Submitted by knifefight 370d ago | news

3DS Has Overtaken Wii In Lifetime Sales (Japan)

"Powered in part by the recent release of Monster Hunter 4, the 3DS sold nearly 160,000 units in Japan this past week, pushing it to about 12,753,000 in total. The Wii has sold about 12,699,000 units to date, including 965 this past week." -GR (3DS, Nintendo DS, PS Vita, PS3, PSP, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360)

Alternative Sources
I winder what wiiU sales are..
#1 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(28) | Report | Reply
truechainz  +   370d ago
Sad that you feel the need to immediately try to divert attention away from good news. Says a lot about you. That and the fact that you edited your comment and still misspelled wonder.
Brazz  +   370d ago
He's just saying a fact, lol! WiiU sales are weak, like PS Vita sales.
I dare say that at this point Nintendo is almost giving up from WiiU, you know why? because they have a beeter optioncalled 3DS!
put all possible "fanboy spirit" aside, and focus your mind in possibility of profit...
that is the question:
If you are Nintendo, that is very strong in the first party development, and, as every company has a limit of investment projects (games), you would create games in HD, with a high amount of spending, for a console that sells 20k-30k per week and has no support from others, or would invest in your product which is able to outsell all other consoles in the market "TOGETHER"!? (not to mention the low cost of producing games that do not require features such as HD)
Put the spirit of fanboy aside, and think:
The nintendo will invest heavily in the golden boy who has even the possibility of surpass Playstation 2 and the original DS or the "underdog" whit poor sales, and which is criticized by many consumers and industry members, plus almost no third-party support.
face facts, the 3DS is so fantastic, and so good, that nintendo did not have to "risk" in the WiiU. Of course Nintendo wants a successful Wii U, repeat the generation Wii / DS which undoubtedly became the most successful in the history of nintendo, but the situation is very different now, and nothing indicates that the WiiU will have the strength to dominate the competition.
sorry for my english, i'm not american, nor from england, and sorry if I offended anyone, i just said what I see on the picture presented. A console so strong and profitable that is killing his "younger brother".
Misaka_x_Touma  +   370d ago
you're off topic
Chrischi1988  +   370d ago
Sorry, but you are off topic, its news about a mobile handheld. What does the truth you are talking about matter, if you are in a completely wrong area to discuss that? Are we talking about how Sony finally managed to make profit after over 5 years of the console being released? No, because this is a 3DS topic. Go troll somewhere else or study so you can finally manage to get past 8th grade.

A handheld and a console aim for different people with different needs. But I guess you never thought about, that nintendo might want to increase its install base on Wii U. How were 3DS sales before they released their first party games? How many first party games are there for Wii U? How can someone even try to know what will happen with the console, if it doesnt even have the main selling point released?

Man you made me angry right now, always this BS. Oh nintedo made something good, I have to be a total a** and have to point out where nintendo is bad right now, even if it is way off topic. Good job.
#1.2.2 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report
n4f  +   369d ago
you failed at trolling.
AceBlazer13  +   370d ago
geez how many ppl are there to buy a 3ds again?
#2 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
KonsoruMasuta  +   370d ago
Can you blame them? Especially with monster Hunter 4 out.

The 3DS is a must have.
AceBlazer13  +   370d ago
yh but you would think everyone who wanted a 3ds would have one by now. and it's not like the sales are just coming bit by bit, they're coming in full force.
_QQ_  +   370d ago
Imagine what happens October12th
lilbroRx  +   370d ago
Why would you think that everyone who wanted a 3DS would have one by now? Its not the Vita. The 3DS is actually fun and has something unique to offer. On top of that it has loads of good games on it and coming out for it.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 is awesome. The 3D just makes it even more delicious.
sincitysir1  +   370d ago
U just can't be happy for the 3ds huh? Childish. And just to be sure I understand, what's so unique about it? U mean the 2 screens that has been around for like 8 years now? Or the 3d that they're getting rid of? Please enlighten me. It's a great device but don't exaggerate.
#2.2.1 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(11) | Report
Chrischi1988  +   370d ago
Why are you so angry about his comment? Did he say something bad about it?
TongkatAli  +   369d ago
Playing games on my Vita are very fun : / Playing Final Fantasy IX, old game, but I see no 3DS rpg that tops that one.

Congrats to the 3DS!
CrimsonStar  +   369d ago
just wait till Pokémon comes out .
Murad  +   368d ago
Dude don't insult the 3DS, that thing is badass. It has Fire Emblem, it has Monster Hunter and so on and so forth. EVEN SHIN MEGAMI TITLES. Go troll somewhere else.
mcstorm  +   370d ago
Wow and it has yet to have a pokemon game. I think they will go crazy once Pokémon x and y are out and I am one of the fans who cant wait to get the game. Great console Nintendo and glad its selling well after a slow start. Lest hope you can turn the WiiU around as well as it is anther under rated console.
Beetey  +   370d ago
Exactly. It's crazy to think that we are talking about how great the system is selling when its first Pokemon game is still a few weeks out. IMO the 3DS's has the greatest lineup of games ever.

Seriously. Ever.
mcstorm  +   370d ago
I agree. I remember when Sony showed off the PSV and I was blown away by the games for it and at that point the lineup of games on the 3DS was poor but how that has changes. I have felt Sony have neglected the PSV and Nintendo have given everything to the 3DS and im loving the device and cant wait for Pokémon. I do hope Nintendo give the WiiU the same love but looking at the next lineup of games they are now starting too. We even have super smash bros to look forward to next year too.
nosferatuzodd  +   370d ago
wow 3ds is a monster i have a psp vita but you of to give respect to the mighty 3ds
N4GDgAPc  +   370d ago
I have no clue at all on what the sentence says^^
Blastoise  +   370d ago
Wow, 3DS is a monster. I have a Playstation Vita, but you have to give respect to the mighty 3DS

Or something like that..
KonsoruMasuta  +   370d ago
It says "Wow!! The 3DS is a monster!! I own the competition's handheld, but I have to give respect to the spectacular, wonderful, super-duper, divine, wise and all knowing 3DS. "
#4.1.2 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(6) | Report
N4GDgAPc  +   370d ago
Better^^
Belking  +   370d ago
This is what you call success.
lilbroRx  +   370d ago
And yet there are still people who attack the 3DS like its a flop while praising vita. Its makes no sense.
sincitysir1  +   370d ago
Same thing ur doing now isn't it? To a lesser degree albeit still the same
lilbroRx  +   370d ago
No, its not the same. The Vita has been largely unsuccessful. Just stating that fact isn't attacking it.

There is nothing ridiculous about that. The 3DS on the other had has been the lead selling piece of gaming hardware for over a year, and yet I still see articles talking about how Nintendo needs to improve this and that with the 3DS, and how Nintendo is going to die.
ThePsychoGamer  +   369d ago
So saying the Vita isn't doing well is just stating a fact, but by your comment history, anyone who says the same thing about the Wii U are just bashing Nintendo?

I think you just won the award for biggest hypocrite on this site.
lilbroRx  +   369d ago
By my comment history? You didn't get that from mine.
Misaka_x_Touma  +   370d ago
your comment goes both positive and negative.

Just by reading it.
Neonridr  +   370d ago
Amazing since the Wii launched in December of 2006 (in Japan), and the 3DS launched in February of 2011. It did in 2.5 years what the Wii did in almost 7.

Ridiculous numbers, and with Pokemon around the corner I can only imagine how many more units this thing is going to move.
#6 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
erikthegman  +   370d ago
imagine Nintendo had a PlayStation plus like subscription. I can't afford many games so plus is a heaven send but imagine getting older 3ds titles and wii u titles monthly for a yearly fee?
mshope10  +   370d ago
Hey someone call pacther or whatever his name is cause he said 3ds and all deditcated handhelds are dead. Lets see how he spins this.
TekoIie  +   370d ago
Pachter got a prediction unbelievably wrong...again... And the industry still takes him seriously. I really want to know how :/
#8.1 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Garrison  +   370d ago
Wow the 3ds is kicking serious mobile booty. I currently have a vita and I love it and now that those new shinny pokemon 3ds xls are coming out I'm thinking of getting one too.

I played Zelda on the 3ds some time ago and fell in love with it, great system. Hopefully the vita also picks up some of the sales it deserves as well, these systems are too awesome and should be out there to fulfill their intended duties even if the "annalists" think otherwise.
swice  +   370d ago
Wow. Glad I have one
GeneralRaam93   370d ago | Spam
a_adji  +   370d ago
Nintendo are like so over. They are poooo, they are like going down man. The vita is so kicking it's ass and we would rather suck of sony any day. Nintendont. blah blah blah cried the so called bloggers and industry experts. Well, what do they have to say now?

Maybe they will pick on the 2DS...It's so dumb, it's ugly, it makes no sense *days later they play and their tune changes. They act like they knew it was great.

Sad times
AfterThought  +   370d ago
Where do you guys come up with this information? I have never heard anyone say the Vita is kicking ass, especially not from journalist.

If anything everyone said both the 3DS and PS Vita would never sell at all but that seems to be wrong in both instances. The Vita isn't selling nearly as well but it isn't dead nor is the 3DS like so many claimed both would be.

The Vita got the worst of it, everyone said that it would be dead by now. IGN constantly trashed it, now look at them.

God you die hard fans are all the same, just as stupid as the last one. Reminds me of Soccer fans in Europe with their firms, literally killing people over soccer games.
#12.1 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Chrischi1988  +   370d ago
Nicd that you pull whole europe into this. I dont know where you are from, but I assume from USA. If that is so, how about the 4 sports you are all killing for? American Football, Baseball, Basketball and Nascar. Good that you do not have any prejudices, not!
Beetey  +   370d ago
Umm what? Is this a troll attempt?
Misaka_x_Touma  +   370d ago
woooo hoooooo
wat the heck did you just say??
#12.3 (Edited 370d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Godlovesgamers  +   370d ago
"3DS Has Overtaken Wii In Lifetime Sales (Japan)"

Well, until they release the Wii Micro...
MegaLagann  +   369d ago
And keep in mind this is WITHOUT Pokemon. Reading this makes me want to go to IGN's "Why the 3DS is doomed" article from 2011 and laugh.
lifeordeath617  +   368d ago
gotta love the 3DS

The Photography of Forza Horizon 2

0m ago - FanBolt writes: "One of the features I always love in the Forza series is the ability to just sto... | Xbox 360

I adore half of Skyrim’s civil war quest line

11m ago - From the article, "For those of you who’ve never played Skyrim, or who haven’t done the Civil War... | PC

Dance Central Spotlight Review {Critically Sane}

14m ago - Critically Sane: "Dance Central is the game Kinect owners came to love on the Xbox 360 and Dance... | Xbox One

Update 9.3 Released for World of Tanks

16m ago - Wargaming, the developer of several highly successful online action MMOs, recently released World... | PC

iCreditCardNow.com

Now - Quickly locate just the right card for you. | Promoted post

Assassin’s Creed Identity Now Available in Australia and New Zealand

17m ago - Hardcore Gamer: It seems as though gamer’s in Australia and New Zealand have become lab mice for... | iPhone