Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by vascoos01 2782d ago | news

Judge Drops Hot Coffee Lawsuit Against Take-Two

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A judge has dismissed several claims accusing Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (Nasdaq:TTWO) of misleading shareholders about an installment of its popular "Grant Theft Auto" video game that contained hidden sex scenes and caused a consumer uproar.

While the plaintiffs will be allowed to replead their case by submitting an amended suit, the ruling by U.S. District Judge Shirley Wohl Kram in Manhattan found that the current claims did not adequately show that the company intended to deceive investors about the hidden content in its "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" game.

Take-Two is currently trying to fend off a $2 billion hostile buyout bid by rival Electronic Arts Inc (Nasdaq: ERTS).

Take-Two, which has new management after a shareholder coup, has been shaken by accounting scandals related to its stock option awards practices and controversy over its games. It is holding its annual meeting on Thursday.

The securities fraud suit, brought in 2006, accused Take-Two of misrepresenting its compliance with the rules of the video game industry's rating board when submitting the "San Andreas" title for review, as well as issuing false statements about its option awards practices.

Last year, former Take-Two Chief Executive Ryan Brant pleaded guilty to criminal charges over backdating options. Other top executives also pleaded guilty.

In a written ruling on Wednesday, Judge Kram said the investors' backdating case could move forward, but she said that in one instance the plaintiffs did not adequately show a link between the fall in the company's stock price and the alleged misrepresentations by Take-Two. The rejection of the alleged link could ultimately limit the plaintiffs' damage claims.

"We are pleased with the judge's ruling, which dismissed without prejudice the plaintiff's claims regarding Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and narrowed the scope of the options backdating case," Take-Two said. "We continue to believe that the remaining claims are without merit and we will continue to defend against them."

A lawyer for the plaintiffs did not return a phone call requesting comment.

Take-Two announced in November that it had reached a preliminary settlement in a separate consumer lawsuit brought over the hidden content in the "San Andreas" game.

(Reporting by Martha Graybow; editing by John Wallace) (Industry)

Credit url:
Tempist  +   2781d ago
Finally... we can put this BS behind us for good!

Add comment

You need to be registered to add comments. Register here or login
New stories

Elite Shows What Could Have Been on the Sega Genesis, Unreleased Classic

30m ago - Carl Williams writes, "Elite is one of those computer games that there are probably people still... | Retro

Lost Echo Review | Hardcore Droid

33m ago - The term ‘immersive’ is thrown around a lot when it comes to mobile games, but few games can keep... | iPhone

US Movie Releases to Look Out For in November

Now - Remember, remember, the films of November! It’s the time of year when the nights draw in, the year winds down and studios line up their most presti... | Promoted post

Désiré - Prologue: Walkthrough Guide

5h ago - Appunwrapper writes: "This is a complete step-by-step walkthrough for the iOS and Android point-a... | iPhone

Blaze Proves the Commodore Amiga Was Capable of Sonic the Hedgehog

5h ago - Carl Williams writes, "While Sega never supported the Commodore Amiga with any games, they did la... | Retro

Westwood Studios to Receive Industry Icon Award at The Game Awards 2015

5h ago - Host Geoff Keighley just announced that the defunct Westwood Studios will receive the “Industry I... | Retro