Submitted by Lavalamp 761d ago | news

Xbox One was almost called Xbox Infinity, Microsoft's Penello reveals

The original Xbox was once known internally as the "Microsoft Entertainment Activator" and "Real Performance Machine", among other things. A little more sanely, the manufacturer once dreamed of titling its third Xbox console "Xbox Infinity". (Albert Penello, Xbox One)

Alternative Sources
-Foxtrot  +   761d ago
Better name in my opinion
Septic  +   761d ago
Ah so the infinity rumours were true. I much prefer infinity but where do you go from infinity?
BigShotSmoov007  +   761d ago | Funny
and Beyond.
-Foxtrot  +   761d ago
Xbox Beyond

"To infinity... and beyond!"

Damn Bigshot beat me too it....great minds think alike I suppose
#1.1.2 (Edited 761d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(1) | Report
SouthClaw  +   761d ago
Gotta say it... "and beyond"?
Maddens Raiders  +   761d ago
Right. Presuming they would come out with a console in the next 7 or 8 years what would they call it after Infinity? Maybe the "Eternal"? I don't know Infinity is pretty much all encompassing and persistent. I do like the sound of it though.
slimeybrainboy  +   761d ago
To me One is a tangible entity, it's a thing it's real it's a box.

Infinity is a concept, it's ongoing it's intangible, it's a service.

One = Console
Infinity = Service

One makes more sense in my head.
badz149  +   761d ago
Why is it suddenly an issue with "where do you go from infinity?"

M$ has shown that it doesn't really care about logic in naming since the jump to "360" and then back to "ONE" (and goes to 180 in the process too lol), right? Nintendo too with going to 2DS from 3DS (although it's more about the meaning of "2D" itself rather than literally going backwards). Infinity sounds like the better name IMO too. It's not like the next xbox (if any) is going to be named XBox TWO! THAT would be dumb!
dantesparda  +   761d ago

That's cuz your brain is slimey, boy! Just kidding, but Xbox Beyond or infinity sounds better to me. Im sorry but One sounds stupid and arrogant. Like your "the one", like you're the sh!t
#1.1.7 (Edited 761d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report
spicelicka  +   761d ago
I don't think it matters, there's no law saying they have to go higher. I mean they already went backwards from 360 to ONE so....
Maddens Raiders  +   761d ago
Yeah I agree, but it sounds awfully close to Comcast's "XFINITY".

edit/ @4logpc - Yup I failed to mention that as well. That would've definitely put a hair in the soup.
#1.2 (Edited 761d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
4logpc  +   761d ago
Comcast also has a new X1 platform. THey would of been screwed either way ha.
Rowdius_Maximus  +   761d ago
And it looks like a Tivo HD
ginsunuva  +   761d ago
Also Xbox One and Comcast are direct competitors.
come_bom  +   761d ago
Xbox Infinity would be a much better name... Xbox One is such a bad name. Microsoft looks like they're trying to make the X1 fail with so many bad decisions.
Maddens Raiders  +   761d ago
Uncanny isn't it? I posed this same possibility weeks ago. As if there were agent's inside the XBOX division purposefully positioning the new system to fail. Like some sort of financial sabotage.
hollabox  +   761d ago
Don Mattrick effect, he went from an innovator to an arrogant business man. Don's first project he started from scratch with MS instead of building off someone else success. Almost ruined the brand with his lies and policy stance.
My_Outer_Heaven  +   761d ago
Infinity makes so much sense name wise when considering the predecessor was called the 360.. i.e. 360 degrees being a full cycle that loops around and around and around with an infinite possibility.
#1.4 (Edited 761d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Ripsta7th  +   761d ago
Yup way better , X1 makes me think backwards 0_o
MadMen  +   761d ago
Infinity and the symbol are MUCH better than the current name, bad move MS.
buynit  +   761d ago
I agree...
Axonometri  +   761d ago
Yeah, this is a marketing nightmare blunder. A Kindergartener could of told them this. In fact I know a couple that did.

Another Microsoft big change on the Horizon? lol unfortunately too late
#3.2 (Edited 761d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MasterCornholio  +   761d ago
Yeah i like it a lot better as well.

XBOX Infinity: Infinite power with the cloud.

Sounds a lot better then XBOX One: All in one.

P.S And i already stupid cloud processing really is but you cant deny that XBOX Infinity is much better than XBOX One (which reminds me of the first XBOX)
#3.3 (Edited 761d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
EdoubleD  +   761d ago
Much better name. Xbox One is a stupid name for a console in it's 3rd generation.
EXVirtual  +   761d ago
Now that would've been a better name.
Tayto   761d ago | Spam
TheGreatGamer  +   761d ago
Xbox Infinity definitely would've had some cool marketing
BattleReach  +   761d ago
They just should've called it Xbox 3.
maximus1985  +   761d ago
Good idea but then it sounds like your a step behind Sony and the ps4.
MysticStrummer  +   761d ago
If they can call it "XBox One" they could call it " XBox Four" just as easily.

Neither makes much sense beyond being a marketing ploy.
buynit  +   761d ago
Ms should have just called it "xbox live"

It would have at least fit with the direction ms originaly wanted to go! And not only that... Youre promoting both brands at the same damn time! Its always the brain farts that get good jobs..
Hicken  +   761d ago
@maximus: Now they're three steps behind.

Makes PERFECT sense.
nick309  +   761d ago
Xbox Two confirmed
maximus1985  +   761d ago
Heck they've already backtracked this far, might as well backtrack on the name cause infinity is better
AceBlazer13  +   761d ago
Lol your comment amuses me.Bub+
ape007  +   761d ago
xbox infinity is a much much better name imo, xbox one name is kinda awkward/weak imo, my mind automatically thinks of original xbox
#10 (Edited 761d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
AceBlazer13  +   761d ago
That name alone would have gotten them sales.It sounds that badass.
Red_Devilz  +   761d ago
Lol "Microsoft Media Activator"

There you go. Not a gaming device. But, "Media" "Activator".

Complete Marketing BS.
kingmushroom  +   761d ago
a stupid name for stupid console
pyramidshead  +   761d ago
Infinity would have been more chronologically sound. You can't help but question the name Xbox One when it's not Xbox One. It's Xbox Three. lol
buynit  +   761d ago
Xbox live
MasterCornholio  +   761d ago
XBOX Paywall

Just kidding.
BLAKHOODe  +   761d ago
I like Xbox 3.
BLAKHOODe  +   761d ago
I always thought the name "Xbox One" was a cheap shot at Sony, because it also sounds like Xbox "Won" with the success of the Xbox 360.
Swiggins  +   761d ago
Well...they've backtracked on everything else about the console, why not the same?

Hell, pull a New Coke and announce that the Xbox Infinity is going to be the new Microsoft console. Treat it like a whole new machine....we might pretend not to notice.
maniacmayhem  +   761d ago
I always liked the rumor of just calling the next Xbox, Xbox.

To me that would have been simple, easy to say and more logical than Xbox One. I know why they went with One, but it's so obvious it's comical.

In my opinion just naming it Xbox would have been the right route to go in.
Stevino123  +   761d ago
So we could say there were an infinite reasons not buy it? Great Microsoft.
tigertron  +   761d ago
P_Bomb  +   761d ago
XBox Infinity. Better name, better logo, better catchphrases. Never a fan of 'XBox One'. You're only one once. Maybe their 4th console could be Infinity? The marketing practically writes itself. "XBox 4ever", see? Forever = Infinity with the #4 in '4ever' to signify the 4th console. I just did someone's job in my pyjamas, lol.
level 360  +   761d ago
XBox Infinite sounds better.

( Not *Infinity a **Japanese vehicle manufacturer ) which could have been ironic -- an American company using/copying a Japanese brand.

Now quick staring contest.
#23 (Edited 761d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Plagasx  +   761d ago

New PS4/PS Vita Exclusive Sword Art Online Game Announced: Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization

21m ago - During a stage event at the Dengeki Bunko Fall Festival 2015, held today at the Akihabara UDX in... | PS4

All Characters, Costumes, & Stages in Saint Seiya Soldiers Soul

42m ago - There are a total of 72 playable characters, 144 costumes, and 40 stages. | PC

Top US Releases in Cinemas This October

Now - October is upon us and, as award season starts to gear into life, a whole slew of top movie releases hit US cinemas; amongst which will see a retur... | Promoted post

Rainbow Six Siege PS4/Xbox One Tech Analysis [Work In Progress]

43m ago - Digital Foundry: Rainbow Six makes its PS4 and Xbox One debut, and we've been taking a good, h... | PS4

Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence | R3DPlaystation Review

1h ago - Being as old as Mario is pretty crazy in the video game universe. After spanning across 30 years... | PS3

Beyond: Revisiting the Original Uncharted Trilogy

2h ago - The Beyond crew talks about what it's like stepping back in Nathan Drake's shoes all these years... | PS4