SR isn't fun. They're both great games, and fans of open world games should definitely look into at least trying both of them out.
#1 (Edited 303d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Crazay  +   302d ago
They're really not comparing Apples to apples. GTA is rooted in a slightly more realistic world with a more realistic crime caper story. SR is the comedic tongue in cheek cousin.

Kinda like Scary movie to Scream.

If comparing anything I would say compare GTA to Sleeping Dogs.
#1.1 (Edited 302d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
RXL  +   302d ago
Your Scary Movie/Scream Simile was on point lol

best way iv seen it compared/explained
cleft5  +   302d ago
I own both and enjoy both equally. GTA5 does a lot of amazing stuff and so does SR4. GTA5 is impressive as all, the quality of the game definitely shows after the long years of development. Meanwhile, SR4 is just pure fun and great comedy/parody of other games, movies, and pop culture in general. It is really impressive what Volition did with only a year and THQ going down around them.

I am glad I brought SR4 and GTA5.
#1.2 (Edited 302d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
KiLLeRCLaM  +   302d ago
Every game or series like BF, COD, EA Sports games etc should be worked on and released every two years instead of every year.
BuLLDoG909  +   302d ago
One is genre defining, the other a yearly installment of ideas cherry picked from other games.

Saint row has created nothing new in the city sanbox space. Instead it looks at the best aspects of other games in the same genre, and takes there ideas, while never adding anything substantially original themselfs.
Murad  +   302d ago
You know what? I like the fact that you're such an open gamer like myself, so plus bubble to you my good gaming sir. Personally I haven't played either one yet due to school and due to the addiction of good games, but I'm definitely going to hit them both up in the future.
christheredhead  +   303d ago
Neither is better than the other. I like both games for completely different reasons. I see this debate a lot, but I don't see why one has to be considered better.
LOGICWINS  +   302d ago
Because thats the Internet. A never ending pissing contest where one opinion must prevail among others and gray areas don't exist.
ape007  +   302d ago
yes there are gray areas but this is a no brainer, gta is definitely the better
#2.1.1 (Edited 302d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report
wishingW3L  +   303d ago
The 200 million dollars game with monstrous production values and diversity wins by default. There is no competition.
ape007  +   302d ago
SR is good but GTA V is obviously better

i wish in nextgen volition goes back to SR 1 and SR 2 style
#4 (Edited 302d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
TesMgsFan  +   302d ago
True story bro.
KonsoruMasuta  +   302d ago
I wish they would do that. The SR games actually were good at one point.
Abdou023  +   302d ago
I know a lot of people will hate me for this but SR3-4 were made with drunk idiots in mind. If the game started taking itself seriously and actually start to create new elements of gameplay maybe they will reach broader audience and the comparison would be legit.
Etseix  +   302d ago
yeah but if they started taking the game *serious*
that would mean they'll go GTA style, and im sure quality wise GTA would totally destroy it.

3-4 are pure fun, all the jokes, comedy, etc. You dont see that level of humor on GTA, thats why i have more fun with SR, im not bashing GTA, its a great game, but i would care less about GTA stories, meanwhile on the other hand, if you try to take SR seriously- you will be dissapointed. :)
Pintheshadows  +   302d ago
I enjoyed SR4 alot more than I expected, but these days, the two series are nothing alike beyond being open world, and if you want to compare them on that front, well, there is only one winner.
SIRHC13  +   302d ago
Saints Row's environments have nothing on GTA's, imo. And for me, that's a HUGE factor in a quality open world title. I love the detail and personality of open world environments, but SR just doesn't cut it for me.
joint8877  +   302d ago
Isnt it obvious?
stage88  +   302d ago
GTA.

Why do we even need an article about this?
SlapHappyJesus  +   302d ago
Still don't know why they are comparing the two.
Two very different tones. Two very different games.

I had a blast with Saints Row. I am sure I'll have a blast with GTA. Outside of them both being incredibly entertaining experiences, they simply do things far too differently.
#9 (Edited 302d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
MadMax  +   302d ago
Different tones yes, very different games no. Saints Row always seemed like a cheaper knock off version. Still enjoyed it though. GTA is just the grand daddy of them all.
#9.1 (Edited 302d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Grave  +   302d ago
Whichever one you have more fun with personally.
BLAKHOODe  +   302d ago
GTA, easily.

But we're talking 2 completely different games here.
KonsoruMasuta  +   302d ago
GTA V is leagues above saints Row IV. It would have been a different story if SR was actually fun like it used to be. SR2 was the best one. Still play it.
InTheLab  +   302d ago
SR is a reskin with super powers. As fun as it is, gta is in another league.
ElementX  +   302d ago
I really don't like Franklin or all that hip hop on the radio dropping the f bomb every other line. I think the whole thug culture is a disgrace and it's a turn off. Otherwise I think GTA is a pretty cool game.

*EDIT* It's not as though all black people are thugs, they always seem to be portrayed that way in games though.
#14 (Edited 302d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
clarkdef  +   302d ago
I prefer GTA, the effort gone into this game is outta this world, it deserves those 10's just for the effort. But I like SanAndreas better :p
WeAreLegion  +   302d ago
Saints Row IV is insanely fun and makes me laugh, constantly. That's what it's there to do.

Grand Theft Auto V is cool. It's a fun game, but I love getting into the stories and culture of Los Santos. Exploring the map is wonderful. It's a living, breathing world.

They may be open world games, but they couldn't be farther apart. I love them both.
TuxedoMoon  +   302d ago
GTA5 and SR4 are 2 completely different games. SR4 was good, but it didn't feel like an SR game, but more like a comedic Infamous or Prototype. SR4 wasn't a GTA parody anymore, but a super hero game parody.
ShaunCameron  +   302d ago
Grand Theft Auto V. San Andreas in HD for the win!
Saryk  +   302d ago
When both are done making DLC and the whole package is up for sale. I’ll give me 2 pence!
Discod99  +   302d ago
Prime rib or dog shit. Which one is better?
Godlovesgamers  +   301d ago
"Grand Theft Auto V vs. Saints Row IV: which is better?"

It's better when you write an article that is thought provoking and actually has some value to it, instead of this "which game is better" drivel.

Bad News for Nintendo

6m ago - Can Nintendo live on in the video game hardware and software business? | Wii U

NES Remix Pack announced for North America

7m ago - Nintendo just announced the "NES Remix Pack" for North America during a San Diego Comic-Con live-... | Wii U

The Remarkable Thing About The Destiny Beta

11m ago - Although the Destiny beta story is lackluster so far, one gamer (who usually cares much about sto... | Xbox 360

Meet ‘The American’ in This New Video For The Evil Within

31m ago - Bethesda has released a new video from their ‘Underground’ series for their upcoming horror title... | PC

Xbox One Game Release Dates

Now - For the most up-to-date release date info for Xbox One games check VGReleases.com | Promoted post

Version Control: Virtua Fighter 2

57m ago - Hardcore Gamer: When games jump from platform to platform, changes are inevitable. Be they small... | Xbox 360